Orlando City first game on Sunday ;)

mac

Will definitely be on my 'things to do' list next time I'm there. I bet the majority of the crowd will be tourists for future games.

Certainly don't think it would be even in the top 10 things i'd want to do when visiting Florida / America personally.  

That said..... its probably a good example of how we could learn a lot from the yanks with regards to how correctly marketing a distinctly average product can pay off tenfold.

Will definitely be on my 'things to do' list next time I'm there. I bet the majority of the crowd will be tourists for future games.

I'd be pretty amazed if the majority of the crowd at Orlando games is made up of tourists.

MLS is garbage, won't be watching any games, a bunch of over rated has been's mixed in with a bunch of amateurs, no thanks. The cheesey chants from the fans always make me laugh though.

Well done to them. The Americans certainly jump onto new sport franchises with gusto. Years ago I was in Seattle 6 months before the Sounders launched - all of the major city streets had banners up on the poles for the team, there was billboards up, buses covered in ads and shops all full of merchandise. Now I know that's a big marketing spend, but as a result the city has fully embraced that team.

Dalstonjambo

MLS is garbage, won't be watching any games, a bunch of over rated has been's mixed in with a bunch of amateurs, no thanks. The cheesey chants from the fans always make me laugh though.

Yet apparently sky have paid more to show it than Scottish football.

Any comments from Neil Doncaster on this?

Yet apparently sky have paid more to show it than Scottish football.

Any comments from Neil Doncaster on this?

Thats interesting as according to World Soccer, US rights equate to just ?90m.

tommythejambo

Were we not around ?15-20m?

..and of course it's New York City's first game as well (if you discount a couple of friendlies against, of all people, St Midden)

Haha, more garbage from this poster than in the MLS thats for sure!

Haha, more garbage from this poster than in the MLS thats for sure!

Christ, that was short Hendricks, you usually post a lot of pish in 3 paragraphs.

a bunch of over rated has been's mixed in with a bunch of amateurs, no thanks. The cheesey chants from the fans always make me laugh though.

You've just described The Rangers Football Club

Were we not around ?15-20m?

Its not ?90m per year. Thats for the whole term. 4 years IIRC.

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Club I worked for in Orlando had most of their youth coaches pinched by Orlando :laugh:

Dalstonjambo

It's what I read, although sky aren't quoting figures, so I guess we can't prove one way or another.

As a reference point - on an article with mark wotte in the herald..

'Blessed with the eyes of an outsider yet armed with some valuable inside information, Wotte now keeps himself busy as a TV analyst for the Eredivisie, the Dutch top flight where teams now receive around ?58m of Rupert Murdoch's money a season. Okay, so it isn't quite the ?5.13bn over three seasons which the Barclays Premier League in England will wallow in from 2016 onwards, but it still dwarves the combined ?15m Scottish football currently generates from Sky Sports and BT Sport'

So that's how much we are valued. The dutch league gets 4 times from sky what we do from sky & bt put together. Incredible. 

hmfc_liam06

Why do folk get so worked up about another league? I mean from a negative point of view. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Dalstonjambo

Why do folk get so worked up about another league? I mean from a negative point of view. If you don't like it don't watch it.

Do you not find it frustrating that the dutch league gets that much more from a British tv company than scotland does?

I'm not worked up about any other leagues and I don't watch ones I'm not interested in. My point is how can that league which I'd imagine has (at best) similar viewing figures to the Scottish games on sky get so much more money?

Just listened to the 'monday night fitba' podcast with derek rae from bt sport which was fascinating and the man is so positive about Scottish football. If we had that positive type of person in charge of our game rather than cretins like doncaster and regan we might be better off don't you think?

My point isn't around watching the leagues- are you not frustrated by that tv deal? Let's put it in an HMFC context. Say 2 million a year extra - in 5 years we would have 10 million for a new main stand. Yes that's simplistic but in theory the point stands

letsalldothebeattie

Looking forward to the start of the new MLS season and loving it now Sky have it so can watch even more games. It has its critics but i think its a good improving league. Will be good to see the New England Revolution with big Jose Goncalves in the side.

Guest C00l K1d

Surprised at this.

I watched a lot of MLS when I was over in the states and I thought the standard was half decent.

They certainly aren't a million miles out of touch like us Europeans make them out to be. The game has picked up massively over there.

hmfc_liam06

Do you not find it frustrating that the dutch league gets that much more from a British tv company than scotland does?

I'm not worked up about any other leagues and I don't watch ones I'm not interested in. My point is how can that league which I'd imagine has (at best) similar viewing figures to the Scottish games on sky get so much more money?

Just listened to the 'monday night fitba' podcast with derek rae from bt sport which was fascinating and the man is so positive about Scottish football. If we had that positive type of person in charge of our game rather than cretins like doncaster and regan we might be better off don't you think?

