League Cup Third Round Draw - Killie away (Merged Threads)

West Jambo

Thursday 2:30pm

Seeded: Celtic, Aberdeen, Inverness CT, St. Johnstone, Dundee Utd, Ross County, Motherwell, Kilmarnock

Unseeded: Hearts, Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Morton, Falkirk, Livingston, Rangers/Airdie, Hibs/Stranraer.

Kilmarnock at home for me please.

Ugly sisters to get each other and if Hibs squeeze through then a trip to Dingwall for them.

That'd do nicely.

oh ah grantona

Just if motherwell fell last night we could have been seeded.

Ideal draw is anyone of the 4 seeds we have played already at home

Ahhh the good old league cup draw, made in the deepest darkest cupboard in a bunker underneath SFA headquarters. Don't think the games are on TV so guessing the big teams will escape each other until then.

Surley we can avoid Celtic this time. Its becoming ridiculous how often we get drawn against them.

Also its a joke how we are unseeded. I know its the rules becuase we are the team that were just promoted from the Champuionship but we won the Championship by 21 points last season and are top of the Premiership.

Prince Buaben

No, we wont. You can virtually guarantee the OF will get drawn together.

That will  be kept for later on. They got an OF derby last year so can wait another couple of rounds.

Victor Meldrew

Of course, we'll be the unseeded team that no-one wants to draw at the moment. I don't think we should fear anyone. We've had some pretty good results at Parched in the League Cup in recent times.

oh ah grantona

Why are we unseeded - we are the great Jambos! 

we needed 5 teams to fall last night who finished above us last year, we got rid of 4

The question is, now that we will face a 'big' team, will we now play a strong line up in order to progress or will Robbie continue to use the competition to give fringe players time?

I don't think the starting line up last night has the potential to go any further in the competition. Our full strength team could win the thing.

Absolute joke having seeded and unseeded. Pretty much ensures that the Premiership teams will always progress and a championship/div1-2 side will never progress with a 'lucky cup run'

Nucky Thompson

I've got a feeling Hibs will get Celtic for a change and we'll get Dundee Utd at home

The question is, now that we will face a 'big' team, will we now play a strong line up in order to progress or will Robbie continue to use the competition to give fringe players time?

I don't think the starting line up last night has the potential to go any further in the competition. Our full strength team could win the thing.

There is no way Robbie will play the team that played last night against Premiership opposition.

Wehn is the next round of games to be played?

There is no way Robbie will play the team that played last night against Premiership opposition.

I still don't see him playing our 'strongest' team.

William H. Bonney

September 22/23

I think a lot will depend on when the next round is and who play play in the following game. We may have a few more injuries and I think Robbie will want his strongest side for the league games.

I still don't see him playing our 'strongest' team.

It depends if anyone is carrying any knocks.

He says he is serious about winning the cup this year. If he plays a team like he did last night then he is obviously not.

September 22/23

Great I am away on holiday so will be missing this as well as the Aberdeen game!

Well if we beat Hamilton, Inverness and Aberdeen, it will be interesting to see what Robbie does with team selection as we will be playing Celtic that weekend.

LarrysRightFoot

Why the ?&@? is the draw seeded!!

Another thing that needs expelled from football altogether!

We'll definitely be playing on wed 23rd since we've got Aberdeen on the Sunday before.

Think the draw is being streamed live on the spfl you tube channel.

Home tie please :thumbsup:

Aye right - we don't get home ties!!

How do the seedings work for drawing home/away ties?

It's a good question, the first few teams finished in the top six so would imagine that had something to do with it although why Motherwell, Ross Co and Killie are seeded I have no idea other than the fact they were in the SPL. Just answered my own questions below.

Here is what the rules say on Wikipedia.

The competition is open only to the 42 clubs who compete in the SPFL. There are no replays, so all matches ending in a draw after 90 minutes are decided by extra time and, if necessary, penalty kicks.

The four teams who, based on results of the previous season, have qualified for UEFA competitions are given a bye until the third round of competition, together with the highest placed Premiership finisher not in UEFA competitions. The seven other teams in the Premiership in the previous season receive a bye into the second round.

The 29 teams from the lower three divisions and the team promoted to the SPFL Premiership are seeded based on the previous year's league positions and begin play from the first round. They are drawn into pairs (one seeded and one unseeded) with the games played at the stadium of the first team drawn. (The draw is set up to ensure that a seeded team at home in the first tie is followed by an unseeded team at home in the second, and so on) The 15 teams advancing from the first round are drawn together in the second round with the seven teams receiving a bye. The eleven teams who advance from the second round are joined by the final five teams in the third round, with seeding in place. The remaining rounds of competition are unseeded.

The semi-final matches are played on a neutral ground, determined by the location and size of supports involved. The final game is traditionally played at Hampden Park in Glasgow, though due to renovations some finals have been played at other venues, such as Celtic Park or Ibrox.

How do the seedings work for drawing home/away ties?

First team drawn (seeded) at home

V

Second team drawn (unseeded) away.

Third team drawn (unseeded) at home

v

Fourth team (seeded) away.

Repeat.

Is my understanding.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Great I am away on holiday so will be missing this as well as the Aberdeen game!

Well if we beat Hamilton, Inverness and Aberdeen, it will be interesting to see what Robbie does with team selection as we will be playing Celtic that weekend.

Same. Away to Tenerife on the 16th Sept :sob:

The Treasurer

Why the ?&@? is the draw seeded!!

Another thing that needs expelled from football altogether!

Exactly.

The English LC is unseeded and has pulled out some cracking ties.

Spurs v Arsenal, Villa v Birmingham, Leicester v West Ham

Generates a bit more interest in the earlier rounds and also give a chance of smaller clubs progressing if they got a decent draw.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We play this game in between Aberdeen and Celtic league matches so drawing either is not a fantastic situation. Robbie is going to have to make some tough calls whoever we play. Away to Ross County or Inverness would also be appalling preparation. Could use some luck here or play the young boys again

Home tie and we have a great chance. All are hard away days in a cup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given its sandwiched between two very important league fixtures, it has to be Killie at home for me.

Given its sandwiched between two very important league fixtures, it has to be Killie at home for me.

Agreed.

Although gubbing Aberdeen twice at Tynecastle within a few days would be most pleasing. Ditto for Celtic away......

Archived