Rangers need to mind the gap

LeftBack

Taken from the Tellhimhe'sPele website, interesting read with no hint of usual bias. Good article on Hibs as well.

www.tellhimhespele.com/five-things-we-learned-24-november-2014  

Rangers need to mind the gap

It was during the 80th minute on Saturday when the home support at Tynecastle spontaneously opened up with a chant of ?Champion?es!? At once it felt mildly inappropriate ? Heart of Midlothian were only beating Rangers 1-0 and it is still only in November, with six months of the season ahead.

But was it inappropriate? On reflection, probably not. Hearts? eventual 2-0 win over the Gers has widened the margin between the two clubs to nine points. It isn?t an impossible deficit to turn around if one just studies the numbers: a ten point swing from 66 available is nothing. Rangers over history have been able to make up ground on their opponents to win titles but not this team, and not under this manager. Considering that Hearts have only dropped four points all season and have already played and won against their title rivals home and away, it would take an extraordinary change in circumstances for Rangers to win the league now.

For the first 20 minutes of the match, it seemed like Ally McCoist?s side might have been able to get within three points of their opponents. They were undoubtedly the better team in terms of gaining territory, putting pressure on the Hearts defence and creating half-chances. There was a lot of spirit in their play, epitomised in the way that Billy King was swarmed and robbed of the ball inside his own half on the 18th minute, leading to a quickly taken free-kick to turn the defence, from which a corner kick was only just about dealt with in a nervous fashion.

It wasn?t pleasing on the eye, but until that point it was reasonably effective. McCoist?s strategy of keeping the tempo high and getting the ball forward as early as possible was causing problems to Hearts? ability to play from defence through to midfield, with Morgaro Gomis not anywhere near as influential as he would have liked to have been during the first quarter of the match. Miguel Pallardo?s class in possession was apparent when the ball got to him, but there weren?t any chances created and Soufian El Hassnaoui was stranded on his own with long punts upfield only vaguely played in his direction.

If McCoist was getting the better of his counterpart Robbie Neilson in the early stages, then it could be argued that his successful approach was the only way he knows how to make his team play effectively. Indeed, when it came to the crunch, McCoist reverted to type and gave Jon Daly his first league start of the season, after nine substitute appearances, purely as a battering ram against a defence missing their captain Danny Wilson. There were seven instances in the first half where the Rangers defence shelled the ball long to Daly when there were easy passing options nearby, with Darren McGregor particularly keen to use the diagonal up to the big man. It was entirely reductive and only served Rangers well up to a point, because when Steven Smith was sent off Hearts were able to open up and sweep up Daly?s second balls much better.

As soon as Rangers went a man down, Gomis was allowed to build from the back, Pallardo was afforded more touches and, more importantly, Jason Holt was given space to influence the play. To their credit, Rangers defended astutely for long-enough spells, keeping a compact midfield bank of three on top of their own backline to minimise the amount of space that Hearts could get in a central area 20 yards out. But they didn?t look like posing much of a threat Hearts in an attacking sense.

With the man extra, Hearts could afford to have King cut in from the right flank, which encouraged a fascinating contest between Lee Wallace and Callum Paterson ? two of the country?s best young full-backs sparred up and down the length of the pitch and Wallace came out on top for most of the match, which played a part in Rangers still remaining competitive with a man less.

However, Paterson was once allowed the space to swing in a dangerous cross on 56 minutes and a headed clearance fell short to the edge of the box, straight to Holt who controlled a low, volleyed shot into the corner of the net. An immediate rally saw Nicky Law ? comfortably Rangers? best midfielder on the day ? have a shot saved from an identical position, with the rebound deflected against the woodwork. But apart from that, Rangers were blunt and could still only resort to lumping balls up and hoping that the knockdown would fall kindly to a team-mate. It didn?t happen.

The visitors kept the temperature up, but McCoist wasn?t able to stop his team from simmering over. Smith?s late, stud-showing lunge that saw Craig Thomson reach for the red was much more about trying to keep pressure on the hosts high up the pitch than a wicked recklessness, but it should have been an example of what not to do for McCoist?s men. Shortly after the break, Kenny Miller launched into an even worse challenge that put Kevin McHattie out of the match, which should have seen red, while Kris Boyd did something similar at the very end of the game when two goals down.

