Next season

Toonhertz

Bridge of Djoum

For me, a good season would be 5-6th in the league. a decent run in either cup.

We have to bear in mind it's the managers 1st season in the top flight, coupled with a few new faces to blend into the squad. If we get a good pre-season in, and a favourable 1st few games, I think 5-6th would be the a good 1st season back up.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingantti1874

Anyone who thinks top 3 is out of reach should be watching sportscene... The SPL is absolutely guff.

Bowmans_Boot

If we arent EASILY top 6, and challenging for 2nd (with or without Rangers) then I would see it as a disappointing season.  Plus we should be challenging for the cups - either one would be a good target.  

As someone else said, the SPL isnt that high a standard and we have some very, very good players.  

airthjambo

We cannot get ahead of ourselves here, if we can consolidate and then kick on the following season that'll do me , also chuck in a wee cup run for good measure.

This is my view back to 1983/84 consolidate our position to start with

CollyWolly

If we arent EASILY top 6, and challenging for 2nd (with or without Rangers) then I would see it as a disappointing season. Plus we should be challenging for the cups - either one would be a good target.

As someone else said, the SPL isnt that high a standard and we have some very, very good players.

assuming this isn't a wind up, I really hope that people of this mindset are few and far between because they're the first to start grumbling from the stands and getting on the teams back when their delusions are becoming apparent.

Look at our squad sensibly for a minute and consider what it needs added to make your vision a reality.

1. We have two young fullbacks, neither of whom is anywhere close to the finished article who could easily get ripped up frequently in the top league

2. We have one senior centre half at the club and he's untested at premiership level.

3. Our entire midfield squad is either young and untested at the higher level or has been there recently and found wanting.

4. We have one striker we can have reasonable confidence in scoring at that level and he hasn't ever played in the top league.

So, your ambition and optimism are admirable in some ways but a bit worrying if the fan base across the board expects a title challenge and a European spot as a minimum. The squad as it is will survive in the league. If we get lucky in the transfer market we might get top six and Europe at an absolute maximum. Anything else as an expectation is delusional, sorry.

Bowmans_Boot

I really hope that people of this mindset are few and far between because they're the first to start grumbling from the stands and getting on the teams back when their delusions are becoming apparent.

Look at our squad sensibly for a minute and consider what it needs added to make your vision a reality.

1. We have two young fullbacks, neither of whom is anywhere close to the finished article who could easily get ripped up frequently in the top league

2. We have one senior centre half at the club and he's untested at premiership level.

3. Our entire midfield squad is either young and untested at the higher level or has been there recently and found wanting.

4. We have one striker we can have reasonable confidence in scoring at that level and he hasn't ever played in the top league.

So, your ambition and optimism are admirable in some ways but a bit worrying if the fan base across the board expects a title challenge and a European spot as a minimum. The squad as it is will survive in the league. If we get lucky in the transfer market we might get top six and Europe at an absolute maximum. Anything else as an expectation is delusional, sorry.

Fair points, I just do not see the SPL as being of that high a standard.  And I promise you, I have seen a lot of rubbishy Hearts teams and will NOT get on their back if we are not as I wish!!  

Dr Ian Malcolm

We're not a side who's finally gotten their chance in the top league and don't know what to expect - we were far, far too good for the Championship - that in itself tells you we're a Premiership quality team.

The majority of our players know exactly what this level is about - even the young ones (even the two fullbacks who were not regularly "ripped up" at all). Guys like Sow may not have played there but clearly have the quality to cope just fine. Talk of "consolidating our position" grossly misjudges the level of player we currently have, and are likely to attract over the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kingantti1874

assuming this isn't a wind up, I really hope that people of this mindset are few and far between because they're the first to start grumbling from the stands and getting on the teams back when their delusions are becoming apparent.

Weren't Gomis and buaben fixtures in the dufc midfield that finished 3rd and won the SC?

I've just watched St Johnstone finish 4th... Non of their players would get a game for hearts.. None

CollyWolly

Fair points, I just do not see the SPL as being of that high a standard.  And I promise you, I have seen a lot of rubbishy Hearts teams and will NOT get on their back if we are not as I wish!!

Your right. It isn't that high a standard, unless it's improved in the one season we were out of it. However you need to remember that this Hearts team has been playing lower league football in a league that was half decent and half dross. One thing you do notice in the topleague, having watched a few games, is that league is faster and played at a higher tempo, even the lower teams play it quicker. Don't get me wrong, finishing quite high up isn't beyond the realms of possibility, but to EXPECT it and be disappointed if we don't finish top 3 is setting yourself up for a very disappointing season.

I'd be delighted with top 6, which is possible with the right additions, and I'd be overwhelmed if we got Europe through our league place.

For some reason I fancy us for a cup run or two though.

