I do not like football.

AlimOzturk

Have the CL history highlights recorded every week now and barely watch it in fact even the couple I have watched I don't get to the end of them before switching off.Recorded the European leagues highlight shows on BT as well but have yet to watch one of those.

SwindonJambo

I'm entirely with the OP. I moved South with my parents aged 14 in 1981 and travel North 3 or 4 times a season to watch my beloved Hearts. The train through from my native Hamilton and walk from Haymarket down into Dalry and Gorgie and soaking up the special matchday build up and atmosphere still gives me a real buzz. But as for the wider sport of football, I couldn't care 2 hoots for it. It's been totally destroyed by money and in Scotland's case by total strangulation by the uglies' domination and media fawning over them. The result is that the country's other big clubs have lost even more support to the smellies than previously. And the bad news is that normal service looks like it will be resumed next season as glory hunting OldCo fans crawl out of the woodwork.

I rarely watch MOTD, as I find the money sloshing around in the sport down here absolutely sickening. I use the term 'sport' loosely as it's now very much a business. The blanket media coverage has taken away the treat that live Football on TV once was.

Is it to do with getting older? Speaking on my own behalf here, right I'm not far past my thirties, when I was late teens n a good bit into my twenties football was my life, still is in a sense but not in the way it once was, I'm bored of it, from paying for sky (epl) to now (by choice) bt, it's a bloody con. Football as me and you all once loved is gone. On that note... I ****ing love Heart of Midlothian more than ever [emoji23].

I'm entirely with the OP. I moved South with my parents aged 14 in 1981 and travel North 3 or 4 times a season to watch my beloved Hearts. The train through from my native Hamilton and walk from Haymarket down into Dalry and Gorgie and soaking up the special matchday build up and atmosphere still gives me a real buzz. But as for the wider sport of football, I couldn't care 2 hoots for it. It's been totally destroyed by money and in Scotland's case by total strangulation by the uglies' domination and media fawning over them. The result is that the country's other big clubs have lost even more support to the smellies than previously. And the bad news is that normal service looks like it will be resumed next season as glory hunting OldCo fans crawl out of the woodwork.

I rarely watch MOTD, as I find the money sloshing around in the sport down here absolutely sickening. I use the term 'sport' loosely as it's now very much a business. The blanket media coverage has taken away the treat that live Football on TV once was.

just read this mate, spot on [emoji106] that's how i see things.

Is it to do with getting older? Speaking on my own behalf here, right I'm not far past my thirties, when I was late teens n a good bit into my twenties football was my life, still is in a sense but not in the way it once was, I'm bored of it, from paying for sky (epl) to now (by choice) bt, it's a bloody con. Football as me and you all once loved is gone. On that note... I ******* love Heart of Midlothian more than ever [emoji23].

I think 'getting older' probably plays a part in it for a lot of people..... with that age comes other responsibilities and opportunities and such like.

Its easy to justify spending ?30 a week going to the football when you're young and have very few cares in the world or other ways to spend that money.

Just now though - I find it harder to find the time to get along to football matches as I've so much other stuff going on, and harder to justify the money as theres an almost infinite list of other things I could spend that money on.

Must admit, when I saw the thread - I actually thought most folk would be in disagreeance with the jist of it. The fact that the overwhelming majority of folk are in agreeance with it is a bit of a tragic reflection on the current state of affairs....... on this, a forum for football fans, a large majority of us are becoming completely bored by football outwith the stuff which is closest to us. That's quite a damning reflection.

No terracing.

No beer.

Diving.

Pink boots.

Football is pish.

Except for The Hearts.

Jambo 4 Ever

Feel sorry for kids these days when it comes to football - no one to connect to or look up to anymore. For instance who in our current Hearts team would you look up to as a kid? No Robbo's or Hartley's anymore

Jambo 4 Ever

Great post!

What about all the foreign players in the game now and players only staying at a club for a season or 2 and then moving on. No more Gerard's and Lampard's etc

Feel sorry for kids these days when it comes to football - no one to connect to or look up to anymore. For instance who in our current Hearts team would you look up to as a kid? No Robbo's or Hartley's anymore

Sow and Nicolson each put in absolutely superb shifts on Saturday, as good as I've seen from any Hearts players in the 'glory days'

To much nostalgia on this thread IMO

Kids these days can watch football 7 days a week, including a number of high profile games from a variety of leagues every weekend.

I would have killed for that kind of coverage back in the day.

