Dundee Utd Blogger in the Daily Ranger

broony1985

We would be a wonderful league without the Old Firm.

Within time (I'd say 3 years) we'd all also be earning more money from league football. Crowds would be up and the competitive nature of the league would get more TV interest, sponsorship and advertising.

You'd have at least 6 teams each season that could win the league.

It would be perfect.

A breakaway should happen and be followed through with. The fans should start to demand it.

You can't demand to have teams thrown out of a league because they win it all the time.

What fans should be demanding is a fairer division of the millions/billions of pounds being thrown at the game right now. If UEFA really want competition then they will have to back that up with action.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we broke away we would be excluded from European competition. Should the 16 teams in the EPL breakaway from the 2 Manchester clubs and the 2 London Clubs?

Not sure about that.

When it was going to happen 20 odd years ago I recall that all that needs happen is that your league is approved by UEFA as being the primary league in that country and that its rules are compliant with its rules. It had been looked into and wasn't considered a problem by the 'rebel 10'

Things might have changed though...

You can't demand to have teams thrown out of a league because they win it all the time.

What fans should be demanding is a fairer division of the millions/billions of pounds being thrown at the game right now. If UEFA really want competition then they will have to back that up with action.

You are aware that a breakaway league was on the cards 20 years ago?

The thing is the of will not leave Scotland because of the fact that they like 2 think that they can bully the rest of us and try to pinch our best players 4 pennies I.e ciftci Armstrong gms and scott allan in celtics case and because when rangers get back into the top flight they know that it will be a 50/50 fight for the league if they went to 4 arguments sake down south they would struggle because outside of Scotland as celtic proved on Tuesday night they are simply not good enough to compete with a higher level of opposition and they never will be

You are aware that a breakaway league was on the cards 20 years ago?

I am, but I suggested turning attention away from Hampden, and towards wherever UEFA is located.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I have never read a more accurate assessment ever. Not a single word did I disagree with.

It is particularly cringe worthy how Celtic try to rub much smaller clubs nose in it. I think the media have a duty to highlight this embarrassment to them.

The Mighty Thor

You know things are a bit shit when the TV deal for a season of Scottish Football amounts to roughly what Sky pay for 1 premiership game. 1 ****ing game!

The thing is the of will not leave Scotland because of the fact that they like 2 think that they can bully the rest of us and try to pinch our best players 4 pennies I.e ciftci Armstrong gms and scott allan in celtics case and because when rangers get back into the top flight they know that it will be a 50/50 fight for the league if they went to 4 arguments sake down south they would struggle because outside of Scotland as celtic proved on Tuesday night they are simply not good enough to compete with a higher level of opposition and they never will be

If celtic ended up in the premier league somehow, the money they would generate would make them a top 6 team over time, no question about it.

That goes for any club though, if hearts played league football in England, with the setup we currently have, we would be pushing playoff in the championship side.

If celtic ended up in the premier league somehow, the money they would generate would make them a top 6 team over time, no question about it.

That goes for any club though, if hearts played league football in England, with the setup we currently have, we would be pushing playoff in the championship side.

Yep.

We're bigger than **** like Bournemouth for a start.

alwaysthereinspirit

Depressingly defeatist piece more like. Luckily our Craig and Robbie are made of stronger stuff. Some folk need to grow a set!!

Not quite. Him being a realist doesnt make him a defeatist. What would him growing a set do for the players of Utd.

He didnt sell three top players to a rival.

Yep.

We're bigger than **** like Bournemouth for a start.

Blackpool, one of the worst run clubs in the country made it to the premiership. ****ing Blackpool?!

Scary how much money has distorted things in England

doctor jambo

That does not work though.

If Hearts were dropped into the EPL, as sole Scottish representative and somehow survived for a few years we would be enormous as all the glory hunter fans would join us to watch us in the EPL.

Same as if we joined La Liga.

To speculate though is ridiculous , as it cannot happen.

Nor can it happen for the new Old Firm.

Our league is already improving due to Celtics financial castration caused by Euro failure and falling gates due to the Rangers implosion.

Good

It's an article that states the obvious without really setting out a constructive argument for something different.  Unless, of course, the something different is an SPFL without the OF.

The thing that I don't think Celtic (and Rangers) fans don't get now is that players go there entirely for the money.  Maybe that has always been the case, but I feel that there was a time - and not so long ago - that players went there because both clubs genuinely were big clubs - big in terms of reputation rather than financial clout.  Now, even the financial clout is diminishing, but it's still well above what the rest of us can compete with.