Bowmans_Boot

Your right. It isn't that high a standard, unless it's improved in the one season we were out of it. However you need to remember that this Hearts team has been playing lower league football in a league that was half decent and half dross. One thing you do notice in the topleague, having watched a few games, is that league is faster and played at a higher tempo, even the lower teams play it quicker. Don't get me wrong, finishing quite high up isn't beyond the realms of possibility, but to EXPECT it and be disappointed if we don't finish top 3 is setting yourself up for a very disappointing season.

I'd be delighted with top 6, which is possible with the right additions, and I'd be overwhelmed if we got Europe through our league place.

For some reason I fancy us for a cup run or two though.

I would happily take top 6 and a cup :)  

CollyWolly

Weren't Gomis and buaben fixtures in the dufc midfield that finished 3rd and won the SC?

I've just watched St Johnstone finish 4th... Non of their players would get a game for hearts.. None

I have watched Hearts lose to teams who's players wouldn't get near our team for years. But St Johnstone are a prime example of how much better the opposition is going to be than what we have just come from. They are no great shakes and they are a small provincial club. I've seen us struggle against that kind of club for YEARS.

Let's be quite clear about Gomis and Buaben. They were no longer good enough for that team and that's why they are not there or at a higher level. That's why they ended up in the Scottish Championship.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I have watched Hearts lose to teams who's players wouldn't get near our team for years. But St Johnstone are a prime example of how much better the opposition is going to be than what we have just come from. They are no great shakes and they are a small provincial club. I've seen us struggle against that kind of club for YEARS.

Let's be quite clear about Gomis and Buaben. They were no longer good enough for that team and that's why they are not there or at a higher level. That's why they ended up in the Scottish Championship.

St Johnstone came up from the division we have just skooshed and gave us a torrid time and without too much bother stayed up and prospered. We are better equipped to do even better than that. Look also at Dundee or ICT.

Agree to an extent about Gomis and Buaben, but I don't think they will be our first choice central pairing next season, but believe they will both play a big part at various junctures throughout.

I think we will be a better side next season, but also think the side who finished last season would be top six.

CollyWolly

St Johnstone came up from the division we have just skooshed and gave us a torrid time and without too much bother stayed up and prospered. We are better equipped to do even better than that. Look also at Dundee or ICT.

Agree to an extent about Gomis and Buaben, but I don't think they will be our first choice central pairing next season, but believe they will both play a big part at various junctures throughout.

I think we will be a better side next season, but also think the side who finished last season would be top six.

I think the job CL and RN have this summer is going into the new season with a squad they are 100% sure will not be relegated. Relegation next season would be an unthinkable disaster. Once we have ensured we have that kind of squad, then we'll see how good we actually are and how poor or otherwise the opposition are. At the moment there are no stats or results which can have us confident of being top six. My gut feeling is we'll stay up comfortably but there isn't any solid evidence of where we fit in now until,we've played half a dozen games against varied opposition in the top league. Out with 2005/06, this summer is very possibly the most important in the clubs modern history.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think the job CL and RN have this summer is going into the new season with a squad they are 100% sure will not be relegated. Relegation next season would be an unthinkable disaster. Once we have ensured we have that kind of squad, then we'll see how good we actually are and how poor or otherwise the opposition are. At the moment there are no stats or results which can have us confident of being top six. My gut feeling is we'll stay up comfortably but there isn't any solid evidence of where we fit in now until,we've played half a dozen games against varied opposition in the top league. Out with 2005/06, this summer is very possibly the most important in the clubs modern history.

Nowt wrong with your caution and modest hopes/expectations.

I think Levein and Neilson have far loftier expectations and ambitions than that though. I certainly do as well.

:thumbsup:

CollyWolly

Nowt wrong with your caution and modest hopes/expectations.

I think Levein and Neilson have far loftier expectations and ambitions than that though. I certainly do as well.

:thumbsup:

I certainly share the ambition. I expect it to take more than one season back in the top league for us to be competing at the very top end of it. Great if we do it next season but I don't think any of us have the right to EXPECT it and I'd be surprised if AB, CL or RN EXPECT it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I certainly share the ambition. I expect it to take more than one season back in the top league for us to be competing at the very top end of it. Great if we do it next season but I don't think any of us have the right to EXPECT it and I'd be surprised if AB, CL or RN EXPECT it.

Fair dues. :)

I still expect it though, and reckon Craig and Robbie do too, despite what they will admit publicly. Levein finished third two years on the trot with Hearts and got great results in Europe, and turned UTD in to a top three team consistently in Europe after taking them over as relegation candidates.

I EXPECT to be in the top 3, it's really not a mammoth task, I'm aware we could well finish 5th or 6th if we go back to dropping points against wee diddy teams but I'm hoping we can find a bit of consistency against them this time around.

Last season we sold about 12.5 times the amount of STs that St. Johnstone sold (They have about 1k ST holders). I expect the gap to increase to around 14 times this season.

