Preston North End Pre Season

KingsknoweKid

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Provided I can get the match tickets I'll be travelling up by train from Derbyshire and bringing a mate to his first ever Hearts match. Hopefully he will become the fourth member of Hadfield (unofficial) Hearts Supporters Club. It's ok, he knows the score

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lancashire_lad

It'll take you less than an hour to walk it. Police will probably put buses on tbh.

The Preston plod will only lay buses on if they expect a lot of hollies to arrive all at once by train. There are dozens of taxis right outside the station, your best is getting 4 or 5 of you to share one and go straight to "The Sumners"  pub which is the official away fans pub (195 Watling Street, PR2 8AB).

The Sumners pub is only a 5 min walk from the away end at Deepdale - The Bill Shankly Kop Stand. It also has a big car park at the back, so those driving might want to park in there.

Hopefully both bars will be open for this game - they have a 2nd bar in the pool room, which is not normally used. They serve decent beer (and cheap) pub grub, have all the sports channels and a nice big beer garden outside (at the front of the pub).

Most pubs in the city centre won't serve anybody with Hearts colours on, so your better off going directly to The Sumners on your own steam, rather than have plod essort/walk you there - a long walk from the train station - although not that far from the Coach/Bus station.

The away end (Bill Shankly Kop) held just under 5,000 last season, as around a 1,000 seats at the front were closed down. However, I'm informed they will be re-opened for the upcoming season, so in theory if you brought up to 6,000 they could fit you all in!

Look forward to meeting a few of you there.

Fancy this. You think its better to make a weekend of it with the wee man(11yo), stay in Blackpool and go to game?

18th is day one of the Glasgow trades.

Might be just about ok.

JamboHeriot

The Preston plod will only lay buses on if they expect a lot of hollies to arrive all at once by train. There are dozens of taxis right outside the station, your best is getting 4 or 5 of you to share one and go straight to "The Sumners" pub which is the official away fans pub (195 Watling Street, PR2 8AB).

The Sumners pub is only a 5 min walk from the away end at Deepdale - The Bill Shankly Kop Stand. It also has a big car park at the back, so those driving might want to park in there.

Hopefully both bars will be open for this game - they have a 2nd bar in the pool room, which is not normally used. They serve decent beer (and cheap) pub grub, have all the sports channels and a nice big beer garden outside (at the front of the pub).

Most pubs in the city centre won't serve anybody with Hearts colours on, so your better off going directly to The Sumners on your own steam, rather than have plod essort/walk you there - a long walk from the train station - although not that far from the Coach/Bus station.

The away end (Bill Shankly Kop) held just under 5,000 last season, as around a 1,000 seats at the front were closed down. However, I'm informed they will be re-opened for the upcoming season, so in theory if you brought up to 6,000 they could fit you all in!

Thanks for the information mate.

jambo mark

The Preston plod will only lay buses on if they expect a lot of hollies to arrive all at once by train. There are dozens of taxis right outside the station, your best is getting 4 or 5 of you to share one and go straight to "The Sumners"  pub which is the official away fans pub (195 Watling Street, PR2 8AB).

How long is the walk to Sumners/Deepdale from the train station?  Some people have said 1 hour - google maps has it at 30ish

How big is Preston?

How can you walk 1 hour from the train station and still be in Preston?

How long is the walk to Sumners/Deepdale from the train station? Some people have said 1 hour - google maps has it at 30ish

32 minutes apparently, 1.5 miles

Hackney Hearts

32 minutes apparently, 1.5 miles

Roughly 6 minutes if you run.

lancashire_lad

How long is the walk to Sumners/Deepdale from the train station?  Some people have said 1 hour - google maps has it at 30ish

It really depends on how fast you walk, and how fit you are! I would say 30 - 40 mins on average.

If you want to take the bus get the 19 or 19A. (Preston Bus) thats stops almost outside The Sumners pub/ Deepdale.

Hope that helps.

Mate

how many bods does the Sumner hold, with and without the other bar being open?

It really depends on how fast you walk, and how fit you are! I would say 30 - 40 mins on average.

If you want to take the bus get the 19 or 19A. (Preston Bus) thats stops almost outside The Sumners pub/ Deepdale.

Hope that helps.

LeylandJambo

Fishwicks run a bus from Leyland to Preston home games and I've been informed they're putting on a bus for this game. It's going to be interesting being the only one on a double decker in maroon colours :)

Trained One

Roughly 6 minutes if you run.

4 minute mile...best call the Olympic Committee

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

The Shed Floodlight

Hope that helps.

is the Royal Garrison still open over the road from The Sumners lad. as was in their last time we played you and it was a no bad pub also.

portobellojambo1

I'll  say it again when do tickets go on sale?

The news on HMFC's own Facebook page is a bit confusing, as it says the game is pay at the gate, which doesn't make an awful lot of sense as they took a bulk ticket order from us yesterday.

