Hubris

Hearts Heritage

Hearts Heritage

Hubris (/?hju?br?s/, also hybris, from ancient Greek ?????) means extreme pride or self-confidence.

When it offends the Gods of ancient Greece, it is usually punished. The adjectival form of the noun hubris is "hubristic".

Hearts Heritage

Interesting. I think perhaps you should stick to the football stats.

If Hearts avoid defeat tomorrow it will equal their best unbeaten start to a league season

1905-06  P16 W12 D4 L0 W75.00% D25.00% L0.00% F37 A9

1964-65  P16 W12 D4 L0 W75.00% D25.00% L0.00% F53 A19

on both those occasions they finished second

fabienleclerq

tin of chickpeas

couple of cloves of garlic

lemon juice

olive oil

water

a pinch of cumin

Blend then serve with pitta bread.

:lol:

Hearts Heritage

tin of chickpeas

lemon juice

olive oil

water

a pinch of cumin

healthy-hummus-recipes.jpg

Hibris (/?hi?br?s/, also hybris, from ancient Greek ?????) means extreme shite or self-loathing.

When it offends the Gods of ancient Greece, it is usually punished. The adjectival form of the noun hibris is "hibristic".

FTFY

Croffles! 

Nothing more fantastic than the origin and development of language as a means of communication, which is currently having a heart attack!

If Hearts avoid defeat tomorrow it will equal their best unbeaten start to a league season

On this occasion we are going to finish first - by a mile.

Merry Xmas.

I approve of this thread.

A life long supporter or a fan for the last five minutes, I find it astounding that anybody who follows Hearts can suffer from too much self confidence.

Especially when it's surely plain to see that we are in this current position as a direct result of careful planning preparation and a sense of levelheadedness. Taking one game at a time and all that.

And don't say that that is is the job for the coaching staff and players and not the fans because that's pure nonsense.

Francis Albert

A life long supporter or a fan for the last five minutes, I find it astounding that anybody who follows Hearts can suffer from too much self confidence.

Especially when it's surely plain to see that we are in this current position as a direct result of careful planning preparation and a sense of levelheadedness. Taking one game at a time and all that.

And don't say that that is is the job for the coaching staff and players and not the fans because that's pure nonsense.

It's the job of the coaching staff and the players. What effect does the fans' feeling have on anything? Unless you really believe there are gods that might be offended?

In fact on other threads we are told than the fans' nervousness and lack of confidence (eg after QOS's equaliser) has a negative effect. Equally nonsense.

If it's my "job" as a supporter, (I'm not a fan), where's my money?  Is it an unpaid job?  Do I have a contract?  Do I have a performance appraisal?  Could I be transferred to Hibs?

You've got me worried.

Anyway, I'll cheer myself up by saying we're going to win this league by the length of Leith Walk.

It's the job of the coaching staff and the players. What effect does the fans' feeling have on anything? Unless you really believe there are gods that might be offended?

In fact on other threads we are told than the fans' nervousness and lack of confidence (eg after QOS's equaliser) has a negative effect. Equally nonsense.

If the fans feelings didn't have any importance then why do certain teams talk about certain stadiums being difficult to play in due to the atmosphere?

I'm of the opinion that confidently declaring the title as a "done deal" before Christmas day(which has been said on here) is a knee jerk reaction and that is never a good thing.

Be confident yes, enjoy it, absolutely but I would suggest that we don't gloss over the fact that we are still only three games away from blowing our lead.

If it's my "job" as a supporter, (I'm not a fan), where's my money?  Is it an unpaid job?  Do I have a contract?  Do I have a performance appraisal?  Could I be transferred to Hibs?

You've got me worried.

Anyway, I'll cheer myself up by saying we're going to win this league by the length of Leith Walk.

Yes Kiwi, of course you have a job, and an obligation. :D

Bridge of Djoum

Ho Ho Ho. Perhaps you should stick to reading rather than posting.

"Could I be transferred to Hibs?"

what did I say about those knee jerk reactions? don't get all worst case scenario on me.

Tranferred to Spartans for a day or two maybe. :pleased:

Chaka Demus & pliers

1905-06 P16 W12 D4 L0 W75.00% D25.00% L0.00% F37 A9

1964-65 P16 W12 D4 L0 W75.00% D25.00% L0.00% F53 A19

I'd argue that we've already bettered both of those starts by having 41 points from 15 games rather than what would have been 40 points after 16 (using 2 points for a win).

Hubris (/?hju?br?s/, also hybris, from ancient Greek ?????) means extreme pride or self-confidence.

When it offends the Gods of ancient Greece, it is usually punished. The adjectival form of the noun hubris is "hubristic".

Zeus can kiss my hoop.

Champione, champione, ole,ole, ole!

Oh that 64-65 season.  What a heart break that was.  Just look at the goals scored, 53 in 16 games, including 5-3 win at Easter Road, 4 against Celtic at Tynecastle etc..

7-1 loss to Dundee at Tynecastle near the end of the season screwed us on goal average.  Plus, losing both games v Kilmarnock, (Scotland's catenaccio team - boring as mud) of course.

If only Raold Jensen's shot had gone in instead of hitting the post.

Oh that 64-65 season.  What a heart break that was.  Just look at the goals scored, 53 in 16 games, including 5-3 win at Easter Road, 4 against Celtic at Tynecastle etc..

7-1 loss to Dundee at Tynecastle near the end of the season screwed us on goal average.  Plus, losing both games v Kilmarnock, (Scotland's catenaccio team - boring as mud) of course.

If only Raold Jensen's shot had gone in instead of hitting the post.

