Arthur Montford

Harry Palmer

A fantastic night - first time I have seen it on the telly too, thanks for that

First Scotland game with my pals.I was 12 ffs

Arthur on a Sunday was the highlight of the week back then

Guess The Crowd

A fantastic night - first time I have seen it on the telly too, thanks for that

Maybe you were at the game, unlike me.

I remember the TV coverage vividly, because it was one of very, very few games that were screened live in those days..

Even now I can hear him describing a goal as "sensational" in that instantly recognisable style. Its something any Scotsport viewer will never forget.

Arthur Montford was the sensation. May he rest in peace.

Arthur was an absolute legend one of a kind.

I hope there is a tribute on STV for him.

That night against Czechoslovakia he summed up the mood of the nation COME ON DENIS COME ON DENIS.

Also the night we qualified against Wales , Dalglish's goal  ITS THERE ITS THERE ARGENTINA HERE WE COME.

Great times . 

Just listened to the Scotsport 1980s theme on youtube. Instantly took me back - Robbo and JC, Davie Cooper, barneys in the Junior Cup final ...

Just finished reading Archie McPherson's autobiography. He speaks very highly of Arthur/

Arthur was often ridiculed but was a professional and brought football to the uninitiated.

RIP.

Even now I can hear him describing a goal as "sensational" in that instantly recognisable style. Its something any Scotsport viewer will never forget.

My half sister

I remember in the mid 60's when Scotsport was on at 10.30 on a Saturday night and I had to plead with my maw to stay up to watch it. He was the best and today's jokers could learn a lot from him.

An absolute legend, not a bad word about anyone, he loved football and a great supporter of the underdog.

I remember near the end of his commentary days, he did a Rangers European game and after Robert Fleck scored his third he said ' Gough, McCoist, Fleck, Fleck scores and says Thank you very much, that's my hattrick'

Loved the man

RIP

I just remember everyone saying, soon after the Czech game, whenever they messed up in our dinner-time kickabouts: 'Disaster for Scotland! Absolute disaster'

And these jackets ...

So much respect for the man. Spent all his career as a fantastically impartial commentator despite being a Morton fan and then on retiring joined the board of his beloved club.

Compare that to Chick Young claiming to be a St Mirren fan. 

heartgarfunkel

RIP Arthur. Saw him in a newsagent in a posh bit of the weedge near Wolfson Hall c 1989. It was a Sunday morning and I went in still half-jaked. The voice was surreal and the experience even more so when he wheeled round after buying his paper, resplendent in a lemon roll-neck, baby blue sports jacket and khaki slacks. Astonishing fash. What a man.

Never a hint of bias in his coverage.  Just loved the game and all the clubs who played it.  "Full of potential" was one of his regular descriptions.

He and the late Bob Crampsey were great for Scottish football.  Plenty of room in the Hall of Fame for both of them.

RIP.

Another youthful memory brings me closer to death.

Sad news.

This....RIP to the greatest there was....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just listened to the Scotsport 1980s theme on youtube. Instantly took me back - Robbo and JC, Davie Cooper, barneys in the Junior Cup final ...

scots civil war

poor old arthur,he leaves his mark on our consciousness

must have bin a fair age,r.i.p

childhood memories

jambos are go!

Arthur was a football fan and gentleman. Met him at STV once and he was just an ordinary bloke with a vivid Sports Jacket on huge hanger in the corner of the room. A bit  like the Golden Fleece  of ancient lore ready for his on screen appearances.  When he retired he was replaced my a succession of ever more opinionated  commentators and pundits - largely due to public demand. Careful what you wish for as they say.

Only saw him once live crossing Maryhill road Glasgow the usual , slightly loud , checked jacket with a pair of very loud totally different checked pair of trousers . Sensational . The paranoid ones [mostly in weegie world] should be grateful for commentators like Arthur and Bob Crampsey . Genuine football fans who had no bias .

steviebaggio98

Tragic news, gutted! Great memories of him and Archie bringing us the Hertz highlights every week! His commentary style was second to none, so gracious and respectful regardless who was playing. He would be trundling along aimlessly in his unique manner then suddenly "it's a goal" came out of the blue! Haha! He was the absolute antithesis of the gutter trash that are now presenting the game to us on a weekly basis. A true Scottish hero! RIP Arthur and have a "stramash" up above!

GL941873.jpg

One of the greatest , rest in peace .

R.I.P. Sir.

45 years on and 3000 miles away I still used stramash when I called my mate last week telling him about a wee spot of bother in 

the bar I work in.

steviebaggio98

R.I.P. Sir.

45 years on and 3000 miles away I still used stramash when I called my mate last week telling him about a wee spot of bother in 

the bar I work in.

:) Nice to hear mate...keep spreading the good man's lingo!

Archived