Robbie off to Spain for summer signing talks

davieholt

I thought Levein was in charge of transfer negotiations?

I think the process is that the scouts identify potential signings to CL and he gives them the once over before passing the details to Robbie if they fit the clubs criteria.

Robbie will then be given the lowdown and if he is interested then he will have a look and decide if he wants the player.

The final details of a contract etc will be done by CL but Robbie will know how much is in the kitty for all the players he needs so the more he spends on the first one the less he has to spend on the rest.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

I think the process is that the scouts identify potential signings to CL and he gives them the once over before passing the details to Robbie if they fit the clubs criteria.

Robbie will then be given the lowdown and if he is interested then he will have a look and decide if he wants the player.

The final details of a contract etc will be done by CL but Robbie will know how much is in the kitty for all the players he needs so the more he spends on the first one the less he has to spend on the rest.

Yup, plus if we are trying to sign the player and persuade him to move to Hearts, having the coach come over and chat about how he would use the player and about the club can make a difference.

Also Robbie has mentioned before that Levein has often let Robbie handle signing talks as part of Robbie's learning of being a coach/manager.

Love this time of year. It feels so good to be making signings again. I am very confident of some quality players coming in this summer. Good times man, savour every klaxon.  :thumbsup:

True, the Klaxon going off is always a wonderful thing. Just wish they would throw us one name for now, so he can talk about it and (if they are available) see videos of the player. Think there is still 5 weeks until the players come back for pre-season. So a new player announced every 2-3 weeks is enough...

the geezer

I think ' - which means you don't have a scooby doo ..

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Yup, plus if we are trying to sign the player and persuade him to move to Hearts, having the coach come over and chat about how he would use the player and about the club can make a difference.

Also Robbie has mentioned before that Levein has often let Robbie handle signing talks as part of Robbie's learning of being a coach/manager.

True, the Klaxon going off is always a wonderful thing. Just wish they would throw us one name for now, so he can talk about it and (if they are available) see videos of the player. Think there is still 5 weeks until the players come back for pre-season. So a new player announced every 2-3 weeks is enough...

Ah, a fellow idealist! :D

Tell you what. A much maligned player at times but gave his absolute all and played a huge part on the 19th May 2012.

If we can find a few of similar ability and heart this Summer, I'll be delighted.

I've nothing but fond memories of Suso Santana.

Same. I've never seen a player run himself into the ground more in a game than Suso away at Falkirk in the LC defeat. He was everywhere.

As you've said, he was also massive on 19/5/12. I remember some pundit calling him our worst ever signing after a few games of his first season. Awful shout.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Same. I've never seen a player run himself into the ground more in a game than Suso away at Falkirk in the LC defeat. He was everywhere.

As you've said, he was also massive on 19/5/12. I remember some pundit calling him our worst ever signing after a few games of his first season. Awful shout.

Preston and Robbo said it on Sportsound. Love Robbo, but never disagreed so much about a player. The guy did divide opinion though.

Seymour M Hersh

"Midfield not a priority" suggests there may be something already sorted out in that area. Hopefully Pallardo. Or that guy from the Hobos maybe...

Beith will be fighting for a place.

I didn't understand the initial seeth about Suso.

It was clear he had potential and determination. He was just a bit raw.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Former poster with a pseudo of a war time prime minister got pished with his mates at a pre-season friendly in Germany and decided he was shite, told Kickback, lots of posters ignored his performances and ability that they could see with their own eyes, Suso eventually picked up a hernia and then his performances while struggling with it gave folk a great opportunity to insist he was always shite.

That was my interpretation of events. While all this was going on, he was grabbing goals, assists, drawing fouls and generally causing mayhem in opposition defences and boxes.

All about opinions though, I suppose. :lol:

correct. An early fine individual goal at Parkhead proved what you point out.

Anyone with a brain could see he was a player through the early inconsistency.

CollyWolly

Former poster with a pseudo of a war time prime minister got pished with his mates at a pre-season friendly in Germany and decided he was shite, told Kickback, lots of posters ignored his performances and ability that they could see with their own eyes, Suso eventually picked up a hernia and then his performances while struggling with it gave folk a great opportunity to insist he was always shite.

That was my interpretation of events. While all this was going on, he was grabbing goals, assists, drawing fouls and generally causing mayhem in opposition defences and boxes.

