US Elections 2016

JamboX2

Goes without saying. I hope your daughter enjoys it as (no matter whose inauguration it is) it'll be something to tell her own kids one day.

If I was in DC I would certainly go and watch it and I think Trump is an absolute wallaper.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

I've already indicated above that oil is the currency that explains a lot of policy, but your analysis is far too shallow. And if you want to believe that there was insufficient homegrown resentment of Qaddafi to fuel the initial rebellion, that's up to you, but it's silly.

My best understanding is that the initial backing was from reactionaries at various low levels of influence within the oil-rich states in the area, but that this has fallen off as their brutality become evident and now asset seizure in their military conquests has become the major source of funding.

But I'm sure you have an incredibly simple explanation that explains everything.

I didnt say there was no opposition to gadaffi.

Are you seriously suggesting that the US president ordered cruise missiles to be deployed amongst other sophisticated weaponary for any other reason that gadaffis plans for the sale of oil withoit using the dollar.

By oil states do you mean Saudi Arabia?

And ugly i try arguing what i believe and i try to look historically how these things seem to be consistantly manufactured by US miltary.

Cia in south east asia and the middle east set up these organisations and indeed they all use criminality to fund themselves.

Notably drugs.

Oil now its diminishing is bought by many for storage.

Guess who is now no 1 in the world for oil reserves.

It may be simple because it really is.

We are served up nonsense in the media to make us think its about bad russians bad dictators babies in hospitals etc etc.

Where have I had a pop?

Its a political thread.

Why didnt you post that on the jake being a dick on the lala thread?

Because thats what you do.

You have never argued the points but just have a wee slag.

Fair enough.

Thats what you do.

Its a political thread.

Why didnt you post that on the jake being a dick on the lala thread?

Because thats what you do.

You have never argued the points but just have a wee slag.

Fair enough.

Thats what you do.

Go and post your review on that thread then. I was just trying to get your attention. I'm waiting with baited breath.

Go and post your review on that thread then. I was just trying to get your attention. I'm waiting with baited breath.

I like to pretend that thread no longer exists.

But genuinely i did enjoy the film.

Cringed the next day though...

Git

I like to pretend that thread no longer exists.

But genuinely i did enjoy the film.

Cringed the next day though...

Git

Lol. Good man. Drink and the internet are a bad thing.....just wait until you miss the first mortgage payment on the house you can't remember buying!!!

Anyway my succinct preview of the Trump presidency. It will be an absolute disaster but he will tell us all he was the best president ever.

I didnt say there was no opposition to gadaffi.

Are you seriously suggesting that the US president ordered cruise missiles to be deployed amongst other sophisticated weaponary for any other reason that gadaffis plans for the sale of oil withoit using the dollar.

By oil states do you mean Saudi Arabia?

And ugly i try arguing what i believe and i try to look historically how these things seem to be consistantly manufactured by US miltary.

Cia in south east asia and the middle east set up these organisations and indeed they all use criminality to fund themselves.

Notably drugs.

Oil now its diminishing is bought by many for storage.

Guess who is now no 1 in the world for oil reserves.

It may be simple because it really is.

We are served up nonsense in the media to make us think its about bad russians bad dictators babies in hospitals etc etc.

Of course the US's oil interests played a part in the overthrow of Qaddafi. As did Qaddafi being a persistent thorn in the US's side and political repression. Neither party was on the side of the angels there.

And here's where I'm afraid this is going.  Yes, parties in Saudi Arabia, some in the government, but unclear if connected with the royal house or not, were sponsoring Daesh in the early stages, and possibly to a lesser extent later.  And then you go, "a ha! Saudi Arabia is a key US ally, and they're backing, Daesh, so it's all the US's fault to begin with!" Am I right?

Which completely erases any agency on the part of the Saudis, changes in policy between administrations, the role of the US's frustration with Saudi Arabia as its only reliable ally in the region as motivation among hawkish US foreign policy people for the Iraqi invasion*, and conflicts and back-dealing within the Saudi government.

The US-Saudi relationship is complicated and fraught, and treating the Saudis as some kind of US puppet makes a hash of any understanding of the region. It has been different between the Bush and Obama administrations, neither of which was particularly thrilled with our dependence on them as a region ally.

