St Mirren about to clone FOH model

CJGJ

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/news-archives/off-the-park-news/2073-smisa-gordon-scott-working-on-bid-for-saints

The SMiSA/Scott plans crucially involve the provision of up front funding by Gordon Scott which would remove the sustainability doubts that caused the previous fans bid under 10000 Hours to fail.

The structure of the plan appears to be that Gordon Scott would effectively buy the majority shareholding (with SMiSA also contributing to the initial purchase), and becoming chairman along with supporter representation on the board. SMiSA would then work to raise sufficient funds to eventually buy the shareholding from Scott, having had plenty of time to understand the complex mechanics of running a modern football club.

It all makes for an interesting and exciting development but the huge caveat to this of course will be the ability of Scott & SMiSA to agree a reasonable price with the selling consortium.

First they clone themselves as celtic, then us. Can they not come up with their own idea?

Jambof3tornado

Hope they disappear into oblivion

I really wouldn't care if this happened.

The shop thing was the final straw. Talk about bending over and getting a dry ride!

The Old Tolbooth

Horrible, vile, meaningless club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another test for model of fan ownership

outside real crisis eg Hearts do the fans actually want it?

Son Of Anarchy

I love the fact that we are seen as the template for clubs to copy and move forward but I actually couldn't care less if st liedown died tomorrow. Personal opinion but I really dislike that club.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

They have had the aura of a club circling the drain for a while now, this is probably make or break time.

Hope it works saints fans have rejected the old firm despite their proximity. Frank Mcgarvey etc though a different matter, don't let this cloud your judgment.

You need to have fans to replicate what Hearts have done. Hibs also missed this fundamental principle.

This. Would be no loss to the Scottish game.

The Old Tolbooth

You need to have fans to replicate what Hearts have done. Hibs also missed this fundamental principle.

Bang on the money mate!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well put

still some combination might work

still think its more about listening to fans and what they want while being realistic but also creative about finances to develop value and build community participation

St Mirren have been at war with their fans on and off for years

This for me.

FarmerTweedy

There's basically zero difference between FoH and what St Liedown could achieve. And by that I mean that FoH have around 8,000 people paying upwards of ?10 per month, and if you remove all the zeroes from that, you'll get what St Liedown are likely to achieve!

You would think this would be pretty much the first and most significant point to consider when contemplating such a scheme huh.

Both St Midden and Hibs need to be realistic about the reach of their fanbase and how much they'd be likely to commit to fan ownership - I suspect the answer in both case would be the same. Nowhere near enough to make it feasible on the scale it has been for us.

kingantti1874

It won't work because they have no fans, and the ones they do have I would imagine fall into the little free money camp...

Shitehouse of a club anyway, allowing Celtic to rebrand their shop tells you all you need to know, a club Scottish football could live without.

alicante jambo

Hope they disappear into oblivion

Well said pal.Scum of the earth that club

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Controversial one here... Does anyone think their antics in 86 led to any decent young Paisley born people of the time not wanting to follow them? Their terminal decline after those days would suggest a real apathy from their traditional supporter base, and the disrespectful comments of Celticy vermin like McGarvey, in his autobiography, must have left a bad taste in the mouth of some St Mirren family born kids who don't like bigoted and sectarian clubs like Celtic?

Hope so, and if so, can't see this latest move with the shop helping much.

:pleasing:

Hope it works saints fans have rejected the old firm despite their proximity. Frank Mcgarvey etc though a different matter, don't let this cloud your judgment.

A good point. I am prone to abuse that club due to 86 and all that, but we have to try and remember that their fans are supporting their local club, rather than follow the bigot brothers. Got a mate from when I worked in Glasgow that follows them and I bumped into him before and after the league cup final a couple of years ago and he was brand new; not a hint of gloating 

airdriejambo3

Are they not already taking their first tentative steps to becoming Celtic B

Guest Bilel Mohsni

A good point. I am prone to abuse that club due to 86 and all that, but we have to try and remember that their fans are supporting their local club, rather than follow the bigot brothers. Got a mate from when I worked in Glasgow that follows them and I bumped into him before and after the league cup final a couple of years ago and he was brand new; not a hint of gloating

Good points.

