Is neilson 'untouchable'?

Muppetboy

Given how highly regarded he obviously is by levein and Ann budge, will the current pattern be allowed to persist or will ruthlessness be shown by the owner and neilson be shown the door? If so, how long does he realistically get?

He should be given the season at least, he's going to make mistakes along the way but realistically we're not going to be relegated, we're not going to win the league. I believe we'll still get top 6 with Neilson in charge and i don't see the point in punting him for (insert name?) At the moment.

He's not going to get sacked. We're still 3rd, top six is the goal, so unless we end up sitting 9th and drifting close to the playoffs, then he'll still be manager. He just has naive moments and he really needs to sit down and see how his tactics are working from video footage.

Special Agent Dale Cooper

He's got plenty of time I would say. Sitting third is no disaster and to fire a rookie manager after a few mistakes would be folly. 

However if we are faced with the threat of relegation, that situation will inevitably change.

Sack him when we are third in the table? I'm sure he's been set a target of top six so Ann won't be in a panic just yet I think.

loveofthegame

Sack him now - no chance. But if he fails to get top 6, he should be thanked and politely asked to move on.

10 games in and we're clearly relegation material. No point getting us up if he can't keep us up.

He should walk now if he had any dignity.

A team with our budget should be 3rd in the league. It's a disgrace.

The Internet

If he's sacked I'll lose a lot of, or all, faith I have in what we're trying to do. Such a shite thing about modern football to talk about sacking managers after the first bad run of results.

Sack him???? FFS. Think I'll take a break from on here for a bit. The Sow substitution was baffling but I'm betting it wasn't him who told Buaben and Gomis not to pass to players in maroon jerseys.

The point is we should be doing better than where we are.... If this squad of players were managed by a decent attack minded manager we would be better than where we are. We have a fantastic squad with a lot of pace but they are being held back by Mr defence minded neilson... Our full backs don't attack and we sit too deep

Not impressed robbie

alwaysthereinspirit

Untouchable? No but way to early to be talking of " get rid off"

We're not friggin' Chelsea.

Pants Shaton

He should have been sacked after Hibs beat us at Easter Road.

We could have got Jimmy Calderwood or Kenny Shiels in and given us a right good pre-season.

loveofthegame

If he's sacked I'll lose a lot of, or all, faith I have in what we're trying to do. Such a shite thing about modern football to talk about sacking managers after the first bad run of results.

Agreed, talk of sacking now is beyond premature. Expressing frustration at his decisions of late completely warranted, but talk of sacking now is a joke.

In an incredibly average league we should be finishing in the top 4 though with current squad.

Just as a matter of interest. Who do the folk who think it's time to get rid of RN think would do a better job? This should be good.

He's not going to get sacked. We're still 3rd, top six is the goal, so unless we end up sitting 9th and drifting close to the playoffs, then he'll still be manager. He just has naive moments and he really needs to sit down and see how his tactics are working from video footage.

He's had five league matches that he's not won to work out his tactics. Today we thought he had finally realised that two up front and two wide players is the way to go but rather than do a straight swap Reilly for Sow and keeping the same shape he feked it up and it cost us the game. Everyone around us looked baffled when Swanston replaced Sow, who was our best player today by far. Killie looked toothless upfront and were no threat at all until Neilson went back to his tried and failed ways of four previous league games. If he hasn't worked out his tactics in the last five games (and let's face it, we were extremely lucky in the Cup as well) he won't.

The Internet

Agreed, talk of sacking now is beyond premature. Expressing frustration at his decisions of late completely warranted, but talk of sacking now is a joke.

In an incredibly average league we should be finishing in the top 4 though with current squad.

:spoton:

I'm certain we'll finish in the top 3 too.

JeanLouisValois84

How is this conversation Being allowed to happen? I'm hoping it's all tongue in cheek. We should have been out of site in today's game, but it just didn't happen. No disaster

SectionDJambo

Crazy talk of sacking him, but he needs to start learning from his mistakes and being a bit more adventurous, especially at home.