Dalstonjambo

The news on HMFC's own Facebook page is a bit confusing, as it says the game is pay at the gate, which doesn't make an awful lot of sense as they took a bulk ticket order from us yesterday.

They also tweeted back to  someone from memory saying they would go on sale early july if my memory serves me correctly.

langsidejambo

I just phoned ticket office and was told thay are on sale tommorow ,morning.

lancashire_lad

Mate

how many bods does the Sumner hold, with and without the other bar being open?

Bar 2 (pool room) is to be open, I spoke to the landlady last night. I'm guessing around 350 to 400 inside. But there is lots of room outside too (Beer Garden at the front & large car park to the rear). Wolves and Liverpool both packed it out (inside and out) in recent seasons, with up to 500 bods at the pub.

lancashire_lad

is the Royal Garrison still open over the road from The Sumners lad. as was in their last time we played you and it was a no bad pub also.

No sadly the Royal Garrison closed about 2 years ago now (sign of the times re pubs in Preston) - however their car park was still used last season..

Website now confirms ticket arrangements.

On sale from 9am tomorrow web, phone, ticket office.

Adults ?10

Over 65s ?7.50

Under 16s ?5

3 loyalty points

PortsmouthJambo

Reckon we will sell out? Doesn't state how many tickets we have been given...

Reckon we will sell out? Doesn't state how many tickets we have been given...

Hearts fans in Bill Shankly Kop which holds 6,000

Should be okay for availability

Joe Hearts

Hearts fans in Bill Shankly Kop which holds 6,000

Should be okay for availability

Well you never know, remember we're now box office. :-)

Maroon Tart

Only one ticket per account? Im after 2 seats for me and the wife but she wont be happy if were miles apart. Strange to limit it to one ticket only is it not when its just a friendly?

Doctor FinnBarr

Only one ticket per account? Im after 2 seats for me and the wife but she wont be happy if were miles apart. Strange to limit it to one ticket only is it not when its just a friendly?

Wont you get 2 seats together when you book them at the same time?

Nobber in peace here...

Train station to Sumners is about 30-40 minutes walk...

To be honest the Sumners is shite. In fact a large percentage of PNE fans have stopped going in its that bad. Head to Friargate, (you will get served in colours, this is hardly a high risk match) cheap pints in the greyfriars, plenty of real boozers round as well with local brewed stuff. My favourite boozer is the old black bull, top place and fully recommended. Other good uns about Friargate are dog and partridge, Britannia inn, lamb and packet and the black horse... if you're a bit of a tit and fancy a 'bar' instead then church streets your destination were you get yer standard food places etc.

City centre to the ground is about a 15 minute walk.

For anyone that wants a decent beer and doesn't mind a cheap taxi to the ground, head to the continental (http://newcontinental.net/food-and-drink). Not far from train station, great beer selection and a cracking beer garden.

A excellent suggestion, fairly sure it's officially 'the best pub in lancashire'... Only problem it's a bit out the way from anything else.

MrWinningSmith

Just purchased three tickets online..... Can't wait!!! 

Lancashire_Lou

Nobber in peace here...

To be honest the Sumners is shite. In fact a large percentage of PNE fans have stopped going in its that bad. Head to Friargate, (you will get served in colours, this is hardly a high risk match) cheap pints in the greyfriars, plenty of real boozers round as well with local brewed stuff. My favourite boozer is the old black bull, top place and fully recommended. Other good uns about Friargate are dog and partridge, Britannia inn, lamb and packet and the black horse... if you're a bit of a tit and fancy a 'bar' instead then church streets your destination were you get yer standard food places etc.

This. You couldn't pay me to go in the Sumners!

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Had the same problem, emailed the club, and was told to register my mate on etickets. Worked a treat and so we will both be heading north to Preston to watch the Jam Tarts. First time I've been able to watch them so close to home (about 45 miles away). Once you register your wife - her membership number comes up immediately - just buy two tickets on your account and click 'assign' against one of the tickets. You'll then just have to enter her name and membership in the box that appears. Dead easy, even for an old IT dummy like me :)

We_are_the_Hearts

Surely its just about a meeting point fora coupleof hours sing song and not about how good the pub is?

Surely its just about a meeting point fora coupleof hours sing song and not about how good the pub is?

Depends mate, when I go away I like to sample the local ales, far more productive than singing songs you will sing on the game anyway! ;)

Joe Hearts

How big is Preston?

How can you walk 1 hour from the train station and still be in Preston?

