I do not like football.

AlimOzturk

The only reason i actually watch football is because i love Hearts. Apart from that i would not even watch the game.

Money has ruined the game.

Jambof3tornado

Junior said yesterday that the way killie played (to break up the flow of the game and slow things down,helped by beaton may I add),is the reason scottish football is such a poor league.

Have to say I agree.

More so when you consider the costs involved.

Junior said yesterday that the way killie played (to break up the flow of the game and slow things down,helped by beaton may I add),is the reason scottish football is such a poor league.

Have to say I agree.

In fairness, our gamesmanship when our guy was receiving treatment was something else.

The only reason i actually watch football is because i love Hearts. Apart from that i would not even watch the game.

Sums up my attitude to the sport.

alicante jambo

Juanma diving about.Osh rolling about the ground and augustyn for the size of him falling down easy its no just killie ruining the game.Its been garbage for years possibly 25 years.Celtic rule the roost and when sevco are back up next season within 2 years theyll be up there with celtic shouting the oddsthen everything will be back to normal.A huge opportunity has been missed to totally transform the game.My love for hearts is the only thing keeping me interested.If we had went to the wall i would not bother about scottish football at all.

Love football but a lot of footballers are complete and utter dicks.

They carry on like they are surgeons or scientists or anything worthwhile and get paid way more than these people who studied for years to try to actually help people and still they dive, cheat and play act like spoilt children. So many seem to lack any sort of loyalty to their clubs and will kiss badges one day and be handing in transfer requests as soon as a larger club shows any interest.

Then there are the agents. The scourge of the game is the lecherous scum that fleece the fans of money. Vlad was right about that one.

kingantti1874

Agree with the op.... I used to watch every love game I could squeeze in, it's absolute lost its soul... Especially the EPL

Football is a bit "pantomime" nowadays. Players waiting for a "touch" before throwing themselves to the floor. Unfortunately this is now an acceptable part of our "contact" sport.

I watch a lot more non league in England as its "proper" football and tackles and physical strength appear to be encouraged and not penalised.

Footballs changed a hell of a lot in my 40 odd years of watching, and not all for the better IMHO.

Have to say I agree.

It's the exact tactics we deployed last week

Do kind of agree don't really watch much stuff especially English boring EPL

Money has destroyed the game agree with op

Agree with all on thread here. I'll watch a game 'if it's on' but won't go out my way. Hearts, Scotland, World Cup. That's about all I could say I'm genuinely interested in whereas I'd generally loved the game,watched every match I could, subscribed to 442 all that stuff.

More n more chat like this these days. Wonder if we're getting close to widespread apathy. Wheels coming off the whole thing best possible scenario imo.

Love Hearts but I reckon it's a genetic malfunction more than anything else!!!!

Love football but a lot of footballers are complete and utter dicks.

They carry on like they are surgeons or scientists or anything worthwhile and get paid way more than these people who studied for years to try to actually help people and still they dive, cheat and play act like spoilt children. So many seem to lack any sort of loyalty to their clubs and will kiss badges one day and be handing in transfer requests as soon as a larger club shows any interest.

Then there are the agents. The scourge of the game is the lecherous scum that fleece the fans of money. Vlad was right about that one.

To be fair, any professional footballer will already have undergone a rigorous period of training from an early age but years of time and effort can be lost on the whim of a coach, or an injury.

They are paid too much, yes, but to compare them to doctors is pointless. Why do we pay hundreds of pounds to watch when that money could save lives as well?

I've accepted the game is not what I knew and can happily tune out of rubbish like the Champions a League or the Sky Sports hype, knowing it is not really aimed at the likes of me anyway. It's for kids.

To be fair, any professional footballer will already have undergone a rigorous period of training from an early age but years of time and effort can be lost on the whim of a coach, or an injury.

They are paid too much, yes, but to compare them to doctors is pointless. Why do we pay hundreds of pounds to watch when that money could save lives as well?

I've accepted the game is not what I knew and can happily tune out of rubbish like the Champions a League or the Sky Sports hype, knowing it is not really aimed at the likes of me anyway. It's for kids.

