Paul Hegarty

alicante jambo

Pretty sure he was our 1st team defensive coach at one point. Don't remember what management team that he worked under, might be a useful addition to our coaching staff. Budgetary & personnel priorities notwithstanding.

I genuinely haven't met a nicer bloke than Paul Hegarty. I met him during JJ's spell as manager. He was also a tremendous centre half for Dundeen Utd during a time when they were one of europes to sides.

I genuinely haven't met a nicer bloke than Paul Hegarty. I met him during JJ's spell as manager. He was also a tremendous centre half for Dundeen Utd during a time when they were one of europes to sides.

I met him as well and a good guy born in Edinburgh who loved the Hearts. He was the captain of Dundee Utd most successful teams playing beside David Narey. 

I was just going to post the same. Definitely one of lifes good guys

i wish jj was my dad

I was just going to post the same. Definitely one of lifes good guys

Spot on.  We certainly benefited from him working with Mr Jim. I can't believe that he isn't working in the top flight.

What I'd give to have a player like him at centre half now.

I met him as well and a good guy born in Edinburgh who loved the Hearts. He was the captain of Dundee Utd most successful teams playing beside David Narey. 

Showing my age here but If I remember correctly,his brother Kevin was a striker at Hearts for a while.

Showing my age here but If I remember correctly,his brother Kevin was a striker at Hearts for a while.

Correct and unfortunately not very good.

Yep.

jambos are go!

Kevin Hegarty was a decent young striker for us who went on to have a good career in midfield for Dunfermline. Good pro and quite good. IMO.

i know Kevin well. Still a big Hearts man.

Son Of Anarchy

I'd love someone with the defensive awareness and skills Hegs had in our back four now. Cracking player and really nice guy too.

Guess The Crowd

Another guy from that team to whom the same applies is Billy Kirkwood. Hearts fan / really nice guy

willie wallace

Played with Paul at Tynecastle under 18s.He was a top centre forward back then.

Was just thinking after this post that Paul was still playing boys club football at 17 and must have been closer to 18 when he joined Hamilton.

What are the chances of this happening nowadays.Did him no harm

Remember seeing under age team including a young and raw Robbie Neilson, Kevin Hegarty as defence coach and Peter Houston in midfield playing Gala Fairydean.  Hegarty organised the defence brought them up and down as a line, Houston sat and played passes through the midfield.  Like sitting on a training lecture.  Always liked them both ever since.

manager(??) of Electric Centre branch up there seen him at Abbeyhill branch last year

Manager of Montrose as well.

scott herbertson

Was in Montrose today for an auction, not enough time to see a game if there was one - Hegarty was magnificent for United . I always felt that Scotland might have done better to opt for narey and Hegarty at the back or miller mcleish but they wanted to accommodate Hansen ? What a contract to today's options!

Hansen got a game for Scotland,only due to the club he played for.At that time,the English League was not any better than the top teams of the time In Scotland,such was the European competition runs from Aberdeen and Dundee United.It would have been better having Hegarty/Narey or Miller/McLeish playing for Scotland Instead of Hansen and may have to a better understanding In the World Cup Finals In Spain,when a lack of communication between Hansen and Miller,led to the goal that knocked us out.

Hansen got a game for Scotland,only due to the club he played for.At that time,the English League was not any better than the top teams of the time In Scotland,such was the European competition runs from Aberdeen and Dundee United.It would have been better having Hegarty/Narey or Miller/McLeish playing for Scotland Instead of Hansen and may have led to a better understanding In the World Cup Finals In Spain,when a lack of communication between Hansen and Miller,led to the goal that knocked us out.

scott herbertson

Hansen got a game for Scotland,only due to the club he played for.At that time,the English League was not any better than the top teams of the time In Scotland,such was the European competition runs from Aberdeen and Dundee United.It would have been better having Hegarty/Narey or Miller/McLeish playing for Scotland Instead of Hansen and may have to a better understanding In the World Cup Finals In Spain,when a lack of communication between Hansen and Miller,led to the goal that knocked us out.