All about opinions though, I suppose. :lol:

Wow to the powers of that poster who told us a player was shite and it was automatically accepted as gospel. that's a special man.

Suso, for what it's worth, was a stereotypical winger. Lots of times he was just anonymous and nothing came off and he looked a poor player. When it did come off and he had a head of steam, he was a wonderful player. You can apply the stereotype to many wingers we have had over the years. Prentice, Valois and Driver to name but 3.

Phil Dunphy

Suso would walk into this team and a lot of Hearts teams of the past 10 years.

Wingers consistency is in my opinion a lot to do with the quality of opposition they are up against. Some days the matchup is totally mismatched in the wingers favor. Other days the full back/wide midfielder/supporting defense just give the poor winger absolutely nothing.

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

Ah, the good old myth that Suso went missing. Complete and utter shite.

Wingers consistency is in my opinion a lot to do with the quality of opposition they are up against. Some days the matchup is totally mismatched in the wingers favor. Other days the full back/wide midfielder/supporting defense just give the poor winger absolutely nothing.

true, but there's also an element where team mates stand back and admire the winger rather than helping him. They expect him to produce the goods time and again unsupported.

You often see this, not just at Hearts , but at any team who has a good winger and it frustrates.

Of course there will be days where the winger isn't getting past a stubborn full back or getting those balls over he normally does but a lot of the time it's because he doesn't have a team mate up with him causing a distraction to defences who are doubling up.

To get the best from a winger , support him, don't sit back and expect him to produce wonders every time.

Suso would walk into this team and a lot of Hearts teams of the past 10 years.

He was like Black in many ways, when he had his football head on he was a very good player but when it was his moody petulant head on he would be better sitting in the house.

King prawn

dfbfaab786763c4c750b5c65a7d24a78.jpg

Ok here goes....

I thought Suso was an average player who had the odd moment of brilliance but also had a tendency to sulk around the pitch when things weren't going his way.  

Ok here goes....

I thought Suso was an average player who had the odd moment of brilliance but also had a tendency to sulk around the pitch when things weren't going his way.

Not far away from where I am/was with him.

Jambof3tornado

Ok here goes....

Thats not even a stolen photo is it?? You've spent 2 hours being bubble wrapped just to make a point on jkb.

Top work.

King prawn

Thats not even a stolen photo is it?? You've spent 2 hours being bubble wrapped just to make a point on jkb.

Top work.

It's actually Petrie trying to lead easter road at the end of last season ;)

Lord Beni of Gorgie

First season he was here he was absolutely mince through the winter. Played well his last season quite common pattern

Guest Bilel Mohsni

First season he was here he was absolutely mince through the winter. Played well his last season quite common pattern

2009 he put in man of the match performances v Bolton and Sunderland. He was joint top goal scorer that season too, setting up loads along the way. The only time his performances dipped were when he picked up a hernia, and when he returned from that injury. He was also a lot more consistent than Driver when he came back and Templeton and Novikovas. In the 3-4 years he was here, he was the most effective and least erratic of our wingers, imo.

Gigolo-Aunt

Not far away from where I am/was with him.

And me.

Thought his attitude at times on the pitch was really poor as well.

Unknown user

2009 he put in man of the match performances v Bolton and Sunderland. He was joint top goal scorer that season too, setting up loads along the way. The only time his performances dipped were when he picked up a hernia, and when he returned from that injury. He was also a lot more consistent than Driver when he came back and Templeton and Novikovas. In the 3-4 years he was here, he was the most effective and least erratic of our wingers, imo.

I'm on board with the good ship Charlie

Alan Johnson

Was it not Suso's first season that he scored against Hibs, Celtic and Rangers? Seem to remember him being the first Hearts player to do that in the same season for a long time.

I think ' - which means you don't have a scooby doo ..

Ok I was just saying it this way so as not to  sound like a smart arse but since you mention it then I actually know what I am talking about and stick by what I said previously  so I do have  scooby doo which means absolutely **** all in any form.

CollyWolly

I think it's more likely to be along the lines of 1. Agents send CL CV plus DVD. 2. CL deletes most of them but makes a short list of those who might fit 3. Discusses with RN and does more research then makes contact. 4. Interviews player and his representative. 5 deals with his club if needs be 6. Signs it up if a deal can be reached.