*Just to explain this a bit -- US hawks had been unhappy with having to be so cosy with the Saudis since the 1990 invasion. They wanted a "true democratic partner" in the region, by which of course they meant a puppet state like we used to have with Iran, but somehow actually elected because the US loves "freedom" or some such.  So the thought was, if we invade Iraq, get rid of Saddam, and put in a "friendly and democratic" government there (and some of them actually, legitimately, ridiculously believed this was going to be easy), then we could cut the cord with the Saudis and move all our bases and troops to Iraq.  This was a stupid and reckless plan, of course, but it highlights how complex our relationship with the Saudis is.

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/10/07/putins-russia-is-wedded-to-bashar-al-assad-syria-moscow/

Your whatabouttery in regards to the US might be relevant had I ever shown any hesitation to criticise US foreign policy.  As I have not, it is just intellectual laziness. 

It's not whataboutery, it's about double standards but I still don't understand your point on Russia being a stalwart ally in terms of oil.

I'm not asking you to defend US foreign policy.

Really looking forward to Friday's inauguration. Will be epic to see the various meltdowns on here.

2  days

It's not whataboutery, it's about double standards but I still don't understand your point on Russia being a stalwart ally in terms of oil.

I'm not asking you to defend US foreign policy.

For one, Russian oil is heavily exported through pipelines to the Mediterranean, with Syria being its most reliable outlet. Crimea gives Russia a partial one, but that depends on relations with Turkey, which run hot and cold.  

For another, well, this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/10/putin-russia-syria-oil-prices

Really looking forward to Friday's inauguration. Will be epic to see the various meltdowns on here.

It should be an interesting day.

There's no truth to the rumour that Trump will make his inaugural speech via Twitter.  :wink:

Hopefully nothing stupid happens and it all goes off without a hitch. My daughter goes to school down there and intends to be somewhere on the parade route.

99 street permits given out for demonstrations but no word on what they're demonstrating as of last night. 28,000 security personnel on the streets.

Guarantee it will be a bit of everything.

Of protest quality, no doubt this one will be the, ahem, highest...  http://dcmj.org/

Gods sake aussie .

Can you argue the points i make or are you just slagging me off in nearly every post.

What's your point, other than you hate Obama?

Seymour M Hersh

It should be an interesting day.

There's no truth to the rumour that Trump will make his inaugural speech via Twitter.   :wink:

Maple Leaf in "Fake News" attempt shocker. Report at ten!  :sunny:

What's your point, other than you hate Obama?

Ive made loads.

And i dontbknow obama .

Being critical of his presidency is not the same.

But you probably think its because of his skin colour.

Ive made loads.

And i dontbknow obama .

Being critical of his presidency is not the same.

But you probably think its because of his skin colour.

Great President.

But your man's next. Ogoody.

Great in what way ?

And trump is not my man.

Yip he hates the EU and Obama. Thought you'd vote for him if you could. You're leader's good pals with him.

Auld Nigel.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yip he hates the EU and Obama. Thought you'd vote for him if you could. You're leader's good pals with him.

Auld Nigel.

I love how you treat politics as akin to supporting a football team. Its childlike quality is quite endearing at times.

I love how you treat politics as akin to supporting a football team. Its childlike quality is quite endearing at times.

Gooooooooooooooooooooo, Obama!!!!!!!!

:D

Tmrw is Trump Day - a new positive future awaits.

I hope you're right although he seems a particularly negative man. He understands the use of positive language but his message always seems negative towards someone.

I read a thing by Mike Rowe, who said that Lincoln was voted in under similar circumstances.

In 1865 we were divided over taxes, race relations, state?s rights, and most of all ? the border. The winning candidate was a Republican whom half the country despised ? a Republican who believed that he was going to lose. A Republican who treated the press with contempt, vowed to restore the border, and transform the Supreme Court. A Republican who many believed was on ?the wrong side of history.? A man thought by many to be a ?tyrant.?

And now history views Lincoln as a great man. I'm saying they're the same, but I guess it's not impossible for him to mane a decent fist of it.

Tmrw is Trump Day - a new positive future awaits.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I hope you're right.

Out of curiosity, what changes are you hoping to see in the next, say, 12 months?  A replacement for the ACA?  A start to the wall?  A conservative judge appointed to the Supreme Court.  A reduction in the national debt?

I'm genuinely interested in how you will measure his success.

I hope you're right although he seems a particularly negative man. He understands the use of positive language but his message always seems negative towards someone.

I read a thing by Mike Rowe, who said that Lincoln was voted in under similar circumstances.

