Dave Mackay - Rest In Peace (funeral details and route announced)

DB-14

Rumours circulating on Facebook and Twitter that he has passed on. Is anyone able to confirm this for sure or is it just internet hearsay?

Fxxx the SPFL

Rumours circulating on Facebook and Twitter that he has passed on. Is anyone able to confirm this for sure or is it just internet hearsay?

he has been unwell for a while now hope these rumours are untrue

@LRJFORD: @StanCollymore Stan, I've had it confirmed that the Hearts and Spurs Legend Dave Mackay has sadly passed away this evening. RIP Dave Mackay

... Twitter - one tweet.

Angus Young

@LRJFORD: @StanCollymore Stan, I've had it confirmed that the Hearts and Spurs Legend Dave Mackay has sadly passed away this evening. RIP Dave Mackay

... Twitter - one tweet.

Very Sad News condolences to his Family RIP.

... Twitter - one tweet.

And that tweet has gone.

I'll keep my fingers crossed until we hear from official sources.

It is however the anniversary of him signing for Spurs.

The Vulture

That's very sad, on his facebook site today was the anniversary that Hearts sold him to Spurs in 1959. 

A true gent, was fortunate to meet him at a few of the Manchester Hearts Player of the Year Dances at various locations in the North of England.

His death makes this a sad day. Not many players can claim legend status at three clubs, but Dave Mackay managed it.

I just hope they don't run that picture when it's announced on the news.

itsnomarooned

A Google search produces hee-haw. A mistake/wind up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Fxxx the SPFL

A Google search produces hee-haw. A mistake/wind up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

if it's a wind up that will be in shocking bad taste.

Heartsofgold

Checked the main Spurs forums, nothing on them either.  If this is a wind up it's sick.

LarrysRightFoot

Really hope it isn't true. His autobiography is a good read.

One of a few who I believe deserve a statue or some kind of permanent tribute at Tynecastle.

A true legend.

He always said he was a Hearts man, even though he had great success with Spurs and Derby! 

Mark Donaldson has just confirmed to me on twitter that Dave Mckay has passed away. He had it confirmed from various sources. Rip to a true legend

The true spirit of Heart of Midlothian and should be an inspiration to current and future players. Players should be told about this man if they don't already know.

RIP.

Phil Dunphy

Sad, sad news that it seems it's true.

I remember him on the pitch at H/T down at White Hart Lane as 2,400 Hearts fans chanted his name. I'm sure there were tears from him that night, a proper Hearts man.

Footballfirst

A sad sad day for the club.

We have the best part of two weeks to come up with some sort of tribute.

I'd be happy to contribute to the cost of a large flag, banner or something else to mark his passing.

Jambof3tornado

RIP to a true legend and great man.

A very sad day indeed.

Legend is used too often these days, but in this case its very apt.

RIP condolences to family and friends.

Never Let Them Forget

I'd be happy to contribute to the cost of a large flag, banner or something else to mark his passing.

Well said count me in.

For his status at the club and indeed in football I feel we should lobby the club for a stand to be named after him

jamboinglasgow

Really sad news. One of the greatest Hearts players of all time, he is even mentioned in our song. I wish I could have seen him playing. Sadly it means only Alex Young is the only player left who played in the 1956 Scottish Cup final still with us.

Hope Dave Mackay gets the tributes from British football which he deserves for his time in football.

Archived