McCoist couldn?t alter the pattern of the game when either a man down or later a goal down. Neither could he keep his side?s emotions in check when he needed to most of all. Those downfalls, together with an utterly uninspiring squad that relies far too heavily on moments of quality from Lewis MacLeod, are just further examples of Rangers? manager being out of his depth. A nine point lead isn?t impossible to overtake, but with this manager it could well be.

Of this story is true, and we did indeed start singing "Championees" in the 80th minute, then some of us need our ****ing heads checked.

McCoist couldn?t alter the pattern of the game when either a man down or later a goal down. Neither could he keep his side?s emotions in check when he needed to most of all. Those downfalls, together with an utterly uninspiring squad that relies far too heavily on moments of quality from Lewis MacLeod, are just further examples of Rangers? manager being out of his depth.

A nine point lead isn?t impossible to overtake, but with this manager it could well be.

It's that a contradiction of itself?

steviebaggio98

Of this story is true, and we did indeed start singing "Championees" in the 80th minute, then some of us need our ******* heads checked.

The title's in the bag Sifter! Easy days! :look:

Why does absolutely no-one mention that we hit the bar in the 1st half?  That was the consequence of a great save by their 'keeper.

Clearly it doesn't suit the narrative that The New Rangers were fabulous in the 1st half.

Having now watched Hambone's video twice, (not the full 90 minutes I'll concede), I would say that Hearts edged the 1st half and completely dominated the 2nd.

The above report is pretty good but it not only fails to accurately describe the thuggery but makes no mention of the fact that Hearts dealt with it superbly.

Like many on here though, quite happy for the media to write utter drival about our opponents.

Why does absolutely no-one mention that we hit the bar in the 1st half? That was the consequence of a great save by their 'keeper.

Clearly it doesn't suit the narrative that The New Rangers were fabulous in the 1st half.

Having now watched Hambone's video twice, (not the full 90 minutes I'll concede), I would say that Hearts edged the 1st half and completely dominated the 2nd.

The above report is pretty good but it not only fails to accurately describe the thuggery but makes no mention of the fact that Hearts dealt with it superbly.

Like many on here though, quite happy for the media to write utter drival about our opponents.

What thread is Hambones stream in? I saw it he other day but can't find it again. Cheers

I've watched the Hambone video a few times, too, and what I saw was vindicated by the BBC Match statistics. The Rangers only managed 40% possession with fewer chances and fewer shots on target.

But, hey, let's believe the media that Ally had Sevco dominate the first half up until Smith's red card.

What thread is Hambones stream in? I saw it he other day but can't find it again. Cheers

Hambone heaven in the stickies near the top of the page.

A few inaccuracies in that article. Firstly I'm not sure I heard the championees chant and I sit in G, more likely the chant was 'super ally'. Secondly there was no header in the build up to Holts goal and Laws attempt was from 15 yards out from a volley while Holts was twenty yards out and on the half volley. Rangers may well have had slightly better of the opening 35 minutes but created nothing in this time, the best chance of the first half was Mackays header. Hearts strolled the second half.

Having said that, it's a good website and gives in depth coverage of the Scottish Championship.

He's got his own sub-form at the top of The Terrace forum, 'Hambone Heaven'.  Be warned though, you might waste most of your evening reliving some glorious games :)

Hambone heaven in the stickies near the top of the page.

A few inaccuracies in that article. Firstly I'm not sure I heard the championees chant and I sit in G, more likely the chant was 'super ally'. Secondly there was no header in the build up to Holts goal and Laws attempt was from 15 yards out from a volley while Holts was twenty yards out and on the half volley. Rangers may well have had slightly better of the opening 35 minutes but created nothing in this time, the best chance of the first half was Mackays header. Hearts strolled the second half.

Having said that, it's a good website and gives in depth coverage of the Scottish Championship.

I have to say, my recollection is a bit hazy, although the championees chant does ring a bell.  If we did sing it I'm sure it was purely to wind up the huns, just like the chant of 'we are unbeatable' after Ozturk's screamer against the hobos.

The title's in the bag Sifter! Easy days! :look:

Don't get me wrong, I happen to think we WILL win the league. Even stuck a few quid on it at the start of the season. BUT I can't allow myself to become too bullish about it tho. I prefer the softly softly say nowt attitude we've shown up to now. Just quietly continue to win games, whilst letting Sevco shout their mouths off.

Since we went 9 clear there seems to be an attitude of "we're gonna piss this" developing. It makes me uncomfortable!!!

Archived