Hearts May Move From Tynecastle

Notorious BIG

In a perfect world, where finance isn't an issue - is redeveloping the Main Stand out of the question?

Are we just not going to get planning permission for it?

It'll be a sad day when we have to leave Tynie but it's something I think we all accept is inevitable really. Surely though there's something that can be done with a new main stand?

Even if they do build a new ground, I hope the best interests of the fans are in mind when choosing style and location.

Apart from the fact the stands are steep and so close to the pitch, another thing that makes Tynecastle such a unique experience is the fact it's right in the heart of the city with plenty of pubs, takeaways, caf?s etc. close by.

Many new build stadiums these days are stuck in the middle of industrial estates with nothing around.

Jambof3tornado

We may move,or we may not move. Now for the weegie press to get all over this and make it a negative story.

The first of many since its finally clicked for many that sevco may not win promotion.

The problem with moving from Tynecastle is, how do we remain a community Club if we are no longer in the community?

Every effort should be made to stay at Tynecastle.

Stuart McNeill

Finances could eventually force Hearts to move from Tynecastle Stadium, owner Ann Budge has admitted.

The Edinburgh businesswoman has been speaking in depth for the first time since her summer takeover.

Budge explained that one of her priorities was to patch up parts of the stadium in a state of disrepair.

"But we've got to be realistic and it might be that it's a more cost-effective solution to actually move," she told BBC Scotland.

"Tynecastle does have something magical about it. If there was some way we could actually do something with the stand, it might be that that would be the better option and I know a lot of people would prefer to stay in Tynecastle.

Hearts owner Ann Budge

"Borrowing money for a particular capital programme you can understand, but running up debts that are prevalent in football is beyond my understanding really."

"But, right now, I have no idea what the answer is and I think I would hope that, by the end of my time here, at the very least, we will have a plan that's been properly evaluated through and try to choose the right one for the club."

Moving to a new stadium had been mooted by previous administrations because it was deemed difficult to expand at the present location near the city centre.

"It's been neglected for a long time," said Budge. "There's an awful lot needs to be doing to it.

"But what we're trying to do in the short term is anything to do with safety. That comes to the top of the list.

"But we're also trying to do some of the bigger jobs that have been neglected.

"If you look around now, you'll see we've replaced a lot of seats, we've started a job of painting, so we now have the Hearts colour that we'll try to be consistent about and we're moving round the stadium and addressing the worst parts."

Budge put up the ?2.5m required to take the club out of administration after the collapse of previous owner Vladimir Romanov's financial empire.

The future of Tynecastle was a debating point under previous regimes

She has vowed not to allow Hearts to "live beyond their means" again.

"We're doing what we can, within limits - we've got to be sensible about what we spend," said Budge.

"But, at the moment, we are trying to make the stadium as safe as we possibly can and do the obvious things to make it more pleasant to be in."

Budge says the financial models run by clubs in the past are not sustainable.

"There is a fundamental business rule that says you shouldn't be spending more than you bring in - it's not rocket science," she added.

"If you do that, you're going to end up with debts. Borrowing money for a particular capital programme you can understand, but running up debts that are prevalent in football is beyond my understanding really.

"That will not happen here - certainly not while I'm in charge.

"And I would love to think we could actually have a philosophy in place that says this is the way this club runs: we don't run up lots of debts."

Can't open link. Anyone c+p?

Finances could eventually force Hearts to move from Tynecastle Stadium, owner Ann Budge has admitted.

The Edinburgh businesswoman has been speaking in depth for the first time since her summer takeover.

Budge explained that one of her priorities was to patch up parts of the stadium in a state of disrepair.

"But we've got to be realistic and it might be that it's a more cost-effective solution to actually move," she told BBC Scotland.

"Tynecastle does have something magical about it. If there was some way we could actually do something with the stand, it might be that that would be the better option and I know a lot of people would prefer to stay in Tynecastle.

Hearts owner Ann Budge

"Borrowing money for a particular capital programme you can understand, but running up debts that are prevalent in football is beyond my understanding really."

"But, right now, I have no idea what the answer is and I think I would hope that, by the end of my time here, at the very least, we will have a plan that's been properly evaluated through and try to choose the right one for the club."

Moving to a new stadium had been mooted by previous administrations because it was deemed difficult to expand at the present location near the city centre.

"It's been neglected for a long time," said Budge. "There's an awful lot needs to be doing to it.

"But what we're trying to do in the short term is anything to do with safety. That comes to the top of the list.