My point isn't around watching the leagues- are you not frustrated by that tv deal? Let's put it in an HMFC context. Say 2 million a year extra - in 5 years we would have 10 million for a new main stand. Yes that's simplistic but in theory the point stands

Of course it's frustrating but that's not Sky's fault, it's not the Dutch league's fault, it's not the MLS's fault. The blame lies firmly at the door of the SPFL.

Broxburn Jambo

Of course it's frustrating but that's not Sky's fault, it's not the Dutch league's fault, it's not the MLS's fault. The blame lies firmly at the door of the SPFL.

It is also the fault of the product

Correct.

I note BT get a free pass in such discussions as well.

And I can guarantee the main folk who complain about a lack of TV money are the same who say its ruined the game and want a return to 3pm KO's on a Saturday.

How about we start thinking of how we can use the 'lack' of TV cash to our advantage?

hmfc_liam06

Correct.

I note BT get a free pass in such discussions as well.

And I can guarantee the main folk who complain about a lack of TV money are the same who say its ruined the game and want a return to 3pm KO's on a Saturday.

How about we start thinking of how we can use the 'lack' of TV cash to our advantage?

I'd say we are taking advantage of the lack of cash, teams playing youngsters with good football on show and the national team seeing the benefits as well.

Still, folk will tell us it's all doom and gloom!

Dalstonjambo

Hence me blaming doncaster and regan

rossthejambo

If you've not seen any games how can you class it as garbage?

Funny calling Gerrard and Lampard and the likes has beens when they're still playing in the Premier League at a high level and would still be if they didn't fancy playing in MLS.

The US "amateurs" got to the knockout stages of the World Cup as well btw.

hmfc_liam06

Hence me blaming doncaster and regan

I'm still not sure what the relevance to the SPL TV deal has to this thread tbh.

hmfc_liam06

Funny calling Gerrard and Lampard and the likes has beens when they're still playing in the Premier League at a high level and would still be if they didn't fancy playing in MLS.

A fair few teams in the MLS would give us a doing.

I'm unsure if Lampard will ever actually kick a ball in the MLS.

A fair few teams in the MLS would give us a doing.

I'm personally not convinced. I think the standard is comparable to the top league in Scotland, and I think Hearts could hold their own against the majority of teams in that.

I have watched MLS games on BT.

The big name players who are going there are all well over 30, they are just going for one last payday and to live it up in the sun. Yes they did get to the knockout stages of the world cup by winning 1 game but most of their better players don't play in the MLS, it's a crap plastic league.

rossthejambo

I have watched MLS games on BT.

The big name players who are going there are all well over 30, they are just going for one last payday and to live it up in the sun. Yes they did get to the knockout stages of the world cup by winning 1 game but most of their better players don't play in the MLS, it's a crap plastic league.

Pretty ignorant viewpoint really. Over 30 maybe but still more than capable of playing at a high level and all the players that have gone there so far have done a good job over there, flying in the face of the "one last pay day" theory. That and I doubt Gerradr, Lampard, Xavi, Kaka, and Villa are really getting paid much more than they would have been getting elsewhere in Europe.

The majority of their World Cup squad and starting XI played in MLS btw.

Pretty ignorant viewpoint really. Over 30 maybe but still more than capable of playing at a high level and all the players that have gone there so far have done a good job over there, flying in the face of the "one last pay day" theory. That and I doubt Gerradr, Lampard, Xavi, Kaka, and Villa are really getting paid much more than they would have been getting elsewhere in Europe.

The majority of their World Cup squad and starting XI played in MLS btw.

Not sure of what is wrong, or particularly ignorant, about what he has said. The star players who end up there from overseas are generally past their prime. And attracted by good weather, I'd guess!

13 of the 23-man World Cup squad were based outwith the MLS, and only a few of their starter v Belgium were from MLS teams, by the way.

rossthejambo

Not sure of what is wrong, or particularly ignorant, about what he has said. The star players who end up there from overseas are generally past their prime. And attracted by good weather, I'd guess!

13 of the 23-man World Cup squad were based outwith the MLS, and only a few of their starter v Belgium were from MLS teams, by the way.

Was more the plastic league comment I was talking about with the ignorant part. Of course they're past their prime but the comment was that they were has beens as if they wouldn't be able to play in the "big leagues" any more which isn't the case.

I've looked at what teams the players are at now in the World Cup squad, my mistake, looks a far more even split if not a majority that's in MLS now.

alwaysthereinspirit

Like a-holes, everyone has one.

