Neilson should explain tactics

JamboJohn1874

alicante jambo

Robbie has already explained that he believes it was our failure to convert scoring chances that cost us yesterday. While it is impossible to say anything other than if all the chances we created yesterday had ended up in the net the game would have been over much earlier the truth is that even at the point of the substitution and only 1-0 there only looked like one end result, and that was 1-0 minimum. The reasons for the substitution, which totally changed the game, are going to have to remain a mystery (I would have hoped Robbie would have learned from the League Cup tie down at Rugby Park a few days earlier that they look better when able to play in the middle of the park, but have nothing when being pinned back. To then change in the next game against the same opposition from pinning them back to allowing them to take control of the middle of the park just makes no sense at all).

Thanks for that.I never seen any statement or interview.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's been a few games this season where he could have benefitted from explaining his tactics to the players.

There's been a few games this season where he could have benefitted from explaining his tactics to the players.

Very true

Yes lets look at the freekick that resulted in the goal, in our box was all our players so they could gamble in adding all their outfield players minus the goalie with the kicker in an attacking position we never had any opportunity to break because no-one was further up the park having say Juanma up the park would have resulted in them pulling 2 players to cover the break to me thats poor tactics and though the outcome may have been the same the possibilty of the ball breaking to a Killie player as it did would have been reduced I hope Robbie looks at this decision

The manager is never aswerable to the fans but several times Mr Robbie has made subs which have clearly been incorrect. Taking Sow off yesterday was a massive mistake which saw us defend 10 yards deeper and invited pressure which added to our poor finishing cost us 2 points.

He's also made a lot of very good substitutions or tactical switches. Yesterday, King definitely would have come on if fit so sometimes injuries are a factor. 

The manager is never aswerable to the fans but several times Mr Robbie has made subs which have clearly been incorrect. Taking Sow off yesterday was a massive mistake which saw us defend 10 yards deeper and invited pressure which added to our poor finishing cost us 2 points.

Not an expert but I thought before the sub we were giving up to much in midfield allowing killie to press higher up the park to counter that we take off a forward for a midfielder.

Seems reasonable, where it might have been more effective would be fresh legs up front at the same time but we don't really have that option.

Only really Reilly on the bench as a forward.

Jambof3tornado

He's also made a lot of very good substitutions or tactical switches. Yesterday, King definitely would have come on if fit so sometimes injuries are a factor.

I thought the simplest thing to do yesterday was bring swanson on for buaban who offered little.

ChunkyCharlie

Why would Robbie come out and explain his tactics?

What a bizarre request.

I thought the simplest thing to do yesterday was bring swanson on for buaban who offered little.

I agree. Was as shocked as Sow was when the number 10 came up.

This thread is a prime example of the dangers of social media. I'm sure the other 11 managers would be delighted should he choose to take up the offer

This. I thought he was quite open when talking about our squad and how he would use the players when he was first placed in charge. It was great for us fans to get to know more about the team and it maybe let us understand what was happening on the pitch a bit more but it also lets the other managers know what we're going to be doing as well which makes things more difficult for us.

Sow was subbed off yesterday, it could have meant anything, tactical which is less likely as we were playing well or more likely a injury/fitness issue which Neilson isn't and shouldn't be broadcasting before or even after a game as it will alert other managers and players and they will target the player in the next game, working him harder and perhaps making a couple of 'robust challenges'.

alwaysthereinspirit

Seems to me the vast bulk of supporters are frankly baffled by the managers questionable tactics, formations and mindnumbinhly bad substitutions.

If he intends doing this job in the longer term, it might be an idea for him to come out and try explain some of his thinking and keep the supporters on side.

At the moment we are on a collision course and frustration is building up seeing a team not playing a well as it could.

You should call him tomorrow first thing. Then come on here and give us all the answers we are all looking for. Quicker than us all calling him at the same time and getting frustrated with the busy signal.

FarmerTweedy

Seems to me the vast bulk of supporters are frankly baffled by the managers questionable tactics, formations and mindnumbinhly bad substitutions.

If he intends doing this job in the longer term, it might be an idea for him to come out and try explain some of his thinking and keep the supporters on side.

At the moment we are on a collision course and frustration is building up seeing a team not playing a well as it could.

