US Elections 2016

JamboX2

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

If it was ever funny it really isn't now. Violence escalating, Trump doing nothing to quell it - all it takes is one nutter to do something much worse than a punch and they could be on the cusp of something awful. Sad times.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• niblick1874

• alwaysthereinspirit

• Maple Leaf

Watt-Zeefuik

Trump is doing worse than nothing to quell it -- he's whipping people up about it, and has been for months.

The loud and immature millennial left (although meaning has been shorn from this word, it is all about identity politics now)  who are effectively destroying freedom of speech on campuses on both sides of the Atlantic are simply taking their totalitarian antics to a more public stage.

Albeit the Donald seems to be ha dealing in macro, not 'micro-aggressions' but can anyone imagine what the outrage would look like if well-organised red-necks were sent to destroy the 'safe space' of the Bernie rallies?

Freedom of speech  doesn't and shouldn't give you the ability to 'no-platform' other folks' platforms.

The loud and immature millennial left (although meaning has been shorn from this word, it is all about identity politics now) who are effectively destroying freedom of speech on campuses on both sides of the Atlantic are simply taking their totalitarian antics to a more public stage.

Albeit the Donald seems to be ha dealing in macro, not 'micro-aggressions' but can anyone imagine what the outrage would look like if well-organised red-necks were sent to destroy the 'safe space' of the Bernie rallies?

Freedom of speech doesn't and shouldn't give you the ability to 'no-platform' other folks' platforms.

And freedom of speech shouldn't allow platforms to preach hate either.

Building walls, keeping guns, middle east, etc...

The loud and immature millennial left (although meaning has been shorn from this word, it is all about identity politics now) who are effectively destroying freedom of speech on campuses on both sides of the Atlantic are simply taking their totalitarian antics to a more public stage.

Albeit the Donald seems to be ha dealing in macro, not 'micro-aggressions' but can anyone imagine what the outrage would look like if well-organised red-necks were sent to destroy the 'safe space' of the Bernie rallies?

Freedom of speech doesn't and shouldn't give you the ability to 'no-platform' other folks' platforms.

According to many reports, it's the Trumpet supporters who are persuading the protesters not to exercise their right to protest by lamping them.

Jambo-Jimbo

According to many reports, it's the Trumpet supporters who are persuading the protesters not to exercise their right to protest by lamping them.

That is what I've heard as well, it's a charged atmosphere one reporter said, who's covered many of Trump's rallies and she added it's only getting worse.

Trump has come out and blamed Clinton & Sanders for being behind the disruption in Chicago the other night, even saying this "Some represented Bernie, our communist friend".

Trump really needs to engage his brain before he comes out statements as he's potentially signed the death warrant of the guy who tried to get on the stage last night.

Later at another rally Trump said that a judge had released the man and his (Trump's) people had found out his name and he's probably an Islamic State supporter by the sound of it Trump said.

Some of the crazies with guns who follow Trump could kill the guy and think they are doing America a service and saving America from a future attack.

What a thing to say!  Just because the man has an Arabic/Islamic sounding name Trump has labelled him as a potential terrorist sympathizer or worst a terrorist.

But there are serious wider implications because there will be folks in America who will see this as evidence that every protester now is an IS supporter, and it has already happened.

That 78 year old man who punched the protester said he did it because the protester was not acting like an American and now Trump says another protester is probably IS, talk about pouring petrol onto the fire.

And freedom of speech shouldn't allow platforms to preach hate either.

Building walls, keeping guns, middle east, etc...

So there has been no court or police action to stop the man from speaking for inciting hate or violence, but let's be clear, the lunatic safe space college left are the arbiters of what is hate speech and they get to choose who can speak and say what? It is not the role of the elected bodies anymore? Is that what you are saying? 

I know unis are too busy looking for offence everywhere these days (even Martin Luther King was deemed 'non- inclusive'' in Oregon a couple of months ago I kid you not) to do anything resembling scholarship but do people like them and I can only assume you, have any concept that figures like Voltaire existed or of the enlightenment principles that the country was founded upon?

That is what I've heard as well, it's a charged atmosphere one reporter said, who's covered many of Trump's rallies and she added it's only getting worse.

