Levein's Ambition

Daveandal

There has been alot of sensible talk about the kind of clubs there are in the world and the model Hearts are putting in place. I think it's also fair to say 99.99% of us are fully behind the Levein / Budge model.

But how far does Craig think we can go as a club? I have a feeling he thinks we can win the league under this model and only by doing that will he feel his reputation will be restored after his time as Scotland manager.

Am I getting carried away or are there others who believe that the ultimate goal is to win the league in medium to long term?

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, your not getting carried away.

I also get the impression that Levein thinks we can be serious contenders ovee the next few years.

Maroon Sailor

As the 3rd best supported club in Scotland we should be aiming to win the league.

In saying that we still need to balance the books and get a squad capable of sustaining a challenge.

Also need a bit of luck along the way.

Back to 2005

Totally behind Levein and what he's trying to achieve. Don't think we will be too far behind Celtic this year if we are not hit too heard by injuries and yes the ultimate goal is the league. Why not?

I don't think CL has an axe to grind with the Sfa, or put it this way, I hope he keeps his feeling for his former employers seperate from his job at hand, I would rather he concentrated in getting the long term strategy for our club well and truly in place, then, and only then can we think about a tilt at the title.

There has been alot of sensible talk about the kind of clubs there are in the world and the model Hearts are putting in place. I think it's also fair to say 99.99% of us are fully behind the Levein / Budge model.

But how far does Craig think we can go as a club? I have a feeling he thinks we can win the league under this model and only by doing that will he feel his reputation will be restored after his time as Scotland manager.

Am I getting carried away or are there others who believe that the ultimate goal is to win the league in medium to long term?

If he doesn't think we are capable of building the club back to the days when we were capable of winning the league then he is the wrong man for the job.

Whether we are ever able to achieve it is another matter but believing is more important because that rubs off on the players and coaching staff. No point in thinking that we are always going to be the bridesmaid.

We want a winning mentality and a belief in all involved that we can do it. That is the way to attract better players to the club and win things.

I doubt we can win the league by scouting and signing players. We could do it by a combination of signing some players and having a really good group of home developed players all maturing at the optimum time. To that extent, Levein and Neilson can only work with the hand they're dealt. The current hand probably isn't hot enough to win the league. Yet.

If he doesn't think we are capable of building the club back to the days when we were capable of winning the league then he is the wrong man for the job.

Whether we are ever able to achieve it is another matter but believing is more important because that rubs off on the players and coaching staff. No point in thinking that we are always going to be the bridesmaid.

We want a winning mentality and a belief in all involved that we can do it. That is the way to attract better players to the club and win things.

Correct. There is no point even bothering, if you go in win the attitude that you can't or won't win.

I've said a few times that I believe Levein wants the league. We are a harder working club than I've ever seen. It's all geared towards one direction and that is the top of the table.

Normally I would call it fantasy, Even when Vlad came in I didn't believe we would be challenging for the league with rangers and Celtic spending against each other. 2006 made me think perhaps it could be done but that ended pretty quickly.

This is a totally different thing though. The clubs owned by smart people with fresh ideas and a hunger to get the club going places. We have the pledge money flowing in and season ticket sales are over 13k.

Whole new philosophy on the pitch and training ground. Young players stepping up and a scouting network actively seeking out players that could have us punching way above our weight as a newly promoted side that's been through hell recently.

Who knows how next season will go but the way everything is falling into place you can't help but feel that optimism that this might actually happen.

Finlay James

I've no doubt that is the aim and can see it being achieved within 10 years. The competition is Celtic so we have a very realistic chance of winning the league within 1-2 years never mind anything else. If it were a huge club I'd say we have no chance.

Getting the youth and coaching structure correct is the key and CL is already well on to this.

I doubt we can win the league by scouting and signing players. We could do it by a combination of signing some players and having a really good group of home developed players all maturing at the optimum time. To that extent, Levein and Neilson can only work with the hand they're dealt. The current hand probably isn't hot enough to win the league. Yet.

This is where i am. I do think in time we will make it, 

So happy with the positive nature of this thread. When Levein was manager he never believed Hearts could win the league. I'm sure he stated after he left that a cup win would be the limit to what he could achieve here......how times have changed. The plan is to eventually win the league, of that I have no doubt. If it happens is another question.

I don't think he will let a personal grudge with the SFA get in the way of his work with Hearts but I will allow him to have a wee chuckle to himself in regards to the SFA, Press and some professional footballers if we do achieve the holy grail.

If league reconstruction goes through with more teams in the league and less games against the ugly sisters then it can absolutely happen...leagues are won by not losing against other league contenders and consistently winning against all others...

kingantti1874

If league reconstruction goes through with more teams in the league and less games against the ugly sisters then it can absolutely happen...leagues are won by not losing against other league contenders and consistently winning against all others...

