Seriously, BBC?

Doc Rob

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31721956

I apologise if there has already been a thread on this - I have looked but can't see one, and I could only find one oblique mention on the SevCo thread.

So the BBC decides to post an article about fan ownership in Scottish football. Fair enough - we have been setting a great example. After all, we all pitched in - more than once - to save the club when we went into admin. We have 8000+ fans pledging monthly to the Foundation. We have a clear business plan for the Foundation to pay back the loan from Queen Ann and for the club to become 100% fan owned.

So to whom do they give top billing? Rangers First, of course. 'The biggest fan ownership group in Britain'. Perhaps they are numerically, but:

1. Unlike the FoH, they didn't stop their club from dying

2. Unlike the FoH, they have no realistic prospect of actual fan ownership at all (they currently own 2.46% of shares and their target is to get one director on the board)

3. Given that their pledges start at ?5/month, I'm willing to bet our fans are actually putting more money in.

I thought the BBC couldn't disgust me any more than they already have, but they've managed it.

Bob Gristle

Don't pay your TV licence. They are scum, not just in a Glasgow-centric footballing sense

highlandjambo3

Here is the difference.................

Ricki Neill, Rangers First Quote:

"We've already had discussions with Dave King and some of the Three Bears and they all believe in fan involvement."...................... :bomb2:

Ian Murray MP, Foundation of Hearts Quote:

which is why every single model of fan ownership will be completely different for different clubs......................... :2thumbsup:

The fans will neve own Rangers................to many leaches ready to suck out any success that club reaches

Jambo-Jimbo

I apologise if there has already been a thread on this - I have looked but can't see one, and I could only find one oblique mention on the SevCo thread.

So the BBC decides to post an article about fan ownership in Scottish football. Fair enough - we have been setting a great example. After all, we all pitched in - more than once - to save the club when we went into admin. We have 8000+ fans pledging monthly to the Foundation. We have a clear business plan for the Foundation to pay back the loan from Queen Ann and for the club to become 100% fan owned.

So to whom do they give top billing? Rangers First, of course. 'The biggest fan ownership group in Britain'. Perhaps they are numerically, but:

2. Unlike the FoH, they have no realistic prospect of actual fan ownership at all (they currently own 2.46% of shares and their target is to get one director on the board)

3. Given that their pledges start at ?5/month, I'm willing to bet our fans are actually putting more money in.

I thought the BBC couldn't disgust me any more than they already have, but they've managed it.

What they forget is that Rangers First can never ever own Rangers unless they are willing to buy out every other shareholder if they ever manage to aquire more than 30% of the shares.

What they forget is that Rangers First can never ever own Rangers unless they are willing to buy out every other shareholder if they ever manage to aquire more than 30% of the shares.

They can never buy Rangers because the company that owns Rangers doesn't give a feck about football or Rangers. The statement from Lamont/BBC about Rangers fans is factually incorrect (or not understood or just misrepresented). Whatever it is that Rangers First is buying it is NOT buying shares in a football club. I'm not saying this just to nit pick , it's critical to understanding what Rangers is and how/why it acts the way it does.

Not only that , their spokesman talks about buying 10% of the shares to get a seat on the board. He doesn't seem to have a clue what has been done (or needs to be done) by fans at other clubs to make this work.

Top billing for Rangers presumably just s that it gets more hits.

I don't know why Lamont bothered to be honest.

Did you expect anything different. It's just more evidence that to the MSM it's all about the Old Firm.

Also that share trading is currently suspended. 

The Old Tolbooth

Let the bitters (BBC, The Rangers, the other erse cheek, they're all the same to me) all stew in their own bile and filth, we know what we have, we know it's a lot better than what The Rangers could ever dream of having, quite simply, because it works! :thumbsup: 

AllyjamboDerbyshire

To me it looks like the article was put together merely to shine a good light on 'Rangers' supporters after weeks of bad publicity for them and their club. It was not about fan-ownership but just an opportunity to form a list (league table) with TRFC at the top. There has always been fan-ownership at most football clubs of the type the 'Rangers' fans are indulging themselves in, and that is - fans who own shares in their club. That is all that is happening with RIFC, and, as has been pointed out previously, they are not even buying them in the club, instead it is in the holding company.

As ever, an article, published by the Glasgow media, that belongs on a 'Rangers' fan-site!

They also fail to mention Hibs at all. They've got 600 folk signed up after launching their own initiative.

Anybody any idea what sort of money the fans would have to come up with to buy all the shares? I realised that share values change all the time.

the rest of Scottish football are insignificant to the BBC when they get a chance to cover a story for one of these two - they only cover the rest at a near patronising, often quaint way albeit they do get lots of people on their shows

I still believe the fans boycott has been more helpful to change than their shares but good luck to them

Hearts fans saved the club but its still the big money men who will rule Rangers

but Ian Murray is right and we are quite a bit away too from completing our ownership model while likes of Motherwell and Hibs are even further away and its not clear the appetite generally

highlandjambo3

They also fail to mention Hibs at all. They've got 600 folk signed up after launching their own initiative.

NEARLY 600 fans :beatnik2:

Is this true ? Serious question.

Unknown user

I get that there's a conversation in there about whether we deserve a mention or not but disgust is a bit dramatic!