"But we're also trying to do some of the bigger jobs that have been neglected.

"If you look around now, you'll see we've replaced a lot of seats, we've started a job of painting, so we now have the Hearts colour that we'll try to be consistent about and we're moving round the stadium and addressing the worst parts."

Budge put up the ?2.5m required to take the club out of administration after the collapse of previous owner Vladimir Romanov's financial empire. She has vowed not to allow Hearts to "live beyond their means" again.

"We're doing what we can, within limits - we've got to be sensible about what we spend," said Budge.

"But, at the moment, we are trying to make the stadium as safe as we possibly can and do the obvious things to make it more pleasant to be in."

Budge says the financial models run by clubs in the past are not sustainable.

"There is a fundamental business rule that says you shouldn't be spending more than you bring in - it's not rocket science," she added.

"If you do that, you're going to end up with debts. Borrowing money for a particular capital programme you can understand, but running up debts that are prevalent in football is beyond my understanding really.

"That will not happen here - certainly not while I'm in charge.

"And I would love to think we could actually have a philosophy in place that says this is the way this club runs: we don't run up lots of debts."

What a sensible lady. "

Hearts owner Ann Budge

Sevco take note.

Guess it depends how you read it, but the vast majority of that article to me is reflecting on the improvements being made currently to the stadium we're in at the moment.

The actual references to the possibility of moving away from Tynecastle at some date in the future are fairly miniscule in the context of the article IMO.

One thing I am utterly certain of is that the research and due diligence on this will leave no stone unturned in terms of what options there are unlike the previous pair of shysters.

There may be some difficult and emotional decisions to be made but they will be made for the right reasons if necessary.

In an ideal world (and I appreciate this may be pie in the sky) I'd like to see major investment sought in the naming of a new main stand which would bring capacity to over 20-22k. If this meant a season or 18 months elsewhere so be it. Whilst it is understandable that the Hearts regulars of 2014 have a voice and a strong opinion after everything that has happened over the last couple of years and particularly at this poignant time in our history it is worth remembering that this is for the future generations of Hearts fans too. Whatever decision has to be made it has to be for the along term benefit of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

jambo in iraq

I actually think having Ann Budge in our corner regarding getting planning permission for the old stand re-development will be a great thing. When Romanov was there (love him or hate him) there was always a degree of uncertainty regarding the future of the club and also the worry that the club was being stripped of assets to feather his nest. I'm sure this was the view of the council and they were unlikely to lend a helping hand.

Ann Budge has in my opinion re-affirmed the clubs position at the Heart of the community. Initiatives such as the living wage and small thing such as paying local vendors on time and bringing back the crowds to the area will carry a lot of favour with the council. 

We have to be realistic about what we expect. The 'Superdome' type stand earmarked by VR looked great but it was never going to happen. IMO if we can find a way that is cost effective to add 3-5 K seats in Old Bertie by adding a tier and new roof then i am sure this will be the preferred option. Hearts playing objective should be to be top end of the SPL and qualification in Europe. Stretch any further than that and we end up back in the Robinson / VR days of living beyond our means.

What i now hope happens is that the Council in some way can be convinced of our value to the area and actually do something to help retain us. 'make it worth our while' to stay put.

In Budge we trust!

It'll be a sad day when we have to leave Tynie but it's something I think we all accept is inevitable really. Surely though there's something that can be done with a new main stand?

Even if they do build a new ground, I hope the best interests of the fans are in mind when choosing style and location.

Apart from the fact the stands are steep and so close to the pitch, another thing that makes Tynecastle such a unique experience is the fact it's right in the heart of the city with plenty of pubs, takeaways, caf?s etc. close by.

Many new build stadiums these days are stuck in the middle of industrial estates with nothing around.

Saturday was a great example of the most atmospheric ground in Scotland, but we need to be realistic.

If we have a blank piece of paper, there's nothing stopping us making the new stadium similar to Tynie.  Steep stands / close to pitch.  As for all the pubs/cafes etc close, by we can have these facilities inside the ground, so Hearts get the profits.

There wont be anything stopping fans from having a few beers in Gorgie/Dalry /haymarket and getting a bus/tram out to the ground (assuming its out in West Edinburgh).  Just need to leave a wee bit early.

Sad to leave Tynecastle, but Tynecastle 2 is needed if we are going to grow as a club.

jambo in iraq

One thing I am utterly certain of is that the research and due diligence on this will leave no stone unturned in terms of what options there are unlike the previous pair of shysters.

