ABERDEEN

crichiejambos

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Instead of Celtic? Why?

Aberdeen along with to a lesser extent Hibs, are the clubs we benchmark ourselves against.

Cast No Shadow

For some reason I don't mind United. Their fans seem pretty sound and I love the fact they hate the Old Firm so much.

This. Great club.

The "Dundee Hibs" patter that sometimes gets trotted out is embarrassing.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

United and Killie are 2 clubs I have not witnessed any great malice in. Partick ICT would be another 2. Great for Scottish football that Aberdeens dominance is being challenged though.

29k at the game yesterday.... Pathetic.

So you think 30k OF fans would make a 300 mile round trip to Aberdeen to watch a semi final ?

That's a bloody good attendance IMO.

Cast No Shadow

29k at the game yesterday.... Pathetic.

Given the utterly dreadful numbers we've taken to our last two League Cup Semi-Finals (in Edinburgh), I don't think you can criticise over 20,000 Sheep and over 9,000 Arabs.

Given the utterly dreadful numbers we've taken to our last two League Cup Semi-Finals (in Edinburgh), I don't think you can criticise over 20,000 Sheep and over 9,000 Arabs.

Neither of them were being destroyed by mad Vlad or facing administration at the time though.

Glory hunting sheep still thinking it's 1983.   And when will they remove the extra star on their tops? 

Neither of them were being destroyed by mad Vlad or facing administration at the time though.

Glory hunting sheep still thinking it's 1983. And when will they remove the extra star on their tops?

I always laugh at the second star for winning the super cup which is basically only one match or did they play two back then?

I always laugh at the second star for winning the super cup which is basically only one match or did they play two back then?

Aye if Hearts had won the European Super Cup we would never mention it right enough........

Aye if Hearts had won the European Super Cup we would never mention it right enough........

Personally I'd feel that winning the cup winners cup was more important, to Me the super cup is just a showpiece match that's played on the day of the champions league draw

Cast No Shadow

Glory hunting sheep still thinking it's 1983. And when will they remove the extra star on their tops?

That's utterly irrelevant. They were cup semi-finals in Edinburgh ffs. :lol:

I don't doubt we'd have taken a lot more if we weren't playing pish at the time, but still.

ChunkyCharlie

So you think 30k OF fans would make a 300 mile round trip to Aberdeen to watch a semi final ?

That's a bloody good attendance IMO.

No, they think they are Scotland's third force but they are shite. Their fans are shite as well. They should be able to fill their full allocation, imo.

This. Great club.

The "Dundee Hibs" patter that sometimes gets trotted out is embarrassing.

Seriously? Dundee Utd are a great club? Care to explain.

I've encountered fans of most clubs mentioned.

And whether it bothers you or not they don't like Hearts.

Like we aspire to challenge the OF they think they can topple Hearts as being seen as one of the top 3 strongest clubs in Scotland. I hate the thought of teams like that getting the better of us. Because of our situation in recent years we've lost more games to clubs like that and they love it. Personally I've hated it.

There's a lot of contempt for us from their fans because we see ourselves as a big club and they look at our trophy haul and wonder why? It may be better than theirs but not by a million miles.

The love-in for some of these clubs is sickly. Feck them all ........before they do it to you.

Cast No Shadow

Seriously? Dundee Utd are a great club? Care to explain.

A club who consistently punch above their weight: reach cup semi-finals and finals, win the odd trophy, qualify for Europe, have a fantastic academy which produces some terrific talent. They have a very admirable European history.

Quite simply, we should now be aiming to emulate what they have achieved over the past eight years or so.

Good point,caller.

Last one was similar in numbers to what Dundee Utd took to Hampden on Saturday.

I really don't like Aberdeen so I'm glad Utd beat them. Comedy goalkeeping too :D 

Aberdeen have had a bit of an upsurge in fortunes over the last couple of years, but for 15 years before that, they were absolutely woeful. They were pulling in crowds of 7,000 a few years ago. In saying all that, I recognise that a strong Aberdeen is good for Scottish football. 

Cast No Shadow

They've not won a game at Hampden since papping Hibs out the Scottish Cup in April 2000. :lol:

Lord Beni of Gorgie

They played 2. Was a fair effort, Hamburg were a far better side than Real Madrid back then, probably more glory in the Super Cup win. They got to the semi of the CWC that season too and not long after narrowly lost out in a European Cup Q-F, it would be pathetic to dispute the quality of that side. But even then their was apathy, its that kind of a place up here. I would say the apathy has lapsed for the time being, instead there is delusion now. Even adding Shinnie and McLean, these are ordinary players not internationals as they had in the 80's, players desired by clubs all over.