Yep - I was at the game in question

I take it this is an attempt at a troll.

Hansen was one of the best centre backs in Europe and should have been playing for Scotland many more times.

At that time Scotland had some excellent defenders and the anglos were not seen in such a good light by the local press hence many missed out to home based players.

He won what is now known as the Champions league unlike those you mention and whilst the gap was not as large there was a gap still between England and Scotland at club level.

You can hold the opinion that the others were better and that club partnerships helped but lets not run down an excellent defender who was part of the team dominating European football at the time.   None of those mentioned would have made the Liverpool team of that era.

Hansen was one of the best centre backs in Europe and should have been playing for Scotland many more times.

At that time Scotland had some excellent defenders and the anglos were not seen in such a good light by the local press hence many missed out to home based players.

He won what is now known as the Champions league unlike those you mention and whilst the gap was not as large there was a gap still between England and Scotland at club level.

You can hold the opinion that the others were better and that club partnerships helped but lets not run down an excellent defender who was part of the team dominating European football at the time.   None of those mentioned would have made the Liverpool team of that era.

Always used to irritate me that many anglos used to call of NT duty. Club over country. And some were absolutely appalling at international level. Steve Nicholson was terrible for Scotland and Steve Archibald used to do my nut...

Always used to irritate me that many anglos used to call of NT duty. Club over country. And some were absolutely appalling at international level. Steve Nicholson was terrible for Scotland and Steve Archibald used to do my nut...

Gary Gillespie was garbage in dark blue too...

Hansen didn't win the Champions Leaugue - he was part of a very good side that did - a fact that over estimated his ability in international terms imho

Hansen didn't win the Champions Leaugue - he was part of a very good side that did - a fact that over estimated his ability in international terms imho

Whereas Hegarty was part of a team that could not win in Europe and if we follow your logic was overrated given his achievements...he was a good player but in Hansens class ?..sorry but no.

It's all about opinion but in mine Hansen was a  better player and defender.  I have seen them both  live in their prime and as stated previously whilst there were good defenders in Scotland none were as good as Hansen. The club partnerships with Aberdeen and Dundee United defenders meant he was overlooked too many times.

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Was top scorer (7 from memory) when Seith arrived, having scored 3 goals in 2 games against Celtic within a fortnight (league cup section matches, lost 2-1 and 4-2). Was instantly dropped by Seith because his hair was too long, or that was the reason given to Hegarty. At a time that Hearts just couldn't score, he was brought back for a Derby we lost 2-1, he scored our goal, and was then dropped for the next match. He was then brought back as an unused sub in an unexpected defeat to St Johnston (we didn't score) and was the only man dropped from the squad for the next match. Johnny Harvey, the manager who signed him, had high hopes for Kevin, he (Harvey) was a much better manager than Seith. Kevin knew Seith didn't want him around, was young and lost his early confdence as a result. It will always be a mystery to me why any new manager would instantly drop his club's top scorer, but no young footballer can be 'very good' with a manager who won't give him a chance. Johnny Harvey gave him a chance, and he found a top goalscorer!

Steve Nichol you mean? Thought he was a good servant for club and country.

Eh? By your logic then nobody has ever won a European Cup/Champions League?

Hansen was a top drawer footballer, and it would be ridiculous to suggests otherwise. His measly 26 caps was due to the Miller/McLeish partnership. Hegarty and Narey also had a fantastic partnership but Miller/McLeish was too strong. I think Narey was playing full back when he scored v Brazil.

I think it was Deodato who recently posted 'The Jim McLean' years video on here. I watched it, and of course, Utd's achievements from 1979-87 were extraordinary.  

Something was obviously very wrong with the Scotland set up back then that allowed for such average performances in major championships because we had an abundance of talent.

Got my mum to cut out numbers 10 and sew on to my Hearts top, Kevin Heggarty was my new favourite.