Undoubtedly, this is an enormous difference and it should be hugely difficult for them to compete with us.This goes for every other club in the league (outside celtic). Even looking at Aberdeen, we will probably still shift a good 30% more than them (perhaps even greater than that).

However, the club is currently going through a complete rebuilding process both on and off the park - and we all know that this will take time. A top 6 finish would be a positive step forward for the club and I think this should be our minimum expectation.

Certainly, I'm sure the management team will be looking to do more than that. I don't think that it is unrealistic to aim to finish in a European spot or go on a good cup run, but at the same time it wouldn't be a massive disappointment if we weren't able to achieve that just yet.

Arthur Morgan

I have full confidence in Levein and Robbie to bring in the right players to improve us. Let's be honest, the standard of the Premiership is nowhere near what it used to be. Are teams like Dundee and Partick that much better than QOTS or Falkirk? I don't think so. I think top 4 is an achievable aim.

cosanostra

We need to compete. I think we're a bit lightweight. Big Z showed us the value of having players able to hold their own physically

Top six is a result IMHO

This.

We're not physically strong enough for top 6 from what I can see.

Very much depends on recruitment.

I think we might get a few uncomfortable results next season.

And this.

Our midfield is extremely lightweight, our left back is not the strongest, we've got one strong centre back and none of our strikers are really the battering ram type.

Scottish football has always been partly about winning the physical battles first and foremost.

That'll be hard to do without some careful recruitment over the next couple of months. How we do next season is hugely dependent on who arrives over the summer and how quickly they get up to speed.

Craig and Robbie did a great rebuilding job last season and now they have it all to do again but with a higher standard of opponent to face.

PurfJambo1902

St Johnstone have got Europe four times since being promoted....surely if a wee club like that can achieve that then so can we?!

gavinderbayne

First. Anything less is unacceptable. And both cups too

Once we know who we have signed and who we have sold this thread will be interesting, see you in July.

Once we know who we have signed and who we have sold this thread will be interesting, see you in July.

Agree, centre back and powerful forward are key to next season.

St Johnstone have got Europe four times since being promoted....surely if a wee club like that can achieve that then so can we?!

Didnt we hammer them four nil in a pre season friendly at their place?

I think we need to make Tynecastle a fortress and a place teams won't want to visit. Hopefully with the singing section it will create an atmosphere to spur the team on. Anyway I don't think top six is unrealistick but definitely not Europe. I'll go for 5th or 6th behind Celtic,Aberdeen,United,Inverness then it's between us,Dundee,St Johnstone and Sevco. Avoid Celtic in the cups and who knows how far we can go.

Dirty Deeds

Top 6 with the current squad. Some good signings should mean European qualification.

European place please. I'm gagging on a trip to foreign shores to watch the Hertz.

kingantti1874

Sorry we do have a right to expect it, expectation is what sets us apart from Hibernian and other such teams .. Expectation is why the support of HMFC would have been seething if we lost in the playoffs to rangers.. Everyone associated with the club and the players who pull on the shirt should understand that expectation.

Cast No Shadow

Drivel.

It's entirely relevant.

Erm: it's not. We will have the third or fourth highest wage bill and half of the division is utter dross.

Thanks for playing anyway.

Sorry we do have a right to expect it, expectation is what sets us apart from Hibernian and other such teams .. Expectation is why the support of HMFC would have been seething if we lost in the playoffs to rangers.. Everyone associated with the club and the players who pull on the shirt should understand that expectation.

We don't have a sense of entitlement like Sevco but we do have standards and expectations, by and large the Hearts support are realists, and we know what our players of that era/time are capable of, and we don't expect our players to give anything less than 100%

Unlike those from the other side of the city who are dreamers and fantasists, who always have an excuse every time they inevitably **** up...it's always someone else's fault, the referees, yam fuds seems to be a popular excuse at the moment, whatever, but it's that mindset that separates us, as mentioned on previous threads if we had finished 21 points below Hibs this season, Neilsons Jacket would be on a shoogly peg, but old Stubbsy is a hero down Lochend way.

WorldChampions1902

Indeed.

I am getting irritated with the "let's settle for top six" pish being spouted on here at times.

I am not looking for miracles. I am not looking to be challenging for even runners up spot in what will still be one of the poorest-ever top Scottish divisions. I am however expecting to be contemplating another European away day this time next year (Europa Cup).

Anyone expecting anything less is not a PHM IMHO.

King Of The Cat Cafe

A mate who works for STV has just sent me a transcript of an interview they recorded with Robbie and Alan Stubbs:

Interviewer: So, Alan, how do you see Hibs getting on next season?

Stubbs: We will be promoted as champions.

Interviewer: And you, Robbie, how will Hearts fare?

Robbie: We will win the title with a record number of points and goals scored, plus we will beat Celtic in both cup finals.

