The auld farts thread

John Findlay

Doctor FinnBarr

Alpine juice, massive bottles for 11p I think, not the best but it was cheap.

Dragging our bikes up the bings at the just shut Riddochill pit (Blackburn) then riding them down again, we soon progressed to doing it  on all manner of small motorbikes.

Actually being able to walk down the railway tunnel of the Latch pit many years after it closed and being able to climb the emergency winding tower, the fact they'd removed half the ladder didn't deter us.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply
luckyBatistuta

Bel and Sebastian

Whirleybirds

Daktari

Champion, The Wonder Horse

Casey Jones

White Horses

Robinson Crusoe (that bit where he realises the footprint is his own....)

The Flashing Blade

The Banana Splits ("Siiiize of an elephant!")

Scones and pancakes at your aunties watching Glenn Michael's Cavalcade

Loved Champion the Wonderhorse, also had a massive picture on my wall of Hannibal Heyes (Pete Duel) on my wall from Alias Smith and Jones?upset, when I found out he had committed suicide.

Randle P McMurphy

Going to the Saturday morning matinees at the Embassy picture house on Boswell Parkway. It was demolished years ago.

Playing on a beautiful sandy beach at Royston, near the gasworks. That has disappeared too.

Sitting in the freezing, smelly Anderson air raid shelter in the back green of our flat on Royston Mains Avenue, waiting for the 'All Clear' to sound so that we could go back to bed.

Standing in a queue in front of a shop on Crewe Road North, hoping to buy sweeties that had just come off rationing. They sold out before I got any.

Meeting my dad for the first time, as he got off a train at Waverly station, coming home from the war.

I might be an auld fart in my own right. Despite that and living in this area for most of my life, your memories are alien to me!

Maybe we need an ancient fart thread for maple leaf! Sorry mate.

That's a real poignant story about meeting your dad. Hard times but happy times in the main.

Royston Mains? A terrible rough place. At least Ian Crawford had the good sense to live in Wardieburn when he scored the winning goal against Celtic in the 1956 cup final. My mum talks about seeing him get out a taxi after getting home that night. The taxi was his special treat to himself, changed days for footballers.

Royston Mains? A terrible rough place. At least Ian Crawford had the good sense to live in Wardieburn when he scored the winning goal against Celtic in the 1956 cup final. My mum talks about seeing him get out a taxi after getting home that night. The taxi was his special treat to himself, changed days for footballers.

I knew Ian  quite well, he was raised in the Gifford Park/ Buccleugh  Street area as a kid, he might have been married by 1956 and living in the Wardieburn area, he had a really good looking girl friend the last I had anything to do with him, and that was 1952. Saw him sometimes as a Hearts player, but we had reached a stage of just exchanging nods. As a teenager he was apprenticing as a plumber, and his tradesman was a wee fat guy who played in the brass band at Tynie.  As the saying goes, it wisnae yesterday.

At fifteen I started an apprenticeship in the Viewforth Garage Viewforth Terrace.  It wasn't really an apprenticeship, the boss had no intention of protecting me from National Service, and I had no intention of not going to the army, so I spent 2and a 1/2 years as young cheap labour, but was glad of it because I had a few muscles which served me well in the army. One of the  other apprentices actually ended up owning the garage, and the other George Tidy finished his apprenticeship, and his N/S and later played goal for Dunfermline.

At that time most of my age group did serve apprenticeship, Bill Duff worked with his Dad their shop was in Bruntisfield, we used to meet quite often going to jobs. Ian Crawfords mates were in a variety of trades, my two bestest mates were one a joiner the other an electrician. When I came out of the army and joined the police they said I was crazy working shifts etc. We again didn't have much to do with each other after that. I often wondrr if they retired at age fifty six.

crunchy frog

Getting barred from Gio the ice cream man in Clerie for calling him a microphone heid (he had an afro)

The Real Maroonblood

What a great thread with some poignant stories.

I stayed in the southside and spent a lot of time in the park and sometimes being chased by the parkies.

As well as onion johnies there was an ice cream man who came round in a pedal bike.

I remember we had an outside loo.

Mind my Mum having all her pals round for a "Tupperware Party".

We were banished to our bedrooms playing Kerplunk whilst they got maracas on Babycham listening to Top of The Pops Albums.

Pity Esther Rantzen hadn't invented Childline yet.

On occasions my mum would host a 'Pippa Dee' party, which I thought was awesome as there was always a big table of buffet food in the kitchen and us kids were allowed to help ourselves on the promise that we "bugger off and play in your room" while they all got wasted. My dad was banished to the pub (not that he put up much of a debate about it).

