Neilson should explain tactics

JamboJohn1874

JamboJohn1874

Seems to me the vast bulk of supporters are frankly baffled by the managers questionable tactics, formations and mindnumbinhly bad substitutions.

If he intends doing this job in the longer term, it might be an idea for him to come out and try explain some of his thinking and keep the supporters on side.

At the moment we are on a collision course and frustration is building up seeing a team not playing a well as it could.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alicante jambo

It would be interesting to know why he took sow off.Why he played two holding middielders against one of the weakest teams in the league.

Getintaethem

It would be interesting to know why he took sow off.Why he played two holding middielders against one of the weakest teams in the league.

He took Sow off in order to go 4-5-1 from what I could see, think he was trying to protect the lead (not a decision I agreed with btw).

I don't think Buaben is a holding midfielder, he just didn't play very well. I thought Robbie should have taken Buaben off for Swanson, but we were winning at the time, so he may have been wary of leaving the defence exposed.

People have been complaining about not playing 4-4-2, then when we do, they still complain.

Getintaethem

We made enough chances to win three games, an over officious referee didn't help, and they scored with their only real shot on goal. They mugged us, pure and simple, much like we did to Celtic the week before.

alicante jambo

He took Sow off in order to go 4-5-1 from what I could see, think he was trying to protect the lead (not a decision I agreed with btw).

I don't think Buaben is a holding midfielder, he just didn't play very well. I thought Robbie should have taken Buaben off for Swanson, but we were winning at the time, so he may have been wary of leaving the defence exposed.

People have been complaining about not playing 4-4-2, then when we do, they still complain.

Fair enough response mate but taking the best player off backfired on us.Yesterday was the best ive seen sow.

Getintaethem

Fair enough response mate but taking the best player off backfired on us.Yesterday was the best ive seen sow.

I agree. I also wouldn't have taken Walker off. Poor finishing was the main factor in us dropping points though.

Ron Burgundy

This.

Like he is accountable to anyone on here! :cornette:

He's not accountable to anyone on here but it would be wise to keep the paying customer on side.

I think fans should be able to question his questionable decisions and if he has the courage of his convictions he should explain them.

Dont think it's an outrageous ask.

Francis Albert

plumbing new depths now. I didn't agree with the subs but he successfully set us up to dominate for most of the game

the equaliser had nothing to do with the subs - soft free and poor defending of the set piece. but yes robbie should invite the media in to explain his tactics, before the game so jlb can comment and advise.

alicante jambo

Fans need to know as frustration will set in then the fans stop going then we end up with no money.

Francis Albert

Fans need to know as frustration will set in then the fans stop going then we end up with no money.

oh well some way to go before depths truly plumbed!

Need to know what exactly?

alicante jambo

Need to know why he plays players out of position.Yesterday why he took sow off.Let the fans know whats happening a lot of arguements wouldnt happen.Thats just for starters hes made a lot of bad calls recently.Apart from the cup match weve been shite for ages.

Sow's nearly always taken off early is he not? Isn't it just that he is trying to be kept from his past injuries. Seem to remember something about this last season. To do wih his hamstrings and long legs or something....

We made enough chances to win three games, an over officious referee didn't help, and they scored with their only real shot on goal. They mugged us, pure and simple, much like we did to Celtic the week before.

What about the shot we cleared off the line in the first half? Killie whilst playing poor could easily have been 1 up.

Need to know why he plays players out of position.Yesterday why he took sow off.Let the fans know whats happening a lot of arguements wouldnt happen.Thats just for starters hes made a lot of bad calls recently.Apart from the cup match weve been shite for ages.

And how do you think he should do that, make an account on here?

I understand that some calls have been questionable, but he's not exactly going to write an open letter to the support explaining them is he.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Sow being replaced wasn't exactly a surprise, think he's only lasted the 90 minutes once all season.  Swanson probably wasn't the right player to bring on for him though.

Not an awful lot wrong with our tactics yesterday to be honest.  We played well in the first half and should have scored a few more.  Second half we maybe sat too deep at times and it looked like we'd settled for a 1-0.  Maybe not the wisest idea but I don't think anybody expected Kilmarnock to score the way the game was going, and the goal pretty much came from nothing.  It forced Neilson into going back to 4-4-2 and the red card killed our chances of finding a winner.

Not taking our chances was the biggest problem yesterday.

