BigBudgeCommunication

Paulie Walnut

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Franco Fascione

I would really like to see the main stand refurbished as much as possible.  Keep it as it's a part of our history. In an age of shiny new stadiums that can be a bit soulless, make it safe first, (as AB has said), then spend money on upgrading it.  It can be done with other historic buildings, why not at Tynecastle?

Guest oldcastlerock2012

Nothing new here. Pretty much every owner has said we might move. Hope not and good to hear developing the Main Stand and staying at Tynecastle is her preferred option.

I reckon fans would be more open to a move away from tynecastle now knowing that it is a footballing decision and not one of greed or ego

Victor Meldrew

I reckon fans would be more open to a move away from tynecastle now knowing that it is a footballing decision and not one of greed or ego

Agreed. I think it's inevitable that it will happen though. I can't see how redeveloping the main stand will be sensible from a cost/benefit perspective. Cashing in on the site (at the appropriate time) and building a new stadium on the outskirts of town might not be the option we want from an emotional perspective, but I suspect would make considerable sense financially.

Is there no way to redevelop the Main Stand?

Id be very wary about selling the family silver & leaving Tynie unless it absolutely cannot be avoided.

Agreed. I think it's inevitable that it will happen though. I can't see how redeveloping the main stand will be sensible from a cost/benefit perspective. Cashing in on the site (at the appropriate time) and building a new stadium on the outskirts of town might not be the option we want from an emotional perspective, but I suspect would make considerable sense financially.

Isn't football built on emotion though?

Personally I have no interest in going to watch Football at an out of town retail park environment. Going to watch Hearts is much more than just going to watch sport. It's a massive part of my social life and I'm sure I am not alone in saying that. Moving from Tynecastle for me would alter that.

The Mighty Thor

It will cause a lot of heated debate but to me there is an inevitability about the whole thing. If the club is to survive and prosper long into the future then it's unlikely to be in the current tynecastle footprint.

The Real Maroonblood

When finance and time allows it the old stand could surely be replaced.

We could temporary play at Murrayfield until the new stand is completed.

If we move, and I know this is a long way away, I'd like to put my point of view across now. Please not some soulless out of town bowl type stadium. At least unique in some shape or form. 

Is there no way to redevelop the Main Stand?

Id be very wary about selling the family silver & leaving Tynie unless it absolutely cannot be avoided.

Of course it can be maintained or redeveloped and leaving Tynecastle is not necessary.  Even the original Not Fit For Purpose nonsense had only the need for a replacement roof - as if people knock their house down when it needs reslated.

I think that the lowest point of the Romanov era was the phoney survey on The Redevelopment of Tynecastle - which offered no questions on the redevelopment of Tynecastle - and was the precursor to a report full of bilge on how Tynecastle was not fit for purpose.  Setting up straw men which can then be knocked down is a very useful source of income for the sort of consultants used for reports like those.  Interesting that Dave Anderson left the Council in murky circumstances later ... though re-emerging with a rival bidder to FoH for Hearts!

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk.p.preprod.performgroup.com/articles/20111107/stadium-update_2241384_2508476

Then again - what about all that juicy car parking income?  Or 'non-matchday' revenue?  Or tram 'links'?  Or other school geography project rubbish ...

Will obviously wait to see what Ann Budge has to say and suspect that she will say that there are costs involved with maintenance and limitations to revenue with the existing stadium and any replacement would be longer term issues - but in my opinion would hope that no-one seen as a temporary custodian of the club prior to fan ownership would put in motion an attempt to move from Tynecastle.  Doubt very much that she would take that route anyway.

Dagger Is Back

Moving from Tynie would be a sad sad day. However, times move on and a stadium needs to be far more than a place where football is played once every two weeks. The best stadium on it's day for atmosphere, due to the way it's been built, but not fit for purpose when you think about missed opportunities.

Think she comes across really well.

Knows what she wants, and can see she wants what is best for the club.

Queen Ann.

Will obviously wait to see what Ann Budge has to say and suspect that she will say that there are costs involved with maintenance and limitations to revenue with the existing stadium and any replacement would be longer term issues - but in my opinion would hope that no-one seen as a temporary custodian of the club prior to fan ownership would put in motion an attempt to move from Tynecastle.  Doubt very much that she would take that route anyway.