Салатные палочки

My mum used to have clothes parties. A big rack of clothes would be delivered on a truck from god knows where, proably a catalogue. There would be loads of women there drinking, dancing and no doubt talking about their mens shortcomings. I dont remember much clothes being sold but we would be in our room playing fuzzy felts or whatever. My old man would be at work or as above, out getting pissed.

Jambo-Jimbo

What a great thread with some poignant stories.

I stayed in the southside and spent a lot of time in the park and sometimes being chased by the parkies.

As well as onion johnies there was an ice cream man who came round in a pedal bike.

I remember we had an outside loo.

Outside Loo in the winter, now that used to be fun.

Cut up newspaper for bog paper.

Some super stories and reading them has brought back many memories from my childhood.

The Real Maroonblood

Outside Loo in the winter, now that used to be fun.

Cut up newspaper for bog paper.

Some super stories and reading them has brought back many memories from my childhood.

There are a few newspapers I would like to use today.

Bel and Sebastian

Whirleybirds

Daktari

Champion, The Wonder Horse

Casey Jones

White Horses

Robinson Crusoe (that bit where he realises the footprint is his own....)

The Flashing Blade

The Banana Splits ("Siiiize of an elephant!")

Scones and pancakes at your aunties watching Glenn Michael's Cavalcade

Boots and Saddles

The Lone Ranger

Rawhide

Wagon Train

The Buccaneers

highlandjambo3

Oh man, the ice cream floats were ace. Had to be american cream soda. Loved the way it foamed up before tucking in.

Do folk still ask for a 'Black Man' from the ice cream van!?!

Did they not change the name to a slider??

Talk-o-the-North

blagging dinner trays from the school kitchen to slide on in the winter

A Tennents tray also did the job.

I remember getting a bath in the kitchen sink at my granny's.....

Me too :lol:

Was it only grannies that did this?

John Findlay

Slider is just ice cream between to non chocolate wafers. Blackman is ice cream between wafers with chocolate round the edges. To the youngsters looking in. We auld farts have our own language too :-)

The Real Maroonblood

In Glasgow they are posher and call it a nougat wafer.

John Findlay

A lot of my relatives on my dad's side are from through the west and a blackman through there was called a Pakistani.

Me too :lol:

Was it only grannies that did this?

I think so. Never seemed to happen anywhere else.  :laugh:

The Real Maroonblood

A lot of my relatives on my dad's side are from through the west and a blackman through there was called a Pakistani.

A few Glaswegians that I know said it was a nougat wafer. Maybe it depends on what part of Glasgow you come from.

Stuart Lyon

What about a 'Basher" Wafer with ice cream and a snowball then another wafer! Also Oysters. Half the oyster was covered in chocolate and coconut the other half being wafer. Half the inside was full of mallow like the inside of a snowball and the space that was left took a scoop of ice cream.

John Findlay

A few Glaswegians that I know said it was a nougat wafer. Maybe it depends on what part of Glasgow you come from.

Aye true. Nougat must have been Bearsden the posh bit:-)

John Findlay

Port open air pool. The s3nse of achievement if you managed to get to and on the raft. Water was always freezing but, I swear the water at the open air pool at North Berwick was colder. The ironic thing is North Berwick advertised it as heated!!!!

A wee video that might be of interest to the Royston boys!

Great video.  A lot more cars in the video than in my day; speed bumps too.  And I noticed that Royston school was still there.

John Findlay

Great video. A lot more cars in the video than in my day; speed bumps too. And I noticed that Royston school was still there.

That video is at least 5yrs old. Craigroyston school is at the bottom of Pennywell Road now not the top. That's all houses now

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Getting your hair dried in front of the 3 bar electric fire on a Sunday night.

Getting annoyed as you had to change sides and you couldnae see the telly.

John Findlay

Dad used to go through my hair with a bone comb after dipping g it in vinegar searching for head lice or more commonly referred to as beasties and nits

I might be an auld fart in my own right. Despite that and living in this area for most of my life, your memories are alien to me!

Maybe we need an ancient fart thread for maple leaf! Sorry mate.

That's a real poignant story about meeting your dad. Hard times but happy times in the main.

Can't argue with that, but I'm a youngster compared to Bob!

You're right about Edinburgh (and everywhere else) being a hard place to live during the war.  But everyone was in the same boat, so nobody felt deprived.  Everything, and I mean everything, was rationed, and some things were just not available.  Older people used to talk about ice cream and sweeties and bananas, but young kids like me had never seen them.

I remember the first time I saw an apple, other than in a picture.  I got it for Christmas.  I couldn't believe my eyes.  My mum told me it came from Canada.  It was wonderful.

