Holiday reading

Juanjo

Diadora Van Basten

Michael Stewart gets a mention in Rio Ferdinands autobiography which is a decent read.

Diadora Van Basten

What is said about Mikey?

Think it was along the lines of what you don't want to be like if you are a young Man Utd player.

Jamie Olivers Great Britain recipe book is full of them...

Sorry, it's been a long day.

Recieved in the post this very day the Encyclopedia of Scottish Football.

You'll need a long holiday to get through it.

The greatest footballer you never saw. The Robin Friday story.

Makes George Best seem normal

Amoruso_lets_it_run

Good shout. I hadn't heard of him before listening to the below podcast. Would recommend any football fan listening to that (and reading the book - although I haven't done so yet). I believe a movie is in the making too.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/audio/2015/jun/15/football-weekly-presents-the-ballad-of-robin-friday

Say What Again

A colourful, relatively unknown character, and a decent read.

He'll need something else to read once the flight is finished though :)

berrasbraw

Simon Jordan (ex owner of crystal palace). Best autobiography I've ever read. Everyone gets slaughtered,agents,players,managers.

9781409102045.jpg

I don't even know where I picked this up but it's an excellent read. Not about the mighty JT's but Malofeev gets a mention. You can have it if you want it. Sure I've still got it lying about.

9781409102045.jpg

I don't even know where I picked this up but it's an excellent read. Not about the mighty JT's but Malofeev gets a mention. You can have it if you want it. Sure I've still got it lying about.

One of my mates has that so I'll borrow it from him but I appreciate the offer.

Some good suggestions here, thanks folks

Torry Jambo

Got to go with "The Real Mackay".

I have read loads of football biographies but this Is easily the best one I have read.

augusthearts

I recently read Terry Christie's autobiography the Headteacher of football by the former Meadowbank Thistle manager and headteachers. I know Terry Christie is a big hibs fan, but asides from that its a very interesting read.

Can only agree about Dave MacKay's autobiography being a first rate read.Strongly recommended.

Brilliant Orange

Tor

The Glory Game

Morbo

Ajax and the War

With regards to Hearts related, The Boys in Maroon by John Fairgrieve

augusthearts

Brilliant Orange

Tor

The Glory Game

Morbo

Ajax and the War

With regards to Hearts related, The Boys in Maroon by John Fairgrieve

Read Tor, Brilliant Orange and Ajax and the War - all great reads. You've given me some good ideas for further reading. Appreciated.

Although a hobby Irvine Welsh latest A Decent Ride is a decent read! In fact it's bloody brilliant and is all art down Gorgie way. Just don't let the wife or weans pick it up!

Had the Dave Mackay autobiography for a wee while but not had a chance to read it til now so I reckon that'll be getting packed. I read The Boys in Maroon a couple of years ago on holiday, a really good read.

Anyone read Jack Alexander's book on McCrae's?

Diadora Van Basten

Although a hobby Irvine Welsh latest A Decent Ride is a decent read! In fact it's bloody brilliant and is all art down Gorgie way. Just don't let the wife or weans pick it up!

I am reading that just now and it is quite funny especially the Hibs perspective of 19/05/2012.

Captain America

The Real Mackay.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Real-Mackay-Story-Mainstream/dp/1845960432

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annoying that book is not available on Kindle yet.

I have sent the request to publisher through amazon link on bottom right of page to make it available on Kindle.

Hopefully it will be available one day.

rudolfskai

Think it was along the lines of what you don't want to be like if you are a young Man Utd player.

True,but I bet Rio wouldn't mind a crack at being poster boy for the one big switch

beerandbovril

Currently reading the tartan special one by Barry Phillips. ..which I believe has some foundation from a spoof Leigh Griffiths blog. I'm not sure if this is true or not but either way it is hilarious. The parody of Jocky Scott particularly is as inventive as it is amusing .

If it's nothing too in depth you're after then there's the Hearts paper match report book from yesteryear til recent years.

I've got all the books mentioned above so had to think outside the box!

Only thing is it's a big book so if you're flying you might go over yer weight allowance for luggage! :)

Howdy Doody Jambo

Harry Redknapps autobiography was a great book got it for 50p read it in 5 days highly recommend it

scott herbertson

Philip Kerr's January Window - a mystery story but one with a surprising amount of Hearts related content. Based around the mysterious death of a Mourhino style manager who has just signed a young Hearts goalie for ?8 million or so....

I reckon Kerr must be a Hearts supporter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KX96D3G/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436108966&sr=1-3&keywords=philip+kerr

jambofaefife

Bought and read "Doddie" by Alex McDonald, pretty poor quality, I would have thought he would have had lots of tales to tell about his time rebuilding the Jambos, unfortunately most of it is repeats of his programme notes from the time.

As most Jambos of a certain age would agree, he is up there with the best ever managers of Heart of Midlothian, however it is pretty sad that he has ended up driving a van for a living.

augusthearts

Bought and read "Doddie" by Alex McDonald, pretty poor quality, I would have thought he would have had lots of tales to tell about his time rebuilding the Jambos, unfortunately most of it is repeats of his programme notes from the time.

As most Jambos of a certain age would agree, he is up there with the best ever managers of Heart of Midlothian, however it is pretty sad that he has ended up driving a van for a living.

augusthearts

Agreed I bought this expecting some real insightful into a wonderful era for Hearts. Whilst it was still interesting I was hoping to get more out of it. Shame as a fantastic manager for us.

Apparently Irvine Welsh's new book has several mentions of Ryan Stevenson in it! Bizarre.

They were discussing this on Off the Ball yesterday. Stevo was the guest.

stirlingshirejambo

Philip Kerr's January Window - a mystery story but one with a surprising amount of Hearts related content. Based around the mysterious death of a Mourhino style manager who has just signed a young Hearts goalie for ?8 million or so....

I reckon Kerr must be a Hearts supporter

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KX96D3G/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1436108966&sr=1-3&keywords=philip+kerr

Got this tonight on kindle and must say finding it a tough read seems more intent on dropping in names to ensure authenticity but will keep at it.

Archived