Boxing and UFC

Masonic

I actually feel this is the route UFC has been going down more and more since Conor became the poster boy.That Bisping stuff in the ring the other night throwing the belt down was so cheesy and WWF

If i was a contender in McGregor's weight class in the UFC I'd be speaking to a lawyer right about now.

I know there are others organisations, but they are merely feeder series and eventually get bought out by the UFC, but I can see it eventually going the way of boxing and splitting into different orgs. WBC WBO etc type scenario.

Edited by southcap

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vegas-voss

• Masonic

• ri Alban

• cosanostra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Generic Username

If i was a contender in McGregor's weight class in the UFC I'd be speaking to a lawyer right about now.

I know there are others organisations, but they are merely feeder series and eventually get bought out by the UFC, but I can see it eventually going the way of boxing and splitting into different orgs. WBC WBO etc type scenario.

Some fighters cobbled together under the guise of a fighters union but it never really took off.

It's the way combat sports have gone now, if you can hype up a fight then you're quids in. Tyson Fury is/was a frankly terrible boxer but you'd get drawn in to his fights with the nonsense that went on beforehand. Remember when he dressed up as Batman...

The dream would be to see the best fighters, ranked appropriately, and then fighting each other based on rank. It does slightly devalue things when some mid-ranked fighter can shit-talk his way to a title/interim title fight with a fairly sketchy record behind him, but it is what it is.

I don't really agree with. Conor is not really a new phenomenon.

Before him we had chael sonnen, before him Tito Ortiz. There have and always be characters who realise that increased eyes on you means more money. That's smart business from these guys.

Connor has just been able to take it to another level. The reason for this is his sticht is very good, however, he's an exceptional mma artist. So he's been able to back everything up he says so has been able to stay relevant and cross over. Love him or hate he is a charamsric and very clever individual.

People will always look at success and try and imitate themselves. Bisping, who I agree came across as very cheesy has been trying to hype fights for years. I would be tempted to say he's not that good at but he is. In states at the moment and he does a hell of a lot of TV work for FS1 etc, I didn't realise how high profile actually is. It's clearly worked well for him.

Getting eyes on you makes money particularly in the social media age.

Anyway my point is it's not a new phenomenon.

I read a while ago that Bisping is one of the highest earners ever in the UFC because he quite clearly plays the heel.

But cmon UFC has now just lost its number 4 contender at middleweight to Bellator and after Bisping v Whittaker he had to get the next shot.Its UFC's pure lack of respect to any fighters that are nota mouthpiece that is annoying me.Look at the way they treat Mighty Mouse for instance the guy is just the best a far better fighter than Conor but he is polite and respectful so UFC don't promote him despite him being pound for pound the best for so long.

I read a while ago that Bisping is one of the highest earners ever in the UFC because he quite clearly plays the heel.

But cmon UFC has now just lost its number 4 contender at middleweight to Bellator and after Bisping v Whittaker he had to get the next shot.Its UFC's pure lack of respect to any fighters that are nota mouthpiece that is annoying me.Look at the way they treat Mighty Mouse for instance the guy is just the best a far better fighter than Conor but he is polite and respectful so UFC don't promote him despite him being pound for pound the best for so long.

Creating a whole thing series dedicated to fighting DJ wasn't promoting him?

Has anyone else ever had that?

The 125 division is pretty awful. Not sure how much more exposure it deserves.

Some fighters cobbled together under the guise of a fighters union but it never really took off.

It's the way combat sports have gone now, if you can hype up a fight then you're quids in. Tyson Fury is/was a frankly terrible boxer but you'd get drawn in to his fights with the nonsense that went on beforehand. Remember when he dressed up as Batman...

The dream would be to see the best fighters, ranked appropriately, and then fighting each other based on rank. It does slightly devalue things when some mid-ranked fighter can shit-talk his way to a title/interim title fight with a fairly sketchy record behind him, but it is what it is.

Tyson Fury may not have the most exciting style for a lot of people and that's maybe what you're getting at but in no way is he a 'terrible boxer' :lol:

In his last fight he completely schooled one of the best heavyweights of his generation whilst barely taking a shot. 

Tyson Fury may not have the most exciting style for a lot of people and that's maybe what you're getting at but in no way is he a 'terrible boxer' :lol:

In his last fight he completely schooled one of the best heavyweights of his generation whilst barely taking a shot.

