Carrick & Gallagher looking for new clubs

Finlay James

Finlay James

According to the Scotsman.

I'm not shocked by this and understand their position. I'll be disappointed to lose Carrick, always thought he looked very talented.

Jambof3tornado

I cant fathom why we fail to produce outstanding strikers? Are we too impatient with them?

tartofmidlothian

:jjno:

Not Carrick!

Moves Hamilton one step closer to the first team though, I presume he's our second choice now.

When you look at the rest of the squad I'd have to say these guys are not up to the quality of the rest,maybe use there wages to bring in another quality player.

williamgerrard

the way our squad is shapping up we are looking to challange for top 3

Hamilton bordering on first choice for me so not surprised anyone between him and that position wants a move. Carrick needs to think it through though, cant blame Hearts for wanting to see if he can get through a season (or half season) at a lower level without serious injury before setting him up as one of our key strikers. Many a player have had to drop a level to continue playing as carrying on at a higher level would have totally finished them, Hearts are giving him a chance.

Neilson's Shank

Personally like Carrick but if he does go then it is the tagline stepping up in action, we are stepping up in quality.

Pans Jambo

Has the club actually came out & said they are being released?

From a selfish Hearts point of view I'd loan Carrick out until January and see how he gets on...from his point of view he may get a 2 year deal or more and it may be selfish on our part to deny him that.

Gallagher has I think recognised the signs that Hamilton is being prepared as the next 1st choice for goalkeeper

It is however a good thing in some ways as it shows the standards are being raised and that the manager and DOF are prepared to make the hard decisions that brings .

It does mean though that there will be a better chance of one of those coming back to haunt us

penicuik jambo

Only a couple of months ago Robbie was saying he had a big future still with us, Oliver obviously rated a better prospect.

If Carrick's going we need a new striker btw.

El Hass

Reilly

Sow

Juanma

Really??

Finlay James

From a selfish Hearts point of view I'd loan Carrick out until January and see how he gets on...from his point of view he may get a 2 year deal or more and it may be selfish on our part to deny him that.

Gallagher has I think recognised the signs that Hamilton is being prepared as the next 1st choice for goalkeeper

It is however a good thing in some ways as it shows the standards are being raised and that the manager and DOF are prepared to make the hard decisions that brings .

It does mean though that there will be a better chance of one of those coming back to haunt us

Agreed.

RN & CL are showing that their is no longer an old pals act and they are being honest with the players. Carrick will become a decent striker but I'm not sure it will be above SPL level. Personally, I'd sent him out on loan until January and see how he gets on before making any decision.

tartofmidlothian

El Hass

Reilly

Sow

Juanma

Really??

The is El Hass a striker debate rolls on.

boabyarsebiscuit

Will we need another keeper now?

We have been tracking a keeper all summer. I'm assuming that it's not working out as I heard Gallagher was part of the package to get the new boy. I'm not saying who it is, but I did hint at it on a completely separate thread a month or so back.

Robbie making tough decisions but has this one spot on

This.

No point keeping a player who will spend half the season or more injured.

To be fair until the end of the relegation season that's the only time Carrick has really impressed me also only is only decent run of goal scoring form. In saying that would like to have seen him sent out on loan for 6 months.

Maybe Robbie feels he's too injury prone and I'm sure I've read on here before that he was prone to a few injuries through youth level as well.

Shame re Carrick if true.

May well have been different but injuries have hampered him.

Got qualities holding ball up and bringing others into play,qualities Neilson has sought in the likes of Zeeifuk/Juanma type player.

Hope he goes on to make the most of his potential,the lads worked really hard on his game.

tartofmidlothian

To be fair until the end of the relegation season that's the only time Carrick has really impressed me also only is only decent run of goal scoring form. In saying that would like to have seen him sent out on loan for 6 months.

Maybe Robbie feels he's too injury prone and I'm sure I've read on here before that he was prone to a few injuries through youth level as well.

Me too, although he was badly used as a winger before that and hardly featured last season. Still managed a couple of goals though.