Reasonably confident our outlook will catch them sooner than most think, fortunately the SPFL Premier is not a league that takes huge investment to be in the elite e.g ICT

Is the European Super Cup, not just a glorified version of the Charity Shield!!!

They fully deserve a star for the ECWC, which was a fabulous achievement, but the star for the Super Cup is a bit daft.

• 2 months later...

Just noticed the sheep have matched out points tally from the 2005/06 season where we finished second, with 4 games still to play.

Great effort from them it must be said. 

Just noticed the sheep have matched out points tally from the 2005/06 season where we finished second, with 4 games still to play.

Standard of the SPL in 2005/6 ---------------------------------> Standard of the SPL in 2014/2015.

Arnold Rothstein

In a league with no Rangers, Hearts or Hibs remember.

Is it really comparable? massive difference in quality these days i think and without us, hibs and Rangers to contend with makes life much easier, they've done well though.

In a league with no Rangers, Hearts or Hibs remember.

True. However they don't have anything like the resources Vlad threw at us that season. 

MacDonald Jardine

Is the European Super Cup, not just a glorified version of the Charity Shield!!!

They fully deserve a star for the ECWC, which was a fabulous achievement, but the star for the Super Cup is a bit daft.

Yes it is.

They undoubtedly deserve credit for the ECWC win but they're the only team to my knowledge who have a star on their badge for it.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Our points tally would have been a lot higher that season without the shenanigans involving management changes and all the other craziness. Aberdeen have done well in a weaker league though.

Really a very good season for Aberdeen regardless of the lack of 3 of the bigger clubs. To have won comfortably more games and claimed more points in the SPL than either Hibs or Rangers have in the Championship against some really awful sides says a lot. They are definitely the team to aspire to challenge next season especially as they look like they are being well run and targeting more than decent SPL standard players.

An on form 05-06 Hearts side (picked by someone who knew what they were doing) would clearly have wiped the floor with them but then again it did cost a lot of money to assemble. Equally this Aberdeen side would get nowhere near the Aberdeen of the 80's or even the early 90's.

I struggle to see how it's been a good season for them. They had the potential to win the league due to a poor Celtic, but bottled it.

I struggle to see how it's been a good season for them. They had the potential to win the league due to a poor Celtic, but bottled it.

Aye very good.

I thought they were supposed to be bust by now?

Could've sworn I'd read that on here.

They've pretty much pished 2nd place, which is realistically what most clubs go for in the top flight as winning it is pretty much out of the question given the resources of Celtic (usually it would be 3rd behind the 2 Old Firm clubs of old), whilst giving Celtic a good run for their money into the bargain.  You would usually expect Celtic to be around 20 points clear at this stage of the season, but Aberdeen are still only 8 points behind with 4 games to play.  That's not bad all things considered, so I would say it's been a pretty solid season for them.

If Hearts were in the same position next year, would you still struggle to see how it had been a good season?

Going to be tough competition next year, especially as they are adding Shinnie to their side. Have to hope that Rooney goes off the boil.

3fingersreid

Can't ****ing stand the " red army" and their team's manager

With them being in Europe next season I'm not so sure domestically they'll be as strong/ consistent , something that's happened to us many times over the years

Can't ******* stand the " red army" and their team's manager

With them being in Europe next season I'm not so sure domestically they'll be as strong/ consistent , something that's happened to us many times over the years

I very much doubt they will be in Europe long. That doesn't mean they won't be competing for 2nd and 3rd in the SPL again its just the way of things. If they did make the group stage of the Europa it would undoubtably have an impact on their league form.

All roads lead to Gorgie

Can't ******* stand the " red army" and their team's manager

Don't think we can rely on them being in Europe for long unfortunately.

3fingersreid

Possibly correct with regards to the length of time they'll spend in Europe however it's not easy for teams to maintain being the best of the rest ,they've had two better than average seasons I don't think they'll have a third , or at least not anyway , in them

What will be a definite is when they come to Tynecastle ,for some reason they really wind me up

I like a strong Aberdeen in the league.  I'd also ideally like a strong Hearts, Dundee Utd, Celtic and Rangers.

Ordinary team but seem to have found consistency.

Really hope we don't let ourselves down next season thinking it's going to be miles tougher.

Wouldn't thank you for half of their team.

Archived