European Football could be cancelled?

avhudtheteeshirt

avhudtheteeshirt

Sorry to say but having listened to STV sport tonight, Doncaster is saying that Scottish Clubs may be omitted from top European competition as they only want Spain, France, Germany, Italy and England to compete to maximise revenue for their already overpaid elite teams!!!

If this is true and comes to fruition where does that leave World football never mind European?

As we all know football is mainly the first sport of many European nations and has been gradually devalued with 3 and 4 teams entering the Champions League from the biggest nations leaving others who won their own championships to face up to 6 games to get into the League proper.

To then say sorry but we don't want or need you to compete is one big slap in the face in my book!

All that will happen is that when it goes ahead, all the monies will make them so big that the next 2 countries will be dropped so on and so forth till, the German or the English Leagues will be the Champions League.

Just give it time!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35557830

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
chester copperpot

Im surprised that the CL brings in such huge numbers still as I cant remember the last game I watched and Ive got BT sport.

Im probably in the minority though although in the past would have watched it religiously when it was on, regardless of who was playing.

Dungcaster saying it would become boring with the top teams or select few playing each other all the time, What?! like selling tv rights on the premise that The Rangers & Celtic would be playing each other 4+ times a season? that kinda boring? God give me strength, that guy is just a Buffoon.

Can't see it happening, too many legal implications. Looking at football as a business (Which it is for the owners and those trying to implement these changes) I would imagine there are rules and laws in Brussels at the EU which would stop other European member countries from not being allowed to trade equally. 

As much as they may only want the rich clubs I genuinely cant see this happening, the only possible scenario is a European super league type setup

The Mighty Thor

It's the logical extension of what's being going on for years since the Champos league came into being.

TV money feeding a league which generates more money and its self fulfilling.

On the positive side no more money for ra sellick their attendance will fall and Scottish football will go on in a probably more competitive manner.

Interesting as it appears it's the richest clubs trying to get richer. Teams like Chelsea and Man City might not have got near that years ago. Would it be open to the 'new money' of Russian clubs?

I can imagine all but the top few clubs in the richest leagues would be against it, as would their national associations as it reduces ability to attract TV revenue.

Haven't read enough on it btw, just initial thoughts on snippets I have heard/read.

Governor Tarkin

Im surprised that the CL brings in such huge numbers still as I cant remember the last game I watched and Ive got BT sport.

Me too. I've completely lost interest in it. Can't be bolloxed with the English premiership these days either. They both just feel so far removed that I can't identify with any of it.

I'd rather be freezing my nads off watching dross at Tynie any day of the week.

As soon as clubs start making their own leagues and football stops being a meritocracy, the baw's burst and I'd be jacking it in.

Seymour M Hersh

Dungcaster saying it would become boring with the top teams or select few playing each other all the time, What?! like selling tv rights on the premise that The Rangers & Celtic would be playing each other 4+ times a season? that kinda boring? God give me strength, that guy is just a Buffoon.

Agree with this.

avhudtheteeshirt

Would be a lesser Euro tournament for 'smaller' countries

can see it coming

They call it "The Europa League" just now. Soon to be the European Petrofac Cup!!!!!!!!

There are plenty of times when I hanker for the old days of European competitions with a straight knockout European Cup, UEFA Cup and the excellent random Cup Winners Cup. It was the rarity value of European football that was the attraction plus the puncher's chance element of the cup competition. If the Euro Super Self Selecting League happens then I hope it flops and flops very, very badly.

think the ball is just about burst with the champions league.

all massive football fans at my work and nobody is really interested in the champs league now.

basically just the same old regurgitated games year on year. 

flooding the competition with 4 teams from the elite leagues has done for it, imo, it has definitely gone stale .  

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The NFL has endured for over 50 years. Expansion to 32 teams now but did have less.

I think this is their model. They should be careful though there are reasons why that are far less practical in football.

I wouldn't miss European football as it exists now. It is a carve up and becoming more so.

Not sure if they feel threatened by the Chinese.

Be interesting to see how it pans out. We may one day see a meaningful World Club tournament but more than likely covering a handful of nations from 3 continents

There are plenty of times when I hanker for the old days of European competitions with a straight knockout European Cup, UEFA Cup and the excellent random Cup Winners Cup. It was the rarity value of European football that was the attraction plus the puncher's chance element of the cup competition.