There may be some difficult and emotional decisions to be made but they will be made for the right reasons if necessary.

In an ideal world (and I appreciate this may be pie in the sky) I'd like to see major investment sought in the naming of a new main stand which would bring capacity to over 20-22k. If this meant a season or 18 months elsewhere so be it. Whilst it is understandable that the Hearts regulars of 2014 have a voice and a strong opinion after everything that has happened over the last couple of years and particularly at this poignant time in our history it is worth remembering that this is for the future generations of Hearts fans too. Whatever decision has to be made it has to be for the along term benefit of Heart of Midlothian Football Club.

This 100%. Well put

A bit of post recession pragmatism is needed here. a lot of people go to the ganes due to habit and routine. We can't jist build a Bolton style Reebok stadium on a bypass and expect everyone to still go and watch awful spfl football. gorgie is a stones throw from the sexiest city centre in europe. our location and heritage probably count for about 30% of our gates.

Annes in the job for a couple of months and she's already trying to move us. just put the season ticket prices up if it means we can stay home.

Carl Spackler

I strongly suspect this headline is a journalistic slant and was not the point Ann would have been emphasising. Certainly from reading previous interviews with her not least the "JKB" one.

Personally, like most I suspect, I wouldn't want to move for sentimental reasons. I also don't see however, without other evidence, that there's any incentive to either. Unless the newest stands are also defective in some way I can't fathom, the only issue is the Main Stand. Replacing that must provide a better return than trying to build a whole new ground, unless, the land on which you were going to build a new one was dirt cheap and next to decent Infrastructure (and this doesn't exist).

Unless we somehow think our crowds are going to swell to 50,000 in the long term future (and I strongly suspect they're not!) long term we need to replace the main stand so that our capacity is around 25,000. A top facility with hospitality, bars, offices etc built in would see us fine.

My own preference like 99.9% of supporters is to redevelop the main stand and remain at Tynecastle. However if we have to move I will still follow the club. It is really important though that if we do move we ensure that the new stadium has spectators close to the play and steep stands. The atmosphere generated at Tynecastle on a day such as last Saturday against Rangers is second to none and we have to ensure that if there is to be a new stadium this special atmosphere is recreated. What we don't want is 4 square stands with a running track round the pitch. 

On another point I'm sure I read a history of Hearts which stated when the club moved to Tynecastle in 1886 that there was a great deal of criticism from the fans as the stadium was considered to be too far outside the city, since the city limit at that time was Haymarket. It's amazing how this argument could be raised again if Hearts choose to look at a stadium for example in Midlothian. Hopefully if we do move we can make sure that we get a location with excellent public transport as well as road links and space for pubs etc to develop around the stadium.

Guess it depends how you read it, but the vast majority of that article to me is reflecting on the improvements being made currently to the stadium we're in at the moment.

The actual references to the possibility of moving away from Tynecastle at some date in the future are fairly miniscule in the context of the article IMO.

Reading the article it would have been just as easy to put headline. ..'Ann keen to stay at Tynecastle'

Geoff Kilpatrick

A bit of post recession pragmatism is needed here. a lot of people go to the ganes due to habit and routine. We can't jist build a Bolton style Reebok stadium on a bypass and expect everyone to still go and watch awful spfl football. gorgie is a stones throw from the sexiest city centre in europe. our location and heritage probably count for about 30% of our gates.

Annes in the job for a couple of months and she's already trying to move us. just put the season ticket prices up if it means we can stay home.

Any new stadium in Edinburgh will need dedicated non-road public transport links to make it viable, given the density of the population means that a lot of people don't bother to own a car. However, given that the council had the cheek to ask Vlad to contribute to their stupid on-road train set to put his drawings into action, feck knows what Edinburgh council would do in the event of a move being suggested.

Saturday was a great example of the most atmospheric ground in Scotland, but we need to be realistic.

If we have a blank piece of paper, there's nothing stopping us making the new stadium similar to Tynie.  Steep stands / close to pitch.  As for all the pubs/cafes etc close, by we can have these facilities inside the ground, so Hearts get the profits.

There wont be anything stopping fans from having a few beers in Gorgie/Dalry /haymarket and getting a bus/tram out to the ground (assuming its out in West Edinburgh).  Just need to leave a wee bit early.

Sad to leave Tynecastle, but Tynecastle 2 is needed if we are going to grow as a club.

Agree with that mate.

"..she's already trying to move us..."