Kilmarnock were there for a comfy beating today but we were nowhere near ruthless enough when on top.

I'm no expert, but some of his substitute decisions are head scratchers for me.

If so, how long does he realistically get?

Hopefully no longer than us slipping to the depths of fourth place.

Neilson is not untouchable as far as criticism goes, he has made some poor tactical choices in recent weeks, but he is a young manager still gaining experience by the week.

As far as anything beyond criticism, there is absolutely no question IMO of sacking him, or even considering that as an option. First season since promotion with a squad still getting used to the SPFL and one another, Robbie should be given the season as a minimum. We have had a bad few weeks but let's be realistic, we are still sitting third place after being newly promoted.

Common sense will prevail but it's often hard to come by on here. Sacking Neilson? Jesus wept.

Guest Trapper John

We shouldn't sack him but we have to accept that the SPL is undoubtedly a step up from last season.

With a frail defence and questionable substitutions ie taking your best players off the park to be replaced by inferior ones during crucial periods of the game, it does point to the fact that Neilson is still finding his way. Unfortunately, in this league we'll be punished for these mistakes unlike last year.

5 games without a league win is normally unacceptable. Robbie will get the benefit of the doubt because its the SPL and he's fairly new. 

What worries me though is he keeps repeating the same errors. Sow's body language was clear today in that he didn't want to come off. This stubborn insistance to remove him on 70 minutes is concerning.

This place amazes me sometimes...

This ad infinitum. A good season in the diddy league does not mean we should be thinking about european football. Staying out of the bottom 2 places should have been our target. We'll manage that. Anything else is a bonus. Some folk on here spout off like Sevco fans.

If we repeat the points haul from the last 5 games into the next 5 I'd seriously consider showing him the door or bringing levein inot a more prominent role.

He should be given the season at least, he's going to make mistakes along the way but realistically we're not going to be relegated, we're not going to win the league. I believe we'll still get top 6 with Neilson in charge and i don't see the point in punting him for (insert name?) At the moment.

Agreed.  Age we live in with forums etc, pressure mounts more than it should.  Knee jerk is an understatement.

Lessons need learnt and, and I say this with caution and no basis, I do wonder if Levein has too much influence on tactics.  Robbie, for me, makes all the mistakes and frustrates me in the same way as Levein did both at Hearts and Scotland.  Even when winning it was attritional to say the least.  Not claiming fax machines or anything but I do worry Robbie is either caught between a rock and a hard place not fully able to be his own man, or maybe trying too hard to emulate his mentor.

If course, he could be just another over-thinker and is totally his own man.

Game management is one thing, but give our boys license and I think we win most our games.  And the ones we lose, maybe we still see a great game.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I too would love to hear the replacement. 5 shit games and yer oot despite the great 40 or so before.

Should be a fun week or two ahead with international boredom looming

I f###% despair at the zoomers on here.

Our first season back and we're 3rd and there is talks of sacking RN.

JamboCampbell

If we had scores one of the 10 clear chances we had today would this thread be here? I hope the OP is joking or 10 years old

grumpyespana

Maybe Craig will put a arm round him and tell him about his mistakes as some people seem to think.

Grumpy

Untouchable? No but way to early to be talking of " get rid off"

We're not friggin' Chelsea.

At least Jose will be available to replace Robbie tomorrow, the Chelsea one as opposed to the Bonnyrigg one :toff:

I can't believe some of the nonsense being posted tonight

penicuik jambo

Shown the door.... Jesus wept, bunch of pant wetters. Embarrassing stuff if some of our support actually want this

I f###% despair at the zoomers on here.

Our first season back and we're 3rd and there is talks of sacking RN.

Is it a change in our support post-VR?  I genuinely find Hearts fans (on here mostly mind you!) pretty hard to take!!  A lot of delusion as to who we are and where we've sat for most of our history.