Isn't the key issue here about how the money is distributed?  Should the bigger supported clubs be expected to subsidise clubs with lesser supports?  I have to say, if Celtic think they are being blunted by a league incapable of providing a challenge, then Celtic need to look at how the cash is distributed.  A different funding model could have all sorts of caveats, such as percentage of monies being stipulated for recruitment, stadium improvement, coaching facilities, etc.  Question Celtic needs to ask is how much does it want a challenge - what matter most: income or football?

doctor jambo

It's an article that states the obvious without really setting out a constructive argument for something different.  Unless, of course, the something different is an SPFL without the OF.

The thing that I don't think Celtic (and Rangers) fans don't get now is that players go there entirely for the money.  Maybe that has always been the case, but I feel that there was a time - and not so long ago - that players went there because both clubs genuinely were big clubs - big in terms of reputation rather than financial clout.  Now, even the financial clout is diminishing, but it's still well above what the rest of us can compete with.

Isn't the key issue here about how the money is distributed?  Should the bigger supported clubs be expected to subsidise clubs with lesser supports?  I have to say, if Celtic think they are being blunted by a league incapable of providing a challenge, then Celtic need to look at how the cash is distributed.  A different funding model could have all sorts of caveats, such as percentage of monies being stipulated for recruitment, stadium improvement, coaching facilities, etc.  Question Celtic needs to ask is how much does it want a challenge - what matter most: income or football?

Income- it has shareholders, that is all that counts.

And they need CL football, so in reality they want to win the league every year.

What they mean is they want more competition whilst still winning the league- a tricky balance- a sterner test but with the same end result

doctor jambo

And better distribution of cash?

We too would fal lfoul of this at the moment and would have to surrender money to our competitors

the difference being they really are our competition,

whereas the OF don't really have any most of the time (though may have this season)

I've always believed prize money from Europe should be distributed equally amongst the clubs, for a start.

And better distribution of cash?

We too would fal lfoul of this at the moment and would have to surrender money to our competitors

the difference being they really are our competition,

whereas the OF don't really have any most of the time (though may have this season)

I didn't actually say 'better distribution'.  I know it's a non-starter.  Not sure we'd fall foul of it, as such; I think we'd probably receive money over and above our gates, but would get less of the 'distributed wealth' than the likes of Dundee, Motherwell, etc. 

Would people still like F1 as much if every driver had to drive identical cars ie a real test of driving skill as opposed to who happens to have this year's fastest model?

Maybe one solution is the have two titles within one league. Celtic (or Old Firm) then best of the rest. Just playing however it would only formalise the status quo.

alwaysthereinspirit

In all honesty Celtic dont want a challenge. Collins can spout as much guff as he wants about his world class players needing to be pushed to their limits here at home to help them in Europe. When we all know that if the moment ever came Celtic fans realised they were out off a title race they'd be gone. A real challenge is the last thing Celtic want or need.

Expert on the subject

It pretty much how I see it , the thing I like is he brands the fanatic Celtic and Rangers fans  as the same , which of course they are  - but despise being reminded of !

?Blue and Green bigots? ?Two sided of the same coin??Brothers in arms

Next time Celtic crank up their bile songs vs Hearts we should respond with ?Are you Rangers in disguise ??

Like the Barca saying  they are more than a club in their own right , they are more sinister than that .....The Old Firm they are a duopoly of bigotry , let?s not draw any distinction they are not worthy   !

If we don't get rid of them the alternative to making it more competitive is having a rugby style play off for deciding the champions at end of the season.

Question Celtic needs to ask is how much does it want a challenge - what matter most: income or football?

Are we in a unique(ish) position of not having to pander to shareholders?

As a shareholder, I couldn't give a monkey's about dividends - all I'd want to see is a competitive side on the park playing decent football. I'd wager the majority of our shareholders would feel similarly (which actually may not account for the majority of shares...)

This is the effects of capitalism and it is reflected in society as a whole. The problem we have is the richer are getting richer and the poorer are getting poorer. The solution is to spread the wealth.

By rewarding the rich clubs with even more wealth - setting them so far ahead that poorer clubs have no chance - then what is the point? Does this make football exciting as fan? The article writer is spot on when he says money has corrupted our game and top clubs are capitalism businesses whose only interest is profit.

Francis Albert

It won't be allowed for a team outside the infirm to win the premier league.  They're in the second tier because they cannot operate without credit, nobody in the establishment can do anything to sort that ... they can try to help them by giving them home Petrofac ties against their ex-premier rivals and then the first game at home against an ex-premier club to fill the coffers.

Although I am usually in the paranoid, maroon tinted specs camp I think the first sentence is nonsense. We were "allowed" to win promotion last season and Rangers inability to get credit didn't stop them putting out a team that was vastly better paid than ours.  We were "allowed" a shot at the CL when Rangers weren't.