Yes, that's a great idea.

Our head coach coming out and explaining to every other head coach or manager just what he's thinking, how he views their teams, why he sets his team up the way he does, how he decides on substitutions, etc, is exactly what is required.

There's no way that could possibly be of detriment to the team or the club.

FarmerTweedy

He's not accountable to anyone on here but it would be wise to keep the paying customer on side.

I think fans should be able to question his questionable decisions and if he has the courage of his convictions he should explain them.

Dont think it's an outrageous ask.

It's an utterly ludicrous ask!

He's not accountable to anyone on here but it would be wise to keep the paying customer on side.

I think fans should be able to question his questionable decisions and if he has the courage of his convictions he should explain them.

Dont think it's an outrageous ask.

You mean a bit like his criticism of Referees not speaking to him.?

Been a few holocaust threads since tea time yesterday, but this tops them off.

And the Gary Locke brigade need emptied. Not got a clue!

Let's be honest here, our squad is pretty average and not much better than many spl sides. Our signings in the summer have been poor and our midfield is pish. It was clear last season that midfield was our weak point and for whatever reason we didn't strengthen in that area.

FarmerTweedy

Sow being replaced wasn't exactly a surprise, think he's only lasted the 90 minutes once all season.  Swanson probably wasn't the right player to bring on for him though.

Not an awful lot wrong with our tactics yesterday to be honest.  We played well in the first half and should have scored a few more.  Second half we maybe sat too deep at times and it looked like we'd settled for a 1-0.  Maybe not the wisest idea but I don't think anybody expected Kilmarnock to score the way the game was going, and the goal pretty much came from nothing.  It forced Neilson into going back to 4-4-2 and the red card killed our chances of finding a winner.

Not taking our chances was the biggest problem yesterday.

To be honest, Sow being replaced at that point, given how the game was poised, did surprise me. We were controlling the game and looking well capable of scoring again (at least that's how I saw it) so had no need, or reason, to try to change the pattern of the game. In fact, we very much needed to keep the pattern unchanged. I'm assuming taking Sow off was primarily to protect him, but with only a one goal lead, it was crazy to make that change at that point, unless he'd actually indicated that he could feel a problem. I didn't see any sign of that though.

Collision course.

I think we're on a collision course with Aberdeen - two weeks

on the trot we've gained ground on them.

I presume the sheep are calling for Mcinnes' head on a plate. How shite must they be if a team as woeful as us has gained ground on them the last two weeks?

Charlie-Brown

Should we bring a guillotine just in case we don't like or agree with Robbie Neilson explanations?

Charlie-Brown

Nowt wrong with fan ownership but barring an horrific season or prolonged run of poor results & performance those charged with running the club are only accountable to fans / shareholders on a season by season basis.

I said last year he is Craig Leveins puppet and does as instructed. Craig would always try to save a game than win a game. It may not be a bad attribute it can be seen as downright negative by supporters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MacDonald Jardine

I said last year he is Craig Leveins puppet and does as instructed. Craig would always try to save a game than win a game. It may not be a bad attribute it can be seen as downright negative by supporters.

What does that mean?

We were winning the game, made (to me anyway) an unnecessary substitution and ended up drawing.

These things happen.

The OP smacks of a Hibs fan stirring it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You're right.

There in plain sight right from that first game against Rangers when we closed shop to see out the game when they equalised.

Right up until last week when we scored two goals in injury time in the cup.

Game after game after game.

It's so bleeding obvious I'm glad you pointed it out to me.

Why would Robbie come out and explain his tactics?

What a bizarre request.

Robbie explaining match tactics to the average drama queen on kickback would be like trying to teach a chimp Pythagoras' Theorem.

Dalstonjambo

Not sure I've seen the OP ever post anything positive. Most of his posts are nonsense. But this thread really takes the biscuit.

Eh.... we're third in the league after being promoted.

We have 17 points and the team in 7th place have 14. Dundee Utd will have appointed a new Manager just in time for our visit to Tannadice and you know what usually happens in those situations. We then have Ross Co at home who are doing really well at the moment so it will be interesting to see what position we are after those games.

This illustrates why internet for all has its draw backs

I think you are wrong. Why would CL bother appointing a head coach when he could just do the job himself ?

