Ipswich Targeting McGhee?

Homme

Can't see Berra returning to us because

1.He's too good currently, would have better options

2. Wages

Surprised that this seems to be the first hint of interest in one of our players this year tbh though. Thought Walker may have attracted attention if not Billy King.

We_are_the_Hearts

It would be a terrible decidion to sell. It is all about potential. Of course we never know who will fullfill their potential but he has the atributes and Hearts have managed his development well. Best young defender at Tynecastle since CL. Not for Sale - at this time/price.

I like him but he is not better than Alan McLaren....................

Dallas Green

Berra. Slow. :lol:

Berra was brilliant with us and has done well for himself.

I remember getting a leaflet through the door about 3D birth scans somewhere up here and it had a quote from Berra on it :lol:

Random and nothing to do about McGhee but talking about Berra reminded me :lol:

I do know he is young too but he has given away two very silly penalties, all comes with age I guess.

Ive been to Portman Road a few times the last couple of seasons. Berra has been excellent everytime. Ipswich fans that I spoke to rate him very, very highly.

Have you seen him much lately?

This.

I have a couple of mates in Ipswich, one of whom is a season ticket holder at PR.  After a fairly slow start, Berra has become a very popular player at Ipswich.  Berra is at a level that McGhee has yet to reach.  I have no doubts that McGhee can reach, and probably exceed, what Berra has done.  I can't see him leaving us any time soon unless we get an offer too good to refuse.

Berra. Slow. :lol:

Berra was brilliant with us and has done well for himself.

I remember getting a leaflet through the door about 3D birth scans somewhere up here and it had a quote from Berra on it :lol:

Random and nothing to do about McGhee but talking about Berra reminded me :lol:

I do know he is young too but he has given away two very silly penalties, all comes with age I guess.

Have you seen the silly penalties Berra has given away over his career?

Dallas Green

What's your point?

I never said McGhee is going to be shit.

I think he is going to be a really good player who nets us a good fee.

Like Berra.

hmfc_liam06

He's not though, he's a very good English championship defender, a massively overrated league.

An overrated league we'd toil in.

We_are_the_Hearts

An overrated league we'd toil in.

Without doubt.................teams like Leeds are struggling and their turnover is ?30m.........................

What's your point?

I never said McGhee is going to be shit.

I think he is going to be a really good player who nets us a good fee.

Like Berra.

Not difficult to work out I would have thought. Have a look at your last sentence re McGhee giving away two very silly penalties. Berra has given away silly penalties all his career, just saying.

The Apprentice

To be fair, and this is nothing against McGhee because he's still extremely young, the one he gave away against Falkirk last season was a shocker. One at Easter Road also springs to mind when he fouled Stevenson I think. I reckon the best thing for him is to stay with us for at least another 18 months, been impressed with him over pre-season.

Edit: just seen the McGhee incidents have been flagged already.

Dallas Green

Not difficult to work out I would have thought. Have a look at your last sentence re McGhee giving away two very silly penalties. Berra has given away silly penalties all his career, just saying.

Does that make him shite?

Does that make him shite?

I never said that. I just pointed out that Berra has given away penalties for years and you chose to highlight that McGhee  had given away two silly penalties. You seem to rate Berra very highly so that was why I brought this to your attention if you were not already aware of this.

No need to make a statement like that.

To be fair, and this is nothing against McGhee because he's still extremely young, the one he gave away against Falkirk last season was a shocker. One at Easter Road also springs to mind when he fouled Stevenson I think. I reckon the best thing for him is to stay with us for at least another 18 months, been impressed with him over pre-season.

Edit: just seen the McGhee incidents have been flagged already.

I remember the Falkirk one it was poor. I think part of the problem for him is lack of game time at this level. I also think he just lacks a little pace particularly when he has to turn back towards goal. He has time on his side though as he has just turned 19.

Dallas Green

I never said that. I just pointed out that Berra has given away penalties for years and you chose to highlight that McGhee had given away two silly penalties. You seem to rate Berra very highly so that was why I brought this to your attention if you were not already aware of this.

No need to make a statement like that.

The only reason I brought up McGhee's two were because they were challenges that did not need to be made and I hope this can be either be coached out of him or come with age.

It doesn't make me think any less of him at the moment. I also never mentioned any penalty Berra conceded as he isnt a Hearts player getting developed at the moment so it doesn't really matter to me.

2. Wages

Berra has said on a few occasions that he wants to end his career at hearts.

The only reason I brought up McGhee's two were because they were challenges that did not need to be made and I hope this can be either be coached out of him or come with age.

It doesn't make me think any less of him at the moment. I also never mentioned any penalty Berra conceded as he isnt a Hearts player getting developed at the moment so it doesn't really matter to me.

Ok fine but you did say Berra was brilliant for us (Hearts presumably) and a lot of the silly penalties he gave away as a Hearts player were needless too, that's why I brought it up.

I can remember cringing at some of his rugby tackles.