Trump has come out and blamed Clinton & Sanders for being behind the disruption in Chicago the other night, even saying this "Some represented Bernie, our communist friend".

Trump really needs to engage his brain before he comes out statements as he's potentially signed the death warrant of the guy who tried to get on the stage last night.

Later at another rally Trump said that a judge had released the man and his (Trump's) people had found out his name and he's probably an Islamic State supporter by the sound of it Trump said.

Some of the crazies with guns who follow Trump could kill the guy and think they are doing America a service and saving America from a future attack.

What a thing to say!  Just because the man has an Arabic/Islamic sounding name Trump has labelled him as a potential terrorist sympathizer or worst a terrorist.

But there are serious wider implications because there will be folks in America who will see this as evidence that every protester now is an IS supporter, and it has already happened.

That 78 year old man who punched the protester said he did it because the protester was not acting like an American and now Trump says another protester is probably IS, talk about pouring petrol onto the fire.

That is quite the straw man you have built there.

Here is one of the reasons why the GOP don't know what or who they are standing for and why they have been bulldozed by a loud mouthed huckster - they have effectively sold their soul to the bible belt for the past thirty years. Getting n bed with this lot is as galling as Trump's skirting around denouncing the KKK guy. It also says a lot abut how the media will only chase the stories that have will have lasting narrative when this wasn't all over the place months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBDbGyv6SIQ

Edited by elvoys

Here is one of the reasons why the GOP don't know what or who they are standing for and why they have been bulldozed by a loud mouthed huckster - they have effectively sold their soul to the bible belt for the past thirty years. Getting n bed with this lot is as galling as Trump's skirting around denouncing the KKK guy. It also says a lot abut how the media will only chase the stories that have will have lasting narrative when this wasn't all over the place months ago.

Donald Trump is a loud mouthed huckster, but there is much more about him to dislike than that.  He is a nasty character in many different ways.  Nevertheless, I would choose him in a heartbeat over Ted Cruz.  That slimeball makes my skin crawl.

That youtube link you posted is sickening.  How the hell did the Republican party decline to that level?

Jambo-Jimbo

That pastor is one seriously messed up individual, and he's allowed to speak like this?

That's astonishing. Genuine, open-mouthed astonished.

Have the three politicans / candidates mentioned been asked about their attendance and sharing a platform with this dangerous man?

Watt-Zeefuik

The loud and immature millennial left (although meaning has been shorn from this word, it is all about identity politics now)  who are effectively destroying freedom of speech on campuses on both sides of the Atlantic are simply taking their totalitarian antics to a more public stage.

Albeit the Donald seems to be ha dealing in macro, not 'micro-aggressions' but can anyone imagine what the outrage would look like if well-organised red-necks were sent to destroy the 'safe space' of the Bernie rallies?

Freedom of speech  doesn't and shouldn't give you the ability to 'no-platform' other folks' platforms.

That is quite the straw man you have built there.

That's not what freedom speech means, see my earlier post.

I watched a panel discussion on CNN yesterday.  The Donald Trump supporter, describing himself as a pastor, stated that Bernie Sanders needed to discover Jesus if he wanted to be President.  The pastor clearly believes that only a Christian should be President.

The discussion moved to the recent violence at Trump gatherings and, not surprisingly, the pastor invoked the name of Jesus to justify what Trump has been doing and saying. One of the other panelists, loudly proclaiming that she loves Jesus just as much as the pastor does, claimed that Jesus would not like what Trump was doing.  And that was the end of the "discussion", as those two just yelled at each other, trying to drown the other one out, each one claiming to know best what Jesus would think.

It looks like the Republican party has degenerated to the level where candidates need to "out-Jesus" their opponents to win votes.

And what's with all these pastors anyway?  It's a term I hear only Americans use and it appears that anyone can be a pastor; no special training required.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Interesting take by Elvoys on the lunatic left there.  Here's a question that i think would be interesting to ask people at a Trump rally and a Sanders rally.  

Which of Sanders/Trumps policies attracts you to the candidate that you favor? 

