Ryan McGowan

alicante jambo

alicante jambo

Lovethe big fella.Will never forget his celebration on that great day in May and his celebration dance in woodburn miners on the following Sunday night.Genuinly decent bloke aswell.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heartofgold

Incredibly overrated football player.

Not the first or the last for that matter.

Agree in part. He was fit and strong but has no football about him

Slightly unfair, a good honest player wholehearted bags of commitment and a great team player, definitely limited skill wise, but the fact he played in the world cup for Australia who have a good pool of talent to choose from proves to me than he has much more to offer than you suggest.

Gigolo-Aunt

Slightly unfair, a good honest player wholehearted bags of commitment and a great team player, definitely limited skill wise, but the fact he played in the world cup for Australia who have a good pool of talent to choose from proves to me than he has much more to offer than you suggest.

And that's all he is.

fabienleclerq

This is going to become a JKB thing to say.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Not seen him play for years now so no idea if he is any better or any worse tbh.

manaliveits105

Legend and his pass in the wc for what I thought was the goal of the tournament would suggest he is more than competent

alicante jambo

Played for us and won Scottish cup.Played for Australia at the World Cup and now plays for a decent Dundee utd team.Tells me he's a decent player

Yup, just like any fan favourite there will be some wise guy telling you he's incredibly over rated.

Alan Johnson

Not really. When he moved to China this place was full of people saying that he was good enough to play for an EPL side. No idea how he's been playing for Dundee United, but the fact that that's where he ended up when he was available on a free suggests that he was overrated by many on here. Good athlete and will always put a shift in but not particularly gifted technically.

Gigolo-Aunt

Yup, just like any fan favourite there will be some wise guy telling you he's shite.

Cant recall anyone saying he is shite

Stop making things up

davemclaren

Patterson reminds me of Ryan, plenty effort but a wee bit rough and ready. Good players to have in yoiur team as they never stop trying.

fabienleclerq

Not really. When he moved to China this place was full of people saying that he was good enough to play for an EPL side. No idea how he's been playing for Dundee United, but the fact that that's where he ended up when he was available on a free suggests that he was overrated by many on here. Good athlete and will always put a shift in but not particularly gifted technically.

There's plenty very average players in the premiership.

kingantti1874

In scottish football terms Ryan McGowan is more than good enough, and his commitment and effort raise him above most other right backs in Scotland

He,s certainly not shy in telling celtic to shut up.Ive always liked that about him.never shirks responsibility.would have been a decent captain imo

You guys realise that Gig isn't having a go at Ryan McGowan? He's having a go people who think he's a great player, despite the fact that he's not. These people then replying by either saying "ryan's a great guy" or "stop saying ryan's shite." 

He's a pretty limited footballer who gives his all, and seems a nice guy. For most on kickback that's enough; see Brad McKay and James Keatings.

He's really not overrated.

Won the Scottish cup with a Hearts team that had the best defence in Scotland, and has played at a World Cup against the likes of Robben, Xavi and Sanchez.

Paterson is pretty much a younger version and will get to that level one day. McGowan's a better player but they're both extremely athletic footballers.

He hates Hibs too.

Patterson reminds me of Ryan, plenty effort but a wee bit rough and ready. Good players to have in yoiur team as they never stop trying.

Paterson is a far superior football player.

You guys realise that Gig isn't having a go at Ryan McGowan? He's having a go people who think he's a great player, despite the fact that he's not. These people then replying by either saying "ryan's a great guy" or "stop saying ryan's shite." 

He's a pretty limited footballer who gives his all, and seems a nice guy. For most on kickback that's enough; see Brad McKay and James Keatings.

no one on this thread has said he is a great player, folk have said he is a good player, which he is. To say he is incredibly over rated is just a lie, and an attempt to get a rise out of people, like he always does.

no one on this thread has said he is a great player, folk have said he is a good player, which he is. To say he is incredibly over rated is just a lie, and an attempt to get a rise out of people, like he always does.

Think you need to calm down mate. Nothing wrong with what GA said. 

Alan Johnson

There's plenty very average players in the premiership.

Maybe the case, but I didn't see any EPL (or even English Championship sides) moving for him when he was available for free a few months ago. Think people look back on him fondly because he seems like a good bloke and liked to wind up Hibs fans. He's a solid enough right back but doesn't offer anywhere near enough going forward to play at a higher level IMO.

? is there any need for that?

There's not really much point in coming on a forum if you're not allowed to critique a player's ability...

Think you need to calm down mate. Nothing wrong with what GA said.

Hahahaha, what a surprise, you've turned up to back up your wee mate.

Hahahaha, what a surprise, you've turned up to back up your wee mate.

Don't turn this personal mate. I just happen to agree with what he says. Ryan Mcgowan is nowhere near as good as some people on here think.

I think he's better now than he was when he was with us first time. He is as described above. it wouldn't break my heart if he came back but I can't see it.

Gigolo-Aunt

:cornette:

A good part of the thread agrees with me.

Average player who done a turn for us.

I'm not sure how long he can dine out on playing a diagonal ball in the World Cup.   Being back in Scotland with Dundee United would suggest not very long.

I'm afraid hating "Hibs" only gets you so far.

:cornette:

A good part of the thread agrees with me.

Average player who done a turn for us.

I'm not sure how long he can dine out on playing a diagonal ball in the World Cup.   Being back in Scotland with Dundee United would suggest not very long.

I'm afraid hating "Hibs" only gets you so far.

Most of the thread thinks he's a good player, which he is, he's not OVER rated he is rated and rightly so.

Decent player and would be an option for our squad next season if we want someone with a bit of experience who can play a number of positions, is always going to put in a shift and is unlikely to let anyone down, given he is playing for Dundee Utd his salary must be affordable for us. Ideally Robbie has some even better options lined up for next season but he would do a job for us.  

Don't turn this personal mate. I just happen to agree with what he says. Ryan Mcgowan is nowhere near as good as some people on here think.

Cool buddy, I'll take your word for it.

No one on this thread says he's a great player. Lots of people elsewhere have said he's a great player, however. Gig says he's overrated.

And yet you seem to have a problem with this.

Marooned In Oz

In scottish football terms Ryan McGowan is more than good enough, and his commitment and effort raise him above most other right backs in Scotland

For me , McGowan should be playing centre half. By far his best position in my opinion

Robbie Neilson

Good guy. Good player. More than decent enough for the SPL. Never going to be a world beater, but he'd get a game for every team in the SPL except Celtic

Gigolo-Aunt

Most of the thread thinks he's a good player, which he is, he's not OVER rated he is rated and rightly so.

I'm sorry but I find it hard to take you seriously after making things up earlier in the thread.

Will leave it at that.

Alan Johnson

he's not OVER rated he is rated and rightly so.

What is this even supposed to mean?

Robbie Neilson

Decent player and would be an option for our squad next season if we want someone with a bit of experience who can play a number of positions, is always going to put in a shift and is unlikely to let anyone down, given he is playing for Dundee Utd his salary must be affordable for us. Ideally Robbie has some even better options lined up for next season but he would do a job for us.  

Number of positions? Like attacking midfield?

_64994207_john_mcglynn.jpg

No one on this thread says, he's a great player. Lots of people elsewhere have said he's a great player, however. Gig says he's overrated.

And yet you seem to have a problem with this.

I do have a problem with it yes, he's not over rated.

Archived