If only they'd been 6 points(three victories) ahead at one point. Then it would have been scientifically impossible to blow it. :sob:

Before I was on this earth but wasn't the goal difference factor something that Hearts themselves had recently voted for? Only a year before or something?

Francis Albert

If the fans feelings didn't have any importance then why do certain teams talk about certain stadiums being difficult to play in due to the atmosphere?

I'm of the opinion that confidently declaring the title as a "done deal" before Christmas day(which has been said on here) is a knee jerk reaction and that is never a good thing.

Be confident yes, enjoy it, absolutely but I would suggest that we don't gloss over the fact that we are still only three games away from blowing our lead.

First I think the impact of "atmosphere" is exaggerated. Second, I don't think atmosphere has much to do with the level of fans' confidence in victory (eg we created a wonderful atmosphere at Tynie v Tottenham but I don't think many of us expected to win ... and going back to point 1 unfortunately the wrong team froze!) Third I don't think we (certainly not

the management and players) should focus at all on being 3 games away from blowing the lead.

64/65 and 85/86 are usually invoked. In both seasons I don't think over confidence (or hubris) was the deciding factor - if anything it was because we lost confidence and faith in the

outcome. And in 85/86 I am glad we enjoyed confidently the prospect of winning the league (champione chants and all) rather than keep telling ourselves we could lose it all in the

last 7 minutes.

10363906_770489579649257_627090952988798

(Agree with Davie though: let's keep the celebrating and self-congratulations until it's mathematically impossible for anyone to overtake us. P.S. To do otherwise smacks of hunnishness to me.)

Francis Albert

A well-timed and argued OP in my opinion

You believe in ancient Greek gods and that they are actively watching over the Scottish second division?

You believe in ancient Greek gods and that they are actively watching over the Scottish second division?

Takis? (41 years old isn't ancient tho)

Francis Albert

If only they'd been 6 points(three victories) ahead at one point. Then it would have been scientifically impossible to blow it. :sob:

Before I was on this earth but wasn't the goal difference factor something that Hearts themselves had recently voted for? Only a year before or something?

I was on this earth (and at the 1-7 Dundee game and the Killie finale) and I think the switch to goal difference to goal average came after that season, partly as a result of the

obvious unfairness of the goal average outcome in 64/65 in benefiting defensive and penalising attacking football.

Having said that we were not a great side on 64/65, not a shadow of the great team of a few seasons before - reflected in plummeting attendances despite being title challengers, indeed league leaders and favourites for much of the season. The outcome certainly had little if anything to do with over-confidence or hubris on the fans'part.

The irony of course is that we would have won the league in 85/86 on goal average.

Fortunately hubris on internet messageboards makes not one iota of difference to actual football results.  You can rest easy, 12august.

Zeus can kiss my hoop.

Champione, champione, ole,ole, ole!

Given the sexual predelictions of the ancient Greeks (and their Gods) kissing your hoop would be merely regarded as foreplay.

Hearts Heritage

Given the sexual predelictions of the ancient Greeks (and their Gods) kissing your hoop would be merely regarded as foreplay.

[emoji50]

[emoji79]

And the Greek gods have punished Blair by throwing millions at him!

The Greeks have lost their marbles.

tin of chickpeas

lemon juice

olive oil

water

a pinch of cumin

No tahini? Mad Tazio oot!!!1!

FA is right of course in that what goes on in the stands should have no impact on what goes on on the pitch. But it's never that straightforward - fans talk to players, expectations build and expectation becomes a distraction. Robbie is doing absolutely the right thing focussing 100% on the next game. Let's keep it that way. Doesn't mean we can't enjoy it. I know I am.

Stuart McNeill

[emoji50]

[emoji79]

how many points behind where the team who were second at this point?

and when did they take over us on points?

I am feeling supremely confident that we are playing Alloa tomorrow afternoon, and that regardless of what happens in that game, we will be in first place come Wednesday.

Beyond that, I'll worry about later.

willie wallace

We are unbeatable.

FACT.

I think i will go with Lebron on this one.Pity the club did not sell half season tickets  :uhoh2:

BoJack Horseman

Fortunately hubris on internet messageboards makes not one iota of difference to actual football results.  You can rest easy, 12august.

I think a lot of people on this forum need to realise this.

willie wallace

I was on this earth (and at the 1-7 Dundee game and the Killie finale) and I think the switch to goal difference to goal average came after that season, partly as a result of the

obvious unfairness of the goal average outcome in 64/65 in benefiting defensive and penalising attacking football.

Having said that we were not a great side on 64/65, not a shadow of the great team of a few seasons before - reflected in plummeting attendances despite being title challengers, indeed league leaders and favourites for much of the season. The outcome certainly had little if anything to do with over-confidence or hubris on the fans'part.

The irony of course is that we would have won the league in 85/86 on goal average.

I am sure we invaded the pitch when we scored against Dundee[0-7at the time] I can still see Willie Waddell celebrating at the end of the Killie game.

Francis Albert

I am sure we invaded the pitch when we scored against Dundee[0-7at the time] I can still see Willie Waddell celebrating at the end of the Killie game.

As I recall we didn't even score - it was an own goal!

No, but the Gaia System does. :smash:

It's tough being a Hearts fan of a certain age.... 

Think we are building for the long term, and are doing the right thing across the board, which is the important thing I suppose.

On one hand it is hard to see Rangers being any worse, and we've had the odd break this season - QOS hit the post down there at 0-0, the late winner at Alloa jump to mind. That can switch around.

But we are top on merit.  Robbie has his head screwed on.

Aim is 50 points at half way for me, and hope Hibs do us a wee favour on the 27th. 

Archived