National Performance Centre progress

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

I've taken a few photos of the work underway at Riccarton at the moment and put them in a Flickr album.  The major building works should be completed in the summer of 2016.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100405989@N06/17903940890/in/album-72157653025808039/

The old reception area at the academy has been demolished  to make way for part of the footprint of the indoor football pitch, the base of which is currently being laid with hard core.

The Academy/Uni upper level football and rugby pitches have had their turf removed and will be relaid as two rugby pitches.  Two of the four lower level pitches have had their turf removed and look as if a new gravel base is being laid which will help with drainage.  The pitch furthest from the academy is currently untouched, but had new drainage installed a year ago.  The 1st team's training pitch and the enclosed pitch (U20s) were reseeded last summer and only seem to be being maintained with sharp sand and reseeding of the goalmouths.

I've been told that the artificial pitch will be ripped up shortly and upgraded with a new 3G surface.

I've had a look at the plans on the City of Edinburgh Planning Portal and it seems that covered seating (350 seats) will be installed to the west of the artificial pitch and to the east of the enclosed pitch.

The planning documents can be found here.

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N7GMHZEW0GY00

The planning reference is "14/02494/FUL"

Cheers for that mate. Interesting to see how things are progressing out there.

Thanks for the update!

WorldChampions1902

Many thanks for posting.

I hope they get a wiggle on. Edinburgh's only Premier Football Club needs Premier training facilities asap.

Thank god we didn't invest in a couple of barns and a piggery.

fabienleclerq

Which one?

Assuming he means the walled garden, which is gonna be part of the building is it not? Not sure what he wants from a car park, valets and champagne on arrival perhaps.

Footballfirst

Assuming he means the walled garden, which is gonna be part of the building is it not? Not sure what he wants from a car park, valets and champagne on arrival perhaps.

Yes. The indoor sports hall will be built within what was the walled garden car park, although I believe that some car parking spaces will be provided in the remaining space.

jamboinglasgow

cheers for the update FF, a long way to go but good to see progress starting. Feel a shame that we lose the entrance to the academy building, was always nice to see the Hearts badge on it.

I presume with so many pitches out of action at the moment, are some youth sides having to train elsewehere?

Also I notice by the plans that the grass area further west from the pitches are marked out as part of the national performance center but no plans show pitches on that area. Wonder if that area is to be developed later.

If there is going to be a stand for 350 people next to a football pitch does that mean our reserve / U20 team can play their home games at riccarton?

Many thanks for posting.

I hope they get a wiggle on. Edinburgh's only Premier Football Club needs Premier training facilities asap.

Thank god we didn't invest in a couple of barns and a piggery.

However, it is a world class piggery.

Footballfirst

If there is going to be a stand for 350 people next to a football pitch does that mean our reserve / U20 team can play their home games at riccarton?

They will only play the odd game there. I've heard that they are looking to play the Devl League games at a League 1 ground next season rather than Newtongrange.

The club will probably earn a little money from doing so, as clubs receive money from the SPFL on a sliding scale, depending whether or not they use their own ground, another SPFL ground, or a non league ground.

Whats the deal when it's fully developed. Do we get exclusive access and what happens with our existing leace?

FF, how many grass pitches are they putting in and are they as I've heard going to be hybrid?

Do you know if it's one indoor 3G & how many outdoor 3G?

Footballfirst

FF, how many grass pitches are they putting in and are they as I've heard going to be hybrid?

Do you know if it's one indoor 3G & how many outdoor 3G?

Five grass football pitches, two rugby pitches, one outdoor 3G, one full size indoor 3G, existing indoor 60 x 40 surface to be upgraded. I'm unaware of any hybrids.

There is space for three or four more pitches to be laid out in fields to the west of the site (currently used for horses).

https://citydev-portal.edinburgh.gov.uk/idoxpa-web/files/CB27BF4ACF010C51891549D73BE12669/pdf/14_02494_FUL-PROPOSED_MASTERPLAN-1932137.pdf

jamboinglasgow

I see it now has an official name - Oriam (which is because Or is gaelic for gold and then "I am" afterwards so supposed to be "I am gold.")

Though the twitter for it appears to be good for updates. @Oriamscotland.

Buffalo Bill

Thanks for the photos/updates, FF.

Will there be any Hearts branding in this facility, as there was before?

What is Hearts' 'position' within the centre? Will we still have our own areas once it's completed?

Footballfirst

Thanks for the photos/updates, FF.

Will there be any Hearts branding in this facility, as there was before?

What is Hearts' 'position' within the centre? Will we still have our own areas once it's completed?

I don't know what status we will have, other than the original bid that went forward stated that it would be used by a (then) SPL side.

