Who will be the next big Scottish band

Jamboy81

Ireland have had Snow Patrol, The Script, Thin Lizzy and Westlife. In Wales I can think of Stereophonics and The Manic Street Preachers.

We've had Deacon Blue, Franz Ferdinand, Texas and a few more but nobody new for a while, We're probably due someone to hit the big time, would be nice if they were from Edinburgh.

I reckon Twin Atlantic are pretty good not aware of many more though.

Ireland have had Snow Patrol, The Script, Thin Lizzy and Westlife. In Wales I can think of Stereophonics and The Manic Street Preachers.

We've had Deacon Blue, Franz Ferdinand, Texas and a few more but nobody new for a while, We're probably due someone to hit the big time, would be nice if they were from Edinburgh.

Scotland has a tremendous music scene at the moment. Check out the last few years of the Scottish Album Of The Year Award for proof.

Not sure I'd be using a band like The Script as a yardstick though. Horrible MOR pish.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Scotland has a tremendous music scene at the moment. Check out the last few years of the Scottish Album Of The Year Award for proof.

Not sure I'd be using a band like The Script as a yardstick though. Horrible MOR pish.

Westlife are shit, too.

Biffy Clyro went massive a few years ago.

Headlining festivals and the like.

And idlewild were pretty big for a while.

The scottish music scene is great. it doesnt bother me if a band gets 'big'.

it was better when i could go see biffy at the liquid rooms for a fiver

as well as a couple of pretty obvious ones over last decade (idlewild, biffy) its safe to say Calvin Harris is absolutely massive now.

if you are looking for a 'new' band to check out though.

get Carnivores album 'lets get metaphysical'. they are from paisley. I dont necessarily think they'll make it 'big' in relation to the other names you have mentioned but they are excellent. 

All roads lead to Gorgie

I still hope Frightened Rabbit can do an Elbow and become really big. If Mumford and Son can make it in a folk rock way surely there's a place for what FR do on the big stage.

as well as a couple of pretty obvious ones over last decade (idlewild, biffy) its safe to say Calvin Harris is absolutely massive now.

if you are looking for a 'new' band to check out though.

get Carnivores album 'lets get metaphysical'. they are from paisley. I dont necessarily think they'll make it 'big' in relation to the other names you have mentioned but they are excellent.

I really liked Idlewild, remember they had a song on FIFA 2003 which I think done well but they didn't do much after. I seen them doing some free gig down at the Parliament c. 2007/2008 and they were pretty good.

I liked a lot of Calvin Harris' stuff when he first broke through around 2006 and some of his stuff after when he first made it big was still decent. Harsh reality is now though, his music if guff. Mainstream, americanised guff.

With the sort of music you seem to need to produce to be as big as most of the bands in the OP, i can't see why anyone would want to be big, unless they just wanted to be big for the sake of being big,

BIG, BIG, BIG.

Rupert Pupkin

Son's and Daughters should be more popular than they are, imo.

Son's and Daughters should be more popular than they are, imo.

I don't think you'll see them doing anything any time soon. Unless it's just Adele and a new band.

Wales have actually produced a few excellent bands over the years too like the Super Furries

But dear God Franz Ferdinand and Texas are both chronic and the less said about Twin Atlantic the better.

chester copperpot

Glasvegas are in my top 5 favourite bands of all time and I'm glad they haven't went bigger.

Not everyone's cup of tea but couldn't give 2 hoots as I think they're brilliant.

Doctor FinnBarr

Wales have actually produced a few excellent bands over the years too like the Super Furries

But dear God Franz Ferdinand and Texas are both chronic and the less said about Twin Atlantic the better.

Texas were good in their early days (late 80s)

Archived