It's a fair comparison in terms of actual contributions, ego and salary. I guess you could say the same about other celebrities as well though.

I would love to see a Rugby style attitude concerning fair play and respect for the referee and how their word is final and the players just get on with the game without shouting and arguing with the referee, mind the officials would need to be able to communicate with the players and also to command the respect and trust of the players for that to happen, so I guess nothing will ever change certainly in Scotland as the GFA would need to change their attitude as well.

Money has undoubtedly ruined the game but so has weak, corrupt and incompetent officials who allow players to roll about, play act, cheat, shout at and generally abuse referees.  

EPL is dire. I still enjoy Scottish football.

There's a lot of commitment about, still.

Even yesterday was quite entertaining, in its way.

BroughtyJambo

I'm the same, it's Hearts and nothing else now. I'm 41 now and my Dad took me to my first game at Tynecastle in 1983. I've went every season since then with my Dad and if it wasn't for the Hearts I really think both my Dad and I would be doing something else on a Saturday afternoon.

Too many teams/players in Scotland either look up too or want to play for the gruesome twosome. Edinburgh is the capital of Scotland but the organisations who control our game are based in Glasgow, as well as our 'national' stadium.

The days of a Scottish player going to the EPL and being a top drawer player are long gone. If you don't play for Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea can you see any other EPL team winning the league for the foreseeable future?

I read a great article about the NFL and the NBA the other day, salary cap, set budgets for wages, better spread of the money. Just seemed like really simple ideas. Can you imagine the uproar from Celtic or newco and the press in Scotland if something like that was even suggested.

I hate to say it but Hibs have let me down this season. I really wanted them to be top of the Championship and Rangers struggling like last year. Another possible season for the Rangers in the Championship would do them no favours and pull Celtic down as well. Stories of missing out on ?11 million for not qualifying for the Champions league benefits every other club. Less money to spend means the perceived quality of players they can afford is less. Another season of Rangers in the lower league would cut Celtic player budget even more and force them into looking for players in the same leagues as everyone else.

When was the last time any club out with the old firm actually spent money on a player?

Outwith the old firm in the last 10 years is it only us who have sold players to clubs down south for more than pocket change? (Gordon, Berra).

Sorry for the rant, apologies as it ain't my thread

I totally agree with this. Apart from Hearts I rarely watch football these days.

I have lost all interest in the EPL and I refuse to fork out money to BT Sport to watch Champion League matches.

The only match I'll sit and watch is the odd El Classico but thats about it.

The Old Tolbooth

I've had more enjoyment and entertainment out of the rugby World Cup than any football match anywhere this year, I can't even watch a full 90 minutes without being distracted these days, and that's any game, football has become a right boring game to watch, sadly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Francis Albert

I remember people 40 years ago bemoaning the state of the game and the drastic decline in standards.

It's a symptom of old age.

Combined with televised football being a once or twice a year treat and now at least a once or twice a day glut.

I would love to see a Rugby style attitude concerning fair play and respect for the referee and how their word is final and the players just get on with the game without shouting and arguing with the referee, mind the officials would need to be able to communicate with the players and also to command the respect and trust of the players for that to happen, so I guess nothing will ever change certainly in Scotland as the GFA would need to change their attitude as well.

Money has undoubtedly ruined the game but so has weak, corrupt and incompetent officials who allow players to roll about, play act, cheat, shout at and generally abuse referees.

Rugby Union is going exactly the same way as football since the advent of professionalism. If you watch the current World Cup you'll see plenty of players berating referees and touch judges, play acting, trying to get opposition players into trouble, wasting time, kicking the ball away or holding on to it to prevent penalties being taken quickly etc. In a previous World Cup I've even seen Saint Brian O' Driscoll, Mother Teresa and Nelson Mandela to us all, going up to a referee and literally screaming in his face because a decision went against his team. Rugby League, on the other hand, seems a much more disciplined sport, at least from what I see of it on TV.