And this "establishment" is elected by the clubs. It is in the clubs hands to change the establishment (as it was to change the 11-1 voting requirement on issues that might actually increase competition). But th clubs (including our club)   chose and still choose not to do anything to upset the "establishment" they continue to elect.

Bert Le Clos

He's spot on about Europe too.

One thing I do agree with is that the winners of each domestic league should qualify for the group stages of the Champions League and there should be more done to distribute wealth from European competition further down the league.

Because as he says, the rich are just getting richer as it currently is.

We_are_the_Hearts

So what happens if we breakaway then us and Aberdeen become the BIG teams with crowds 3x the others. Do the others then spit the dummy and say it's no fair and want us kicked out?

So what happens if we breakaway then us and Aberdeen become the BIG teams with crowds 3x the others. Do the others then spit the dummy and say it's no fair and want us kicked out?

Well, no. Since we don't have to give too many ****s about what shareholders think we'd be able to press for a better organised Scottish game overall. Obviously we'd continue to look after #1 but not to the crushing detriment of the majority of the rest of SPFL teams as is currently the case with the big one (probably soon to be two).

Did I not just say that at post #40

The guy's spot on.

It's the same as the sevco fans bleating on about being the most successful team in the world, yeh in a two team league for the most part.

Since 1890 the top flight in Scotland has been won on only 19 occasions outwith either Rangers or Celtic, 19 times out of what 120 or so (take out the war years).

Rangers = 54

Celtic = 46

The Rest = 19

I suppose for Celtic fans they had almost a decade of Rangers winning - now it's a chance to do the same and catch up (overtake) the 54 titles old Rangers won.

The Treasurer

The problem is that UEFA DON'T want real competition.

They just want to ensure that the cash keeps rolling in.

Annual fixtures between the like of Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca etc ensures that.

They don't want to risk pissing off the TV companies and sponsors by having a games featuring teams from less fashionable football countries, even if they are champions

Francis Albert

Well, no. Since we don't have to give too many ****s about what shareholders think we'd be able to press for a better organised Scottish game overall. Obviously we'd continue to look after #1 but not to the crushing detriment of the majority of the rest of SPFL teams as is currently the case with the big one (probably soon to be two).

To be honest I think I could live with us looking after #1 to the crushing detriment of the rest of the SPFL teams. 

Especially if the rest of the teams choose to do nothing about it.

Francis Albert

Annual fixtures between the like of Real Madrid, Bayern, Barca etc ensures that.

They don't want to risk pissing off the TV companies and sponsors by having a games featuring teams from less fashionable football countries, even if they are champions

Would there be anything to stop the SFA/SPFL requiring more even distribution of the profits from European qualification within domestic football? Is the current pittance that is redistributed determined by the SFA/SPFL or UEFA?

This is the effects of capitalism and it is reflected in society as a whole. The problem we have is the richer are getting richer and the poorer are getting poorer. The solution is to spread the wealth.

By rewarding the rich clubs with even more wealth - setting them so far ahead that poorer clubs have no chance - then what is the point? Does this make football exciting as fan? The article writer is spot on when he says money has corrupted our game and top clubs are capitalism businesses whose only interest is profit.

Settle down Fidel. We all have to turn a profit (or unrequested fiscal surplus for the right on). The wealthiest clubs are pretty much bankrolled by billionaires or massively in debt, profits and dividends are, on whole, sparse or non-existent.

If it wasn't for our very own oligarch we would be two cups lighter and rattling about in Murrayfield. Another effect of evils of capitalism afforded our current benefactor to save our "collective" asses.

To be honest I think I could live with us looking after #1 to the crushing detriment of the rest of the SPFL teams. 

Especially if the rest of the teams choose to do nothing about it.

Isn't that what the OF collective have been doing since 1888? With the blessing and backing of our governing bodies.

I really believe the game worldwide needs a monumental shake-up.

I also believe it's naive to think it's gonna happen..

doctor jambo

The thing is though that the "less fashionable countries" would be more fashionable if they had more cash....

Sepp Blatter was correct in that you need to bring more countries into the pot and fund them to spread football properly.

UEFA is anti this - the countries with the mega deals already get even more out of the CL pot.

Its all a bit daft

You have clubs that are winning multiple CL titles , despite NOT winning their domestic competition, whilst the champions of some nations cannot even get into the groups

Francis Albert

Isn't that what the OF collective have been doing since 1888? With the blessing and backing of our governing bodies.

I really believe the game worldwide needs a monumental shake-up.

I also believe it's naive to think it's gonna happen..

