Festival Cup

Jedigogs

With the likelihood of us going up and Hibs staying down, should this game be resurrected?

Im not sure but assume it stopped as hibs got fed up of losing?

oh ah grantona

we are not up yet and Hibs are not staying down for sure 1 game at a time.

As for tournament if you can attract another couple of big names as was plan in first place yes great. 

Prince Buaben

A good idea. Just not carried out the correct way. If they could have got some teams from places Edinburgh is twinned with involved it may have been more of a success.

Hearts will make their own arrangements based on what football coaches want though I expect club will look at something to make money

It would be good to see a pre season 4 team tournament take place in Edinburgh. Have Hearts, Hibs, a biggish European team and a big Premiership team. We've had Wolfsburg and Man City recently. Play 2 Semi Finals, Hearts play at Tynecastle and Hibs play at Easter Road on the same day/night and then a day or two later, there is a 3rd place play off and a final played at Murrayfield on the same day, it's likely we'd get an Edinburgh Derby out of it and get to see a couple of big teams play each other.

I don't think the last manifestation took full advantage of the tourists in the city at the time it was basically just the usual punters along. Never thought of having it at murrayfield as mentioned above and not sure it would be a great advert for the teams but if you gave tickets away for next to nothing could potentially get some visitors along and maybe sell a few strips?

Opening it up as a 4 team tournament would help.

we are not up yet and Hibs are not staying down for sure 1 game at a time.

As for tournament if you can attract another couple of big names as was plan in first place yes great. 

I always thought it would have been a great idea but it was never done properly. All it needs is 2 other teams and play 2 semis, a 3rd place match and a final.

Doesn't need to be big names either but i'm sure we'd have no trouble attracting a mid-ranking German, Spanish or Italian team. Maybe a mid-ranking English side too or top of the Championship team.

They have these 4-team pre-season tournaments all over the world these days so I've no idea why people would think it's a bad idea.

...a bit disco

What about the Tom H?rt Memorial Trophy?

That was fun.

Prince Buaben

The council if it had any common sense could use this to open the festival(1st weekend in August)

Use Murrayfield and make a weekend of it. 2 Games on each day. Like the emeriates cup etc

The 4 team idea is a good one.

The Festival Cup itself was utter shit.

Still won them both mind :verysmug:

Was the Festival Cup not the game where the linesman almost strangled Tam McManus for mixing it with Austin McCann, seem to remember a great photo of it in the Evening Hubs!

Webster winner (again) that day I think!

They pondered this on H1b5.nut last season when we were on our way down (and they were staying up). :4_1_72:

The funniest response was "No, let them earn the right to play H1b5".

Prince Buaben

They pondered this on H1b5.nut last season when we were on our way down (and they were staying up). :4_1_72:

:lol:

I rember having a giggle at that one!

It's a good idea if it can be done properly. And would be better for both sets of Edinburgh fans if there was not going to be a derby that season. 

A Hearts Hibs 'final' at Murrayfield on a nice summer evening. It could attract a big crowd if promoted and priced correctly, especially if it was the only derby for a year. 

Mind that time Fiorentina and Bayern turned up... No, me either. :(

Cant see it mentioned but I remember going to a Hearts/Hibs/Meadowbank select v Bayern Munich 'Festival Cup' game. Think it was 2-1 and Robbo scored. Nipper Lawrence was the sole Meadowbank Player IIRC.

Have got the programme up in loft somewhere.

Play 2 Semi Finals, Hearts play at Tynecastle and Hibs play at Easter Road on the same day/night and then a day or two later, there is a 3rd place play off and a final played at Murrayfield on the same day, i

The police would love the idea of that.

Hearts Heritage

Cant see it mentioned but I remember going to a Hearts/Hibs/Meadowbank select v Bayern Munich 'Festival Cup' game. Think it was 2-1 and Robbo scored. Nipper Lawrence was the sole Meadowbank Player IIRC.

Have got the programme up in loft somewhere.

Only 10,000 turned up leaving 'Organisers with financial problems'

1985081301.jpg

Hearts Heritage

The charity Select XI games played at the start of the season attracted some enormous crowds.

Games were stopped when crowds dipped to 15,000

1944-8-5 Aston Villa 3-4 35000 Tynecastle Park
1945-8-4 Huddersfield Town 4-0 30000 Tynecastle Park
1946-6-8 Aston Villa 3-3 39861 Easter Road
1947-8-2 Derby County 4-5 42000 Easter Road
1948-8-7 Blackpool 1-1 37000 Tynecastle Park
1949-8-6 Wolverhampton Wanderers 2-3 46007 Easter Road
1950-8-5 Newcastle 1-1 45000 Tynecastle Park
1951-8-4 Liverpool 1-2 35000 Easter Road
1952-8-2 Portsmouth 3-2 32000 Tynecastle Park
1953-8-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers 3-2 39000 Easter Road
1954-8-7 Bolton Wanderers 3-2 45000 Tynecastle Park