So has Gordon aswell

Tynecastle Valhalla

was his fault for all three falkirk goals in our home defeat last season

looks to lightweight

but................

he has ability and is a great prospect. badly needs first team football. loan please for 6 months

All roads lead to Gorgie

Not sure if that will happen with the direction the club is taking now in looking first and foremost at sell on value. Could happen with Gordon as good goalies are hard to find.

And I hope he does, but don't think at 30 he's quite there yet.

He's not though, he's a very good English championship defender, a massively overrated league.

:spoton:

Saw him play for Ipswich a few times last year, played really well, bottom 2/3 of that league are hard to watch though!

We_are_the_Hearts

looks to lightweight

but................

he has ability and is a great prospect. badly needs first team football. loan please for 6 months

Really could have sworn Gomis got mugged for the winning goal. Only one i rmbr hin being at faukt for was the pen

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Championship can be a strong league but some drivel in there too including Leeds turning over 30 million, it's a different market.

Winston Ingram

2. Wages

Surprised that this seems to be the first hint of interest in one of our players this year tbh though. Thought Walker may have attracted attention if not Billy King.

Think the league we were playing in last season explains your final point. Clubs in England struggle at times to take the top flight seriously, let alone the Championship. A good six months in the top league and interest will intensify. 

Maybe something in this McGhee business. Would explain why we signed another centre back. That said, he held off signing a new contract for long enough and no club (let alone Ipswich) came in for him then. Why now, when he hasn't played more but would cost extra? 

Except the 3rd goal was due to Gomis.

Think the league we were playing in last season explains your final point. Clubs in England struggle at times to take the top flight seriously, let alone the Championship. A good six months in the top league and interest will intensify. 

Maybe something in this McGhee business. Would explain why we signed another centre back. That said, he held off signing a new contract for long enough and no club (let alone Ipswich) came in for him then. Why now, when he hasn't played more but would cost extra? 

And for good measure did Paterson not get a wee run at CB against Everton?

And for good measure did Paterson not get a wee run at CB against Everton?

He did briefly at the end but only really to allow the last few subs a game I think.

Tokyo Drifter

Hope you're right about his potential. Spent two seasons now wondering why he ever gets a run out. Apart from that goal against Aberdeen I've never been impressed by him. Can't see why we let McKay go and keep him. My heart sinks every time I see him in a Hearts shirt. But others who know more than me do set great store by him, so I can only assume the potential is there.

Malcolm Tucker

Hope you're right about his potential. Spent two seasons now wondering why he ever gets a run out. Apart from that goal against Aberdeen I've never been impressed by him. Can't see why we let McKay go and keep him. My heart sinks every time I see him in a Hearts shirt. But others who know more than me do set great store by him, so I can only assume the potential is there.

This.... this is a joke, eh?

Surely?

Nookie Bear

They sold a similar age player Tyrone Mings who played only 57 games for them for ?8 million earlier this summer so there should be no shame in asking for ?2 million or more plus add ons.

Prices are on the up and up in England and if he was playing there no one would bat an eye lid at that kind of fee.

Mind you many of their fans are under the impression he is a right back not a central defender.

Or West Brom offering ?8m for James Chester. No, me neither.

I saw that Tyrone Mings on the tv last season - in the cup against Sothampton, I think - and the commentators were saying he was a real prospect but to me he looked awkward and a little bit lost, positionally. He did have that all important EPL attribute: tall and athletic so he can command ?8m

kylelauren01

It would be a terrible decidion to sell. It is all about potential. Of course we never know who will fullfill their potential but he has the atributes and Hearts have managed his development well. Best young defender at Tynecastle since CL. Not for Sale - at this time/price.

At the same age Alan McLaren was better than McGhee is now so dispute the "best since Levein" quote...

Unknown user

So did Antti Niemi, doesn't mean I'll hang my hat on it

Clough's transfer rule was if a club offers you more for a player than you think they're worth, take it regardless.

Never know!

At the same age Alan McLaren was better than McGhee is now so dispute the "best since Levein" quote...

Paul Ritchie was also better than McGhee at this age.

I think McGhee is in the Alan McManus bracket at the moment. Might be really good or might just end up your typical Scottish centre half journey man. Time will tell.

We_are_the_Hearts

Where has berra said he would like to end his career with us ?

Links please :)

Don't think you can create a link to someone's head.............

Malcolm Tucker

Don't think you can create a link to someone's head.............

Didn't say he wanted to end his career here, however he did say he wouldn't rule it out.

After that, would a return to Hearts, whom he left in 2009, be a possibility? ?I?ve never said I wouldn?t go back to Hearts. I?d never say never on anything, and maybe later in my career, you never know.?

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/christophe-berra-intent-on-scaling-new-heights-1-3459076

But even from Celtic or from teams outwith the UK. Given the margin we won the league by surely we must have attracted some interest. Not that I mind, would prefer players to stay.

Does anyone have a link for the original Sun article that this is supposed to be based on as I never seen it and cant find a trace of it ?

Archived