Quite easily if youv'e had a skinfull and you're in a strange place!

the general

Depends mate, when I go away I like to sample the local ales, far more productive than singing songs you will sing on the game anyway! ;)

agreed ... nice local pub with good mates rather than herd mentality

there will be plenty of time spent with the rest of the troops on train and in stadium

Maroon Tart

Had the same problem, emailed the club, and was told to register my mate on etickets. Worked a treat and so we will both be heading north to Preston to watch the Jam Tarts. First time I've been able to watch them so close to home (about 45 miles away). Once you register your wife - her membership number comes up immediately - just buy two tickets on your account and click 'assign' against one of the tickets. You'll then just have to enter her name and membership in the box that appears. Dead easy, even for an old IT dummy like me :)

Cheers, all sorted with two seats together - happy wife, happy life! Looking forward to this little away day now!

GregorJack51

6 tickets purchased, looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lancashire_lad

This. You couldn't pay me to go in the Sumners!

The Sumners is probably the best away fans pub in Lancashire (now the Fernhurst at Blackburn has closed down). Apart from it having good beer and cheap food, a nice beer garden, its only 5 mins from the ground. Meeting the Manchester (Gorton) Hearts fans there. The only problem is it only holds around 500, so the other 5,000 of you will have to drink elsewhere !

Lancashire_Lou

The Sumners is probably the best away fans pub in Lancashire (now the Fernhurst at Blackburn has closed down). Apart from it having good beer and cheap food, a nice beer garden, its only 5 mins from the ground. Meeting the Manchester (Gorton) Hearts fans there. The only problem is it only holds around 500, so the other 5,000 of you will have to drink elsewhere !

Fortunately I can drink in any pub I like. I can either flash my maroon top or my Preston accent. [emoji108]

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Fortunately I can drink in any pub I like. I can either flash my maroon top or my Preston accent. [emoji108]

The pubs close to Moor Park are pretty rough, is this correct?

The new wetherspoons could be a shout, straight in a taxi from there, not sure if they allow colours?

Lancashire_Lou

The pubs close to Moor Park are pretty rough, is this correct?

The new wetherspoons could be a shout, straight in a taxi from there, not sure if they allow colours?

Moor Park & Unicorn are a bit shabby but Moorbrook is a lovely place. Probs won't get through the door though as it gets busy.

New wetherspoons is a bit of a chav-fest; you're better off down the 'student' end. Ferret, Bitter Suite, Dog & Partridge etc.

The Sun on Friargate is a Celtic pub so that's amusing.

Lancashire_Lou

I'll probably be in the Princess Alice for a couple beforehand; perfectly tucked away amongst houses

lancashire_lad

Nobber in peace here...

To be honest Nobber your well off the mark on a number of points.

Its a "high-risk match" according to Paul Elliott (PNE football Intelligence Officer) if 2,000 or more away fans come). As Hearts claim they will have upto 6,000 fans there, its "mega-high-risk" !!!

"The Greyfriars" is a good pub but no longer cheap anymore (and too far away from the ground). If Hearts fans want to drink in town try the other Witherspoons - "The 12 Tellers" still a fare way from the ground - but closer than Greyfrairs. - No colours allowed on match-days though.

As for the Sumners, PNE fans stopped going in there (in big numbers) - when it became the "official away fans pub" - after the Royal Garrison closed. Most home fans who want to drink close to the ground go in Deepdale Labour Club.

If your in colours and getting turned away from city centre pubs, the plod WILL round you up and nice DC Elliott and his boys in blue will esscort you either direct to the ground - (or if its before 2pm) or to The Sumners.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Moor Park & Unicorn are a bit shabby but Moorbrook is a lovely place. Probs won't get through the door though as it gets busy.

New wetherspoons is a bit of a chav-fest; you're better off down the 'student' end. Ferret, Bitter Suite, Dog & Partridge etc.

The Sun on Friargate is a Celtic pub so that's amusing.

True about the wetherspoons, probably why I go there now and again :laugh:

The student end could be a shout, adelphi has a massive beer garden out the back too and is generally quite accessible to Deepdale.

Lancashire_Lou

True about the wetherspoons, probably why I go there now and again :laugh:

The student end could be a shout, adelphi has a massive beer garden out the back too and is generally quite accessible to Deepdale.

Indeed. And there's always The Variety up the side of the Adelphi which is roomy & very cheap.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Indeed. And there's always The Variety up the side of the Adelphi which is roomy & very cheap.

Was in The Variety about a month ago, full of 15/16 year old boys :laugh: Would still go up there for a few though!

Benny Factor

Sumners stopped serving until we stopped singing in there in 2006. I hope that's not the case this time.

Doctor FinnBarr

Lou, or any other resident of Preston for that matter, on the off chance of me and the Mrs being sober enough to go out on Saturday night, are there any decent rock bars about the centre?

We're staying in the Ashwood if thats any help.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Lou, or any other resident of Preston for that matter, on the off chance of me and the Mrs being sober enough to go out on Saturday night, are there any decent rock bars about the centre?

We're staying in the Ashwood if thats any help.

I'd say The Mad Ferret up opposite the university is the best! My mate raves about it and he's into all that, only been in once for a burger myself.

Either that or The Warehouse which has a rock floor!

Archived