This witch hunt of Robbie seems to be nothing more than Garry Locke cheerleaders having their say.

If you lot had got your way we would still be in the Championship.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

I'll take a guess that Mr Robbie took off sow to bring killie onto us 10 yards deeper which would create space upfront for us to hit them on the counter and we win 2-0 and Robbie only too happy to discuss his tactics afterwards - or some other theoretical rubbish which never works (for him)

We don't pay his wages nor do we employ him so he doesn't have to justify anything to us.

Fans all across the world will gripe about their teams manager, said manager doesn't have to do **** all to win them over.

Yes lets look at the freekick that resulted in the goal, in our box was all our players so they could gamble in adding all their outfield players minus the goalie with the kicker in an attacking position we never had any opportunity to break because no-one was further up the park having say Juanma up the park would have resulted in them pulling 2 players to cover the break to me thats poor tactics and though the outcome may have been the same the possibilty of the ball breaking to a Killie player as it did would have been reduced I hope Robbie looks at this decision

Not too many fans picked up on this point. We had Defenders marking no one, and Killie had 3 players on the edge of the box. (one of who actually scored!)

If we had anyone on the half way line, this would have saved this goal. It was an utterly ridiculous situation. and one which could have easily been avoided.

This was purely a tactical move which should baffle anyone watching. My one criticism of Neilson is he is far too negative.

Not too many fans picked up on this point. We had Defenders marking no one, and Killie had 3 players on the edge of the box. (one of who actually scored!)

If we had anyone on the half way line, this would have saved this goal. It was an utterly ridiculous situation. and one which could have easily been avoided.

This was purely a tactical move which should baffle anyone watching. My one criticism of Neilson is he is far too negative.

I was at Celtic park a couple weeks back with a non-Hearts supporting mate. In the closing stages he kept pointing out how deep Reilly and Nicholson were dropping at Celtic corners. As you say this lets the opposition defenders to push right up the pitch. Saturday was the same. It was inviting pressure and we lost a goal from it. I'd add what makes this worse is how slow we are at pushing out and pressuring teams.

Both need worked on in my view.

chester copperpot

Why would Neilson have to explain himself to some halfwits on an Internet forum?

I love how half of you think buying a season ticket deems you an expert in all things football.

hearts_crazy

I've heard he get's all his instructions on a fax from some guy calling himself Radimir Vlomanov.

Bridge of Djoum

Robbie should be required, before every game, to stand on the centre spot with a mic, and explain his tactics to a JKB selected committee of attending PHM. 

If approved, he may carry on with said tactical plan. If not, the PHM delegation will return to JKB and debate over a course of time until agreement is reached. Only then, will the ref be given the signal to start the game.

Any other course of action is completely unacceptable, shambolic, and Hibs-like.

hearts_crazy

I do agree that this was the obvious substitution to make.

Or just start with Swanson and get Buaben to ****.

I don't need an explanation from him though, i'm not a Celtic fan, I'm sure he had his reasons (even if that reason was that he had gone temporarlily insane, still none of my business).

Why would Neilson have to explain himself to some halfwits on an Internet forum?

I love how half of you think buying a season ticket deems you an expert in all things football.

Spot on.  I suspect a lot of those who moan the loudest aren't s/t holders anyway.

I don't expect every decision Robbie makes wrt tactics, substitutions or signings will be right but, after the season he led the team to last year, he deserves better than a bunch of students/call centre workers etc on an internet forum challenging his every move. 

hearts_crazy

Robbie should be required, before every game, to stand on the centre spot with a mic, and explain his tactics to a JKB selected committee of attending PHM. 

If approved, he may carry on with said tactical plan. If not, the PHM delegation will return to JKB and debate over a course of time until agreement is reached. Only then, will the ref be given the signal to start the game.

Any other course of action is completely unacceptable, shambolic, and Hibs-like.

This in spades!!!!

Whilst I do not think Robbie needs to explain his tactics to all in sundry - I think it would certainly assist the 'we're in it together' relationship that the Club promote if he did give us his reasoning for taking off Sow in the usual post match analysis he gives us on the HMFC website.

I am sure he had a very good reason for the substitutions, so what harm would it do sharing it with Hearts fans who attended the game?

Archived