The only problem with it for me is that kids will grow up identifying with the glamour clubs ont he continent and down south, rather than getting involved at local level.

chester copperpot

What makes us special?

Shakes head. We're special in many ways but we've had moments of sadness. I include the Romanov years in that as I don't look back on that with particular fondness. Except the 2 cup wins :facepalm:

What makes us special?

Over and above the rich history, the best club name in the world and so on, they're ours.

I agree with OP. It is only Hearts for me rarely watch other matches on TV no interest in epl or champs league. I like Scotland to do well (but as i don't have SKY never see a live Scotland game usually just goals on news). That said I find it hard cheering on the likes of Brown, Naismith etal.

Салатные палочки

When I was younger I lived and breathed football.  All I wore was Hearts tops (as family photos show), all I played was Sensi Soccer, I used to get really upset when we lost and I cried like a wee bitch on 16/05/98.  Every matchday I was up early, bit of breakfast and Gazetta Football Italia before heading off for the bus or train.  Like swindonjambo above said, getting off the train at Haymarket and walking down Dalry/Gorgie, buying a programme and checking out the scarves and flags, a look around the club shop, a pie then up to our seat.  I was like a kid at Christmas.  

These days however I couldn't really give a flying feck about football outwith Hearts and to a lesser extent, Scotland.  I still have MOTD/2 and the CL highlights on series link but I can't stand to watch the whole programme and usually just fast forward to the goals.  

My boy is 9 now and has never really shown a great interest in the game.  He has had a couple of jambo tops but has never, ever asked to go to a game or to even play.  He is much more interested in stuff like animals, dinosaurs, computer games etc.  And you know what, it doesn't upset me one bit.  As mentioned, the money in the game, especially down south, is disgusting and I for one can't wait for the day the erse falls out it.  

I have, to a degree, fallen out of love with football.

25 years ago, in the early days of BSkyB, I'd happily sit through 5h1te like Stevenage v. Kidderminster in the 1st round of the FA Cup. The only live games that interest me now are Hearts matches I can't attend, or Hibs games (in the hope they'll lose).

I'd given up watching the CL, even when it was on cooncil telly. Boring. The same clubs playing each other every season, usually with the same outcome.

Mind you, I did catch motd last night, first time for a long while, and was genuinely captivated by the brilliance of Arsenal.

loveofthegame

Absolutely love football, can't get enough of it. Playing and watching.

Will always be my number one passion in life.

SwindonJambo

Great post!

What about all the foreign players in the game now and players only staying at a club for a season or 2 and then moving on. No more Gerard's and Lampard's etc

A good point well made.  When I started following Hearts (30 years ago today as it happens!), we had one club stalwarts who you could identify with.  Every club had one or 2 that you could identify with and, to a degree defined that club and gave it a soul, even the smaller Premier League clubs.  Thanks to money, the stalwart is now a thing of the past.

Aberdeen had Miller,McLeish & Leighton, Dundee Utd had Malpas, Sturrock, Narey and Hegarty.  Even the Smellies, despite their stifling financial advantage no longer have stalwarts.  Scott Brown doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as his 80s & 90s predecessors.  Every top league club in Scotland is a mixture of jobbing journeymen doing a 2 year stint and the occasional local talent which will quickly move on when the 1st decent offer arrives.

Last season after the 1st derby of the season (won 2-1) I hung around with the gathered crowd the back of the main stand afterwards to see the players leave. The young team of Paterson, Nicholson and co got applause.  However, when Robbo, then 50 appeared he was thronged with autograph hunters. More than the youngsters added together.  And being the gent he is, he happily obliged, signing every one that I could see.  There are no new club legends  - at ANY club :(  We could point to Rudi and Paul Hartley, but they did 3 seasons each. I know Pressley did 8, but he ruined his reputation with a lot of fans afterwards for events that have been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere.

Sad times.  But as others have said I love Hearts much more than I love football.  When the shit hit the fan 3 years ago I bought shares and tickets and am an FoH member.  In fairness, Hearts have adapted better than most clubs in Scotland to the modern era of 'no chance of winning the league due to arse cheeks strangulation', with the support holding up well.  Others have fared far less well...

Bungalow Bill

The only reason i actually watch football is because i love Hearts. Apart from that i would not even watch the game.

Money has ruined the game.

I've felt like this for years.

Stopped watching MOTD a couple of years back now. I've not stopped watching football completely, the World Cup, Champions League final and Euro's being the examples. But I have to say, I've enjoyed this years Rugby World Cup more than the last two Fifa World Cups.