Im willing to stereotype here and say that the Sanders supporters will be able to give a reasonable account of themselves, whereas the Trump supporters will say stuff like "Make America great again" and "he tells it like it is". That's not a slander on Trump supporters, more an indictment of the fact that Trump doesn't have any policies beyond shouting the loudest about the USA, building a wall and kicking out immigrants.

Interesting take by Elvoys on the lunatic left there.  Here's a question that i think would be interesting to ask people at a Trump rally and a Sanders rally.  

Which of Sanders/Trumps policies attracts you to the candidate that you favor? 

Im willing to stereotype here and say that the Sanders supporters will be able to give a reasonable account of themselves, whereas the Trump supporters will say stuff like "Make America great again" and "he tells it like it is". That's not a slander on Trump supporters, more an indictment of the fact that Trump doesn't have any policies beyond shouting the loudest about the USA, building a wall and kicking out immigrants.

I think you do a disservice to a lot of normal people that find his stop giving outsourcing our jobs to China/ Mexico platform the main draw and that he is the only one who is putting economy visibly at the forefront. This seems to be the same key narrative for Bernie. The millennial SJWs on the ground and propelling sanders on social media seem to garner the attention for their causes just like the yahoos do for Trump (and why he performs for them) but I have a feeling neither of them are their bulk support. I also would guess that this white, disenchanted core demographic is why neither of them will have enough crossover to urban minorities at the end of the day to jump their respective hurdles (trump White House, Bernie the nomination). For what its worth, I think both of their economic plans (especially Trump) seem to be lacking any real substance.

Watt-Zeefuik

And what's with all these pastors anyway?  It's a term I hear only Americans use and it appears that anyone can be a pastor; no special training required.

Many Protestant denominations don't have priests, but have "pastors" instead.  (Derived from the "shepherd of the flock" connotation.)  In some Baptist denominations and others closely aligned with the Evangelical movement, the requirement to be a pastor is effectively a discerned call to preach the Word.  This comes to some degree from frontier revival movements that were suspicious of the institutional church, and pushed back against elites saying what could and couldn't be preached in church.

Most "mainline" (also called "ecumenical," as opposed to Evangelical) denominations require a seminary education and ordination examination to be called a pastor.

Watt-Zeefuik

I think you do a disservice to a lot of normal people that find his stop giving outsourcing our jobs to China/ Mexico platform the main draw and that he is the only one who is putting economy visibly at the forefront. This seems to be the same key narrative for Bernie. The millennial SJWs on the ground and propelling sanders on social media seem to garner the attention for their causes just like the yahoos do for Trump (and why he performs for them) but I have a feeling neither of them are their bulk support. I also would guess that this white, disenchanted core demographic is why neither of them will have enough crossover to urban minorities at the end of the day to jump their respective hurdles (trump White House, Bernie the nomination). For what its worth, I think both of their economic plans (especially Trump) seem to be lacking any real substance.

What's absurd though is that Trump has spent plenty of his business career outsourcing jobs, and his anti-outsourcing rhetoric is nothing but bromides with no specifics.  Sanders, as much as he frustrates me with proposals which won't make it through any version of Congress that will be elected in 2016, at least has specific proposals on what he would do.

And I can't let it go by, but "SJW" ("social justice warrior" for anyone not versed in online bro culture) is such a colossally stupid term.  "Warriors" fight wars -- advocates of social justice get in arguments.  There's a difference.

Many Protestant denominations don't have priests, but have "pastors" instead.  (Derived from the "shepherd of the flock" connotation.)  In some Baptist denominations and others closely aligned with the Evangelical movement, the requirement to be a pastor is effectively a discerned call to preach the Word.  This comes to some degree from frontier revival movements that were suspicious of the institutional church, and pushed back against elites saying what could and couldn't be preached in church.

Most "mainline" (also called "ecumenical," as opposed to Evangelical) denominations require a seminary education and ordination examination to be called a pastor.

Thanks.  My confusion originates from people I see and hear on television (on Jeopardy! for example) who describe their job, then add "I'm also a pastor".  That makes them Evangelical, I'm guessing.

Watt-Zeefuik

Thanks.  My confusion originates from people I see and hear on television (on Jeopardy! for example) who describe their job, then add "I'm also a pastor".  That makes them Evangelical, I'm guessing.

