Fernando Ricksen (donation link added)

The Great Khali

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister suffers from MND, it really is a horrible illness. Well done to all the supporters that turned out today, and hope things go well for him in the future.

The People's Chimp

Saw loads of Rangers fans kicking about glasgow, wondered what was on. Truly horrible disease.

He was a real character in the game, the kind of guy you love to hate. Really glad to hear he got a good turn out.

I under went tests for MND last year before eventually being diagnosed with young onset Parkinsons, very scary time as although PD is grim enough, at least it's not a death sentence. I hope for Fernando's sake that his suffering is brief and not prolonged like Stephen Hawking.

Life can be very cruel at times and no shame in saying I was crying watching the video earlier.. Hope his remaining life can be as pain free as is possible

Chaka Demus & pliers

Apparently he feel over after kicking off.

Sad to see him like that but glad there was a good turnout for him.

tartofmidlothian

Read the other day that Celtic had donated 10k to today's takings. Nice gesture, whichever way you look at it.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

So sad. What a terrible illness. Even harder to watch when you remember how energetic and lively the guy was when he was in Scotland.

Captain Canada

It was heartbreaking to watch. He's got courage in abundance and it was great to see such a big attendance for him and his family.

So heartbreaking to see what was a cracking player in his day suffering from this illness. Wish him well. Really put everything into perspective.

gorgie al 1960

My Mother died of this horrible disease, and I hope to god that he has his dignity for as long as he wants it - if there is any silver lining to this, he lives in a country where dignity comes before ethics - live well Fernando, and enjoy your family for as long as you want

I had only read stories and seen pictures about his illness but the video brings home the horrible truth about how it affects people. I hope he fights this with the same determination he showed on the park during his career.  

I remember Joost Van Der Westhuizen the former South African rugby player being interviewed a couple of years ago and appearing at a rugby match after he had been diagnosed. It was astonishing to see him so quickly going from being one of the best talents in rugby to a man in a wheelchair struggling with speech. 

A horribly cruel disease.

Well done to Rangers and their supporters for making this work. They take a tanning often so this is a good boost for them as a club.

40k is some turnout.

Well done to Rangers and their supporters for making this work. They take a tanning often so this is a good boost for them as a club.

40k is some turnout.

It is quite magnificent.

That's very emotional. Poor guy, maybe not the most liked opposition player but he was a character and most certainly a fighter. Hope he overcomes this horrible illness.

I remember Joost Van Der Westhuizen the former South African rugby player being interviewed a couple of years ago and appearing at a rugby match after he had been diagnosed. It was astonishing to see him so quickly going from being one of the best talents in rugby to a man in a wheelchair struggling with speech. 

A horribly cruel disease.

Yeah he came into my work and also was part of a quiz night at Murrayfield we set up. Great guy and lovely family.

Good turn out for him. 

Sad to see any person struggling like that. Good effort from players and fans to put the game on.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Horrible viewing.  Very difficult to watch.

Credit to the Rangers fans for turning out in big numbers.

Horrible to see someone so weak and frail. Poor guy could barely raise his arms to wave. Horrible illness and he certainly has my best wishes.

If there is any small consolation for Fernando, he should know that the raised profile he has given the condition will contribute in a small way to better treatments and a cure. Raising awareness of these conditions is absolutely critical to the fight against them.

40k is some turnout.

Have to agree,. With all the negativity surrounding the gers at the moment, it's fantastic that so many of them turned out for this.

Heartbreaking to watch him like that, terrible disease.

Archived