Andy Goram

jambothommo

jambothommo

As its end of season and nothing much happening - OK small matter of whether Rangers come up or keep Hibs company next season - thought I'd share this Andy Goram observation. He's not the brightest is he, but what a keeper. I was playing in a cancer charity golf game last week in Edinburgh and Mr Goram turned up late, reported to the fund raising organiser and said "I've no shoes, I'll just go to the pro-shop and get some, OK?" (ie you'll pay for these won't you because I'm a big draw for your paying punters at the golf day) He was told in no uncertain terms that he could buy himself the nicest pair of shoes in the shop, but he'll be paying for them himself.

Anyway, back to how good he was. Does anyone remember an odd phenomenon that I've never seen before or since at a derby match. Hearts were playing Hibs at Tynecastle and Goram was in goal. I think we were a goal up.

We continued to throw everything at them. Scott Crabbe I remember shaking his head, after being through on goal umpteen times and just couldn't beat him.

And up from the home support came a chant of One Andy Goram, there's only one Andy Goram. He ignored the chants because he thought the Hearts fans were taking the piss. But they weren't, he was genuinely being recognised for an amazing performance.

Never seen it before or since.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
gashauskis9

Remember it like it was yesterday, he was truly inspirational that day and it may have been his last derby in fact.

Always liked him when he played for hibs got a bit mixed up in the orange pish at rangers.

Him and robbo were mates.

Son Of Anarchy

Met him once and thought he was a roaster. Great keeper at times though that's for sure.

Bungalow Bill

Scotland's best ever keeper?

(Note the question mark)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember that game, one of the most one-sided derbies ever and Crabbo was desperate to score. I'm sure he had an overhead kick saved by Goram amongst other things. Did we win 3-0 or 3-1 in the end? Anyhow it was one of those moments where the fans acknowledged they were watching something special that day.

gashauskis9

I remember that game, one of the most one-sided derbies ever and Crabbo was desperate to score. I'm sure he had an overhead kick saved by Goram amongst other things. Did we win 3-0 or 3-1 in the end? Anyhow it was one of those moments where the fans acknowledged they were watching something special that day.

3-1 I think, I remember George Wright getting a goal and think Tortolano got theirs.

I would have been at that game but don't remember us chanting his name.

I do remember us calling him "Sumoooo, Sumooooo" quite a lot though.

3-1 I think, I remember George Wright getting a goal and think Tortolano got theirs.

I seem to remember being three up at half time and a bit gutted that we never thumped them by more. But hazy now I have to admit.

...a bit disco

Met him once and thought he was a roaster. Great keeper at times though that's for sure.

Sat beside him at a Robert Halpern show at the Odeon when he was with Hibs.

A roaster indeed.

Bowmans_Boot

I dont remember Hearts fans chanting his name at all. Well, not unless it was stg abusive.

Bowmans_Boot

I met him once, in a bar on the Shankill Road. Nice guy, but gave me a hard time because I support Hearts.....

Amazingly talented goalie.

Guess The Crowd

As its end of season and nothing much happening - OK small matter of whether Rangers come up or keep Hibs company next season - thought I'd share this Andy Goram observation. He's not the brightest is he, but what a keeper. I was playing in a cancer charity golf game last week in Edinburgh and Mr Goram turned up late, reported to the fund raising organiser and said "I've no shoes, I'll just go to the pro-shop and get some, OK?" (ie you'll pay for these won't you because I'm a big draw for your paying punters at the golf day) He was told in no uncertain terms that he could buy himself the nicest pair of shoes in the shop, but he'll be paying for them himself.

Anyway, back to how good he was. Does anyone remember an odd phenomenon that I've never seen before or since at a derby match. Hearts were playing Hibs at Tynecastle and Goram was in goal. I think we were a goal up.

We continued to throw everything at them. Scott Crabbe I remember shaking his head, after being through on goal umpteen times and just couldn't beat him.

And up from the home support came a chant of One Andy Goram, there's only one Andy Goram. He ignored the chants because he thought the Hearts fans were taking the piss. But they weren't, he was genuinely being recognised for an amazing performance.

I was there, that game's been discussed on here before.

It was 3-1, and near the end Goram made two absolutely world class saves. The entire Hearts support gave him a standing ovation on both occasions. I beg to differ about his name being chanted, but you're right, he was bemused - not clear if the piss was being taken, which it wasn't.

I dont remember Hearts fans chanting his name at all. Well, not unless it was stg abusive.

It happened. 'One Andy Goram' if I remember correctly.

JudyJudyJudy

Fat jakey alky bigoted arsehole of a man.

You're right tho...some keeper.

Agree , A complete alkie. I stood next to him in  a bar one night and accidently banged into him and he went ballistic. TOOL . Another of the alike gamblers who were former footie players

When he was at Hibs Kenny Waugh arranged for his mortgage and bills to be paid by the club and deducted from his wages as otherwise they would end up being donated to the bookies and pub as soon as he was paid.

airdriejambo3

is  that the game we had several one on ones and he was off his line like a shot and blocked quite a few, for a little shit he made himself a big barrier.

Bowmans_Boot

It happened. 'One Andy Goram' if I remember correctly.

Not in the Hearts end.