Usually.  Some traditionally African-American denominations may do the same thing, but not call themselves evangelical.  The terms are muddled and confusing.

The other possibility is that people got a seminary degree and got ordained, but have since changed careers.

Watt-Zeefuik

Trump & Clinton take Florida, are we getting close to it being between this two?

If I'm not mistaken, Trump still has yet to win 50% in any state.

Kasich winning Ohio keeps him in the race.

Also, in regards to earlier discussions:

donald-trump-hat.png

EDIT Apparently this is some BS: http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-hat-china/

EDIT x2: This, however, is not: http://abcnews.go.com/Business/donald-trump-sells-chinese-goods-accusing-china-stealing/story?id=31826791

Edited by Ugly American

What's absurd though is that Trump has spent plenty of his business career outsourcing jobs, and his anti-outsourcing rhetoric is nothing but bromides with no specifics.  Sanders, as much as he frustrates me with proposals which won't make it through any version of Congress that will be elected in 2016, at least has specific proposals on what he would do.

And I can't let it go by, but "SJW" ("social justice warrior" for anyone not versed in online bro culture) is such a colossally stupid term.  "Warriors" fight wars -- advocates of social justice get in arguments.  There's a difference.

It's a colossally great term!

There is a similarity in that warriors kill things, and this certainly applies to the current climate in campuses where debate is being killed by the idiot children who have been empowered by their echo chambers online. The point is that these morons can't withstand arguments so they attempt to shut it down. There is a perfect example of this recently which I'd encourage people to check on YouTube where ex Muslim secularist Mariam namazie is harassed throughout her talk at goldsmiths by Islamist thugs and then afterwards the feminist society denounced her and sided with who they see as the oppressed Islamists! The left have clearly eaten themselves via identity politics.

Luckily, it's not beyond satire yet and the South Park boys have seen to that with the SJWs!

OH, meant to add that it's also a completely apt term as the sense of righteousness and fighting the good fight that permeates their ranks and gives them the moral authority to shut down debate is akin to that of a warrior.

Watt-Zeefuik

OH, meant to add that it's also a completely apt term as the sense of righteousness and fighting the good fight that permeates their ranks and gives them the moral authority to shut down debate is akin to that of a warrior.

So sorry that they scare you so much.  Need a teddy bear?

(EDIT: sorry, there's me being a dick again.  This election is really bringing out my inner areshole.)

Edited by Ugly American

Trump & Clinton take Florida, are we getting close to it being between this two?

Clinton will almost certainly win the Democratic nomination.

On the Republican side, it's still up in the air.  Despite tonight being very good for Trump, it's now looking like he will go into the convention with fewer than 50% of the delegates.  That means he won't win on the first vote.  And anything can happen on the second vote.

Clinton will almost certainly win the Democratic nomination.

On the Republican side, it's still up in the air.  Despite tonight being very good for Trump, it's now looking like he will go into the convention with fewer than 50% of the delegates.  That means he won't win on the first vote.  And anything can happen on the second vote.

To take this comment further

a ) It's unlikely, but not completely impossible, that Trump gets the magic number he needs to tie up the nomination before the convention. Cruz cannot attain that number of delegates no matter what.

b ) The convention can nominate anyone. The GOP establishment are likely to find someone like Michael Bloomberg to stand at the last minute and press the convention delegates to nominate him (or her :P) instead of Trump.

Edited by Rab

Watt-Zeefuik

To take this comment further

a ) It's unlikely, but not completely impossible, that Trump gets the magic number he needs to tie up the nomination before the convention. Cruz cannot attain that number of delegates no matter what.

b ) The convention can nominate anyone. The GOP establishment are likely to find someone like Michael Bloomberg to stand at the last minute and press the convention delegates to nominate him (or her :P) instead of Trump.

b ) is basically Kasich's strategy at this point.  Spend the last 20 or so states getting on everyone's good side, so they go to him after the fist-fighting finally dies down.  

FWIW, Romney has filed paperwork to be an eligible candidate, just in case they decide they want to roll him out again.  Which at this point I have no idea why they would.

Hugh Phamism

Rubio is now the latest to suspend his campaign.

If you can't win your home state it really is the time to bow out.

