Drinking in the Pub Alone

AlphonseCapone

I don't disagree with you BB, but I travel mostly in the US and the chain restaurants, i.e. Joes Crab House (where I went last night, and it was barry), Outback, Bubba Gump, Cheesecake, Chilis, etc, etc., all have a bar area where you sit either at a bar or high top. And they almost all have sport on multiple TV's.

However, like you, I would not go a white table cloth place on my own.

I will stick to the pubs this weekend though as its Valentines.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not adverse to a few pints of so on my own; quite enjoy it, especially if I've had a smoke to go with it.  :thumbsup:

Pub/bar has to have the right feel to it, and never before mid-afternoon. 

Glad someone pulled up FWJ on his post - well done Tarkin.  Like why else would I drink; certainly nit for the taste.  :lol:

Hugh. I've traveled for work for years but have never once gone for a meal on my own. Sandwich or a burger in a pub yes but never in a restaurant.

The thought of asking for a table for one with a book or paper is too sad for me!

I don't disagree with you BB, but I travel mostly in the US and the chain restaurants, i.e. Joes Crab House (where I went last night, and it was barry), Outback, Bubba Gump, Cheesecake, Chilis, etc, etc., all have a bar area where you sit either at a bar or high top. And they almost all have sport on multiple TV's.

However, like you, I would not go a white table cloth place on my own.

I will stick to the pubs this weekend though as its Valentines.

You are missing out big style ,going to a restaurant or pub is probably the best part alone,smell the food/atmosphere,taste the drink then look around and order, no worries about what anyone's choices or problems,I eat out alone,I'm married but live apart while working, I love my wife,imagine walking into a restaurant not thinking of someone else all the time...boom ..magic..sitting alone people watching is as cool as fruk,eat what and where you want,generally the experience is what you make it 'sometimes the shitiest pub will turn out best and the Michelin star restaurant will turn out worst ,but believe me, because you're not thinking of other people,you certainly have the time to chill ,think of the Jambos and appreciate life ,good food n drink

As for valentines ?why not? Nothing to lose,have a good?meal and maybe meet someone on the same track????

You are missing out big style ,going to a restaurant or pub is probably the best part alone,smell the food/atmosphere,taste the drink then look around and order, no worries about what anyone's choices or problems,I eat out alone,I'm married but live apart while working, I love my wife,imagine walking into a restaurant not thinking of someone else all the time...boom ..magic..sitting alone people watching is as cool as fruk,eat what and where you want,generally the experience is what you make it 'sometimes the shitiest pub will turn out best and the Michelin star restaurant will turn out worst ,but believe me, because you're not thinking of other people,you certainly have the time to chill ,think of the Jambos and appreciate life ,good food n drink

As for valentines ?why not? Nothing to lose,have a good?meal and maybe meet someone on the same track????

Spot on. Just what i'm about to do again tonight.  :2thumbsup:

Say What Again

The folk saying they did it while waiting for friends, clearly don't count. That's waiting on your pals, not going for a drink on your own.

Likewise the guys away with work (been there). That's not going for a drink on your own. You have nobody else to go with.

There are really only two types of folk who genuinely enjoy heading out for a pint on thier own, not caring if they meet anyone else. Losers and jakeys. I'm both.

Guys getting half an hours peace from the kids don't count either. You'd savour that half hour in an igloo with a tattered copy of the dandy, if it was quiet.

The folk saying they did it while waiting for friends, clearly don't count. That's waiting on your pals, not going for a drink on your own.

Likewise the guys away with work (been there). That's not going for a drink on your own. You have nobody else to go with.

There are really only two types of folk who genuinely enjoy heading out for a pint on thier own, not caring if they meet anyone else. Losers and jakeys. I'm both.

Guys getting half an hours peace from the kids don't count either. You'd savour that half hour in an igloo with a tattered copy of the dandy, if it was quiet.

This. It is a rare treat to give yourself some 'me time'. It is fine to chill out and just to give your brain sometime to process the stuff it hasn't had due to life taking over.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I travel a lot with work and therefore it's usually my only option. I'm in Califonia at the moment, and went to a chain restaurant last night for dinner, sat at the bar and the bar staff were full of banter. They soon got me involved with all the other punters sitting at the bar and it turned out to be very enjoyable couple of hours.

On my walk back, the pub next door to the hotel was rammed so I went in for a nightcap. Later, at 10:30, I had just ordered my second pint, when the pub just seemed to empty within about 5 minutes. I very quickly noticed that I was, quite literaly, drinking in the pub alone. I chatted to the barman for a few minutes then supped up and went home to bed.

In summary, I have no problem drinking in the pub 'on my own', but find it kinda weird drinking in the pub 'alone', if you get my drift.

I'm the same, ive traveled for work continuously for the past 16 years and have no worries about going out on my own. Sometimes I take my book with me, other times I'll just read stuff on my phone or watch TV. Bar staff in the US seem to be a lot more talkative when you're out drinking on your own.