The numbers were made in brown cloth :sad:

scott herbertson

My original point was that the pairing of narey and Hegarty brought something above the individual skills of each player (as did Miller/Mcleish). Not that Hansen wasn't a more skilled player. I would have liked to have seen narey and Hegarty get a chance for Scotland, even if it meant dropping the more skilled Hansen. The best team isn't necessarily about the best 11 individual players - look at clough's teams for example.

One thing narey and Hegarty had off pat was an empathetic understanding of when one or other (usually but not always Narey) should come forward with the ball or add to an attack. That could give D Utd a critical extra player in a move.

Was top scorer (7 from memory) when Seith arrived, having scored 3 goals in 2 games against Celtic within a fortnight (league cup section matches, lost 2-1 and 4-2). Was instantly dropped by Seith because his hair was too long, or that was the reason given to Hegarty. At a time that Hearts just couldn't score, he was brought back for a Derby we lost 2-1, he scored our goal, and was then dropped for the next match. He was then brought back as an unused sub in an unexpected defeat to St Johnston (we didn't score) and was the only man dropped from the squad for the next match. Johnny Harvey, the manager who signed him, had high hopes for Kevin, he (Harvey) was a much better manager than Seith. Kevin knew Seith didn't want him around, was young and lost his early confdence as a result. It will always be a mystery to me why any new manager would instantly drop his club's top scorer, but no young footballer can be 'very good' with a manager who won't give him a chance. Johnny Harvey gave him a chance, and he found a top goalscorer!

Off thread topic, but as was pointed out just after Seith was appointed his name is an anagram of shite. How apt.

i wish jj was my dad

Hansen massively under-achieved on those occasions he could be arsed turning out for his country.

PH may not have had the ability of Hansen but I would have much rather have him and Narey or Miller and Mcleish in a scotland rather than accommodating somebody with Hansen's commitment

kingantti1874

I genuinely don't understand why Scotland is unable to produce any top quality players, look at the centre backs discussed here, mcleish, Miller, narey, hegarty, Hansen, then add levein, gough, Alan mclaren ... Something has gone badly wrong..

Is Alan mclaren the last top class centre back Scotland produced? Maybe John Kennedy would have got there were it not for his injury... What the hell has gone wrong...

I genuinely don't understand why Scotland is unable to produce any top quality players, look at the centre backs discussed here, mcleish, Miller, narey, hegarty, Hansen, then add levein, gough, Alan mclaren ... Something has gone badly wrong..

Is Alan mclaren the last top class centre back Scotland produced? Maybe John Kennedy would have got there were it not for his injury... What the hell has gone wrong...

The coaching at grass roots from the late 80's through the 90's was abysmal,teams were being run by egotistical numpties more concerned with their own credibility than the development of players,we still produce genuinely skillfull players,they just either loose their way or get it coached out of them.Darren Fletcher was an average player in our area at under 10's and had 3 players well ahead in his Langlaw team including Neil Jancyk,but he had the dedication to make it to the top where as guys like Janny enjoyed the birds n bevvy too much.

Steve Nichol you mean? Thought he was a good servant for club and country.

yeah, another autocorrect fail...I thought he was always better for Liverpool than he ever was for Scotland.

kingantti1874

The coaching at grass roots from the late 80's through the 90's was abysmal,teams were being run by egotistical numpties more concerned with their own credibility than the development of players,we still produce genuinely skillfull players,they just either loose their way or get it coached out of them.Darren Fletcher was an average player in our area at under 10's and had 3 players well ahead in his Langlaw team including Neil Jancyk,but he had the dedication to make it to the top where as guys like Janny enjoyed the birds n bevvy too much.

All true, but the coaching standards have increased in the past decade but still I don't see any genuine "top" talent coming through...

yeah, another autocorrect fail...I thought he was always better for Liverpool than he ever was for Scotland.

Can't argue with that chief.

Archived