With an over-reactive interpretation like that, perhaps you should get a job with the SMSM? ;-) All she's doing is discussing, in a level-headed way, the realities that face us and possible future solutions.

Geoff Kilpatrick

The WHNC podcast mentioned the We Shall Not Be Budged song.

Suddenly, it has a different connotation!

Scott if only it was that easy.  We have an annual battle to get a 100 year old stand through its safetly inspection.  We have a huge amount of goodwill from the council (for obvious reasons), but eventually we won't be able to patch it up and it will be closed by the health & safety people or worse there could be some sort of accident.

We don't have to build an identi-kit (Reebok) style stadium, we can surely do something bespoke and have some sort (with reason) fan input.

For no other reason, we need a bigger stadium if we are planning to grow our fan base.

As for location, I think we don't need to go out as far as the bypass.  There a big space at sighthill, where they've just knocked down the big flats, all the way down to the tram line.  Don't know who owns it or how much it would cost, but it might be an option?

Carl Spackler

A bit of post recession pragmatism is needed here. a lot of people go to the ganes due to habit and routine. We can't just build a Bolton style Reebok stadium on a bypass and expect everyone to still go and watch awful spfl football. gorgie is a stones throw from the sexiest city centre in europe. our location and heritage probably count for about 30% of our gates.

Being away from the centre would seriously alter the dynamic of the support and not for the better. I'm certain of that also.

Gorgie and Edinburgh needs Tynecastle and Tynecastle needs them. The only way it would work otherwise is if it were very nearby and there isn't really anywhere. Certainly nowhere any more suitable.

chuck berrys hairline

Scott prolapsing as usual!

:muggy:

On topic, nothing in that article we didn't already know.

Total bullshit.

The preference will always be to stay.

Hearts in a soulless bowl is completely unappealing to me.

Moving from Tynecastle GTFO.

I actually think having Ann Budge in our corner regarding getting planning permission for the old stand re-development will be a great thing. When Romanov was there (love him or hate him) there was always a degree of uncertainty regarding the future of the club and also the worry that the club was being stripped of assets to feather his nest. I'm sure this was the view of the council and they were unlikely to lend a helping hand.

Ann Budge has in my opinion re-affirmed the clubs position at the Heart of the community. Initiatives such as the living wage and small thing such as paying local vendors on time and bringing back the crowds to the area will carry a lot of favour with the council. 

We have to be realistic about what we expect. The 'Superdome' type stand earmarked by VR looked great but it was never going to happen. IMO if we can find a way that is cost effective to add 3-5 K seats in Old Bertie by adding a tier and new roof then i am sure this will be the preferred option. Hearts playing objective should be to be top end of the SPL and qualification in Europe. Stretch any further than that and we end up back in the Robinson / VR days of living beyond our means.

What i now hope happens is that the Council in some way can be convinced of our value to the area and actually do something to help retain us. 'make it worth our while' to stay put.

In Budge we trust!

Good post. I'm sure there are other local authorities e.g. Midlothian who would fall over themselves to bring the club into their area where every fortnight 15,000 people turn up to spend an average of ?25 each in the local community.

I don't agree with this. What the supporters will turn up for is 1. A successful team. And 2. Decent facilities. We could even play in Lochend but if we get these two points right then the fans will turn up.

gorgie rd eh11

The stadium is a big part of the experience of going to watch Hearts so any plan to move would have to be very carefully thought through. Places like St Johnstone and St Mirren are horrible soulless grounds that might have been good for them in the short term but in the long term won't/don't attract people.

Tynecastle is special, only something different to the flat packs in the middle of nowhere should be considered.

i wish jj was my dad

She's considering our options in the best interest of the club. Nothing in that article that suggests that 'she's already trying to move us".

Seriously, it's bad enough when the weegia are sh*t stirring but it beggars belief that our own fans go around making things up.  

Of course the preference is to stay and that may very well happen.

However when a decision for the long term future of the club has to be made it isn't just about the fans of 2014 or 2017 being able to have a pint at Diggers and wander down to the ground its about the Hearts fans of 2034 or 2037 having a Heart of Midlothian to support. Much bigger clubs than Hearts (Everton as an example) are having to deal with similar issues and several current EPL sides have had to make the tough emotional (Southampton as an example) but correct business decision to move and are still thriving. 

