Osman Sow Fit and Ready

Bauld

gashauskis9

I'm going out on a limb here - on his day he could be the best striker in the league. On form and fit, he's unplayable.

Toxteth O'Grady

I hope he doesn't drift out wide as much as he did in the 2nd half of last season when Zeefuik was playing

I hope he doesn't drift out wide as much as he did in the 2nd half of last season when Zeefuik was playing

That was under instruction.

Diadora Van Basten

Works best when left with a lot of room such as the 1 in a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Perfect striker for playing on the counter attack.

The downside is his explosive acceleration leaves him vulnerable to ham string injuries like Carrick.

Jambof3tornado

I think defenders will know he may be prone to a niggle and will look to knock lumps out of him. Its the scottish way against talented players!!

the big show

The last game against Falkirk he was virtually unplayable and was outstanding from start to finish if he can bring that kind of form to the team more regular then sky's the limit for him and the team .

Toxteth O'Grady

That was under instruction.

It probably was but he is most effective through the middle IMO

Teuchterjambo

Didn't have much option on that one ... all available space in the central area was taken up :uhoh2:

I think defenders will know he may be prone to a niggle and will look to knock lumps out of him. Its the scottish way against talented players!!

Hopefully Augustine, Juanma and Oz will be able to do a bit more enforcing for us this year. Gomis had to do too much of that this year and took too many cards as a result.

I'm going out on a limb here - on his day he could be the best striker in the league. On form and fit, he's unplayable.

If we look back at the league cup loss v Celtic, we saw the level of which he brings when fully fit(pen miss aside!).

Good with his back to goal and can draw defenders in and turn them, his running worries them too and they can`t afford to let him turn, we`ve also witnessed moments of brilliant skill.

The key as ever is for him to stay fit and really get into a rhythm, and another key element is he can definitely finish!  He`s basically a forward with a bit of everything and its not often we acquire those type.

Osman Sow is only Osman Sow through the middle, IMO. He's wasted out wide. Desperate for him to stay fit for an extended period and absolutely pish this league.

Osman Sow is only Osman Sow through the middle, IMO. He's wasted out wide. Desperate for him to stay fit for an extended period and absolutely pish this league.

Absolutely no doubt imo. 

I hope RN was`nt just trying accomodate players last season as he stuck with Zeefuik but put Sow wide when he returned or maybe just an experiment?

Sow can work the wide areas from the centre as he showed at Ibrox. Spinning off defenders into slightly wider channels is what hes good at, not as a starting point.

CollyWolly

Some extravagant claims about a player who hasn't ever played at the level he'll be playing at next season.

Best striker in the league etc etc.

If he gets into double figures I will be pleasantly surprised. Any more than that is not something he has YET proven he is capable of.

Absolutely no doubt imo.

I hope RN was`nt just trying accomodate players last season as he stuck with Zeefuik but put Sow wide when he returned or maybe just an experiment?

Sow can work the wide areas from the centre as he showed at Ibrox. Spinning off defenders into slightly wider channels is what hes good at, not as a starting point.

I always got the feeling Sow was stuck wide to accommodate Zeefuik, despite Sow being a better striker at his best than Zee was at his, if that makes sense.

While we've got other, different options now, Sow through the middle is the first piece in our strongest attacking set-up.

It still feels like a luxury having options :laugh:

fabienleclerq

Some extravagant claims about a player who hasn't ever played at the level he'll be playing at next season.

Best striker in the league etc etc.

If he gets into double figures I will be pleasantly surprised. Any more than that is not something he has YET proven he is capable of.

You clearly didn't watch much of him if you don't think when fit he'll hit less than ten in the spfl.

Perhaps it was part of sows training.

Some have touched on his hamstring injuries being down to his running. Maybe robbie has been working with him to change his running style to help avoid him breaking down. Sometimes altering your style can help avoid these injuries and putting him wide left would allow him to practice running on and off the ball in a game environment and getting used to the different style.

With Zeefuik doing what he does best we would have been able to do that without feeling the loss of Sows goals and for the most part the season was over anyway.

Some have touched on his hamstring injuries being down to his running. Maybe robbie has been working with him to change his running style to help avoid him breaking down. Sometimes altering your style can help avoid these injuries and putting him wide left would allow him to practice running on and off the ball in a game environment and getting used to the different style.