We kids had it lucky compared to the grown-ups.  My dad went into the army in 1940, and didn't get home again until the war ended in 1945, but at least he survived, unlike a couple of the other men on our street. My mother, an ordinary housewife, had to get a job, and worked in Bruce Peebles in Pilton, as a welder making Bofors anti-aircraft guns.  And had to raise a family at the same time.  The mothers of that era were incredible for what they did under very difficult conditions.

highlandjambo3

yes but......weegies also call all bottles of juice (and cans) ginger................for some strange reason so.............walk into a weegie shop and ask for a bottle of ginger.....the shop keeper will say "aye...........what type"?  at which point you can reply "cola".................this is all part of the norm

The Real Maroonblood

yes but......weegies also call all bottles of juice (and cans) ginger................for some strange reason so.............walk into a weegie shop and ask for a bottle of ginger.....the shop keeper will say "aye...........what type"?  at which point you can reply "cola".................this is all part of the norm

That is a strange one.

A wee video that might be of interest to the Royston boys!

ah robbin cars eh? did ye get caught?

I think I just had an epiphany.  I always wondered why Globe lemonades were in a ball shaped bottle, it just dawned on me reading this thread it was because they were shaped like a globe.  After all these years I can go to meet my maker with one of my lifes mysteries solved. Halleluja Kickback.

Carl Fredrickson

White dog poo

Used to see it loads when I was growing up in the 70s (I used to think it came from dalmations and other white dogs....)

Recording the top 40 on a Sunday onto a cassette tape only for the DJ to ruin your favourite song by talking halfway through it :raging:

J.T.F.Robertson

I remember getting a bath in the kitchen sink at my granny's.....

Tin bath in front of the fire, sometimes followed by the dug.

John Findlay

Tin bath in front of the fire, sometimes followed by the dug.

You threw the dug into the fire?? :-)

WorldChampions1902

I loved visiting my Gran at Bingham at the weekend because she would always treat us to a fish supper from the mobile fish & chip shops that came round the estate. These were clapped out, ancient, single decker buses that had been converted with all the deep fat fryers and hot plates etc.

Can you imagine that today? An old bus travelling round housing estates with huge deep fat fryers filled with boiling hot fat? A Health & Safety nightmare. The fish suppers were braw.

The walls ice cream van, and alpine ginger.

Chewing gum sticking to your trainers in the summer, when the place was roasting.(Writing mentions in the pavement). Knowing everyone.

Talk-o-the-North

The walls ice cream van, and alpine ginger.

Chewing gum sticking to your trainers in the summer, when the place was roasting.(Writing mentions in the pavement). Knowing everyone.

Also when it was roasting the tarmac would be bubble on the road in our street - hours of fun poppin it as a kid.

I loved visiting my Gran at Bingham at the weekend because she would always treat us to a fish supper from the mobile fish & chip shops that came round the estate. These were clapped out, ancient, single decker buses that had been converted with all the deep fat fryers and hot plates etc.

Can you imagine that today? An old bus travelling round housing estates with huge deep fat fryers filled with boiling hot fat? A Health & Safety nightmare. The fish suppers were braw.

I remember those often bought my pie supper for my piece break in the police box at Wauchope Avenue, there was also an Italian guy had a few ice cream vans with a big loudspeaker on the roof.  We got dozens of compaints about the noise charged him a couple of times thrown out of Court because we couldn't prove it was a a radio.  But the Polis are no daft, we started calling our radio station at the Blackfords to get an expert as a witness to prove they were radios.  He would have been cheaper paying the fines as by the time( it takes a long time to get from the Blackford to Niddrie, especially if you stop for your tea first) our expert witness got there he had lost a lot of customers.

Niddrie Polis 1 Ice Cream Man 0

Adam Murray

The summer of 76, feckin roasting

Fractured skull on the first week of the school holidays back then, hanging upside down on the monkey bars and fell off, no soft rubbery landing then, just concrete!

Adam Murray

Always remember staying at grandparents in gilmerton dykes crescent and getting a blackman from the ice cream van. Always used to check over my shoulder as a chap called Cherry used to stay across the road and he was in fact a black man ( used to work in a kwik fit in edinburgh if I remember rightly).

Remember going out ages 12 or 13 on my racer bike for about 8 hours at a time and not giving a crap about cars.

It was Sherrie (Sherwan) and his brother Randy, only black family in Gilmerton back in the day, great lads and very good football players. Would see their old man walking up Gillie Dykes Street every day to the bookies

Jambo-Jimbo

Recording the top 40 on a Sunday onto a cassette tape only for the DJ to ruin your favourite song by talking halfway through it :raging:

And I thought I was the only sado that done that.   :lol: 

Archived