Marco Rubio: "Not God's plan that I be president in 2016"  :trippin:

If you can't win your home state it really is the time to bow out.

Marco Rubio: "Not God's plan that I be president in 2016"  :trippin:

Marco is a very good speaker, but his religion-laced speech last night was 21st century Republicanism at his best.  Ted Cruz talks the same way.

And someone needs to tell Marco that it's God's plan for Obama to be President in 2016. The new President doesn't take office until 2017.

It's really interesting to think the GOP convention could nominate another to trump Trump.

Would that destroy or save the party?

Like something out of the West Wing or House of Cards.

there are 20 states left to vote.

it looks like Trump will need California which is one of the last but at 172 delegates and winner-takes-all will take him a long way to his goal, if he can win Arizona (boy do they want that wall!) and New York (his home state) and a handful of others, that should see him get over the line.

Of course it's not done and dusted, but a brokered convention? Is that "make up yer minds or I'll make them up for you!" - My management style then!

maroonlegions

Looking forward to April 1st i am .. lol;   

This man Trump  is one hell of a bad apple , total fecking lunatic and a real danger for his racist , fascist and homophobic views. 

Clinton is another one who i feel is just as mad and bad..  

"my mega bucks and you're symmetrical beauty , together we can  serve the nation yeh"... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi9R2qpmMz4

optrump-600x250.jpg

A group of Anonymous claiming to be responsible for the hack which took down Turkeys internet last year has announced new plans for a massive DDoS?
ANONHQ.COM

2-15-16 |Hackers Take Donald Trump?s Voicemail | Leak 35 Recordings, Replace Greeting Message, Release Video: http://anonhq.com/optrump-continues-anonymous-hacks-trump-voicemail-records-revealing-liberal-media-ties/

I was thinking that if Trumph got anywhere near the Whitehouse he would be assassinated. I don't no why it popped into my mind but there's an awful lot of trouble developing around him now and he is quite a polarising figure. Not advocating this by the way.

Edited by Dannie Boy

AlphonseCapone

I was thinking that if Trumph got anywhere near the Whitehouse he would be assassinated. I don't no why it popped into my mind but there's an awful lot of trouble developing around him now and he is quite a polarising figure. Not advocating this by the way.

Trump a Celtic fan too... another reason to dislike him.

Jambo-Jimbo

A lot of people will fully expect Mr. Donald J. Trump to fulfil exactly what he's telling them he'll do at his rallies, such as build a wall & make the Mexicans pay for it, ban all Muslims, return all foreign based jobs back to the USA etc etc etc, when he can't or won't live up to these promises there are some people who are going to be mighty peeved off at a one Mr. Donald J. Trump, I for one, certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes when it all goes pear shaped. 

Ibrahim Tall

b ) is basically Kasich's strategy at this point. Spend the last 20 or so states getting on everyone's good side, so they go to him after the fist-fighting finally dies down.

FWIW, Romney has filed paperwork to be an eligible candidate, just in case they decide they want to roll him out again. Which at this point I have no idea why they would.

I don't understand what Romney or even the Rebublican party has to gain from picking someone other than Trump if he maintains his lead?

Realistically Trumps 'voters' will never back Romney or someone similar as he's practically the incarnation of everything they're rallied against. And shafting the candidate that most have went for in favour of someone who didn't even run will only alienate them further.

So barring Hilary completely self destructing in the run in he'll be setting himself up for an even more humiliating loss than last time?

Don't get me wrong if imagine the average Republican is probably horrified with the direction the party is heading at the moment and Trump statements but is fielding an unelectable candidate and shafting half the party really the only way forward?

John Findlay

They just interviewed an American who was above voting age with regards to Osbourne's sugar tax on the soft drinks industry. This is what she said. It's disgraceful that he is going to tax Irn Bru. That is anti (say with American accent) Scottish. Sad thing is. She was totally serious. No wonder they may get Trump as president.

Seymour M Hersh

Rubio with a measured yet stinging attack on Trump today. Does make you wonder why he couldn't speak that way months ago or if he'll continue to speak like that in Oct/Nov.

Because he's stuck in the old ways of the Republican party. Cliche after cliche.