With Zeefuik doing what he does best we would have been able to do that without feeling the loss of Sows goals and for the most part the season was over anyway.

Good point.

CollyWolly

I always got the feeling Sow was stuck wide to accommodate Zeefuik, despite Sow being a better striker at his best than Zee was at his, if that makes sense.

While we've got other, different options now, Sow through the middle is the first piece in our strongest attacking set-up.

It still feels like a luxury having options :laugh:

If we are planning on playing Juanma and Sow at the same time then you can see it being Juanma through the middle,with Sow running wide off him. Juanma can also drift wide, his video suggests. Having a front 4 who can pull people all over the place and no one stays static in the same position, is a great weapon to have. So you"ll see Walker, Reilly and King being the furthest forward centrally quite a lot I would think, running into the spaces.

CollyWolly

You clearly didn't watch much of him if you don't think when fit he'll hit less than ten in the spfl.

You clearly have an opinion that is more valid than my opinion (although your post suggests your a bit wanting in the sentence building department)

Apart from last season with us when he scored 11 from 22 games, he has only reached double figures once and that was in lower league Sweden several years ago. He has never played at SPFL level. There is therefore no surety that he can score double figures at that level

Not having a go at anyone, but am I alone in not getting 'unplayable'? Sounds like something you'd say about someone with a broken leg. Any chance of changing it to unplayagainstable?

Diadora Van Basten

I think he needs to change his style at the moment it's like flooring your car in 1st without changing gear.

Looking forward to seeing how we shape up with Sow and Juanma up front. Really exciting times.

Not forgetting Reilly of course, who I think will make a major impact fir us over the next two years.

In fairness to him, he was deployed a completely different way in the 2nd half of the season.

A way that wasn't set up for him to score as many goals, but he was still an influential player.

I guess that's even better in a way. We all want a striker who scores for fun but a striker who has even more in his locker is even better.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Sow struggled against that big Nelson galoot at Hibs. Nelson man-marked him, held him up and applied arm-bars/ half nelsons on him when we played Hibs. I think Sow is better when running at defenders. Despite his size and physique, I don't think he's as effective a target man. Zeefuik played better as a back to the goals cf and you would expect this was Neilsons thinking when he pushed Sow out wide on his return. Juanma looks like being more in the Zeefuik mould than the Sow mould, so I'd guess at Sow either partnering him in a two man attack, or a three pronged attack where Sow and someone else (Reilly, Walker, Sam, Billy?) Would play wide of Juanma on either side.

Nelson already said it will be horses for courses though, so he's obviously looking for a variety of players who can play different systems at different times.

ChunkyCharlie

You clearly have an opinion that is more valid than my opinion (although your post suggests your a bit wanting in the sentence building department)

Apart from last season with us when he scored 11 from 22 games, he has only reached double figures once and that was in lower league Sweden several years ago. He has never played at SPFL level. There is therefore no surety that he can score double figures at that level

Somebody who is realistic!!!!!

:spoton:

Cast No Shadow

He has played in the SPFL.

Bert Le Clos

I don't think anyone believes he's going to tear it up in every game, single-handedly dominate back fours and finish with 35 goals.

What most posters are saying is that on his day, he looks to be a very good player with all the attributes needed to do well.

If he can stay fit, the team do well and Neilson gets his tactics right, I think he could score 15+ goals in the league. There's a lot of "ifs" in that sentence but I think he has the ability to do it. I certainly won't be writing him off based on last season and his career to date.

Michael Higdon, John Sutton and Jon Daly are all examples of players who's record before moving to Scotland was bang average and all got a fair few goals. Admittedly I've only watched Sow playing at a lower level than I saw them but he looks a better all round player to me.

I don't think anyone believes he's going to tear it up in every game, single-handedly dominate back fours and finish with 35 goals.

What most posters are saying is that on his day, he looks to be a very good player with all the attributes needed to do well.

If he can stay fit, the team do well and Neilson gets his tactics right, I think he could score 15+ goals in the league. There's a lot of "ifs" in that sentence but I think he has the ability to do it. I certainly won't be writing him off based on last season and his career to date.

Michael Higdon, John Sutton and Jon Daly are all examples of players who's record before moving to Scotland was bang average and all got a fair few goals. Admittedly I've only watched Sow playing at a lower level than I saw them but he looks a better all round player to me.

correct.

Archived