alicante jambo

Has certainly not been as effective getting forward since his sending off v Hamilton.

Not sure that he has lost confidence, I'd imagine opposition managers have targeted him as a threat and he needs to get used to that.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Seems to have lost all self belief and confidence.Still cant cross a ball either.

Banged in some belters this season so he can whether he's consistent is another question

He's beginning to play more and more like Robbie Neilson did each game. Hoofs to nobody, and sometimes out the park.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I think - and its simply my opinion - that some of the naturally talented players we have are having their abilities tempered by coaching. Paterson, Walker, Nicholson and King dont seem to be as free flowing as they were.

michael_bolton

I don't think Paterson is a bad player. I reckon he'll have a decent career. But I think he suffers from the same problem almost all Hearts players do. We, as a support, tend to think our players are much better than they are or much worse than they are. He falls into the first category.

The White Cockade

i'll get crapped on by the usual suspects but I just don't think the boy is a full back

He's so good going forward they have play him on the right or even up front

could see him moving to cenre back later in his career though he's so good in the air

i'll get crapped on by the usual suspects but I just don't think the boy is a full back

He's so good going forward they have play him on the right or even up front

could see him moving to cenre back later in his career though he's so good in the air

****** Bonner was saying something similar on the radio during the Celtic game. He doesn't reckon Patterson is natural defender.

I don't think Paterson is a bad player. I reckon he'll have a decent career. But I think he suffers from the same problem almost all Hearts players do. We, as a support, tend to think our players are much better than they are or much worse than they are. He falls into the first category.

A polite way of saying he is overrated. Which was what I was going to post

I think - and its simply my opinion - that some of the naturally talented players we have are having their abilities tempered by coaching. Paterson, Walker, Nicholson and King dont seem to be as free flowing as they were.

I suspect the players aren't as good as we hoped/thought they were, bog standard average SPL players. 

michael_bolton

I still think too many people are rating our players on being really successful at a very low level last season. There's been a big step up and I find it surprising that so many people are surprised that we're not looking as impressive.

He's a decent player but I think he needs a rest problem is there is not really anyone else who we can put at rb

Jambof3tornado

He's a decent player but I think he needs a rest problem is there is not really anyone else who we can put at rb

I'd let Liam Smith get a wee 20 minutes here and there but nobody seriously pushing Callum for his place.

He will get a rest against Utd n come back fresh !

He's 20 year old. Like most 20 year old players his form and confidence will go up and down. I think some of us are expecting too much, its easy to forget this due to his size and fact he has been playing for 3 years now. 

He's beginning to play more and more like Robbie Neilson did each game. Hoofs to nobody, and sometimes out the park.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thought Neilson was back at right back yesterday, not something I've noticed before in Paterson play but 3 times he leathered it up the touchline yesterday and out of play....very Neilsonesque.

**** Bonner was saying something similar on the radio during the Celtic game. He doesn't reckon Patterson is natural defender.

Bit strange that a players nickname that is used during interviews on to etc is edited out? Nothing offensive about his first name.

Teuchterjambo

He may not be preforming very well overall at the moment but I'll tell you this  .... he is the only defender in the team who is  consistently attacking (and winning) the defensive headers. He consistently defended the high ball successfully yesterday, time after time and has been bailing out our central defensive players on that front all season.

Personally I still don't think he's a natural right back although he can play there obviously.

Still a right midfielder for me.

I just think sometimes he doesn't have the poise in possession a full back should have and he often loses focus to where he should be in an attacking move.

Would love to see an experienced right back signed in Jan with Paterson giving us the option to play right mid if we want a more solid look.

I think his athleticism would provide great cover, and of course, being further up the park in a starting position would make him a threat.

He was clearly told to play further up in the first half - unfortunately his main threat is usually when he breaks from right back and he didn't get much of the ball.

In the second half, he clearly had instructions to play deeper.

Paterson is one of my favourite players over the last couple of seasons, wears his heart on his sleeve maybe gets too emotional some times but , it means something to him playing for Hearts, sometimes you could say he try's too hard, but he would be one of my first picks if I was manager,he's still young will make mistakes but nobody on here can say he hasn't contributed, nobody can say he hasn't set up goals ,nobody can say he hasn't scored goals and nobody can say when on form he defends like a badger !

Mon the Paterson !!!!!!

CRWJambo1991

I think that's been a surprise this year is how much of a step up the season will be.

We aren't playing Alloa on a Wednesday night at Tynecastle anymore unfortunately

I suspect the players aren't as good as we hoped/thought they were, bog standard average SPL players.