I had a wee look at their forum; "virtual west bank" the other day. I have to say though, there are a few posters on there who have Celticy leanings. There were a few who seemed like normal decent people too, but there are definitely some Celticy pricks who follow them too.

I could not muster any sympathy for them personally, mainly due to 86 and their current 'Tiny Tim' supporters. That's just me though. :thumbsup:

I think I can speak on this subject safe in the knowledge there won't be many on here who have more personal experience of St Mirren and their support.

Plenty guys of my acquaintance follow them and, to a man, detest the old firm...both sides of it.

Not having a go at anyone on here for any dislike they have of them....like a lot of clubs, HMFC and St Mirren have had their moments but I feel a lot of the animosity is unfounded..i.e. based on other agendas.

On topic, it's been a shambles down there for years and Gilmour has always been at the centre of it.

I'll say what I said when Motherwell fans raised the possibility of a fans' thingy....good luck, because, at the end of the day, it's the way forward as the money squeeze is on everywhere.

Francis Albert

I think I can speak on this subject safe in the knowledge there won't be many on here who have more personal experience of St Mirren and their support.

Plenty guys of my acquaintance follow them and, to a man, detest the old firm...both sides of it.

Not having a go at anyone on here for any dislike they have of them....like a lot of clubs, HMFC and St Mirren have had their moments but I feel a lot of the animosity is unfounded..i.e. based on other agendas.

On topic, it's been a shambles down there for years and Gilmour has always been at the centre of it.

I'll say what I said when Motherwell fans raised the possibility of a fans' thingy....good luck, because, at the end of the day, it's the way forward as the money squeeze is on everywhere.

Well said. The fact is if you live in Paisley it's a pretty short and cheap bus ride to either of the evil twins and I respect their fans for not being glory hunters.

eyesandears

Think you're right about Gilmour. Has it in for us big time and was one of the key guys behind the increase in penalty points deduction for clubs in admin trouble, Can't all sell our soles (oops) grounds to Tesco Stewart!

He's been cuddling up to the Old Firm for years and was it not recently there was some link between him and Charles Green when he was at Rangers that led to Gilmour threatning legal action etc etc against anyonethat suggested he was assisting Green?

Bazzas right boot

Hope it works for them and they keep Hibs and Rangers down, failing that hope it works just enough so they take pionts of Rangers and keep them down!

Bazzas right boot

Anyone from Hamilton/ Motherwell/ Partick, Paisley etc: that supports thier local team and not the OF, deserve a little bit of respect, very easy for anyone from these places to support the OF.

Many hold a grudge for 86, simple fact is wee ****ed it, a draw or a win and wouldn't have mattered if Celtic had won 100-0.

Bet you mates are not pleased with the new retail outlet opened in Paisley!

Bazzas right boot

Good points.

I had a wee look at their forum; "virtual west bank" the other day. I have to say though, there are a few posters on there who have Celticy leanings. There were a few who seemed like normal decent people too, but there are definitely some Celticy pricks who follow them too.

I could not muster any sympathy for them personally, mainly due to 86 and their current 'Tiny Tim' supporters. That's just me though. :thumbsup:

To be fair, if a neutral looked in here, they might feel there are "Rangers leanings" and class them as diet huns, huns without the bus fair etc:, we shouldn't be the same with other fans.

They might favour Celtic over Rangers, I don't know, if they do does it matter?

86' was our fault, we should never pass blame for that.

kingantti1874

I think I can speak on this subject safe in the knowledge there won't be many on here who have more personal experience of St Mirren and their support.

Not having a go at anyone on here for any dislike they have of them....like a lot of clubs, HMFC and St Mirren have had their moments but I feel a lot of the animosity is unfounded..i.e. based on other agendas.