Edinburgh City Council are going to have a massive role in what happens. They should be doing everything to assist us remain at Tynecastle, help us with the planning of the building of a 10,000 new main stand with great facilities and corporate space. Will they though or will they create obstacles ? We should also look for outside funding, the naming of the stand being one option for significant income. Will the Hearts fans who have done so much in recent times again be prepared to put their hands in their pockets for another 500 scheme or the like ? Lots of things to ponder.

The problem with moving from Tynecastle is, how do we remain a community Club if we are no longer in the community?

Every effort should be made to stay at Tynecastle.

Correct.

Redevelop the Main Stand, if at all possible, and be part of Gorgie.

Jambof3tornado

Given the amount of redevelopment I see every time I'm in Edinburgh centre there is little to make me think that a new main stand is beyond the realms of possibility.

Gorgie would die without Hearts.

With the right team involved (and I am sure Ann can cobble together a belter of s team),looking to plan for a new main stand is the way forward,of that I'm sure.

Jambof3tornado

What will our crowds be when we go back into the top flight scrap for a euro slot?

25k is pie in the sky. The fanbase is out there but doesn't always show up unless its big games.

What will our crowds be when we go back into the top flight scrap for a euro slot?

25k is pie in the sky. The fanbase is out there but doesn't always show up unless its big games.

A 10,000 seater new stand would take the current capacity to around the 22-23 ish thousand which would be ideal for us. It would regularly be filled for the likes of Saturday and when we are going well and for derbies and any European matches and would get used for semi finals etc. 

Moving away from Tynecastle/Gorgie would be the biggest step backwards we could possibly take. 

Building a new main stand is the only option. The chances of us ever needing a 22+ thousand seating stadium are slim anyway. 

In what way is this news?

Yep, it's always been the elephant in the room but the way I see it is that we will not have a better person in charge to make this huge decision than now so the ball has to be set rolling in the next couple of years.

I didn't trust Romanov one little bit on the future of Tynie and Pieman was a shambles anyway. I trust AB to do this properly, eben though I may not like the answers.

Given the amount of redevelopment I see every time I'm in Edinburgh centre there is little to make me think that a new main stand is beyond the realms of possibility.

Gorgie would die without Hearts.

With the right team involved (and I am sure Ann can cobble together a belter of s team),looking to plan for a new main stand is the way forward,of that I'm sure.

This in bucketloads.

Unless there are heritage, safety or council blocks there is no reason we couldn't redevelop the stands.

I don't think anyone would want to see a move away from Tynecastle unless it was the right move for the club. I don't see what benefit that would have for us.

Scott,

She Is not trying to move us she is evaluating the options which is what any sensible level headed person would do.

Moving away from Tynecastle/Gorgie would be the biggest step backwards we could possibly take. 

Building a new main stand is the only option. The chances of us ever needing a 22+ thousand seating stadium are slim anyway. 

Eh ? We could have sold that last Saturday and for the New Year Derby as two examples this season alone. Continue this run into the new year and go on to win the Championship and we will have sell outs every match. The whole new ethos of the club is about growing it whether it be the way we are bringing our youngsters through or our coaches or developing our fan base. The current capacity of Tynecastle is totally restrictive as are the facilities. This does not mean we have to move but it does mean change has to happen in due course.

Yep, it's always been the elephant in the room but the way I see it is that we will not have a better person in charge to make this huge decision than now so the ball has to be set rolling in the next couple of years.

I didn't trust Romanov one little bit on the future of Tynie and Pieman was a shambles anyway. I trust AB to do this properly, eben though I may not like the answers.

Bingo. Everything will be done to ensure the correct decision is made. Hopefully she will have far better relations with the appropriate people within the council etc to have this all looked at far more favorably.

Why would it be the "biggest step backwards" and why is building a new main stand the "only option"? I far prefer the redevelopment of Tynie as well, but if it ended up being in the best interests of the club to move to a new stadium then that would be ok.

Is it not the club that we support, no matter where it is? If location is so crucial to us, perhaps we could go back to playing at the Meadows? ;-)

Sadly the Main stand needs to be replaced and if done sensitively it will still retain some of its allure. I also think a capacity of 22k would be about right and that increase could be built within the new stand along with decent corporate facilities.

Why would it be the "biggest step backwards" and why is building a new main stand the "only option"? I far prefer the redevelopment of Tynie as well, but if it ended up being in the best interests of the club to move to a new stadium then that would be ok.

Is it not the club that we support, no matter where it is? If location is so crucial to us, perhaps we could go back to playing at the Meadows? ;-)

Would you have supported the club at Murrayfield?

Archived