I don't know that it has ever been made clear what arrangements we had with the university after the club went into administration.  HWU appeared as a creditor for ?5M+ (the remaining value of the original 25 year lease) in an early creditors report, but the entry disappeared in later reports.  I assume that BDO renegotiated the terms of the lease.

It is one for the Board or for Roger Arnott to answer what exclusive or priority access rights or facilities we will have going forward. It would also be nice to know how much we will be paying for those rights.

The AGM indicated that the annual costs for "Riccarton" amounted to ?540K.  The indication was that this cost included Rent, Utilities, Canteen and "Kit", but it wasn't clear if the Academy's coaching or scouting costs were included, or indeed any distinct costs related to the first team.  My understanding is that SFA grants and HYDC donations just about cover the running costs of the "Academy" itself.

Buffalo Bill

I don't know what status we will have, other than the original bid that went forward stated that it would be used by a (then) SPL side.

I don't know that it has ever been made clear what arrangements we had with the university after the club went into administration.  HWU appeared as a creditor for ?5M+ (the remaining value of the original 25 year lease) in an early creditors report, but the entry disappeared in later reports.  I assume that BDO renegotiated the terms of the lease.

It is one for the Board or for Roger Arnott to answer what exclusive or priority access rights or facilities we will have going forward. It would also be nice to know how much we will be paying for those rights.

The AGM indicated that the annual costs for "Riccarton" amounted to ?540K.  The indication was that this cost included Rent, Utilities, Canteen and "Kit", but it wasn't clear if the Academy's coaching or scouting costs were included, or indeed any distinct costs related to the first team.  My understanding is that SFA grants and HYDC donations just about cover the running costs of the "Academy" itself.

We will find out soon enough, I suppose.

The plans for this centre looks nothing short of spectacular, and if the costs justify it, we'll have access to the best facilities in Scotland.

I just hope it's made to feel like 'home' for our players and staff.

Paulie Walnut

We will have full access to essentially what we had before in our agreement with Heriot Watt and now the national performance centre, this is on agreed terms as before. These facilities include our offices, gym, canteen, changing rooms, grass pitches, goalie training area and indoor pitch when needed. We will also have access to the other indoor pitch but will not have first dibs on this by any means and the national teams will get first priority.

renting is better than buying when the owner regularly upgrades the facilities

credit to Chris Robinson and others for the original arrangement?

Footballfirst

I'd give Robinson some credit for progressing the academy arrangements, but not its execution when he had funds provided by SMG to purchase a share in the facilities, but we ended up with a 25 year rental/lease arrangement.

I'd question the "regular" upgrades too, e.g. the artificial surfaces have been in place since the Academy opened in 2004 and really should have been upgraded before now. 

At the time I thought he'd mucked up by not going for a lesser facility which we owned outright i.e. what hibs subsequently did.  But I've come to realise that renting is a far better approach, not just for now but for years to come.  You sign a long term lease, factor the rent into your running costs and never have to find huge amounts of cash from nowhere for upgrades or even a complete rebuild in years to come.  Won't be a popular view, but the same approach should be used for stadiums ......

• 4 weeks later...
Footballfirst

More photos from Riccarton today.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/100405989@N06/4pYneg

The indoor artificial pitch has been upgraded to a 3G surface and handed back to the University/Academy. 

The 2G outdoor artificial surface is currently being removed (not before time). 

The existing enclosed and first team training grass pitches look in good nick with only general maintenance having been done on them (they were reseeded last year). 

Two of the other Academy pitches have been dug up with new drainage, substrate and irrigation system(?) being put in place.  Similarly the two other Academy / Rugby pitches on the top level (will both end up as rugby pitches) have similar work in progress.

The ground works for the main indoor football hall are continuing, mainly putting in concrete piles. Similarly with the multi sports hall in the old walled garden.  

So FF, will there be no disruption to HMFC training at any stage of the construction of the Performance Centre? As in we wont have to relocate for a few months at all?

Footballfirst

So FF, will there be no disruption to HMFC training at any stage of the construction of the Performance Centre? As in we wont have to relocate for a few months at all?

I honestly don't know.  I think the first team are due back later this week or next and I think the U20s are already back. The main grass pitches are fine, but I don't know how much they will want to use them if everybody has to train on them.

I wouldn't expect the outdoor artificial surface to be available for another month or so, but that is used more by the Academy teams who won't be back until late July or early August.

jamboinglasgow

The indoor artificial pitch has been upgraded to a 3G surface and handed back to the University/Academy. 

The existing enclosed and first team training grass pitches look in good nick with only general maintenance having been done on them (they were reseeded last year). 