Football is the same as it has always been - it's just that there's far too much of it available, and people are weary of it. I'm pretty sure if I wanted to, I could switch on BT Sport now and watch live football more or less uninterrupted through until about 10pm. Live football on TV has gone from being a rare commodity to be treasured to something that is on in the background. As such, it has lost its special quality. Going to a match is still special for me.

Exactly. The same tactics that poorer sides will use against better sides until the end of time. To be fair, referees have got to start deciding what is an actual foul and what is just a guy falling down. Beaton got properly mugged off yesterday, giving fouls as soon as somebody hit the deck. It's something that really needs to be addressed because players know that all they need to do is collapse and they will win a freekick.

I remember people 40 years ago bemoaning the state of the game and the drastic decline in standards.

Combined with televised football being a once or twice a year treat and now at least a once or twice a day glut.

It is nothing really to with quality. The game is currupt from the top down and there is not a shred of dignity left in the game. Aii you get the odd freak result but generally the staus quo win.

It is not fair and right.

Apathy is the word i am looking for.

queensferryjambo

Seriously though it can be really tough watching Hearts and Scottish football at times.

Chin up though things could a lot worse - you could support H1b5

To be honest, Augustyn, Juanma & Oshinawa yesterday were an embarrassment to the jersey as far as pretending to be injured. I would run on & boot them in the baws to ensure they really were injured if I was RN. This needs stamped out. I dont pay good money to watch primadonnas. Pish.

Francis Albert

To be honest, Augustyn, Juanma & Oshinawa yesterday were an embarrassment to the jersey as far as pretending to be injured. I would run on & boot them in the baws to ensure they really were injured if I was RN. This needs stamped out. I dont pay good money to watch primadonnas. Pish.

Our keeper is excused because he is Scottish?

Our keeper is excused because he is Scottish?

No. Not at all. Not being xenophobic but the 3 players I mentioned were play acting yesterday. Agree our keeper got in the act too. Players today roll about on the floor like they have snapped a bone in 6 places & 2 minutes later are sprinting around like a gizelle. Needs to stop. I really don't want to watch that pish anymore.

Jambof3tornado

Yes against celtic with a team costing a fortune. The other 11 teams in the league can all compete against one another. No need for all the falling over that the kille players went with.

Seymour M Hersh

What a load of pish. 

Seymour M Hersh

No. Not at all. Not being xenophobic but the 3 players I mentioned were play acting yesterday. Agree our keeper got in the act too. Players today roll about on the floor like they have snapped a bone in 6 places & 2 minutes later are sprinting around like a gizelle. Needs to stop. I really don't want to watch that pish anymore.

You do realise some of it was to allow more time for Rossi to get treatment don't you? I think Oshinawa winded himself when he fell which can be very painful.

What a load of pish.

Why? Do you enjoy watching the time wasting 'luvvies' play acting?

You do realise some of it was to allow more time for Rossi to get treatment don't you? I think Oshinawa winded himself when he fell which can be very painful.

I do realise that & I know RN passed on a message to Alexander to pretend an injury in order to waste more time. If a player is genuinely injured (or winded) fair enough but I really dont want my team to turn into a bunch of diving girlies every time they lose the ball. Its not goid to watch & if we continue to go down this route we will inevitably gain a reputation.

Shooter McGavin

EPL, Bundesliga, BBVA and Champions League etc have no appeal to me whatsoever. Annoys me when Scottish people go and support Barca, Real Madrid, Man City etc yet they will never go to an actual match. Very annoying when you get the usual "Scottish football is just boring" reply.

Francis Albert

Seriously though it can be really tough watching Hearts and Scottish football at times.

