BigBudgeCommunication

Paulie Walnut

If we can't fill a 17,000 stadium in a very accessible location more than a couple of times a year then we're nit going to fill a 23,000 out of town stadium.

No idea why anyone would think it would be a good idea to swap the history, location and atmosphere of a full Tynecasstle for a windswept prefab stadium in the middle of a giant carpark, which is the most likely option in our circumstances.

The trend globally in cities is densification and easily accessible facilities and amenities not more sprawl and forcing people into their cars. We have everything we need now - it just needs updating and repairing.

If the OF left Scotland then maybe we'd fill a bigger stadium as we'd be challenging for titles and Europe. Until then we're very lucky to have Tynecastle to watch football in.

But then again.

Maybe you're a multi-millionaire succesfull entrepreneur or maybe not, but I know that Anne Budge is.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I P Knightley

But it's not all about financial considerations.  We are trying to become a community club again, so moving away from the heart of our community for purely financial reasons would fly in the face of that.

How many locally based fans might we lose if we relocate to the outskirts of the city?  How many local businesses (OK by businesses I mean mainly pubs) would suffer if we relocated away from Gorgie?

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't relocate, but there are a lot more considerations to be taken into account, beyond the purely financial, before making that sort of decision.

The Edinburgh in which I grew up (1970s) had its heart ripped out by the development of out of town shopping centres. Whilst Tynie doesn't keep Gorgie alive, it's an important focal point for the area and you're right; to lose it would have a big impact on the area.

We've made a great start teamwise to living within our means. I doubt that a 25,000 capacity stadium on the outskirts of town would be consistent with that approach.

Archived