Yeh I want to win every game and I'm frustrated at Robbie as I think we've some great tools he's not using properly, but folk wringing their hands and wailing about it??

Genuine question.  Has it always been this way?  Or did we get a raft of "new" supporters early VR years.  Fifa, Football Manager-playing, EPL-loving, Champs League watching guys who don't get that football's actually more about getting together with your pals and family and letting loose for a while and if your team happens to be great then that's wonderful???

FFS! We have just been promoted to a much tougher league than the one we romped. We are sitting 3rd near the top of the table, We are just on a bad run at the moment. Cannot believe people are seriously asking how long Robbie has before he gets the push. Chill out people. Relax. We were never going to win the league after winning our 1st few games no matter what some on here thought. Just as we wont get relegated because we lose some games. I think it will be a fantastic achievement to finish top 6. Come on guys. Get behind the team and the players. Slaughtering them wont improve them. it will just help you vent your frustrations which moves you nearer a heart attack! Let's calm down and enjoy the team.

Good luck Robbie and Craig.

Sack him???? FFS. Think I'll take a break from on here for a bit. The Sow substitution was baffling but I'm betting it wasn't him who told Buaben and Gomis not to pass to players in maroon jerseys.

Seen this mentioned on numerous threads, Sow has been substituted in the majority of games i have seen around the 60 minute mark. That includes last season, so there must be a long term niggle to explain this.

Buaben is one I would have hooked, Swanson stated he can play no 10 so would have been a reasonable substitution if not ground breaking.

Guest Trapper John

Agreed.  Age we live in with forums etc, pressure mounts more than it should.  Knee jerk is an understatement.

Lessons need learnt and, and I say this with caution and no basis, I do wonder if Levein has too much influence on tactics.  Robbie, for me, makes all the mistakes and frustrates me in the same way as Levein did both at Hearts and Scotland.  Even when winning it was attritional to say the least.  Not claiming fax machines or anything but I do worry Robbie is either caught between a rock and a hard place not fully able to be his own man, or maybe trying too hard to emulate his mentor.

If course, he could be just another over-thinker and is totally his own man.

Game management is one thing, but give our boys license and I think we win most our games.  And the ones we lose, maybe we still see a great game.

Levein's Hearts sides would have rolled over that Killie mob today. They were rotten.

Maybe Craig doesn't have ENOUGH input. I'm not one of those revisionists who pick the shit out of Levein's time as manager. Back to back third spots, 10-15 points ahead of the rest when the Old squirm were at their strongest. He was a great manager for us. Only his cup record was piss poor.

And Levein's sides were hard to beat. Now we look brittle in every game.

Levein is the problem, not Neilson. I don't know exactly how much influence he has but the negative tactics and excessively worrying about the opposition has Levein's DNA all over it. Having 11 players back defending corners is a nonsense. Neilson's comments after Parkhead, claiming that he doesn't have a team capable of winning there, were very disappointing. Scottish football is poor and we have a team that is more than capable of winning at Parkhead. A big part of football is psychological and it's not helpful for our players to hear their manager adopt such a negative outlook. We have good players at our disposal and if Levein and Neilson cannot get the best out of them, then someone else will have to come in.

Is it a change in our support post-VR?  I genuinely find Hearts fans (on here mostly mind you!) pretty hard to take!!  A lot of delusion as to who we are and where we've sat for most of our history.

Yeh I want to win every game and I'm frustrated at Robbie as I think we've some great tools he's not using properly, but folk wringing their hands and wailing about it??

Genuine question.  Has it always been this way?  Or did we get a raft of "new" supporters early VR years.  Fifa, Football Manager-playing, EPL-loving, Champs League watching guys who don't get that football's actually more about getting together with your pals and family and letting loose for a while and if your team happens to be great then that's wonderful???

It's just the internet in general, opinions are over dramatised and bandwagons jumped on by just about everyone, you find folk to be more level headed and less dramatic about things away from forums etc.

Archived