A Boy Named Crow

The solo skite is a thing of beauty, taken with a paper it's perfect! With the advent of smart phones it has become even better.

Well, I don't really drink, and I'm not that shy, but I have been known to nip in to a coffeeshop for a quickie on the way home (Holland)

It always seems more attractive than it actually is though and what I think will be a relaxed, luxurious hour usually ends up being 10 minutes of wishing I hadn't wasted my money and had just carried on home.

But then I'm a homer me, I love being in the house- I'd rather have friends round than meet them somewhere any day

Not quite as per the original topic, but a case in point on my earlier ramblings.

Went out tonight in California for some dinner. Sat at the bar and had some very nice food and a wee chat with the bar staff (2 very nice college girls).

Then went onto another bar, and within seconds of sitting down and ordering a beer, the big dude next to me, with his bursd, goes 'where you from man'. This very quickly turned into an very sociable session of 'life stories', beers, shots and swapping contact details. I made my excuses, and left after a couple of hours. But this is a common experience, and by no means an unpleasant one, when drinking alone in the U.S.

I have learned to salute this social abnormality, and fully embrace this 5 minute friendship for what it is. Bottom line is it often makes a lonely night out, into something more memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been in Oz for a few months and one night when the GF wasn't up for much I went to the local. A really quiet betting shop pub in the outskirks of Melbourne. A random older guy, probably 60's, walked up and asked if I had a bet on the next race (a chariot race in the states from memory). We blethered for 3 hours about Scotland and Oz. A reformed Junkie who now does educational sessions in school which is a line of work we had in common. Only downside is that they have no idea what a pint is over here.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

My mate lost his passport last summer before we were going to Dublin for the pre season fixtures.

Wasn't sure whether to go or not but went on my own and had a blast :thumbsup:

Met some other Hearts supporters (through the help of Kickback) and they were all brand new.

Hugh. I've traveled for work for years but have never once gone for a meal on my own....

The thought of asking for a table for one with a book or paper is too sad for me!

Pft. Just go to an Italian restaurant and ask to sit in the corner or somewhere at the back and amuse yourself by pretending you're mafia.

I don't think anyone really cares if you're on your own in the pub. When's the last time you were in the pub or the cinema etc, saw someone on their own, and actually cared?

I wouldn't. But personally its a lot sadder going to the pub on your own then fiddling with your phone every 5 seconds for the benefit of those in the pub probably not even paying attention to you than sitting actually just looking as if you are enjoying yourself.

Bridge of Djoum

My wife and kids are off to down to Florida Sunday morning, leaving me home alone.

I will absolutely be in a bar, on my own, with my paper, laptop or 442 magazine.

Just because I can.

I do a fair bit of travelling with work and I'd much rather go for a few pints on my own than sit in a hotel room on my own. Smart phones have made the experience much more tolerable though as there's always JKB to post shite on when you've finished the paper and/or there's no sport on in the pub!

This.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I don't mind a couple of pints on my own sometimes. If there is a live game on and I am passing a pub I will often drop in or if I have been shopping up town I will sometimes head to a favourite boozer to look through what I have purchased and read any reading material on hand. Something different and relaxing and not sad in a no mates kind of way.

One of the most underrated, pleasurable experiences one can have!!!

Except on a Saturday night tho! I do think that's a bit weird.......

Creep, went to the Albion on my own a few times. Couldn't be worse

Not quite as per the original topic, but a case in point on my earlier ramblings.

Went out tonight in California for some dinner. Sat at the bar and had some very nice food and a wee chat with the bar staff (2 very nice college girls).

Then went onto another bar, and within seconds of sitting down and ordering a beer, the big dude next to me, with his bursd, goes 'where you from man'. This very quickly turned into an very sociable session of 'life stories', beers, shots and swapping contact details. I made my excuses, and left after a couple of hours. But this is a common experience, and by no means an unpleasant one, when drinking alone in the U.S.

I have learned to salute this social abnormality, and fully embrace this 5 minute friendship for what it is. Bottom line is it often makes a lonely night out, into something more memorable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to find the same deal when I lived in Oregon. Seemed to be easier to strike up conversations over there.

In these days of instant communication can we all not cry irony here ?

How many of us have a wee drink and partake of a chat with others online ?

Pub...computer....same thing surely !

Going for a drink is ok, cinema no problem, can't quite pull off going to a gig alone though.

Going to a gig alone is the easiest. When the music is on you can't hold a conversation anyway.

Done it a couple of times before, I like to find a quiet corner, and sit and relax with a book.

It's nothing to do with confidence or not caring what other people think. I'm there to relax and have a quiet pint.

If I've been at work all day, the last thing I want is to have to sit and listen to someone else's chat.