I agree, I'd like to see him on loan.

plastic_bas

He is not an out and out striker but I'd be very surprised if we lined up with 2 strikers and El Hass. No matter where he positions himself he will always play as one of two positions higher up the pitch.

King prawn

Was it elbows who caused carrick's latest injury ?

Or are his injuries all stemming from the same problem?

johnking123

Wish them all the best. It will free up some cash for another player possible. 

Can only assume, as others have suggested, that Carrick's injuries may be the problem, if, indeed, there's any truth in the story.  I like Carrick and thought he was an exciting prospect.  But the recurrence of the injury when on loan at Raith did set alarm bells ringing.

El Hass isn't a striker.

What do you think he is then because he's certainly not a midfielder.

Gigolo-Aunt

If true the correct decision.

Obvious injury problems apart, I think the club are heading in to a different direction now and Carrick does not have the quality to come with us.

I actually heard last week that this was on the cards so there may be some truth to this story - QOTS was the club that I heard was in for him - about his level I reckon

I see him as an attacking midfielder i suppose.

Terry Tate

El Hass isn't a striker.

Agreed, but the club have obviously made the decision that Oliver and Roy have more potential than Carrick at this stage in their respective careers. It's a real shame for Carrick as injuries struck at the worst time, never gave less than 100% and scored that goal against the hibs, and gave that smirk. Good luck to both him and Gallagher.

Surprised we're letting Carrick go, he's the only striker we have with any pace.

El Hass

Reilly

Sow

Juanma

Really??

And Gary Oliver. No need for another striker, will need another keeper though.

FarmerTweedy

It was also his only decent run of appearances!

I think he's got the ability, injuries are the only concern for me. I'd be surprised if we just let him go rather than put him out on loan, but it does depend at least to some extent on how they rate the other younger players coming through.

El Hass isn't a striker.[/quote

lots of talk about needing a new 'striker'

How is that defined? What is a striker and has model football changed it. Take it Wayne Rooney and Ronaldo aren't strkers then

Carrick is more similar to El Hass than different in running outside box

btw El Hass says he is a penalty box player on interview posted here last year

How many of you had Carrick in your starting XI for the coming season ?

hmfc_liam06

Surprised we're letting Carrick go, he's the only striker we have with any pace.

Sow can shift.

Is Carrick even that quick? Can't say I've noticed his pace.

hmfc_liam06

How many of you had Carrick in your starting XI for the coming season ?

Wouldn't have even made the bench on most.

johnking123

Did you watch Sow last season

Dr. Bapswent

But wait, he will have a 'good pre season under his belt' so who know the giddy heights he could achieve.

FarmerTweedy

He's an attacking player, would expect to see him play mainly in behind a main striker, pushing up alongside the striker or dropping into midfield as the game dictates. He's neither an out and out midfielder or striker.

Rick James

Not surprised to see Gallagher go at all. I am surprised at Carrick however.

Hope it's not true as he was a big player for us towards the 2nd half of the relegation season.

Real shame that he barely kicked a ball last season too.

Given Carrick has a year left on his contract, would it not be more sensible to retain him and let him go on loan for the season? If he's successful we can offer him a new contract which would at least get us a development fee. His wages will be low and he's a player who was really starting to improve before the injuries.

FarmerTweedy

Agreed, but the club have obviously made the decision that Oliver and Roy have more potential than Carrick at this stage in their respective careers. It's a real shame for Carrick as injuries struck at the worst time, never gave less than 100% and scored that goal against the hibs, and gave that smirk. Good luck to both him and Gallagher.

Agree with all of this. I'd imagine if Oliver and Roy weren't rated, Carrick would be more likely to be kept on. They may feel that keeping Carrick would reduce the opportunities for Oliver and Roy and risk holding back their development.

Joe Hearts

Just this.

Our improvement in form during the relegation season coincided with Carrick playing regularly.  His ability to run the channels and threaten with pace kept defenses honest - they can't press us too high.

I thought we missed a player like him last season at times - ie Hibs playing a back 3 would have struggled against him.

Very much hope this is wrong re Carrick.

Archived