Aye ok Japp's eye.

maroonnicky63

spot on you could see the way Nicholson played yesterday not free flowing. OH DEARY ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MacDonald Jardine

I think that's been a surprise this year is how much of a step up the season will be.

We aren't playing Alloa on a Wednesday night at Tynecastle anymore unfortunately

I agree but I'm unclear why people are surprised.

It was always going to be a step up.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Last couple of games it's been more about being a defender. As Teuchterjambo mentioned he wins an awful lot of headers. Levels of expectation are leading to criticism that is not healthy.

Not sure why coaching would make players worse. Celtic are the best team and they have struggled t?o

Yup i definitely thought Nicholson's ability was being tempered on Sat......jesus christ.

Broxburn Jambo

I think a lot of the problem lies with our centre midfield, they are either losing the ball or putting the defenders under pressure by passing to the opposition, and in Gomis and Prince they don't seem to be mobile enough to find space for any of the defenders never mind Paterson to find them.

He is a tailor made striker.

He has strenth, power, great in the air, scores goals and is skillful as well.

Watt-Zeefuik

He is a tailor made striker.

He has strenth, power, great in the air, scores goals and is skillful as well.

Gary is that you?

Are we going to have this thread after every average performance the boy has?

He's a key player.

Seems to be the way, a few games ago Calum was worth millions and now he's average, got to love the jkb punters. Not to worry though plenty other players to get the next slating as Cal is suspected for Utd.

Perhaps the lad has been told by his manager to be a bit more defensive as we've been leaking goals lately. Just a thought

3fingersreid

Perhaps the lad has been told by his manager to be a bit more defensive as we've been leaking goals lately. Just a thought

Far to sensible :)

Might just also be along with the above that he's a young man having a wee bit of a dip in form but that's not allowed

True, but doesn't explain his poor distribution. He should concentrate on the square ball more, not giving away possession with miscued punts.

True, but doesn't explain his poor distribution. He should concentrate on the square ball more, not giving away possession with miscued punts.

Christ he canny kick a round one properly what would he be like with a square one :sunny:

Christ he canny kick a round one properly what would he be like with a square one :sunny:

Heard someone say "he's got a heid like a biscuit tin" (not paterson) on Saturday. Not heard that for a while. Other variation is "heid like a ten bob bit".

Heard someone say "he's got a heid like a biscuit tin" (not paterson) on Saturday. Not heard that for a while. Other variation is "heid like a ten bob bit".

"Heid like a thrupenny bit" in my day!

Yup i definitely thought Nicholson's ability was being tempered on Sat......jesus christ.

Nicholson was outstanding on Saturday. I suppose I didnt make myself clear - I was talking about us attacking as a collective unit. I accept we cant go gung-ho all the time but I get a little frustrated by the shackles that are sometime put upon us (for whatever reason)

His confidence will have taken a knock at the Hamilton game which won't be helping, and he is only 20 so will be more inconsistent because of that.

Opposing teams will have also realised how much of a threat he is and doing their best to nullify him. 

Patterson would probably be more suited to a 3-5-2 formation although I am not suggesting we play this way.  

Bazzas right boot

Not the most technically gifted player, but is athletic, great (the best , possibly) in the air, can put in a great cross and chips in with the odd goal. Not the most consistent, but the defence as a whole has an issue.

A player that will go further.

He is young and therefor inconsistent, and the teams confidence is low and Paterson seems to be effected.

I think our management team really need to stand up and be counted over the coming months in terms of tactics, picking up players confidence (some young) and getting the best from the new signings.

Thought Neilson was back at right back yesterday, not something I've noticed before in Paterson play but 3 times he leathered it up the touchline yesterday and out of play....very Neilsonesque.

If he defended as well as robbie did he'd be a great player

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Nicholson was outstanding on Saturday. I suppose I didnt make myself clear - I was talking about us attacking as a collective unit. I accept we cant go gung-ho all the time but I get a little frustrated by the shackles that are sometime put upon us (for whatever reason)

There is a fine balance of closing out matches whilst maintaining an attacking threat. We have not got close to mastering it lately, but see earlier demonstrations of note, versus Motherwell and Plastic Whistle.

Saturdays frustrations were more to do with the stop start nature of the game and plethora of chances missed. On another day we would have won 2 or 3 nil, but not this time. Teams have twigged we like to attack down the wings and are set up accordingly.

Jeezuz ... once again, look back at the weekend's match and see who was heading clear most of the balls into the box. A full back who also contributes at clearing the lines - fine with me.

Archived