Ian Cathro in Sportsound

jambovambo

Lordy

A) he's only 28 ... so mature for the age

B ) they're bumming him up about The Rangers job

Have a listen-back

Also included Richard Wilson saying "if Robbie Neilson leaves Hearts I can really see Ian Cathro coming there, what with his connections with Craig Levein"

Unknown user

Also included Richard Wilson saying "if Robbie Neilson leaves Hearts I can really see Ian Cathro coming there, what with his connections with Craig Levein"

He's the one guy Levein would break the succession plan for I reckon

He's the one guy Levein would break the succession plan for I reckon

He's WAY above our level now unfortunately. It would be astonishing if we were ever to land him. He's going to be doing the rounds at the very top clubs in Europe before long

He's WAY above our level now unfortunately. It would be astonishing if we were ever to land him. He's going to be doing the rounds at the very top clubs in Europe before long

Maybe's aye maybe's naw...he has said on countless occasions his first gig as the main man will be in an english speaking (first language) country....

The interviewer was desperate for him to say yes to the Rangers job, not only deeply disrespectful of McCall but yet another example of the West Coast Media's clamour for something, anything to happen at Ibrox. Sounded to me that he would be more interested in a challenge in England or stay abroad rather than come to cold dreary Glasgow. He also seems to be looking at starting from scratch with a club, laying out his own plans and structure so I doubt he would be interested in coming to us as Robbie and Craig have already laid the foundations and will hopefully continue for a few years to build up our future.

Unknown user

Normally I'd agree but I think Mr Levein's aiming pretty high and he certainly has Cathro trust

Listened to this last night.

Now I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing, but he certainly comes across as someone who, if they were chocolate, would eat themselves.

I actually half expected him to start talkin about himself in the third person!!

Still, as I say, it was no more than an observation. In general it was a decent interview in which he came across well. As others have said tho, the determination of the interviewer (Richard Wilson) to link Cathro with Rangers was cringeworthy.

Anyway, that's the thoughts of Mr Sifter on the issue ;-)

I'll be interested to see him in his first job. Up till now he's talked a great game, can he produce though?

My guess is that Cathro won't replace Neilson. My guess is that Cathro was asked before Neilson. I've no evidence for this, by the way.

Media love the guy, talk him up big style. Be very interesting to see how he gets on with his managerial career

jamboinglasgow

My guess is that Cathro won't replace Neilson. My guess is that Cathro was asked before Neilson. I've no evidence for this, by the way.

Cathro was close to becoming our Under 20 coach this season, Levein managed to talk him around to it but when Valencia came it ended that.

Big Slim Stylee

I think that might be a very astute guess.  Makes a lot of sense on lots of levels.

Cathro was close to becoming our Under 20 coach this season, Levein managed to talk him around to it but when Valencia came it ended that.

Pretty sure he would have had  something to do with Pallardo and will be advising us on the new one in the picture Merida

Robbie Neilson

Folk should really get their heads round the fact that Cathro wont ever be Hearts manager, and drop their fascination with him coming here

Folk should really get their heads round the fact that Cathro wont ever be Hearts manager, and drop their fascination with him coming here

Exactly !

We are fine as we are . If it aint broke dont fix it.

Exactly !

We are fine as we are . If it aint broke dont fix it.

Indeed, if Cathro is to be the next Mourinho, then I suspect Levein is more interested in the next Cathro...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Can't see Mourihno doing much better than Robbie this season. Who would have done better. 9 points, seriously, what a performance

I've heard this a lot from our own support and in the media. Is there much truth behind Robbie going in the summer. To me it'd make sense to manage here for another 2 or 3 seasons, get into Europe, maybe win a cup, then go. Is there anyone looking at him? Rumours or not.

Guest oldcastlerock2012

There's every chance given the Levein connection that we could be perfect for his first manager job in a year or two (assuming Robbie keeps up the good work and gets an offer down south).

He seems a sensible sort with a career plan so might not want to take a bigger job too early.

scots civil war

nuno the valencia coach is forging a great career in management in la liga,he is highly regarded..valencia are great to watch n all

cathro wont leave that sort of shit surely

Seymour M Hersh

Pretty sure he would have had  something to do with Pallardo and will be advising us on the new one in the picture Merida

Don't think so. CL has known Pallardo's agent for some time. I think thats the link.