:spoton:

He's a total dobber but far from a terrible boxer.

Edited by Ivan Drago

Generic Username

He landed less than 90 punches out of nearly 400 thrown against Klitschko, who had an equally poor success rate in that fight. It wasn't a schooling. It was a rubbish fight.

He's also given himself an uppercut. Let's not go rewriting him as some great fighter. He was like Valuev but slightly harder to understand.

He landed less than 90 punches out of nearly 400 thrown against Klitschko, who had an equally poor success rate in that fight. It wasn't a schooling. It was a rubbish fight.

He's also given himself an uppercut. Let's not go rewriting him as some great fighter. He was like Valuev but slightly harder to understand.

He landed significantly more clean punches than Klitchsko in that fight, which is the object of boxing. As we seen against Joshua, Klitchsko is by no means a finished fighter but he couldn't get near Fury. No one has made Klitchsko look as bad as he did, even in the fights he has been KOd he has usually had significant moments of success.

That's not to mention Fury's dismantling of decent opponents like Chisora and Hammer. To call him a terrible boxer is pretty ludicrous.

People don't understand or appreciate the art of boxing. Whilst the blood and guts routine is great viewing it really isn't a great tactic unless your coming up against a far superior boxer than yourself.

Fury uses his weight and height superbly. He doesn't have a lot of power but his technique and intelligence in the ring is very good.

Mcgregors trash talking game was on point today. Though some good lines from both.

The prsss conference are a bit of a strange format for me.

Crowd Very pro mcgregor/anti Mayweather.

Press conference will probably be more entertaining than fight unfortunately.

Pretty much The Roasting Of Mayweather haha.

Mayweather "I own money"

Conor quick as a flash "you owe money"

So contrived they could make this into a musical.Weird entertaining shit.Surely Conor is destined for the WWF

Prince Buaben

So contrived they could make this into a musical.Weird entertaining shit.Surely Conor is destined for the WWF

He is.. He has already said he could beat the whole WWE roster. He will be going for that after Mayweather beats him.

I have no issue with the sports as a whole being taken as an entertainment package, it's what sells it.

My issue is that this fight is an exhibition and the ruling body should have a serious look at itself for sanctioning it.

Putting in a 49-0 world champion at multiple weights, one of the best p4p fighters of all time, against an 0 fought amateur, is borderline negligent.

Generic Username

I have no issue with the sports as a whole being taken as an entertainment package, it's what sells it.

My issue is that this fight is an exhibition and the ruling body should have a serious look at itself for sanctioning it.

Putting in a 49-0 world champion at multiple weights, one of the best p4p fighters of all time, against an 0 fought amateur, is borderline negligent.

I think you're doing McGregor and his skill set a disservice. I don't think he'll beat Floyd but he'll absolutely land on him. This isn't one of the greatest ever boxers against some random punter off the street who's had a gym membership for a month.

I think you're doing McGregor and his skill set a disservice. I don't think he'll beat Floyd but he'll absolutely land on him. This isn't one of the greatest ever boxers against some random punter off the street who's had a gym membership for a month.

Oh I know what you are saying, but I think some perspective needs to be taken into consideration.

McGregor is no mug with his hands, clearly. But the chasm would be the equivalent of me thinking I could jump in and giving Josh Taylor a run for his money. I did some boxing as a teen so I'm no guy from the street with a gym membership either.

But it wouldn't be a fight in any way, shape or form.

Generic Username

Oh I know what you are saying, but I think some perspective needs to be taken into consideration.

McGregor is no mug with his hands, clearly. But the chasm would be the equivalent of me thinking I could jump in and giving Josh Taylor a run for his money. I did some boxing as a teen so I'm no guy from the street with a gym membership either.

What was your fight record as a teen? Good enough to even have you in contention for such a hypothetical match? Probably not.

16 of McGregors fight wins have been KO/TKO as a result of punches. If this was Damian Maia getting thrown into a boxing match, that would be a legitimate concern.

What was your fight record as a teen? Good enough to even have you in contention for such a hypothetical match? Probably not.

16 of McGregors fight wins have been KO/TKO as a result of punches. If this was Damian Maia getting thrown into a boxing match, that would be a legitimate concern.

I was shite, end of.