Love Hearts, meh to football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Son Of Anarchy

I'm genuinely surprised at the amount of apathy towards football in general. Well not surprised really, just the amount of us. The money is just so ludicrous now that I feel no affinity with any players. I think I still love football but hate what its become. Jealousy comes into it as well. I'm struggling to afford my match ticket yet players earn my yearly wage in a week (not at Hearts I may add). Its become a monster for sure.

best in the land

Have to agree, apart from hearts I have no interest in football.

Only yesterday at a family gathering someone was talking to me about the English games that were on and I had no clue! No interest on what teams are doing well or badly or who plays for what team.

I've even given up on Scotland games now. If hearts had gone I wouldn't watch another game.

Teuchterjambo

I loved playing football, kicking a ball was a passion and have always told people to play as long as you can because life changes when you stop. After I stopped playing, I did all the coaching stuff for a long time but nothing ever came close to kicking a ball and I still miss it. That is the football I loved and at the time there were heroes that I could identify and connect with, principally Jim Cruickshank, Donald Ford and Denis Law.

Age denies me the opportunity to kick a ball and as many others have said the only interest I have is the Hearts  .... football itself has turned into an ego fest punctuated by greed and cheating and has little interest to me at all.

The only reason i actually watch football is because i love Hearts. Apart from that i would not even watch the game.

Money has ruined the game.

Great post.  I couldn't agree more.  Can't even work up much enthusiasm for watching Scotland and if I was offered 6 months jail or watching Hamilton v Ayr Utd on a wet night, I'd choose jail every time.

Teams look the same.

The obsession with passing has stifled some players the freedom to express. Of course there are still some great games over a season at the top level but when is the last time you watched a great game between ,say, Stoke and West Ham or other similar sides? Even middle table sides had two or 3 exciting players many moons ago.

Again, we can quote the old school and their crystal ball. I remember my Dad telling me a long time ago that we are breeding mediocre players as the game has become all about midfield.

The art of great centre forward play is slowly being lost too because of it.

Teams look the same.

The obsession with passing has stifled some players the freedom to express. Of course there are still some great games over a season at the top level but when is the last time you watched a great game between ,say, Stoke and West Ham or other similar sides? Even middle table sides had two or 3 exciting players many moons ago.

Again, we can quote the old school and their crystal ball. I remember my Dad telling me a long time ago that we are breeding mediocre players as the game has become all about midfield.

Good point.

The obsession with stats and trying to 'Moneyball' the game is dull and now used by coaches to justify poor results ("we lost but had 63% of the possession" etc). The epitomy of this new breed of player is Joe Allen, a guy who makes loads of short passes and achieves zero. All for ?15m.

Great post.  I couldn't agree more.  Can't even work up much enthusiasm for watching Scotland and if I was offered 6 months jail or watching Hamilton v Ayr Utd on a wet night, I'd choose jail every time.

I know you're kidding (I think!) but you can't say money has ruined the game and then refuse to watch Hamilton v Ayr.

Where money has ruined it is by the globalisation of the game: it used to be that more fans left Hamilton in coaches to watch the old firm than support their local team, now more fans sit at home telling everyone they are Madrid/Barca/Arsenal fans.

Bazzas right boot

Don't watch as much as I used too.

Funnily enough, I did watch allot of the women's wc.

It wasn't the best quality, however it was new and refreshing with passion.

No rolling about, no mincing about. Just two teams playing football.

Maybe that's it, the epl and it's glamour is just a bit boring now, same old as before.

What was mark Warburton saying last week, maybe he had a point.?

boabyarsebiscuit

I still love going to games. Hearts obviously. I travel a fair bit with work, and will watch any team who happen to be playing in the city I am in if there is a live match on.

Generally though, I agree with most people on here, and when it comes to TV games I find myself far too easily tuning out these days. I think in the past it was not that unusual, even in tournaments like the European Cup / Champions League, to see a fair few unexpected results. These days less so, very boring.

Francis Albert

Teams look the same.

When kids of 3 to 4 years old are subjected to "drills" at Riccarton and elsewhere it is hardly surprising individuality and self expression has largely died out.

I agree with pretty much all the sentiments expressed in this thread.

I watch Tottenham either live or on TV & that is it. I dont even bother watching Match of the Day anymore.

If we were to go to the wall i would stick to watching live non-league football.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I thought I was the only one that thought this way. So glad I am there with the others. I love Hearts and I relent to international football, other than Scotland, they are way too frustrating for words. Love a good summer tournament, simply because money cant buy you them.

Archived