Correct, the extra tournament the Cup Winners Cup which gave anyone a real shot at a European trophy as there was some right poor teams in that.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Some sort of European super league is inevitable IMO, with the bigger clubs probably leaving their domestic leagues. The World Club Championship will become the new "Champions League".

There are plenty of times when I hanker for the old days of European competitions with a straight knockout European Cup, UEFA Cup and the excellent random Cup Winners Cup. It was the rarity value of European football that was the attraction plus the puncher's chance element of the cup competition. If the Euro Super Self Selecting League happens then I hope it flops and flops very, very badly.

Those days are, sadly, gone.

Money rules and corrupts as it always does.

tartofmidlothian

Correct, the extra tournament the Cup Winners Cup which gave anyone a real shot at a European trophy as there was some right poor teams in that.

Like Aberdeen? :whistling:

alwaysthereinspirit

Doncaster runs our game. That should be embarrassing enough for Queen Anne. Get him to **** sooner than later.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The beauty of European football back then was you knew very little about the teams. Now you know most of the teams from the major nations and even quite a few from small ones.

The larger nations have more lucrative league football to the extent West ham actually found it a huge inconvenience.

Not only has the mystery gone but the integrity.

When you have a former winner like Aberdeen chuffed they ran a team from Kazakhstan close it shows how we have sunk. But that is inevitable without access to investment and who would invest in Scottish football?

Grim picture

tartofmidlothian

Am I alone on obsessing over the teams I follow (two of them), looking out for the results of teams around them and not giving a **** about anyone else?

I don't give a shit who wins out of Athletico v Milan or Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund.

The big problem here is that we are continually told that our game here is dreadful, and that the EPL and Champions League is wonderful. The people who run the game here are mainly responsible for this Doncaster in particular has talked the game here down frequently. Simple fact is that FIFA and UEFA are now riddled with corruption and we need them ditched and a new body set in place. Sadly the same thing needs to happen here, with people running the show who care about the game and not just rimming the backsides of those in charge of Celtic and Rangers.

chester copperpot

Me too. I've completely lost interest in it. Can't be bolloxed with the English premiership these days either. They both just feel so far removed that I can't identify with any of it.

I'd rather be freezing my nads off watching dross at Tynie any day of the week.

I've got right back into the EPL this season due to mainly Leicester and a few other teams meaning that almost every game is highly unpredictable.

Although watching my own EPL team has been excruciating at times though :lol:

Like Aberdeen? :whistling:

Some team they sheep sha**ers back then,lucky for them it absolutely pissed with rain when they beat Real Madrid,I recon it was a game changer.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This is like them saying lets have a World Cup without the teams from Asia or Africa.

Doesnt matter if you can create the illusion. Players come from all over.

Back to the Nfl they crowned world champions on Sunday.

There are new audience's. Global ones. Armchair corporate and gambling ones.

Whilst that exists money to be made for those so priveleged.

Nobody should discount it happening

Would be a lesser Euro tournament for 'smaller' countries

can see it coming

True and I wouldn't have a problem with that, they can stick their champions league up their arse. 

HMFC for the diddy cup.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Some team they sheep sha**ers back then,lucky for them it absolutely pissed with rain when they beat Real Madrid,I recon it was a game changer.

To get there they beat Bayern Munich who were really strong. As much as I hate the sheep I can't argue with that win. They followed it up by beating Hamburg who won the European Cup. And they only lost to a late goal in the semi finals against Porto in their defence of the trophy.

Changed days

Stupid Sexy Flanders

The big problem here is that we are continually told that our game here is dreadful, and that the EPL and Champions League is wonderful. The people who run the game here are mainly responsible for this Doncaster in particular has talked the game here down frequently. Simple fact is that FIFA and UEFA are now riddled with corruption and we need them ditched and a new body set in place. Sadly the same thing needs to happen here, with people running the show who care about the game and not just rimming the backsides of those in charge of Celtic and Rangers.

Correct.

To get there they beat Bayern Munich who were really strong. As much as I hate the sheep I can't argue with that win. 

Changed days

Aye wi their free kick that consisted of two players making a James Hunt out of taking it then when the Bayern defenders stopped for a split second they swing it into the box and scored ,McLeish I think??

Im probably in the minority though although in the past would have watched it religiously when it was on, regardless of who was playing.

pretty boring most of the time now. I think for even the regulars it can't be overly exciting now as it must be just like a domestic league season unless they progress and get the excitement of the latter stages.