Seymour M Hersh

b ) is basically Kasich's strategy at this point.  Spend the last 20 or so states getting on everyone's good side, so they go to him after the fist-fighting finally dies down.  

FWIW, Romney has filed paperwork to be an eligible candidate, just in case they decide they want to roll him out again.  Which at this point I have no idea why they would.

The GOP are maybe hoping for a "brokered convention" in July but that would require them to work together in order to ensure Trump does not reach the required delegate figure. Not much chance of that happening (them working together that is).

niblick1874

The GOP are maybe hoping for a "brokered convention" in July but that would require them to work together in order to ensure Trump does not reach the required delegate figure. Not much chance of that happening (them working together that is).

If somehow they take the nomination away from him (in his supporters eyes) there are going to be an enormous amount of people that feel the whole point of them voting for him is nowhere on the horizon where Cruz is concerned.

As I have said, I've got a bad feeling about this. What I am not getting on here is the realization that because of the things that the Democrats have done, as in, exactly what the Republicans would get up to (the TTP and the way it was done along with a whole host of other things). There are many that think that it is the last stand, last chance and it is not only the patriots, there is going to be a very large amount of Democrats that will not be able to holed their nose when faced with Clinton.

Edited by niblick1874

JudyJudyJudy

Yeah i also feel this will happen. NOT advocating it at all but I have a strong feeling that the dark forces ( Intellgence services , CIA , Militiary and numerous others) may just feel his is just too nutty and risky to be the President of the " free world". It feels very similar to JFK scenario in that respect. 

JudyJudyJudy

A lot of people will fully expect Mr. Donald J. Trump to fulfil exactly what he's telling them he'll do at his rallies, such as build a wall & make the Mexicans pay for it, ban all Muslims, return all foreign based jobs back to the USA etc etc etc, when he can't or won't live up to these promises there are some people who are going to be mighty peeved off at a one Mr. Donald J. Trump, I for one, certainly wouldn't want to be in his shoes when it all goes pear shaped. 

Yes if he does become President I would hope that he has to drastically modify his policies he has been advocating. Anyway it depends on who has control of the houses as some of his ideas or bills wont get through. He may also just be satisfied that he got the top job and become more concillatory towards others or am i just wishful thinking?  lol

Kalamazoo Jambo

I don't understand what Romney or even the Rebublican party has to gain from picking someone other than Trump if he maintains his lead?

Realistically Trumps 'voters' will never back Romney or someone similar as he's practically the incarnation of everything they're rallied against. And shafting the candidate that most have went for in favour of someone who didn't even run will only alienate them further.

So barring Hilary completely self destructing in the run in he'll be setting himself up for an even more humiliating loss than last time?

Don't get me wrong if imagine the average Republican is probably horrified with the direction the party is heading at the moment and Trump statements but is fielding an unelectable candidate and shafting half the party really the only way forward?

Trump has won less than 50% of the GOP vote in every state primary / caucus so far (although he's got 47% of the delegates so far, his percentage of the GOP vote is less than that). So not that strong a mandate. Don't think that Romney would get the nod however - I'd keep an eye on Paul Ryan as an outside bet at a contested convention if Trump can't get to 1,237 delegates.

Watt-Zeefuik

Trump has won less than 50% of the GOP vote in every state primary / caucus so far (although he's got 47% of the delegates so far, his percentage of the GOP vote is less than that). So not that strong a mandate. Don't think that Romney would get the nod however - I'd keep an eye on Paul Ryan as an outside bet at a contested convention if Trump can't get to 1,237 delegates.

Exactly this.  Trump has won 37% of GOP primary voters and has yet to win 50% in any single state (he came very close in Massachusetts).  His overall polling percentage has only gone up from about 35% to about 40% even as the GOP field winnowed from some 15 down to three.   And there's a good 40% of the GOP that's dead set against him being the nominee at all costs.

Romney seems an unlikely pick -- I'd expect Kasich or Scott Walker if that happened.  But at this point, nobody has seen anything like this ever before.  For political junkies (and Democrats like me for that matter), the GOP convention could end up being unmissable drama.  For some of my friends who are moderate Republicans, this is all a horrible nightmare.