They can never undo what they did.. **** them - **** them for the rest of time.. Pricks

Anyone from Hamilton/ Motherwell/ Partick, Paisley etc: that supports thier local team and not the OF, deserve a little bit of respect, very easy for anyone from these places to support the OF.

Many hold a grudge for 86, simple fact is wee ###### it, a draw or a win and wouldn't have mattered if Celtic had won 100-0.

Bet you mates are not pleased with the new retail outlet opened in Paisley!

It would have been removed before it was removed if you get the idea !

3fingersreid

To be fair, if a neutral looked in here, they might feel there are "Rangers leanings" and class them as diet huns, huns without the bus fair etc:, we shouldn't be the same with other fans.

They might favour Celtic over Rangers, I don't know, if they do does it matter?

86' was our fault, we should never pass blame for that.

Never heard anyone saying it wasn't our fault but what sticks in my craw is certain St mirren "PROFESSIONAL PLAYERS "celebrating with the Celtic players after taking a hammering !

This makes me ask if they even tried that day , certainly didn't show the same effort that Dundee did that day

**** them

jamboinglasgow

As I was born after 1986, I dont hold a grudge against them.

What I will say is fair play to any set of fans who want to try and own their club so they can feel a connection and keep its interest purely in the interests of the club and fans.

However I do wonder about fan ownership and making it successful. The FoH model is a good one where you get someone to put up the money to buy the club and fans pay the money back over the years. It gets the initial capital sorted and allows time to raise the necessary money. But key to that is having the fans buy into it. FoH has been very successful in getting fans on board and willing to put their money up monthly. Hibs on the other hand has had some fans putting money but not taking it on in the same way. Sadly I think a club needs to go through a financial crisis for fans to really engage, to get the shock of possible loss which makes them evaluate why their bond with the club and what it means to keep that club alive and having a stake in its future. It also needs to come with new ownership and a figurehead who the fans know whatever money they pump in will be used to the best means. I just dont think there is that same groundswell at St Mirren at the moment, though if they learn lessons from how FoH changed to win over fans they may have some success.

Spellczech

I don't have anything against their fans. The easy option for people living in Paisley is to jump on the M8 and go glory hunt at one or other of the OF. Having Beeb born in Fairmilehead then gone to school on south side of Glasgow I respect anyone who does not support either the old or "new" firm (I was at school in the 80s and there were a fair few gloryhunting Aberdeen and United fans too). Not easy being the only Jambo kid in school in the early 80s...

FarmerTweedy

Good points.

If any St Liedown fans came on here, they'd probably have similar thoughts about our Sevco sympathisers!

I have do real gripe with them. 86 was a capitulation of our own creation. Win or draw at Dens and they could've lost 20-0 to Celtic and it wouldn't have mattered.

League Cup Final in 2013 does rile me to this day however. That was the day the Bonnyrigg Mourinho was born as a highly proficient coach.

We might have failed in 86 but St Mirren made damned sure that if we did slip up, Celtic would win the league. Mysteriously absent first team goalie for example?

We might have failed in 86 but St Mirren made damned sure that if we did slip up, Celtic would win the league. Mysteriously absent first team goalie for example?

We lost it for ourselves mate

I know. I was there. My point is St mirren made sure that if we did slip up, Celtic had nothing to worry about

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I know. I was there. My point is St mirren made sure that if we did slip up, Celtic had nothing to worry about

McCartney has admitted to not trying against Celtic in his first game against them in his second St Mirren spell. That is the measure of the man and his leanings. Now if anyone is trying to tell me he tried his best in a game v them where nothing was at stake for St Mirren, but the right kind of heavy defeat gave Celtic the league, then I simply do not believe them.

Spellczech

The st liedown players didnt try.Thats cheating.

yep, but that is no reason to hate the fans. Some Saints fans may have a preference for one OF buttcheek over the other rather than hate both like I do, but so do a bunch of people on here...it is not a club I'd mourn, and I don't respect their team of '86, but that is all. The title that year was in our control and we blew it. Probs a combination of reasons, but those reasons don't really matter. It happened.

Archived