Francis Albert

who did he play out of position yesterday? and ages? really? maybe if you have the attention span of a not too bright goldfish

alicante jambo

who did he play out of position yesterday? and ages? really? maybe if you have the attention span of a not too bright goldfish

Mmm goldfish aye ok mate youve got school tomorrow go on get yer bath.Nobody out of position yesterday taking sow off bothered me.Playing bauben bothers me.Paterson no kicked a ball for ages bothers me.Whos picking the team?Goldfish ffs

I don't think he was referring to players being played out of position in yesterday's game it was a generalisation as it has happened this season in other games. I think since the Hamilton game we have been quite poor and you also have to remember the clue to where the guy lives is in his name. So don't think he gets to many games so is reliant on Hearts Tv or similar and forums such as this.

Neilson should explain his decisions so a bunch of muppets on a forum argue less.

Right.

Seems to me the vast bulk of supporters are frankly baffled by the managers questionable tactics, formations and mindnumbinhly bad substitutions.

If he intends doing this job in the longer term, it might be an idea for him to come out and try explain some of his thinking and keep the supporters on side.

At the moment we are on a collision course and frustration is building up seeing a team not playing a well as it could.

Totally agree with you he confuses my mind like mad

Point is we should be doing better don't buy this top six bollocks we should be pushing Aberdeen

Sierra Delta

Great idea.

We could have it in the matchday programme and call it "Robbie's Rationale" where he has to justify every decision that he's made in the past week. 

Think people are mostly complaining because he switched from 442 to 451 and it cost us 2 points

alicante jambo

Neilson should explain his decisions so a bunch of muppets on a forum argue less.

Right.

No i never said explain on a forum.Whats wrong with a statement on the official hearts website or in the following game programme or if he does twitter.Im no sure mate still trying to get over a massive lost chance yesterday.

What a terrifying and yet fascinating prospect.

What do we want?

We don't know!

When do we want it?

Now!

Lord Beni of Gorgie

This thread is a prime example of the dangers of social media. I'm sure the other 11 managers would be delighted should he choose to take up the offer

Curious how every single manager in US sport has to attend a press conference after every game on pain of large fines and suspensions for not turning up or acting like a total dick. Is it possible that they know how important keeping their customers informed is to the health of the sport?  Just like salary caps and instant replay to prevent bent refs from throwing matches. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

Sow's nearly always taken off early is he not? Isn't it just that he is trying to be kept from his past injuries. Seem to remember something about this last season. To do wih his hamstrings and long legs or something....

Sensible enough but yesterday he still looked full of running and was the one giving Killie the most problems at the time unlike Juanma who I thought had faded.

Curious how every single manager in US sport has to attend a press conference after every game on pain of large fines and suspensions for not turning up or acting like a total dick. Is it possible that they know how important keeping their customers informed is to the health of the sport?  Just like salary caps and instant replay to prevent bent refs from throwing matches. 

Managers also have to give interviews here. They don't have to give away their tactics though!

The Real Maroonblood

He's not accountable to anyone on here but it would be wise to keep the paying customer on side.

I think fans should be able to question his questionable decisions and if he has the courage of his convictions he should explain them.

Dont think it's an outrageous ask.

Spot on.

portobellojambo1

No i never said explain on a forum.Whats wrong with a statement on the official hearts website or in the following game programme or if he does twitter.Im no sure mate still trying to get over a massive lost chance yesterday.

Robbie has already explained that he believes it was our failure to convert scoring chances that cost us yesterday. While it is impossible to say anything other than if all the chances we created yesterday had ended up in the net the game would have been over much earlier the truth is that even at the point of the substitution and only 1-0 there only looked like one end result, and that was 1-0 minimum. The reasons for the substitution, which totally changed the game, are going to have to remain a mystery (I would have hoped Robbie would have learned from the League Cup tie down at Rugby Park a few days earlier that they look better when able to play in the middle of the park, but have nothing when being pinned back. To then change in the next game against the same opposition from pinning them back to allowing them to take control of the middle of the park just makes no sense at all).

Jambof3tornado

The manager is never aswerable to the fans but several times Mr Robbie has made subs which have clearly been incorrect. Taking Sow off yesterday was a massive mistake which saw us defend 10 yards deeper and invited pressure which added to our poor finishing cost us 2 points.

Archived