McGregor knocks out opponents who are trying to avoid hands, feet, knees, elbows, take down, chokes etc etc

Mayweather, widely considered the greatest defensive boxer of all time only has to avoid his punches. Something he has managed to do to every single highly rated contender he has went up against in boxing.

They are fundamentally two different sports. 

It's just a weird fight both are counter fighters but how does Floyd get anywhere near Conor if he goes in using an unorthodox stance(Karate for instance).It's just strange, in pure boxing Conor doesn't lay a glove on Floyd also his power is negated somewhat as well with bigger gloves and boxers are just used to getting hit far harder anyway imo.So despite it being set to boxing rules it's still a clash of styles that will probably baffle Floyd more than Conor.

Saying all that I still can't seeing Conor winning.

Generic Username

I was shite, end of.

McGregor knocks out opponents who are trying to avoid hands, feet, knees, elbows, take down, chokes etc etc

Mayweather, widely considered the greatest defensive boxer of all time only has to avoid his punches. Something he has managed to do to every single highly rated contender he has went up against in boxing.

They are fundamentally two different sports. 

I've absolutely no idea who is trying to tell you they aren't different sports, it's not me.

You've said it was negligent to put in McGregor a "0 fought amateur" against Floyd. He's a high calibre athlete with a solid background of finishing fights with his hands, I can totally see why Floyd would fancy a bit of it. He's not going in against a UFC fighter with an impecabile submission record or a history of finishing fights through head kicks. Not entirely sure where the negligence comes in.

Generic Username

It's just a weird fight both are counter fighters but how does Floyd get anywhere near Conor if he goes in using an unorthodox stance(Karate for instance).It's just strange, in pure boxing Conor doesn't lay a glove on Floyd also his power is negated somewhat as well with bigger gloves and boxers are just used to getting hit far harder anyway imo.So despite it being set to boxing rules it's still a clash of styles that will probably baffle Floyd more than Conor.

100% where I'm at.

It's confusingly interesting.

Good points.

However, if it was that easy to baffle an opponent by being ultra-unorthodox, who don't we ever really see it? 

How often do you see someone trying and be really cocky in the ring only to get a sweet left hand landed on them when acting the smart arse?

Yes, it could help him, but history and experience saying being unorthodox will only get you so far, otherwise it would be classed as orthodox.

Good points.

However, if it was that easy to baffle an opponent by being ultra-unorthodox, who don't we ever really see it?

How often do you see someone trying and be really cocky in the ring only to get a sweet left hand landed on them when acting the smart arse?

Yes, it could help him, but history and experience saying being unorthodox will only get you so far, otherwise it would be classed as orthodox.

All I am saying is how does a counter puncher like Floyd negate the distance of a karate stance for example.It could be an absolute borefest as both are counter punchers.

And we don't see the unorthodox stances Conor can bring as it's an MMA fighter against a boxer

Edited by vegas-voss

I've absolutely no idea who is trying to tell you they aren't different sports, it's not me.

You've said it was negligent to put in McGregor a "0 fought amateur" against Floyd. He's a high calibre athlete with a solid background of finishing fights with his hands, I can totally see why Floyd would fancy a bit of it. He's not going in against a UFC fighter with an impecabile submission record or a history of finishing fights through head kicks. Not entirely sure where the negligence comes in.

Think about this for a second. Why don't olympic level sprinters transition over to football often? They should be able to run rings about majority of other players no?

Having a single transferable skills doesn't make a complete skill set.

Now, I'd love nothing more than to see Floyd get complacent and Connor land a sweet left on him to put him to sleep. I'd LOVE that to happen.

But would any other 0-0 boxer get put in front of Floyd? No danger. It's a marketing decision pure and simple. Maybe I'm taking it too far by calling them negligent, but fights that are considered 'no-contests' or 'mis-matches' before they even get in the ring just shouldn't happen.

But I guess this all makes me a hypocrite as I do kind of want it to happen just for a laugh really.

All I am saying is how does a counter puncher like Floyd negate the distance of a karate stance for example.It could be an absolute borefest as both are counter punchers.

And we don't see the unorthodox stances Conor can bring as it's an MMA fighter against a boxer

Something tells me Connor won't be able to stand off Floyd for any decent amount of time.

Floyd most likely will, he's been there and done it so vastly superior opponents and will stick to his game plan.