Seymour M Hersh

nuno the valencia coach is forging a great career in management in la liga,he is highly regarded..valencia are great to watch n all

I'd also add perhaps people should wait until he's the actual manager/head coach of a club for a year or two before announcing him as the 2nd coming.  You only have to look at coaches with superb records on the training falling flat when they become the top bod. 

The_razors_edge

As I've already alluded to on previous IC threads I used to coach for him. I can tell you he holds CL in very high esteem. After all he was the one who showed trust and faith in IC to establish and develop his own youth development system at United. I'm sure if you asked IC who his biggest influence was CL would be up there. He would probably credit him as one of the people responsible for putting him where he is today. I for one would not be surprised if IC ended up managing HMFC under CL'a directorship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Widely speculated but I didn't see anything to substantiate it.

It's possible like, but the more I think about it, the more I think he may have been offered the gig.

Unknown user

It's possible like, but the more I think about it, the more I think he may have been offered the gig.

The Taca de Portugal final was on 18th May, Rio Ave were playing, Cathro was still assistant there at the time and Robbie was already in charge at Hearts.

Before the final people were asking Levein about Cathro on Twitter and in the couple of days before it he said "ask me on Monday"

He was clearly hinting that there was contact between us and him after Robbie was appointed and the implication appeared to be that he was trying to get him on staff

As I've already alluded to on previous IC threads I used to coach for him. I can tell you he holds CL in very high esteem. After all he was the one who showed trust and faith in IC to establish and develop his own youth development system at United. I'm sure if you asked IC who his biggest influence was CL would be up there. He would probably credit him as one of the people responsible for putting him where he is today. I for one would not be surprised if IC ended up managing HMFC under CL'a directorship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask you what you thought of his methods and if he is all he cracked up to be mate? As my sons get older and are playing in clubs I would love to get involved in coaching a boys team in a year or two if I ever get the time to commit to a whole season (I travel for work three or four times a year at present). If you can be ersed I would also love to know what he does differently. My oldest plays U12 the now and it always amazes me how some kids don't even know the basics e.g. where they need to be positioned on the pitch etc. and how some coaches shout tactics that some much older kids would struggle to understand.

The next hearts manager will be Stuart Baxter, everyone knows that.

Whit ? Has Ruud's taxi finally arrived ?

I'd also add perhaps people should wait until he's the actual manager/head coach of a club for a year or two before announcing him as the 2nd coming. You only have to look at coaches with superb records on the training falling flat when they become the top bod.

I kind of agree and disagree.

He does seem highly thought of and respected, more so in Europe, and he does seem to be on the same wave length as Levein, which would be an advantage.

However, you are right about a good coach does not automatically mean they will be a good manager/first team coach in their own right. Rix was, and is a good coach, but could not cut it as manager. You could say the same about McGlynn, too.

I suspect, though, in Cathro's case, we would not get him (if we were to be interested), if we wait until he is established.

Would rather have Robbie. Cathro sounds like he'd eat himself if he was made of chocolate.

He was very close to becoming our u-20s coach but the Valencia job came up which u can't blame him for taking. Levein obviously rates him very highly and Levein has a good eye for a good coach but at the end of the day he offered Robbie the first team job and cathro the 20's so who does he rate higher?

The Taca de Portugal final was on 18th May, Rio Ave were playing, Cathro was still assistant there at the time and Robbie was already in charge at Hearts.

Before the final people were asking Levein about Cathro on Twitter and in the couple of days before it he said "ask me on Monday"

He was clearly hinting that there was contact between us and him after Robbie was appointed and the implication appeared to be that he was trying to get him on staff

I did wonder that at the time, but we decided it was because of Cathro. It could've equally been any other prospective number two.

When Robbie was appointed I mind PMing a mate on here saying that I wasn't sure about him and that he was maybe just going to be a 'yes man' for CL who would be pulling all the strings. I am the first one to admit he has done a brilliant job and thoroughly deserves a shot at the SPL. Personally I would not swap him for anyone at the moment, he has the momentum going and the players clearly respond to him, it all makes sense now why they got rid of the old pros considering they often do triple sessions, it was a big gamble to get rid of them and rely on the youngsters and the new guys who had mostly never played in Scotland before, also he is extremely hard working and I am sure will already be making plans for next season. 

• 1 month later...

with Valencia winning this evening they have I believe confirmed 4th and a place in the Champions League qualifier

that is some achievement

Media love the guy, talk him up big style. Be very interesting to see how he gets on with his managerial career

Have to agree ... his reputation as a very good youth coach is well deserved, but his ability to develop and coach a squad of senior pros he has assembled is, as yet, unproven.  Clement at Real Madrid, although older, is in the same boat.