Chin up though things could a lot worse - you could support H1b5

or you could have watched hearts in the 60 and 70s

zoltan socrates

I don't really watch foreign football, incl epl because for me football is about passion, I only have that passion for HMFC, even Scotland doesn't bother me in the way it used to pre 98

the soul is being sucked out of our game, there is no favour saying that as the arse cheeks are the biggest they should get the biggest share, that leads to what we have, a monopoly, or in our case, given normal circumstances, a duopoloy

the power beaks have done nothing to address this, for competition we need a handicap system that forces a level playing field, back when the split was first announced I thought that the final third of games meant a zeroing of points and a sprint to the finish, your first 3/4 of the season was played for the right to be in the race for the title - that would have improved things imo and helped create that level playing field, but infact it actually does nothing other than create tv games to fulfil a schedule, idk if that would be an answer but as it stands its not really worth my time watching football, I love hearts but hate the organisation they have to play in

we might as well all watch reruns of our favourite dvd, at least then we wouldn't be kidding ourselves about a different outcome

MacDonald Jardine

I remember people 40 years ago bemoaning the state of the game and the drastic decline in standards.

It's funny that the 70s and early 80s are now described as a golden age.

They weren't perceived that way at the time.

It's funny that the 70s and early 80s are now described as a golden age.

They weren't perceived that way at the time.

Nostalgia plays funny tricks, mate.

Some of the dirge I watched 35 years ago makes today's football world class.

To contradict that a little however, the whole experience is sanitised now...then it was a better experience......but that could be age !

English game back then was terrific, to be fair. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I find myself nowadays often switching off MOTD before the end because I guess I am bored with the over hyped game down south. As for Sportscene I often can't be arsed in the first place so my overall love of the game has diminished but Hearts are still and always will be a huge part of my life. If there is a big game on I will still probably watch it down the boozer but not really get fully ingrosed unless we are involved that is.

MacDonald Jardine

Nostalgia plays funny tricks, mate.

Some of the dirge I watched 35 years ago makes today's football world class.

To contradict that a little however, the whole experience is sanitised now...then it was a better experience......but that could be age !

English game back then was terrific, to be fair. 

I agree about the experience but wonder how much is down to age.

It's hard to see how kids today would be interested in watching Scottish football, particularly when attempts to start a singing section etc are ridiculed by so many.

I agree about the experience but wonder how much is down to age.

It's hard to see how kids today would be interested in watching Scottish football, particularly when attempts to start a singing section etc are ridiculed by so many.

Difficult question to answer probably.

I would say young men now are the same as young men back then. The football was a part of their lives and is now i'd wager.

Personally, the whole social experience was the attraction rather than the actual quality of the football but that's not to say it didn't matter.....getting into Europe was as big a thing back then because, let's face it, we never won much....or anything for that matter.

I would say the last ten years of Hearts is the best football i've seen from them apart from, maybe the mid to late eighties.

As regards the singing sections...good luck to them but away Hearts supports have never needed any created support, it just occurs....all seated stadia probably explains that I suppose. 

michael_bolton

I'm a Hearts supporter and always will be. I'm very excited about the Motherwell away game in a few weeks as it'll be my trip home and first time seeing Hearts this season. I love watching Hearts, seeing my mates etc. But football in general is starting to leave me cold. It's just not competitive. I find myself questioning more and more these days just what the point is. But I'll never kick the Hearts.

I do enjoy watching German football. Have done for years. I've been to watch football all over the world, and still jump at the chance to go to a game. But for me going to a game is still special. Stuff I can't attend, like the CL, or the Premier League pantomime etc just leaves me cold.

I've watched a lot of NRL this season. As a concept and a competition is pishes all over anything going on in football at the moment. Fantastic grand final today as well. And there's no reason to assume next year's competition won't be as competitive and exciting. We know how next season's Scottish football is going to go. It wears you down.

Same here, Hearts or no footy at all, ice hockey yes cos I love it, speedway why not, womens volleyball yep (pretty popular out here) ;)

Son Of Anarchy

Love football but hate the big money side of it. Players soft as putty now. Saying that had a day off today and been watching non stop football from 1pm this afternoon until the Madrid derby ends and I will then watch PSG recorded. Serious overdose but beers flowing and I deserve it :)

Jam Tarts 1874

I like watching the top countries in the World Cup and the Euros.

Everything else is over-priced, pointless and a waste of time.

Archived