This. In an 18 team league if you show some consistency and beat the uglies once at home.. Your in with a shout..

The Old Tolbooth

The way I see it is this, if Aberdeen can push Celtic all the way to March last season before finally wilting, then I don't see why we can't build up to that and try to challenge a bit longer, maybe even to the end of the season with a bit luck. I don't think we'll be good enough next season as we'll take a bit of time to find our feet, and there's gaps to be bridged, but as the model builds up, you never know. Aberdeen were nothing special last season, and they pushed Celtic for the most part. 

Italian Lambretta

I really think we'll win the Treble next season go onto win the Champions League the following season and dominate European football for the next decade

Private Womble

I really think we'll win the Treble next season go onto win the Champions League the following season and dominate European football for the next decade

:lol: aye me too

The way I see it is this, if Aberdeen can push Celtic all the way to March last season before finally wilting, then I don't see why we can't build up to that and try to challenge a bit longer, maybe even to the end of the season with a bit luck. I don't think we'll be good enough next season as we'll take a bit of time to find our feet, and there's gaps to be bridged, but as the model builds up, you never know. Aberdeen were nothing special last season, and they pushed Celtic for the most part.

Exactly this. Realistic optimism, based on a frame of reference. Not people getting carried away as some seem to be myopically suggesting.

He is a sensible, intelligent man who took over a truly broken club. He has been around football and has a very good idea of what a football club should look like. He tried it with Scotland and got a bit to "billy big time" and kind of got carried away. He also suffered from the "Paul Le Guen" syndrome within the Scotland set up. It's very clear the SFA etc do not take kindly to criticism or advice from anyone, Craig felt the brunt of that. Now he's at Hearts with an owner who has given him 100% control, he has a young manager working with him who wants to study the game. Both can see that the game in Britain is light years behind the big leagues in terms of developing young talent. I don't think he harbours any dreams to win the league, I think he knows that by setting the football club up properly, that in turn, will bring success. It's pleasing to have a very modern football club within such a backwards country.

Kilmarnock are a good yard stick for how far our club has come. Gary Locke, bringing in all the old duds who finished 20+ points behind us last year, is a manager trained in the old school. There is nothing wrong with it but IMO that old style mould just breeds players to think that finishing 2nd/3rd to the old firm is acceptable. Signing for the old firm is the best they can hope for and that winds me up. Gary is a nice guy, a true hearts legend, but he will go no where in management other than Scotland as he doesn't have the tools to go any further. Robbie on the other hand will be very sought after, his methods are all ready attracting interest.

Positive days, really happy the club as a whole right now. The club and its future are in very safe hands.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think that is his ultimate ambition, whether or not he achieves it is another matter. I think we are the only non-OF club who has even periodically looked capable of doing it now and again. We probably have the most resources, but strength in depth is a luxury of clubs the size of Celtic, where internationals are happy not to play every week, we struggle to convince players like Jason Holt to sit on the bench.

buzzbomb1958

If you look at the model Cl put in place at Dundee United with their shitty support given time I think there could be good times ahead,we already have the nucleus of a management system which no doubt is envied by old and new clubs in Scotland (sorry couldn't resist a dig)anyway I digress,I for one am exited about where we are going our future is in safe hands hhgh

I don't think anyone really thinks we'll win the league this year and it's certainly possible it will never happen. What is different this time is I believe Levein thinks if we stick to the model it could happen......in other words its not impossible and 3rd and a Scottish Cup win should not be seen as the maximum Hearts can achieve.

Anyone who doesn't think this isn't a PHM to be honest.

The problem will always be in a selling club model that when an acceptable bid comes in, the timing from a football perspective may be highly inconvenient. Garry Mackay-Steven and Stuart Armstrong being case and point.

Regular John

This thread is bloody nuts.

The medium to long term goal of the club is stability

I think Budge and co have made that clear. Chasing rainbows is what almost killed us.

Maroon Sailor

I don't think anyone really thinks we'll win the league this year and it's certainly possible it will never happen. What is different this time is I believe Levein thinks if we stick to the model it could happen......in other words its not impossible and 3rd and a Scottish Cup win should not be seen as the maximum Hearts can achieve.

I believe we can win the league this year

Strike while the irons hot

It's a shame we don't have the two champions league places anymore. With Rangers out of the picture a bit of luck in qualifying could have seen ourselves or other rake in a bit of cash that might have helped make the league more competitive

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think Budge and co have made that clear. Chasing rainbows is what almost killed us.

If it's done within budget, how could it kill us? Ambition is a good thing, overspending to try and achieve it is not.

Super_Hans

Celtic can no longer spend over ?3m on a player. They're in the ?500k-?2m market nowadays so for that reason I believe the gap will get closer. Stability and a few good signings one pre-season may see us have a challenge within five years. League reconstruction where we only play them twice would also help.

Turkishcap

Getting to where ICT and Aberdeen are should be our target.

