Robbie off to Spain for summer signing talks

davieholt

What he said was"@CraigWLevein: @Stenbizz on the case. Aiming high as always and will get a few knock backs but will keep going. Resilience is often underrated.

Which makes me think we have had a knock back or two in transfer efforts.

Glass half empty type of guy eh...

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What he said was"@CraigWLevein: @Stenbizz on the case. Aiming high as always and will get a few knock backs but will keep going. Resilience is often underrated.

Which makes me think we have had a knock back or two in transfer efforts.

Or its a statement saying that based on last year they expect to get some knock backs.

The Old Tolbooth

Ah, the good old myth that Suso went missing. Complete and utter shite.

This, in spades! 

The Spanish market is a good one to target. They play fast moving possession based football. They have excellent vision and usually have a hunger to succeed.

The other main thing is value for money. Many Spanish clubs struggle financially. Outside of the top la Liga clubs and especially in the lower leagues prize money is very poor as is TV revenue.

It leaves the door open to many potential bargains and I'm sure many players would love a chance to get a crack at a better wage in England, a club like ours puts them in that shop window.

Interesting that we want another striker as well as getting reilly in.

It tells me that the management team feel they are missing that 20 goal a season striker that is needed to get you into the top 3. It's easy saying Sow or Keatings could do it but the fact remains they haven't whether it is quality or injuries the reasons are irrelevant it didn't happen for them in the championship.

I just wonder if that is why Sow was played out wide during the seasons end. Robbie is looking for a striker that is beyond doubt going to hit goals like Zeefuik did but perhaps with more than that to his game as well.

Tony Soprano

It tells me that the management team feel they are missing that 20 goal a season striker that is needed to get you into the top 3. It's easy saying Sow or Keatings could do it but the fact remains they haven't whether it is quality or injuries the reasons are irrelevant it didn't happen for them in the championship.

I just wonder if that is why Sow was played out wide during the seasons end. Robbie is looking for a striker that is beyond doubt going to hit goals like Zeefuik did but perhaps with more than that to his game as well.

Reilly can play out wide and maybe that's Neilson's vision for him other than bringing in an out and out striker. That would explain why he is also talking to other strikers.

Jamboscanbevicius

This is a decent point. Sow is excellent but I just don't think anyone can see him playing a whole season without time out!

At times we will go 2 up top, but will be interesting to see who we bring in to complement what we have.

Good to see work being done early... RN's comments do not sound overly optimistic on these deals though!

CollyWolly

I wonder if we are thinking of playing an interchangeable and rotated 3 up front next season. Sow, Reilly and Walker for example. That would leave us looking at a solid 3 in centre midfield with no width and King and Nicholson scrapping for game time. Not sure it works with current personnel unless we are really ripping up the page and starting again.

kingantti1874

It seems as if the club want to add a small number of high caliber players which is great news.. I do hope we follow the lead of Aberdeen and try and snaffle some of the best available talent from our rivals.. Stevie May would be a great shout

jamboinglasgow

This is a decent point. Sow is excellent but I just don't think anyone can see him playing a whole season without time out!

At times we will go 2 up top, but will be interesting to see who we bring in to complement what we have.

Good to see work being done early... RN's comments do not sound overly optimistic on these deals though!

I think he is being realistic, we are trying for players pf higher calibre than really we should (Levein has said that they are aiming high in their signings so resillance is required to get players) so we will be knocked back often but if we try enough players and give the time to explain the benefits then we should get a few.

I would say its positive that Robbie spoke to them last week and they have not rejected it, shows they are seriously thinking about it. They may not happen like quite few transfer attempts this summer but I know the ones we do get will be fully scouted and fully researched and will make a positive impact to the club.

Tasavallan

Smart move from RN, can get his holiday flights back on the expenses!

Tax free as well.

heartsfc_fan

Guess:

We'll sign a Spanish centre back and a striker.

Jambof3tornado

Guess:

Last decent spanish cb to play in the Uk? Cant think of many. Dirty big german for me!!!

Alan Johnson

Last decent spanish cb to play in the Uk? Cant think of many. Dirty big german for me!!!

Gerard-Pique-Barcelona-vs-Chelsea-Press-

jamboinglasgow

Carlos Cuellar was a great center back for Rangers and played over 100 games in the English premier league.

Paul cherry

Picked up some chat on here about a Croatian centre half....what's the basis for that?

jamboinglasgow

Picked up some chat on here about a Croatian centre half....what's the basis for that?

Story two weeks ago in the papers that we are after Niko Datkovic, but we will have to stump up ?350k for him. He is 22 years old and playing in Serie B in Italy. Nothing since then.

Jambof3tornado

Carlos Cuellar was a great center back for Rangers and played over 100 games in the English premier league.

He was the only one that jumped out at me too. Not many of them though.

Paul cherry

Story two weeks ago in the papers that we are after Niko Datkovic, but we will have to stump up ?350k for him. He is 22 years old and playing in Serie B in Italy. Nothing since then.

Ah right, thank you.

The club he was on loan to made the playoffs of the Italian Seria B, I imagine he'll wait to see how they get on before making a decision on his future.

CollyWolly

Who was that wee felly that played for St Mirren a few years back ?

Edit: Victor. That was him but he might have been a midfield player

CollyWolly

Cancel that I think I might be imagining that a former renowned Spanish international defender played for St Mirren for a while.

Pistol1874

Victor Munoz?

punkrockcroc

If players don't want to buy into Robbie's idea of training 3 times a day then they must be lazy b'astards and can GTF.

Cancel that I think I might be imagining that a former renowned Spanish international defender played for St Mirren for a while.

no - Victor played for St Mirren early 90s iirc ; saw him a few times

portobellojambo1

Guess:

I'd heard a story two/three weeks back that we were interested in a Spanish left back and I think it was German centre half mentioned (or could have been a centre half playing for a German club, cannot honestly remember). Also heard again today that we have basically left it with QoS in terms of Reilly, they are looking for 6 figures as a development fee, and we ain't willing to negotiate, if QoS come back with a much, much lower development fee it could get off the ground. I imagine if the Spanish striker is slightly more experienced we don't really need to bring in two strikers, we have other forward players on our books we can continue to work with and progress.

Bazzas right boot

Ancelloti sacked,then Robbie heads off to Spain for signing talks.....

2+2 =4,458,586

CollyWolly

no - Victor played for St Mirren early 90s iirc ; saw him a few times

Yes that's him. He was a midfield player though, not a centre half. Didn't the story go that He lost some coin toss or some daft paper hammer scissors type game to Steve Archibald and the penance was he had to play for St Mirren for six months. Again this could be my memory playing tricks on me

Yes that's him. He was a midfield player though, not a centre half. Didn't the story go that He lost some coin toss or some daft paper hammer scissors type game to Steve Archibald and the penance was he had to play for St Mirren for six months. Again this could be my memory playing tricks on me

might have been! - Steve Archibald was team mate at Barcelona and I think can be quite persuasive

St Mirren did do some bold moves

Cuellar at rangers wasn't to shabby

Archived