And now history views Lincoln as a great man. I'm not saying they're the same, but I guess it's not impossible for him to make a decent fist of it.

Ftfy, idiot Edited by Smithee

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that I hope you're right.

Out of curiosity, what changes are you hoping to see in the next, say, 12 months? A replacement for the ACA? A start to the wall? A conservative judge appointed to the Supreme Court. A reduction in the national debt?

I'm genuinely interested in how you will measure his success.

Unfunded tax cuts :whistling:

And now history views Lincoln as a great man. I'm saying they're the same, but I guess it's not impossible for him to mane a decent fist of it.

I hope there's not a single thing I'm right about when it comes to the Trump administration.

But Lincoln at that point had done the Lincoln-Douglas debates, most of which lasted for hours.  Which I suppose is like tweeting at celebrities who made fun of you in the middle of the night....

I hope there's not a single thing I'm right about when it comes to the Trump administration.

But Lincoln at that point had done the Lincoln-Douglas debates, most of which lasted for hours.  Which I suppose is like tweeting at celebrities who made fun of you in the middle of the night....

This is meant to be joke UA.

Going by your predictive record to date, everything should be fine.

Looks and sounds much sharper, slick and at ease with his bravado back then. I'd say grumpy old man years have kicked in coupled with age on the brain. I doubt if he is really 'high energy' sufficient to handle the mental strain of the job.

Looks and sounds much sharper, slick and at ease with his bravado back then. I'd say grumpy old man years have kicked in coupled with age on the brain. I doubt if he is really 'high energy' sufficient to handle the mental strain of the job.

Is it not what happens to you when it dawns on you that it's not incompetence but unabated conscienceless corruption then having to deal with it while it goes for your neck?

Francis Albert

Another woman has filed sexual assault charges against Trump today. That's 12 now.

a multimillionaire widely accused of abuse in national media and a grand total of 12 accusations? I am astonished the number is so low.

I hope Barack Obama is well protected from the trumpets.

Unfortunately the world was not protected from him.

Noble peace prize for a man who dropped over 100 000 bombs in his time as president.

Up is down and down is up.

The Real Maroonblood

Noble peace prize for a man who dropped over 100 000 bombs in his time as president.

When your only half way up you are neither up nor down.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Less than 30 minutes until a clown becomes president.  I can't wait.  It's so exciting. 

Less than 30 minutes until a clown becomes president. I can't wait. It's so exciting.

If he proves to be a clown then thats better than a warmongerer.

Take my advice Jake, don't jump out the window.

Craig Gordons Gloves

If he proves to be a clown then thats better than a warmongerer.

Is it? Is it really Jake? Just so i'm clear, in your mind it would be fine to have a clown as the leader of the USA a country whose economy and actions impact most of the rest of the world but as long as he doesn't bomb anywhere it's cool to be a clown.  BTW, in his inauguration speech he just vowed to "wipe radical islam off the face of the earth".  Which is fair enough but will probably involve lots and lots of dead people, i imagine a number of whom will be innocent.  You ok with that? 

In a way, i hope he bombs the shit out of everywhere, then you can come back with your stats about how many bombs he dropped, because they're dead interesting. Like, really interesting. 

Malinga the Swinga

Don't know why everyone is getting so worked up about it. Live and enjoy your own life, enjoy your own family and friends and create your own memories and legacy.

As for Trump, Obama, May, Putin, even to a lesser extent Sturgeon and any other politician you care to name, let them do the worrying and forget about them unless there is an election. They all lie and are self serving hypocrites and no matter what they do or say, your life will most likely carry on without the slightest change, so why worry.

It's the economic actions that will affect most people

So there are different views. But free trade has brought a lot of benefits and arguably more peace between nations.

Protectionism does make sense. But we'll see it's affects.

Edited by Mikey1874

Don't know why everyone is getting so worked up about it. Live and enjoy your own life, enjoy your own family and friends and create your own memories and legacy.

As for Trump, Obama, May, Putin, even to a lesser extent Sturgeon and any other politician you care to name, let them do the worrying and forget about them unless there is an election. They all lie and are self serving hypocrites and no matter what they do or say, your life will most likely carry on without the slightest change, so why worry.

On one hand I agree, and it'll take more than some fat wiggy twat to ruin my day, I'm a happy person and I like my life.

But, if the population of the world just stopped paying attention and just let politicians worry about politics we'd be in deep deep shit!