What.....a move to the north of Scotland....now that will affect the crowds ;)

Sorry couldny resist it.

fabienleclerq

Who's chasing rainbows?

As far as I can see people are saying if we keep on budget, play the right way and aim high then why not?

Why not? It's not exactly walking on water type fantasy to think that with hard work, good investment in the right people that we might be able to one year win more football games than anyone else in scotland.

With your attitude we never will.

Gorgieshed

Getting to where ICT and Aberdeen are should be our target.

Talk about aiming high!

However I get what you mean and agree. Got to be more realistic and we should be happy with a top 6 finish.

We have a nice squad and some good players but I think most over rate how good we are based on last season. It will be interesting to see how this place reacts when we go 4/5 games without a win!

CollyWolly

There is still an almighty gap between Celtic and the rest, despite the mythical 'challenge' and flattery to deceive that we saw from Aberdeen last season it was half hearted and no one believed for a minute they would win the title. So we have to catch and handsomely overtake Aberdeen first before we can put the title in our sights.

I do think Levein has the title at the top of the target list. We won't go terribly close next season but we can certainly catch up with Aberdeen in terms of the ability to challenge in future seasons, if we push on and Celtic come ever further back to the pack. Celtic coming back to the pack a bit more is essential for us to win it in Levein's time IMO. Top six is a realistic target next season but it would be good at the same time to really put a marker down and slap Celtic right on the puss with a gauntlet. Simply not capitulating when we play them would be a good start down the long road.

The psychology of matching them game for game over a long period beating them, frightening them and being mentally strong enough to hold them off and boss them and have them actually scared of us is the biggest hurdle. A hurdle Levein has never been particularly good at to date but I feel he might have a bit more steel about him these days. We would all need it to win the league.

Think folk are getting a wee bit carried away tbh

Perhaps but it is harmless.

Unlike the folk who want us to go back into millions of pounds of debt to finance a stadium that will seldom be full.

Our league campaign will take care of itself we have a budget and will stick to it.

I am more worried about a few years down the line with fan ownership. We have to have sensible people in charge able to stand up to the people who wish to drag us back into debt. Some of the posts on the Stadium subject are sheer fantasy.

rudi must stay

There is still an almighty gap between Celtic and the rest, despite the mythical 'challenge' and flattery to deceive that we saw from Aberdeen last season it was half hearted and no one believed for a minute they would win the title. So we have to catch and handsomely overtake Aberdeen first before we can put the title in our sights.

I do think Levein has the title at the top of the target list. We won't go terribly close next season but we can certainly catch up with Aberdeen in terms of the ability to challenge in future seasons, if we push on and Celtic come ever further back to the pack. Celtic coming back to the pack a bit more is essential for us to win it in Levein's time IMO. Top six is a realistic target next season but it would be good at the same time to really put a marker down and slap Celtic right on the puss with a gauntlet. Simply not capitulating when we play them would be a good start down the long road.

The psychology of matching them game for game over a long period beating them, frightening them and being mentally strong enough to hold them off and boss them and have them actually scared of us is the biggest hurdle. A hurdle Levein has never been particularly good at to date but I feel he might have a bit more steel about him these days. We would all need it to win the league.

Levein is getting too much credit at the moment, Neilson is the manager, and i've seen enough of him to suggest he has the personality and ability to challenge Ronnie Deila

I don't think anyone is getting too carried away. No one wants the club to spend millions on players to achieve 3rd but also bankrupt the club and no one wants to see us build a white elephant. However I believe that Levein believes that within our current structure a league winning season is possible at some point. I also believe at some point we have to expand the stadium to allow the club to grow. But it all has to be within our means.

There is nothing wrong with having ambition and wanting to do better.

CollyWolly

Levein is getting too much credit at the moment, Neilson is the manager, and i've seen enough of him to suggest he has the personality and ability to challenge Ronnie Deila

Neilson is the first team coach, and doing a splendid job I might add. Big season for him coming up obviously.

But let's make no mistake, the shaping of the club and the model to be followed and the future of the football department as a whole are completely in the hands of and under the sole direction of Craig Levein, doing a superb job so far, and supported by Ann Budge and ultimately answerable to her of course.

alicante jambo

I like levein.Hes a clever guy done well with us before and at utd.He sets his teams up to be hard to beat.I think if we get league reconstruction playing eachother twice we will be in with a shout maybe not this season but soon.

I have to disagree with you their i personally think Levein is pulling the strings, making the signing and helping neilson with the tactics. I beleive neilson makes the suggestions and levein gives him the yes or no.

If we ever got close to winning the league then Celtic would just double their spending to make sure that didn't happen.

If we ever got close to winning the league then Celtic would just double their spending to make sure that didn't happen.

Spot on and probably try to buy whoever is doing well for us to!

Spot on and probably try to buy whoever is doing well for us to!

Archived