Interviewer: Is that not a bit unrealistic?

Robbie: (pointing at Stubbs) well he started it.

Top 6 should be minimum. If you look at the season we were relegated we won 38 points which was 2 off 7th.

We've pretty much got the same youngsters who are now a year older, got rid of a load of the older players who were average and have replaced them with the likes of Sow, Pallardo etc. Think people need to realise that some of the teams in that league are nothing special

Taking Dundee and Hamilton in their first season up as an example (6th and 7th respectively) we have to think mid-table is more than achievable.

Considering the wage bill we will be able to afford, we should be looking to 4th or 5th

I'd like to see a wee cup win as well, bit of silverware always puts a shine on a season

I think people have to also see the difference between fans demands, expectations and realistic hopes

I demand we stay up, Expect us to finish mid-table and have a realistic expectation that we could finish 3rd or 4th

CollyWolly

Top 6 should be minimum. If you look at the season we were relegated we won 38 points which was 2 off 7th.

We've pretty much got the same youngsters who are now a year older, got rid of a load of the older players who were average and have replaced them with the likes of Sow, Pallardo etc. Think people need to realise that some of the teams in that league are nothing special

That's almost a convincing argument. Except 38 points would have left us in 10th this season, just a couple of points above Motherwell and would almost always have you flirting with relegation. 38 points isn't in any way a good haul. You'd be looking at close to 60 points to get in amongst the top 4 or 5.But then you look at St Johnstone in 4th this season and see that they had 13 defeats !! I don't see us getting that many or anything close to it.. However they had 8 away wins, which we might struggle to match.

I don't think there is any doubt that we have improved on the squad that got relegated but 38 points to 60 plus is quite a leap. Its all about the summer shopping list coming to fruition IMO.

Pans Jambo

We should be planning to win it outright. 

Aim for the stars and hit the moon.

BRAVEHEART1874

Apart from Celtic there is not much between the rest of the bunch so hope we get a good start and gather momentum.

Depends on how well we play against the likes of Inverness, St Johnstone,Dundee United draws are really not good enough if you want to finish in the top 4 we would need to take 3 points from these teams and I hope we set up as an attacking team again this year and go for the jugular.

Can't see why we could not put in a great challenge for the cups we can't get Celtic twice again in the opening stages can we ?

So 4rth as surely we can match St Johnstone but if we get too many draws then aye top six.

KineticBeat

As long as we are still a Premiership team in August 2016 then I'll be a happy chappy. 

Would have liked a cup run this year so we could have tested ourselves against Premiership opposition other than Celtic, and if we had done well I would maybe be joining the top 6 brigade. The truth is we never got that comparison due to bad luck of the draw. 

Yeah we have a bigger fan base than Inverness, St Johnstone etc but we are still on the mend from Administration and I think it would be foolish to expect that straight away. When we are 2-3 years down the line and have established ourselves as a Premiership club again, then sure, but for now I feel it could be a bit premature.

As long as we are still a Premiership team in August 2016 then I'll be a happy chappy.

A very hibs style outlook. Prepare your anus.

:jjyay:

IF we are going to make any significant impact on Scottish football under AB and the foundation we need to carry on the momentum form last season. If we don?t, I can see us slipping back to mediocrity. A top 3 finish should be the aim.

Watt-Zeefuik

Top 6 expected.  Euro spot a goal.  7-8 a disappointment but them's the breaks.  Second place a stretch goal.  9 or lower really unacceptable.  League champs a dream.

What that completely illogically optimistic part of my brain wants to believe: doing the triple. :jj:

Who knows about the cups.  I want to see us acquit ourselves well, and hopefully not keep drawing Celtic in early rounds.

The ease which which Motherwell won last night is a bit of a reality check about what we will face next season.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

The ease which which Motherwell won last night is a bit of a reality check about what we will face next season.

Disagree. Motherwell played like it was a Cup Final. Hearts are better than both those sides already, and once we strengthen, I'd see us comfortably top 4. :)

It's not in my nature to accuse anyone on this board to be a bitter Hibs supporter but you have left yourself wide open to that accusation.

tolcross lad

I agree.Overall our current squad are a bit lacking in pace and strength or experience to compete in the SPFL.Much will depend on who comes in.

A mate who works for STV has just sent me a transcript of an interview they recorded with Robbie and Alan Stubbs:

Interviewer: So, Alan, how do you see Hibs getting on next season?

Stubbs: We will be promoted as champions.

Interviewer: And you, Robbie, how will Hearts fare?

Robbie: We will win the title with a record number of points and goals scored, plus we will beat Celtic in both cup finals.

Interviewer: Is that not a bit unrealistic?

Robbie: (pointing at Stubbs) well he started it.

Thats a sketch I'd love to see on Only an excuse! ehhh provided its not been cancelled.

Archived