I remember the game and I think Scott Crabbe never scored against Hibs mainly because of Goram. My admittedly vague memory of one particular save in that match was a curling shot from Crabbe from the left side of the box, at the school end, to the top right hand corner, Goram somehow got himself across the goal and tipped it round the post. As others have said I don't recall his name being chanted but he did get an ovation for that save, lots of folk shouting 'great save' etc. Off the field he's an a***hole.

Benny Factor

I met him once, in a bar on the Shankill Road. Nice guy, but gave me a hard time because I support Hearts.....

You in the Shankill Road????? I don't believe it.

I can remember it quite clearly, the shed sang "one Andy Goram " early 1991.

I have been in his company a couple of times, and I can confirm he's a bit of an arse.

Off topic I remember just after he signed for the Hibs he had bother with the Hibs casuals after he shagged one of "the boys" burds...

Benny Factor

I was closer to the pitch than most that day and it was easily the best goalkeeping performance I've seen at Tynie in my lifetime.

Serj Tankian

I remember the game and I think Scott Crabbe never scored against Hibs mainly because of Goram. My admittedly vague memory of one particular save in that match was a curling shot from Crabbe from the left side of the box, at the school end, to the top right hand corner, Goram somehow got himself across the goal and tipped it round the post. As others have said I don't recall his name being chanted but he did get an ovation for that save, lots of folk shouting 'great save' etc. Off the field he's an a***hole.

And the next season crabbe scored against Goram playing for the currant buns a looping shot at Gorgie road end .

Hawick Jambo

Yes me too. It was one of Scott Crabbe's last games for us.

Goran had talent but always thought of him as typical chocolate and would eat himself. I worked years ago at a place where one of his girlfriends worked and he was always turning up . The Hibs fans fawning all over him - some things never change.

Not in the Hearts end.

It was in the Hearts end. He has said one of his best moments in football.

Explains a lot. :whistling:

Not in the Hearts end.

Maybe you can ask him the next time you go drinking with him.

The Real Maroonblood

That's interesting.

I was closer to the pitch than most that day and it was easily the best goalkeeping performance I've seen at Tynie in my lifetime.

Agreed and by a distance. That day, it really should've been ten.

He was an outstanding goalkeeper but a complete arsehole.

noidletalk81

A so-called Jambo that constantly posts his support for Sevco, is first to jump to their defence, gets very upset when the truth about their horrible club and supporters is discussed, just randomly ends up sharing a pint with a renowned sectarian bigot in the Shankhill Road of all places!

How innocuous indeed!

:gok:

But, but, but...am still a PHM! :2thumbsup:

Buffalo Bill

One of my favourite derbies, watched from the Shed.

All four goals were scored in about nine or ten minutes.

Goram saved Hibs from an absolute rogering that day.

Bowmans_Boot

It was in the Hearts end. He has said one of his best moments in football.

Fair enough, I dont remember that at all and was in the Shed that day :-)

Bowmans_Boot

Maybe you can ask him the next time you go drinking with him.

Haha I dont go drinking with him, I just happened to bump into him in a small bar once!!

Bowmans_Boot

That's interesting.

It wasnt the most fascinating story I have ever told, no....!

I remember them chanting there's only two Andy Goram's after it was announced that he had schizophrenia.

MacDonald Jardine

A so-called Jambo that constantly posts his support for Sevco, is first to jump to their defence, gets very upset when the truth about their horrible club and supporters is discussed, just randomly ends up sharing a pint with a renowned sectarian bigot in the Shankhill Road of all places!

How innocuous indeed!

:gok:

But, but, but...am still a PHM! :2thumbsup:

What on earth are you on about now?

I'd kind of hoped you'd go quiet now your Edinburgh pals are out the play offs.

I remember them chanting there's only two Andy Goram's after it was announced that he had schizophrenia.

I'm sure that was Motherwell fans originally but every club seems to claim it these days.

disgruntledfan

What on earth are you on about now?

I'd kind of hoped you'd go quiet now your Edinburgh pals are out the play offs.

Do you have duel accounts you and bowmans boot ? because you have posted under the wrong username,unless miraculously you have come on here to defend BBs honor from a quote that was not directed at you but your alter ego, ooft another outed

Best goalkeeping display I ever witnessed at Tynecastle. We should have murdered them that day. And Scott Crabbe's goal against him following season was exceptional, as I recall Crabbe blootered it up in the air from halfway line and Goram had his back to the pitch mucking about with his towel in the nets,never saw it coming, it was a bolt out of the blue, fantastic goal, my cousin and I just looked at each other in utter amazement, aahhh memories, so much better than the real thing...Can't wait until 2030 when we reminisce about this season...53 points clear of hibs and scored 425 goals. Seriously though Goram was superb that day.

MacDonald Jardine

Do you have duel accounts you and bowmans boot ? because you have posted under the wrong username,unless miraculously you have come on here to defend BBs honor from a quote that was not directed at you but your alter ego, ooft another outed

Wrong pal. I'm not BB

Just fed up of the usual shite from the usual sources.

Sounds like you might be someone else though.

Ha ha! One thing's for sure, they're not Hearts.

They (he) don't even try to hide they're (his) hunnery.

Archived