Is there actually a problem here? Rangers are pretty big news just now.

Don't pay your TV licence. They are scum, not just in a Glasgow-centric footballing sense

Scum? Really? What a joyous comment.

BRAVEHEART1874

Poor sevco do you want a pat on the back for having 3% or so shares your new club ;)

Dinnae get upset. Be happy about the FOH success so far and how the club is progressing and being properly managed from top to bottom for the first time in many years.

At the same time cast an eye across the country (and city for that matter) at other fan involvement schemes and be thankful those are not the options that we have been given!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just cut and paste churnalism.

Rangers First is not the biggest fan ownership group. They don't and won't own their club. All it is is a bunch of fans buying a very low % shareholding.

Does anyone expect anything different from BBC Glasgow? National Broadcaster my arse. They are as parochially West of Scotland orientated as Radio Clyde.

buzzbomb1958

We will see I think rf should have kept their money in a fighting fund instead of buying shares which will be diluted when the old crook who takes over gets the begging bowl out.

. They are a new club with no history feck them

Is this true ? Serious question.

HIBERNIAN SUPPORTERS LIMITED

PRESS RELEASE

Hibernian Supporters Limited today announced that in just over three weeks since their launch they have signed up just under 600 supporters and that they were very pleased with the response, stating it was ahead of their expectations.

As well as supporters signing up to direct debits they have received a number of one-off contributions, many from overseas.

Earlier this month at the Arbroath Scottish Cup fixture Gordon Smith received HSL?s first share certificate for 625,000 shares in Hibernian from first team coach Alan Stubbs. We can now reveal that this number has risen to 1,000,000 shares, making it the second biggest shareholder behind the Holding Company. 

Kenny MacAskill said ?We are delighted with the take up so far, particularly as we now expect a further surge after the February pay day. We always thought this was a marathon and not a sprint. 

?What is equally pleasing is the number of supporters who have contributed above the minimum level, demonstrated by the average regular monthly contribution of ?20 and an average lump sum contribution of ?318. 

?This progress is remarkable given the headwinds we faced prior to launch. Whilst most of the effort so far has been through social media, such as Facebook and Twitter, we have now commenced direct consultations with Hibernian Supporters Association Branches to explain what we are trying to achieve, a step that has been very positively received. What is clear is that fans want to hear from us directly and get the story first hand rather than rely on hearsay and misinformation.?

Kenny added, ?All the meetings we are having and the feedback we have received indicates to us that there is a real interest in what we are trying to achieve. Supporters are joining everyday and more and more are recognizing the benefit of a collective such as HSL. We believe that it is possible that by the end of the first year we will be in a position to own 10% of the shares on offer. Remember we have a subscription agreement that enables us to buy whatever shares are available, so long as they are available.?

20,000 information fliers are now being printed and will be distributed amongst fans at the forthcoming Rangers match at the end of March and to the local community to raise awareness in HSL and its objectives.

BangkokHearts

20,000 information fliers are now being printed and will be distributed amongst fans at the forthcoming Rangers match at the end of March and to the local community to raise awareness in HSL and its objectives.

Surely they will only need about 8000 printed?

colinmaroon

I get that there's a conversation in there about whether we deserve a mention or not but disgust is a bit dramatic!

ANYTHING to do with that vile institution disgusts me!

They were a cancer in the game and, if it was not so tragic it would be hilarious - the patient can't wait to get its cancer back!!!

"We've already had discussions with Dave King and some of the Three Bears and they all believe in fan involvement."...................... :bomb2:

which is why every single model of fan ownership will be completely different for different clubs......................... :2thumbsup:

The fans will neve own Rangers................to many leaches ready to suck out any success that club reaches

The fan involvement , goes as  far as paying for their briefs. 

Unknown user

ANYTHING to do with that vile institution disgusts me!

They were a cancer in the game and, if it was not so tragic it would be hilarious - the patient can't wait to get its cancer back!!!

Sound, but that's just muddying the water.

I'm talking about the OP being disgusted that they dare to mention Rangers when talking about fan movements.

It's not disgusting, it's an over reaction IMO.

The BBC itself is another debate, best left for the shed

Anybody any idea what sort of money the fans would have to come up with to buy all the shares? I realised that share values change all the time.

At the current price of 35.5p, almost 29 million quid.

At the current price of 35.5p, almost 29 million quid.

Thanks for that.

It's certainly a big ask for the support to raise that money just to buy the shares and add to that the onerous task of achieve their rightful place [emoji6] at the top of Scottish football.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I get the impression that there is seething envy of the Hearts success out there.  Like the OP, I couldn't believe that article started with Sevco.

Makes me even more proud.

Not a debate for the Terrace, but the BBC coverage prior to the referendum was comically unbalanced.

Big Slim Stylee

Personally I couldn't even raise a shrug never mind disgust at what order we appear in a website report.  Why does it matter? Technically they are the largest fan movement.

As Ian Murray points out FO will be different for every club.  I read that the ultimate aim of Rangers First/RST is to get to 25% max at most.  This'll probably take them years and years.  If at that point they were still collecting monthly, the money will be voted on and channeled into specific capital projects.

That's a long way from our model which is one that suits us but would never work in a million years for them.

Archived