For teams that rarely get there I can imagine it's a great feeling for the fans and club(possibly like Leicester who may make it) but on the whole it's becoming an anti climax.

Even some of the knockout matches are tame affairs as teams swan about playing cagey football. Long gone are the days of rip roaring nights at the TOD or blood and thunder Chelsea -Liverpool style nights.....it's all self appreciating, indulgent guff as the elite continue to prosper.

One day I hope football goes full circle and realise it used to be about the chance of glory for anyone and stop freezing out the underdog. It's what made the game in the first place.

J Cheever Loophole

Am I alone on obsessing over the teams I follow (two of them), looking out for the results of teams around them and not giving a **** about anyone else?

I don't give a shit who wins out of Athletico v Milan or Arsenal v Borussia Dortmund.

Naw, I can't whatch any other team bar HMFC on the box and that's only if I can't be there. I do like to look out for the team from the city I was born in do well. EPL and the like, poke it!

pretty boring most of the time now. I think for even the regulars it can't be overly exciting now as it must be just like a domestic league season unless they progress and get the excitement of the latter stages.

For teams that rarely get there I can imagine it's a great feeling for the fans and club(possibly like Leicester who may make it) but on the whole it's becoming an anti climax.

Even some of the knockout matches are tame affairs as teams swan about playing cagey football. Long gone are the days of rip roaring nights at the TOD or blood and thunder Chelsea -Liverpool style nights.....it's all self appreciating, indulgent guff as the elite continue to prosper.

One day I hope football goes full circle and realise it used to be about the chance of glory for anyone and stop freezing out the underdog. It's what made the game in the first place.

Decent thoughts but as Sir Gio said further up the thread, there are global audiences paying daft money to continue making money for these arseholes.

A great fantasy to think we could go back but the reality is it ain't going to happen.

As a proper football competition it's being dying on its arse for years now. It's more or less a money pit for the elite dozen or so clubs in 4 countries. For the neutral fan it's become tired and repetitive with very few exciting games. I watch it still but wouldnt alter other plans plans to see it and can think of half a dozen things I'd rather do of an evening.

For the fans of clubs who are being excluded under the revamp(Celtic being a prime example), then join the club with the rest of us. This would kill off European football below elite level once and for all. The state that UEFA have taken it into, no one will much care really. Look at the Europa League. Most of the decent teams in it are there because they are 'losers' and they only take part because they are contractually obliged. It's a farce of a tournament as well.

Doesn't really effect Hearts in any way since getting to the meaty bits of the CL has been made virtually impossible for clubs like us already. Kills Celtic if it goes through (which is the sole reason Doncaster is all over it)so not entirely a bad thing for our domestic game.

alwaysthereinspirit

Aye wi their free kick that consisted of two players making a James Hunt out of taking it then when the Bayern defenders stopped for a split second they swing it into the box and scored ,McLeish I think??

A free kick practiced on the training pitch. Genius. Right about McLeish I think. Strachan took it, not sure who the third party was.

Maroon tinted glasses 2

The only effect it would have on us is the "celtic want to move to England" chat would become a monthly headline rather than the usual annual punt.

gorgie rd eh11

The "Champions" league has been a borefest for a good few years now. It sells satellite dishes in Asia but it's a long time since it had anything to do with sport. I stopped paying to watch football on tv a long time ago and won't ever again as long as the big clubs and countries continue to destroy it.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

A free kick practiced on the training pitch. Genius. Right about McLeish I think. Strachan took it, not sure who the third party was.

Peter Weir?

alwaysthereinspirit

Peter Weir?

Just watched it on You Tube. McMaster. You need to watch it just for the non booking tackle near the end. Unbelievable. Even Scott Brown would have seen red.

mahgrassyshoes

Doncaster can hardly complain. He heads a league system that is set up to benefit 2 clubs primarily whilst keeping a handful of clubs in the top league. The SPFL set up is just as bad as the European set up.

If UEFA decide no Scottish clubs are in the Champions League that is only going to hurt Celtic. That can only be a good thing for Scottish football. No other Scottish club's fans expect their club to be involved in the champions league (although the the Rangers fans probably do long term) so it won't affect the core Scottish football support.

It is a sign of how far the big European clubs, and UEFA, have crawled up their own arses though.

Dongcaster is only flapping his yap as a proxy for his master, Lawwell. He and Celtic will be furious at the prospect of them being locked out of any future arrangements. Dongcaster is merely the mouth.

Archived