But the governing bodies are chosen by the clubs, and the clubs have supinely accepted, in some cases even apparently welcomed subservience to the Old Firm. Bought out by two or four above average home attendances (although these days not that far above average), the occasional big cup crowd,  the occasional player sale at knockdown prices, and the sort of crumbs from the rich men's table that had people on here actually wanting Celtic to succeed and earn multiple millions just so we'd get a cash injection equivalent to one months' FoH subscriptions. There are things that could be done to make Scottish football more competitive. I understand why the OF oppose them. I don't understand why the rest of the clubs don't try to do something.

"Games against Celtic, and Rangers when they were around, are very much things to be endured, like root canal treatment or brussel sprouts at Christmas."

Where I've been for 50 years as an adult fan.

I reckon that most Green Cheek (and Blue Cheek) fans are still playing Wolfenstein Mark 1 and, of course, using all the cheats.

For them, it's no?t about achieving anything, it's just about winning.  Most of them would probably jump off a cliff, if they got into the likes of the EPL.  Couldn't handle not winning!
?

I didn't actually say 'better distribution'.  I know it's a non-starter.  Not sure we'd fall foul of it, as such; I think we'd probably receive money over and above our gates, but would get less of the 'distributed wealth' than the likes of Dundee, Motherwell, etc. 

Would people still like F1 as much if every driver had to drive identical cars ie a real test of driving skill as opposed to who happens to have this year's fastest model?

F1 is sh1te, almost as boring as the EPL and CL, which I've totally lost interest in and no longer care about.

(Am I doing this right?)

Very good piece.

But I still believe we are going to be league winners within 4 years. Might even be this one.

I've yet to see a bag of money score a goal.

Nobody will convince me otherwise that Hearts will be champions soon.

Do you know what would be very refreshing? If some of the media stopped pandering to the Old Firm all the time with their constant bile about how Scottish Football needs them and backed the majority of the other 40 senior clubs and their fans who think exactly the same as this blogger.

If they took the lead and started playing down the Old Firm and if the SPFL and SFA took the same stance then things would maybe start to change but then that will never happen, it is only a pipe-dream.

That's far to sensible. Take a look at who Bbc Scotland have as pundits, not many not associated with either half of old firm. Even BT have sold out with Sutton & Hartson the other night.

Biggest problem in Scottish football is not Celtic it's the people running the game. For the good of the game massive change is needed where no chairman or owners of member clubs have too much influence when decisions are made that affect all member clubs. Also sack Doncaster don't really know what he does for his fat paycheque

Blackpool, one of the worst run clubs in the country made it to the premiership. ******* Blackpool?!

Scary how much money has distorted things in England

You do realise Blackpool used to be a huge club in England and were a top division team? finishing runner up I believe, and they also won the FA cup and had regular internationals playing for them. 

132goals1958

You do realise Blackpool used to be a huge club in England and were a top division team? finishing runner up I believe, and they also won the FA cup and had regular internationals playing for them. 

The famous Mathews final in 1953 when Stan Mortenson  was a regular England International.  

i wish jj was my dad

Decent piece from the guy.

Until we stop running Scottish football for the benefit of the bigots I don't see anything changing.  I would love to be proved wrong though

Bazzas right boot

Although teams will always rise to the surface in any league, the difference will not be that great, the league will get dominated by 2/3 teams however there will be surprises.

Motherwell have ended up 3rd how many times?

Teams like Hibs, Utd, even Inverness would have their day.

The cups would also be shared out more equally

Unlikely you would have two winners over 30 years, going on 50 years and teams going for 10 in a row and the likes.

As a bonus, the bigotry would also be taken out.

But would that last? Give it 20 years and Scottish football could just as easily be moaning about the duopoly of Hearts and Aberdeen.

If you think about it, say we start next season with no OF. Hearts and Aberdeen become the 2 biggest clubs, we edge Aberdeen to the title and make it through to the CL qualifiers before going out in the final qualifying stage and like Celtic this season, drop into the Europa league and make ?8.5m. We are already the financially strongest side due to FOH contributions and sell out crowds. This then puts us on a totally different level to anyone else in the league.

Aberdeen take advantage of our Europa league campaign and win the 17/18 season and do the same, now two clubs are ahead of the rest and even after 2 years it is almost impossible for other clubs to compete.

Fast forward 20 years and our crowds soar (due to lapsed OF fans, glory hunters and kids that no longer have the neither the option nor the inclination to gaze along the M8) to fill a revamped 40k seat stadium (paid for from year on year European qualification), Aberdeen have hoovered up the ex-OF fans in the north and are pulling crowds of 30k, between us we've won every title for 20 years and Scottish Football back to square one.

One can dream !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's spot on tbf, I've said it for a few years now that Celtic fans must be totally bored, no-one gives a flying **** when they win the league but they celebrate it like a massive achievement, it's like me going onto FIFA starting a career with Real Madrid on beginner mode and pretending I'm ******* great when i inevitably romp to the title.

we've all done this on FIFA lol

Archived