So either Floyd will just stand back and pick him off when he does venture forward every now and then or Connor will get a rush of blood to the head and go rushing in, falling right into Floyd's hands.

Hope not, but most likely.

Think about this for a second. Why don't olympic level sprinters transition over to football often? They should be able to run rings about majority of other players no?

Now, I'd love nothing more than to see Floyd get complacent and Connor land a sweet left on him to put him to sleep. I'd LOVE that to happen.

But would any other 0-0 boxer get put in front of Floyd? No danger. It's a marketing decision pure and simple. Maybe I'm taking it too far by calling them negligent, but fights that are considered 'no-contests' or 'mis-matches' before they even get in the ring just shouldn't happen.

But I guess this all makes me a hypocrite as I do kind of want it to happen just for a laugh really.

I agree I don't think it should be put out there as a boxing match ever if it's under boxing rules as it's two totally different sports.

A lot of athletes have transitioned to MMA from other sports namely football and American football.

Generic Username

:rofl:

What are the complete skill sets for boxing? Fluidity of motion, stamina, accuracy, strength, endurance, in ring experience? A lot of, if not all the things McGregor also has, just not from the confines of a boxing ring, but an Octagon? You're making it sound like he's a total random who's got a hold of Floyd's number and keeps demanding a pager.

You just need to accept it is what it is and enjoy the spectacle man. Nonsense patter about negligence makes you come across like you're wound up tight about it. Just be glad we're not the daft punters who're parting with thousands of pounds for this!

Something tells me Connor won't be able to stand off Floyd for any decent amount of time.

Floyd most likely will, he's been there and done it so vastly superior opponents and will stick to his game plan.

So either Floyd will just stand back and pick him off when he does venture forward every now and then or Connor will get a rush of blood to the head and go rushing in, falling right into Floyd's hands.

Hope not, but most likely.

I still think it will be a damp squib.Who wins and loses anyway I don't care I wish they could knock each other out as i cant take to any of them really although I'm led to believe Conor's is all an act and he is really nice guy outside of promotion Edited by vegas-voss

Rocco_Jambo

There's a reason why even Olympic gold medalists don't get thrown in against even the top domestic level fighters on their pro debuts. Because regardless of how good their skills are even amateur boxing (never mind MMA) is so different from professional boxing.

British Welter champ Bradley Skeete could probably beat McGregor on his debut.

There's a reason why even Olympic gold medalists don't get thrown in against even the top domestic level fighters on their pro debuts. Because regardless of how good their skills are even amateur boxing (never mind MMA) is so different from professional boxing.

British Welter champ Bradley Skeete could probably beat McGregor on his debut.

I have said the same kind of thing pure boxing Josh Taylor would destroy Conor.Also Conor has great power in MMA but boxing it's totally different imo.I just think this match is totally set up to be a damp squib though both walkaway with a fortune for producing a borefest and Conor can give up on fighting altogether as he will have made that much.Floyd will come back in another two years when he has blown a huge chunk of dough again until one day he really will just be too old and slow

Each one has just got more caring worthy.Instead of trying to convince this as a legitimate fight they are making it more into a panto

How many more stops to go? Feels like it's had the arse completely kicked out it now.

London today then that's it

Each one has just got more caring worthy.Instead of trying to convince this as a legitimate fight they are making it more into a panto

Caring worthy haha

Cringe worthy

Reinforcing my theory that anyone who gets their own name tattooed on them is a arsehole.

Looking at social media though he can get away with saying anything and the fans then charge in to defend him. Mostly with thick uninformed comments on issues they are incapable of understanding. 

Will obviously watch this purely out of curiosity.

If Mayweather drops him in two rounds I wouldn't be surprised.

Calls Tyson Fury a terrible boxer then bums up Connor McGregor :laugh:

Conor knocks out hot headed emotional wrestlers with 66 inch reaches whilst wearing 4 ounce gloves.

Fighting the GOAT, at boxing, with 10 ounce gloves, is in no way comparable.

Conor will get an absolute shoeing and I can't wait to see this circus / spectacle. Conor can't 'lose', he's not expected to win and he's earning a ridiculous amount of money, courtesy of his mouth / personality.

gashauskis9

McGregor should just go directly to WWF, he's a feckin embarrassment.

Mayweather is going to throttle this prick in no time and leave him so ashamed that his UFC career will be in tatters too.