Arthur Montford

Harry Palmer

Sports Jackets will be mourning all over the land!

Seriously, passing of a broadcasting legend -

"What a stramash!"

Disaster for Scotland.

Indeed. Nothing less than a fankle.

RIP Arthur, off to the great sports coat shop in the sky.

R.I.P Arthur. In football broadcasting you set the bar high and no one has got near it. Sad day.

Met him at Glasgow airport many years ago while we were waiting on the same flight to Tenerife I think it was.

Was a real Morton supporter and a real genuine guy from the 'old skool'.

RIP.....

When you look at what is supposed to pass as football coverage on Sportscene it really makes you appreciate just how good Scotsport and Arthur were. RIP

Teuchterjambo

My wife (now a converted Jambo and season ticket holder) was brought up like Arthur a Morton supporter ... he was a legend through there but the mark of the man is that he is a legend throughout the country.

One of his great comments was "Up go the heads" ... well tonight many heads will be down at this news.

Great man.

the jambo poet

I always thought he looked right old back in the day!! I'm actually astonished he made it this long.

Am I right in saying he wasn't actually a commentator, more a presenter, but when needed he filled in on the commentating? It certainly made it eventful.

Wonderful memories of Sunday's for a young lad watching glen michael's cavelcade and Scotsport.

Rip Arthur and your chequered tweed jacket.

Excellent clip.  Pleasing not only because he reels off all the stats with only an occasional glance at his clip board (no ear pieces in those days) but also because the famous beat Preston 2-0.  A consummate professional.

Maroon Sailor

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/arthur-montford-recalls-32-years-of-sensations-1-3028588

Another night footage from Tynecastle was being rushed across the country in relays. ?But the driver with the last can containing the only goal, who was new to the job, didn?t turn up. ?Apologies to Hearts fans but we?re unable to show your team?s winner against Celtic.? Eventually the driver phoned in. ?I think I?m lost,? he said. ?Read out the number on the dial,? I said. ?Er, North Berwick 2645???

i wish jj was my dad

Lovely memories of Arthur.  He couldn't hide his love for the game and some of his predecessors could learn a lot from him.

Will be very sadly missed. 

Punks No Deid

Lovely memories of Arthur. He couldn't hide his love for the game and some of his predecessors could learn a lot from him.

Will be very sadly missed.

Spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the jambo poet

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/arthur-montford-recalls-32-years-of-sensations-1-3028588

Another night footage from Tynecastle was being rushed across the country in relays. ?But the driver with the last can containing the only goal, who was new to the job, didn?t turn up. ?Apologies to Hearts fans but we?re unable to show your team?s winner against Celtic.? Eventually the driver phoned in. ?I think I?m lost,? he said. ?Read out the number on the dial,? I said. ?Er, North Berwick 2645???

That's a cracking read! And answers my own post above re him commentating .. I was watching as a young lad in the 70's and he was more a presenter then into the 80's and to be honest it was like your grandad commentating on a game - he came out with whatever came into his head lol much to everyone's joy

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Arthur and Archie were some of my first heroes. A proper broadcaster and gentleman. RIP.

Hopefully STV find a fitting tribute to the great man

Sorry to hear this.

Television coverage of Scottish football has actually got worse since he was in his pomp in the sixties and seventies and my Kickback name is taken from one of his expressions, another was 'what a stramash'.

A proper football man. Condolences to his family.

I hope there will be a minutes applause at the weekend's games.

Maroon Sailor

A sad loss.Always liked his direct and to the point, "Goal" commentary.RIP

I remember something along the lines of

Burns, turns inside, shoots, GOAL - Sensation !

Been at an event tonight with Archie McPherson in Glenrothes where he was talking about his book and career etc. He mentioned Arthur was ill and was going to be having a foot amputated. Sure he will be very shocked when he here's he has died. Very sad to here.

My earliest memory of watching football on the TV is Arthur Montford.  I'm feeling old and not a little bit sad just now.

Rest in Peace Mr Montford, you were a broadcasting legend Sir.

I remember something along the lines of

Burns, turns inside, shoots, GOAL - Sensation !

Yeah that sounds about right. Takes me right back to a black and white tv and really looking forward to watching football on the telly. It was such a rare treat.

A nice way to remember the man I think.

Guess The Crowd

Disaster for Scotland.

There you go, 15 seconds in. One of the most memorable games ever, partly due to Arthur...

Hope there was no stramash in the box or a prodigious header! An honest commentator who the present day sycophants should aspire to copy! Oh and those sports jackets were legendary.

Broxburn Jambo

?I remember waking up on a New Years Day and hearing Arthur telling me about a disaster of a scoreline from Tynecastle.

RIP to a huge part of my youth

Maroon Sailor

There you go, 15 seconds in. One of the most memorable games ever, partly due to Arthur...

Law's in the clear, Come on now Denis, Come on Denis !

scott herbertson

A fantastic night - first time I have seen it on the telly too, thanks for that

Archived