Two of the other Academy pitches have been dug up with new drainage, substrate and irrigation system(?) being put in place.  Similarly the two other Academy / Rugby pitches on the top level (will both end up as rugby pitches) have similar work in progress.

The ground works for the main indoor football hall are continuing, mainly putting in concrete piles. Similarly with the multi sports hall in the old walled garden.  

looking like steady progress. Will look amazing when finished.

I honestly don't know. I think the first team are due back later this week or next and I think the U20s are already back. The main grass pitches are fine, but I don't know how much they will want to use them if everybody has to train on them.

I wouldn't expect the outdoor artificial surface to be available for another month or so, but that is used more by the Academy teams who won't be back until late July or early August.

u17s are back tomorrow.

Futurejambo

Looks like it will be a fantastic facility which can only benefit all the players who will be fortunate enough to train and play there.

Footballfirst

u17s are back tomorrow.

I know the "full time" U20s are back.  I take it that it is a school holiday thing for the U17s to effectively train full time, or are they attending in the evenings.

I know the "full time" U20s are back. I take it that it is a school holiday thing for the U17s to effectively train full time, or are they attending in the evenings.

back to normal evenings mate.

Footballfirst

back to normal evenings mate.

Must be expecting an early start for the U17 league then.

Futurejambo

Think with the number of games pre season a few will be involved with 20s so maybe getting them in early so they can step in to bolster squad if required.

Looked in the photos, to me, that the outdoor pitch was being replaced by a grass pitch. Maybe it's just in such a bad state it's hard to tell. Agree, it's well overdue a facelift!!

So will Hearts continue use of indoor pitch in mean time?

Footballfirst

Looked in the photos, to me, that the outdoor pitch was being replaced by a grass pitch. Maybe it's just in such a bad state it's hard to tell. Agree, it's well overdue a facelift!!

So will Hearts continue use of indoor pitch in mean time?

They've only lifted a little more than a third of the artificial pitch so far.  It will probably take them the rest of the week to do that.  I don't know what work will be required on the substrate before they lay down the new surface.

I' don't know what facilities they need or are using at the moment. I'm sure that the first few days back will focus on measurement and assessments with a fair bit of running, strength and conditioning to get the general fitness levels back where they are required.

jamboinglasgow

They've only lifted a little more than a third of the artificial pitch so far.  It will probably take them the rest of the week to do that.  I don't know what work will be required on the substrate before they lay down the new surface.

I' don't know what facilities they need or are using at the moment. I'm sure that the first few days back will focus on measurement and assessments with a fair bit of running, strength and conditioning to get the general fitness levels back where they are required.

Craig Levein tonight mentioned that they are on the pitches from tomorrow after testing has now finished.

One thing (on a side note) is I hope Hearts do a bit tomorrow around that, get photos of training, video with bits of training cut with interviews with some of the players. I always feel the club could do much more in that regard, as too often it has the odd interview but keeps away from interacting with the players and them going about training. They did a video last season when they were down in England and it was a bit fun of footage shot with the players and felt more engaging with the players for the fans. But the rest of the year there is nothing. Hearts TV improved its matchday coverage dramatically last season, they should look to improve its content outside matchday.

Huge development for Hearts this is.  I know I'm stating the obvious but it is fantastic.  To have such brilliant training and development facilities is a massive plus for us.

Footballfirst

Aerial shot of the Academy Building, and the ground works in the walled garden (car park C) and the site of the indoor football pitch

CIWAN5GUEAAin5N.jpg

Aerial shot of the Academy Building, and the ground works in the walled garden (car park C) and the site of the indoor football pitch

Where is the new car park going to be?

CIWAN5GUEAAin5N.jpg

Footballfirst

What was Car Park C  (the walled garden) will be no more, barring a few spaces, possibly for blue badge holders.

There is plenty of parking spaces in Car Park A, and B should be fully restored on completion of the works..

disgruntledfan

What was Car Park C  (the walled garden) will be no more, barring a few spaces, possibly for blue badge holders.

There is plenty of parking spaces in Car Park A, and B should be fully restored on completion of the works..

FF, I take it the wall of the walled garden is protected for some historic reason ?

Footballfirst

FF, I take it the wall of the walled garden is protected for some historic reason ?

I think it is listed, therefore has been retained in the new development.

• 2 weeks later...
Footballfirst

Some photos from today with the laying of the new artificial surface just about ready to start and erection of the steel work for the main halls underway.

19046247914_dc61d22dbc_b.jpg

19046250274_587bab6467_b.jpg

19480825920_9849d26fe7_b.jpg

19480792648_e697956884_b.jpg

19046236804_a4fa66f80c_b.jpg

Archived