Rudi-Robertson

If there's a game I fancy watching then I'll go for a few solo beers, I'm not a fan of going out with "the lads" to watch a game in the pub because there's always something or someone distracting you while trying to watch the game

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

If I had the option of meeting a friend(s) for drinks, I would choose to do so, however if no one is available I am quite happy to go for a few drinks on my own. If there's football on then I have absolutely no problem. If not, then I am happy to sit with a paper.

I wouldn't go out on a Saturday night though. There is something just too sad about that.

This might be a sign of me getting a little older but previously I could never imagine me going to the pub on my own for a few.

Today though, I have something on later and no one was up for leaving work early and I've found myself in the pub on my own, ipod on, drinking a few pints and it's a fairly enjoyable experience.

Am I normal or sad, you decide JKB?

One of the few pleasures in life drinking alone.  Love it.  

Malcolm Tucker

Last year until August I'd frequently go to the pub by myself. I was living in a horrible, soulless flat with a guy who just stayed in his room 24/7, with the TV, Sky and games consoles. My room was tiny (it was cheap, hence why I moved there in the first place) and having stayed there for over a year it felt like a prison. I'd go to a couple of pubs in Dennistoun basically every night, maybe only having 1 or 2 pints at a time but staying for a good couple of hours. It felt like a holiday compared to staying in the flat.

Since I moved out in August (into a much better flat with a mate) I don't really do it at all. Sometimes if there's a game of football I want to see as we don't have Sky Sports/BT I'll head out to my local on my todd. Those rough months in the East End of Glasgow have warmed me to it, though. I like my own company, I like alcohol and I like pubs. Makes sense.

Do it all the time.  Also quite happy going on holiday on my own and eating and drinking out.  Gigs can be problematic if you want to go to the loo or the bar and want to get back to your spot in the crowd, but I've managed this too. 

There's actually really something to be said for going to the theatre or cinema on your own.  You can get really immersed in it, and you're not sitting fretting whether your significant other is hating every minute.

I'm single, I live on my own, and sometimes you have to get on with it and not let your status dictate whether you get out and enjoy yourself.

Remnants of Standards

Looking back just before Xmas I hit my own rock bottom when I ate alone in a Jimmy Chungs in Inverness with only a Private Eye mag to mop up the tears.

I got through 4 plates too. Would have downed a 5th but someone sneezed in the noodles.

Back in November I was coming back from Newcastle. Stepped off the train onto the bus and was heading home. Bus broke down at Roseburn and we were emptied off into the pissing rain.

Nipped into the Scotmid for a paper and then went into the Roseburn. Mid-day, around 2pm. Found a seat no bother, had two pints and dried up in a warm bar. Finished the paper and headed home around 3/4pm. Not going to lie, it was absolutely top notch.

Back in November I was coming back from Newcastle. Stepped off the train onto the bus and was heading home. Bus broke down at Roseburn and we were emptied off into the pissing rain.

Nipped into the Scotmid for a paper and then went into the Roseburn. Mid-day, around 2pm. Found a seat no bother, had two pints and dried up in a warm bar. Finished the paper and headed home around 3/4pm. Not going to lie, it was absolutely top notch.

Hope they had the big open fire on, just to make it absolutely perfect!    :thumb:

Trying this out now, not what it's cracked up to be

It all depends on the company...    :whistling:

Trying this out now, not what it's cracked up to be

more alcohol helps, as does the right boozer.

Hartleys_Jam_Tart

Drinking on my jack just noe waiting on my Dad, wish he'd hurry up! Don't usually mind but not on Derby day!

FenderJaguar7

Drinking on my jack just noe waiting on my Dad, wish he'd hurry up! Don't usually mind but not on Derby day!

Kickback is with you! Drink up, we've got a wee team to destroy!! Enjoy

I don't think anything of it tbh. There have been many a times i've fancied a pint and just nipped in somewhere for one.

I didn't think it was that big a deal :lol:

Салатные палочки

Before the kids came along I had a flat next to a pub in Paisley.  After work on a Friday I used to buy a paper and my fags and head to the boozer, have 2-3 pints, a read at the rag and a few relaxing smokes on my todd before the bird finished work.  Was my favourite time of the week :rofl:

Nowadays I only usually got for a pint myself after doing Christmas shopping or if I am up town earlier and I am meeting her.  Although I did make the mistake of going into Yates' in Glasgow Central once after a shopping trip and was approached by an old queen trying his luck.  

AlphonseCapone

I enjoyed the experience, doesn't sound like it is uncommon either.

The right boozer is definitely key. I was in town that day but I don't think I'd do it through this way.

Riddley Walker

Haven't done this in a while but it can be wonderful. Peace and quiet. Used to like going to watch the Sunday lunchtime games on my tod in a quiet boozer. 2 or 3 slow pints, an occasional exchange of words with the barman and chance to watch football in solitude and peace.

if you enjoy having a drink or meal alone then why

bother what anyone thinks once you are there if you

want to take part in conversation then you have a choice

Archived