It came down to the wages not being suitable for Cathro at the time.

Sy

Spellczech

I find it a bit strange that just because some UK coaches work on the continent they must be better than UK based coaches. It's kind of like the obsession Scotland managers have for giving caps to any Scot who plays outside Scotland...

I find it a bit strange that just because some UK coaches work on the continent they must be better than UK based coaches. It's kind of like the obsession Scotland managers have for giving caps to any Scot who plays outside Scotland...

Bizarre post...

Anyone who is willing to go outside their comfort zone in the first instance having been considered good enough by others in a diff country and culture deserves recognition if they were to be directly compared to another of similar ability, whether player or coach and in general...

It shows character for a start to go beyond the norm and test yourself in a diverse environment from what you are use to...not enough in football terms have followed this path and if the opportunity comes about they would be foolish not to consider the option seriously...

Spellczech

Bizarre post...

Anyone who is willing to go outside their comfort zone in the first instance having been considered good enough by others in a diff country and culture deserves recognition if they were to be directly compared to another of similar ability, whether player or coach and in general...

It shows character for a start to go beyond the norm and test yourself in a diverse environment from what you are use to...not enough in football terms have followed this path and if the opportunity comes about they would be foolish not to consider the option seriously...

so just because I've lived and worked in Canada and Germany I am better than people who haven't?... And you say my post is bizarre lol

Saint Jambo

He was well very highly thought of before he left Scotland.

so just because I've lived and worked in Canada and Germany I am better than people who haven't?... And you say my post is bizarre lol

Think you need to read correctly and engage a thought process before typing...

Where in my post do I use the word better??

I spoke about recognition in the first instance...I said if you have two individuals who are comparable then due recognition should go to the person who has removed themself from their comfort zone to embrace a new culture and experience...stands to reason...

You did say that there is a culture in scotland of falling over anyone who automatically goes abroad and this was daft in your opinion...

A willingness to seek new experiences from your norm and open your mind to different methods attitudes and cultures is what life is pretty much about...it doesnt automatically make you 'better' at your profession but you would have to be an absolute idiot not to make it work in your favour...

Francis Albert

Am I the only person who has read nothing, heard nothing and knows nothing about Ian Cathro other than the regular threads on here bumming him up?

He may be incredibly mature for his age (although at 28 in most walks of life most people are about as mature as they are going to get)and have hugely impressed lots of people but until he gets responsibility for a club on his own his managerial qualities are untested.

Mentioned on a thread on Knees Up Mother Brown as a potential replacement for BFS. I tell you what I thought there were some optimists on here till I went on there. Some o the names mentioned make you chuckle. 

Spellczech

Think you need to read correctly and engage a thought process before typing...

Where in my post do I use the word better??

I spoke about recognition in the first instance...I said if you have two individuals who are comparable then due recognition should go to the person who has removed themself from their comfort zone to embrace a new culture and experience...stands to reason...

You did say that there is a culture in scotland of falling over anyone who automatically goes abroad and this was daft in your opinion...

A willingness to seek new experiences from your norm and open your mind to different methods attitudes and cultures is what life is pretty much about...it doesnt automatically make you 'better' at your profession but you would have to be an absolute idiot not to make it work in your favour...

but Cathro is being touted for Sevco job purely because he is working at a big club abroad, not because he is head coach there? These are not comparable roles. Very seldom does a support coach at a big club become a successful head coach at a big club without being head coach at a smaller club. Not everyone is Jose Mourinho! Cathro has potential but he's being overhyped...likewise nobody interviews for Scotland caps so why is playing in England a virtual guarantee of cap?

FarmerTweedy

The next hearts manager will be Stuart Baxter, everyone knows that.

No it won't, Nevio Scala is already staying at the Balmoral, waiting for Robbie to clear his desk!

Pans Jambo

Am I the only person who has read nothing, heard nothing and knows nothing about Ian Cathro other than the regular threads on here bumming him up?

He may be incredibly mature for his age (although at 28 in most walks of life most people are about as mature as they are going to get)and have hugely impressed lots of people but until he gets responsibility for a club on his own his managerial qualities are untested.

Im with you FA.

Never heard of the guy?

Did he manage Barcelona or something?

• 5 weeks later...

Archived