One of the problems I have with the MLS is the same problem I have with the Australian league; I can't get into football in a country where it doesn't even rank amongst the top 5 most popular sports. The majority of fans have zero passion as they see 'soccer' as just another spectacle along with American football, baseball, ice hockey, bastketball etc.

One of the problems I have with the MLS is the same problem I have with the Australian league; I can't get into football in a country where it doesn't even rank amongst the top 5 most popular sports. The majority of fans have zero passion as they see 'soccer' as just another spectacle along with American football, baseball, ice hockey, bastketball etc.

Not sure how you would base your rankings, but I would say "soccer" is firmly in the top 5 sports in the US, alongside the four you list. Popular on TV, popular in terms of people playing, popular in terms of people attending games.

hmfc_liam06

Drivel.

As opposed to Scotland which is just a bunch of amateurs :lol:

Guest C00l K1d

When I was in new york all I seen was football. Granted there was loads of stuff on the telly but travelling around goal posts everywhere, plenty games in central park etc. The best thing I went to was under the brooklyn bridge. Playing football with those views at night was spectacular.

Football on the TV 24/7, even women's football is popular it seems.

Just because the majority of America might like American football, I think if you started breaking it down into the states football might be more popular than we think.

Nookie Bear

As opposed to Scotland which is just a bunch of amateurs :lol:

Pretty sure our players are paid...

maroonshrew

I never understand why people take such hostility to the MLS. If you dont rate it, thats fair enough. But its always with such vitriol compared to poor european leagues. We can learn from their marketing & professionalism if nothing else. 

Guest C00l K1d

I never understand why people take such hostility to the MLS. If you dont rate it, thats fair enough. But its always with such vitriol compared to poor european leagues. We can learn from their marketing & professionalism if nothing else.

It's the mentality of the fans driving the game forward over there.

Scottish football fans are so backward thinking. Even the shite teams have groups of fans who try and create a world cup atmosphere at every match. We just have a group of moany gits wanting us to slip up so they can have a moan.

I think the age old expression "it's a place for the working man to go and let off steam" isn't anything to be proud of. It's negative as F.

Edit: Fwiw I don't want a cheesy American atmosphere at Tynecastle, but one game is thriving and the other is not.

maroonshrew

It's the mentality of the fans driving the game forward over there.

Scottish football fans are so backward thinking. Even the shite teams have groups of fans who try and create a world cup atmosphere at every match. We just have a group of moany gits wanting us to slip up so they can have a moan.

I think the age old expression "it's a place for the working man to go and let off steam" isn't anything to be proud of. It's negative as F.

Edit: Fwiw I don't want a cheesy American atmosphere at Tynecastle, but one game is thriving and the other is not.

Well its interesting that every week there is a thread here about no songs, no noise, silences and how it 'needs to be fixed'. America are the antithesis of silence (I dont like cheesy songs either) and yet that is criticized too for being the 'wrong type of atmosphere' 

Guest C00l K1d

Well its interesting that every week there is a thread here about no songs, no noise, silences and how it 'needs to be fixed'. America are the antithesis of silence (I dont like cheesy songs either) and yet that is criticized too for being the 'wrong type of atmosphere'

It just suits their culture and it'd probably be quite daft here.

Italian football can be nuts but look how daft the "ultras" here look when they attempt it.

Think Scottish football fans need to develop their own fan culture but at the minute it's just folk shouting abuse.

Obviously Tynecastle has seen some amazing atmospheres, but only seems to turn up for the big games.

I get that no one wants to be singing and dancing against someone like Dumbarton or whatever but that's where the USA fans are different. They have a persistent atmosphere that doesn't feel forced. They're singing because they enjoy being there not because some dafty with a megaphone is telling them to. They just have an all round better attitude to sports over there.

(I get that there's European style ultras in the states so don't bother sending me a video of an American with a megaphone :laugh: )

maroonshrew

It just suits their culture and it'd probably be quite daft here.

Italian football can be nuts but look how daft the "ultras" here look when they attempt it.

Think Scottish football fans need to develop their own fan culture but at the minute it's just folk shouting abuse.

Obviously Tynecastle has seen some amazing atmospheres, but only seems to turn up for the big games.

I get that no one wants to be singing and dancing against someone like Dumbarton or whatever but that's where the USA fans are different. They have a persistent atmosphere that doesn't feel forced. They're singing because they enjoy being there not because some dafty with a megaphone is telling them to. They just have an all round better attitude to sports over there.

(I get that there's European style ultras in the states so don't bother sending me a video of an American with a megaphone :laugh: )

No im agreeing with you. Thats how americans choose to embrace these types of things. It isnt forced, its typically american. i just dont know why so many Brits enjoy ridiculing it 

Just had a wee read on the World Football Phone In group on Pusbook. Seems Sky paid ?1.3m for the MLS rights.

Archived