I know we have a scouting system of sorts buts it's small and fairly local and for the most part they are out looking in the 12-15 age group. We do have people who could go and look at a senior player/prospect of course but I don't think we have a network of scouts speculatively traipsing across europe and beyond trying to unearth gems.

Ok here goes....

I see what you're getting at and won't get any seethe from me but I completely disagree. He was one of the few players in that very toothless squad that attacked the opposition and set up goals well.

I think his sulking was just the way he was and wasn't comfortable until he was running at the opposition. I remember seeing him in the 2 friendlies against Bolton and Sunderland when we first signed him and he looked really good. I don't think he turned out to be as good as I thought he would be but still enjoyed watching him run down the wing and terrorise a full-back.

SectionDJambo

I loved Suso for his attitude towards the, so called, hard men of the opposition. Never backed off from them. He would stare them out, then be a pest by chasing and harrying them.

I think we got great value from him. We could have done with him during 2013/14. The Falkirk game and cup final, were shining examples of his tenacity.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

stopped reading at Bolton and Sunderland

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Stats don't tell whole stories. Derek Lyle would be better than Osman Sow. He was poor first season some real stinkers

Nah, he had a great first season, and struggled after he picked up a hernia.

franko1874

Jairo Morillas

Good shout, is that a guess or are you in the know?

Brick Tamland

Good shout, is that a guess or are you in the know?

Ha, I'm definitely not in the know but reserve the right to claim to be if he signspost-1118-0-13773200-1431987004_thumb.jpg

Four faces

Talking of suso.my judgement of wingers used to and still does, change game by game.it's just the nature of the position they play.it's only when they leave do i appreciate whether they were any good.it's an unfair way to evaluate a player but there you go.when i started taking my boy to the games,he immediately took to suso.he was dynamic in some ways.very present and game.suso's tricks and quick feet drew my boy's interest and because of this i found myself getting drawn towards him too.mind you.he quite liked obua at that time aswell:D.

Jairo Morillas

Could be a good shout. I see he is out of contract on 30 June this year and has a decent pedigree, capped at under 18 level for Spain and is over 6ft tall and only 21.

davidirracional

probably there are a lot of spanish players in 2?b (is the third division with 4 groups, 80 teams), who can play very well in SPL (for example like reguero, sandaza, suso etc etc)

the are good players in historic teams like cadiz, oviedo, hercules, logro?es etc etc, or many youth players in the youth teams of athletic, real sociedad, espanyol, sevilla etc). Which competete in legal division (not like in britian)

Moreover, the salaries are lower than Scottland (comparing whit 2? and 2? b Spanish divisions)

PsychocAndy

Xavi is being released by Braca.

sent by my phone using an enhanced Stephen Hawking like voice

I think it's more likely to be along the lines of 1. Agents send CL CV plus DVD. 2. CL deletes most of them but makes a short list of those who might fit 3. Discusses with RN and does more research then makes contact. 4. Interviews player and his representative. 5 deals with his club if needs be 6. Signs it up if a deal can be reached.

I know we have a scouting system of sorts buts it's small and fairly local and for the most part they are out looking in the 12-15 age group. We do have people who could go and look at a senior player/prospect of course but I don't think we have a network of scouts speculatively traipsing across europe and beyond trying to unearth gems.

I know for a fact John Murray is a fan of Wyscout so I wouldn't be surprised if most of our foreign players are sourced initially through that.

CL tweeting tonight in answer to a Q that we are very much aiming high re targets and persistance is very much under-rated or words to that effect :)

Bring Back Paulo Sergio

CL tweeting tonight in answer to a Q that we are very much aiming high re targets and persistance is very much under-rated or words to that effect :)

Fantastic

What he said was"@CraigWLevein: @Stenbizz on the case. Aiming high as always and will get a few knock backs but will keep going. Resilience is often underrated.

Which makes me think we have had a knock back or two in transfer efforts.

jamboinglasgow

What he said was"@CraigWLevein: @Stenbizz on the case. Aiming high as always and will get a few knock backs but will keep going. Resilience is often underrated.

Which makes me think we have had a knock back or two in transfer efforts.

We had that a lot last year in getting knocked back, but I agree with his view, try for big signings and you will eventually get a few. Sadly it sounds like nothing lined up to be unveiled any time soon.

Archived