All custodians are temporary Coco, in real terms

Here's a bit more of the interview- 'Promotion not a necessity'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30202774?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Hearts owner Ann Budge will not look upon it as total failure if the club fails to gain promotion to the Scottish Premiership this season.

She says that, as long as other elements of the business are on track, winning promotion is not a necessity.

"If we've invested in the academy, we've got new players coming through, we've sorted out all the scouting problems," she told BBC Scotland.

"If we addressed all of these things then fine, we carry on with the plan....."If we get to the end of the season and we miss out on promotion, I won't consider that a complete failure, as long as we have moved ahead in all of these other areas..." (cont)

She comes across fantastically. From what i've seen so far if she wants to stay, let her stay.

She cares like we all do, but she is doing everything with 2 main things in her head.. 1) Is it best for the club?  2) Does it make financial sense?

Might even be able to get the Mrs to travel up with me to games with the snazzy ladies toilets she is hinting at too... 

Caspian Primrose

Sighthill on the cards again?

I'd be OK with that. Not Straiton, which Robinson was on about. All options regarding redevelopment of the main stand must be explored first.

Moving from Tynie would be a sad sad day. However, times move on and a stadium needs to be far more than a place where football is played once every two weeks. The best stadium on it's day for atmosphere, due to the way it's been built, but not fit for purpose when you think about missed opportunities.

We need to be careful that moving from Tynecastle does not rip the heart from the Club - it is a special and historic place and I think we need to do all possible to stay there.

With regards to increased use of the stadium I assume you mean hiring out the pitch - that would be driven by the introduction of an all weather surface that frankly I think all Clubs will have in a few years.

With regards to use of the stadium for corporate events we already have the Gorgie Suite.

The preferred way forward for me is that we leave the main stand existing fa?ade (as they did at Ibrox), demolish the rest, and build a new stand (similar to ER East) with a new roof, and dressing rooms, corporate suites, etc, underneath.  That could give us a 20,000 capacity stadium which would be more that sufficient for our needs.

Not withstanding the above I have total confidence that Ann will make the right decision for her/our Club.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Watched both interviews. Tremendously humble. A plan of substance will be her legacy is my take. You just know she will get it right.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We need to be careful that moving from Tynecastle does not rip the heart from the Club - it is a special and historic place and I think we need to do all possible to stay there.

With regards to increased use of the stadium I assume you mean hiring out the pitch - that would be driven by the introduction of an all weather surface that frankly I think all Clubs will have in a few years.

With regards to use of the stadium for corporate events we already have the Gorgie Suite.

The preferred way forward for me is that we leave the main stand existing fa?ade (as they did at Ibrox), demolish the rest, and build a new stand (similar to ER East) with a new roof, and dressing rooms, corporate suites, etc, underneath.  That could give us a 20,000 capacity stadium which would be more that sufficient for our needs.

Not withstanding the above I have total confidence that Ann will make the right decision for her/our Club.

Current facilities are either, weak, inferior or outdated. A new stadium would offer far more opportunity. However I agree, the day we move out, if we ever do, will break my heart like no other day in football, 3/5/86 included.

I don't think it will rip our spirit as long as it is done the right way. I'm just back from the States, one of the most iconic and characteristic stadia has just been replaced, Candlestick Park. 30 miles South East the new Levis Stadium replaces it at 1.6 billion dollars but the fans have embraced it even with the distance, because its modern. Now we cant expect to build something of that proportion of course, but we can build a museum as they have done and we can remember Tynecastle fondly in memorium done properly.

It needs to be well packaged, the future fans of Hearts may well expect that we do it for them, but Ann, it will break my heart

Current facilities are either, weak, inferior or outdated. A new stadium would offer far more opportunity. However I agree, the day we move out, if we ever do, will break my heart like no other day in football, 3/5/86 included.

I don't think it will rip our spirit as long as it is done the right way. I'm just back from the States, one of the most iconic and characteristic stadia has just been replaced, Candlestick Park. 30 miles South East the new Levis Stadium replaces it at 1.6 billion dollars but the fans have embraced it even with the distance, because its modern. Now we cant expect to build something of that proportion of course, but we can build a museum as they have done and we can remember Tynecastle fondly in memorium done properly.

It needs to be well packaged, the future fans of Hearts may well expect that we do it for them, but Ann, it will break my heart

I was at the 49rs new stadium last year just before completion - fantastic facility.

However the family member we were visiting is a big 49rs fan.  He said that the move out of San Francisco was very controversial and they did lose a lot of long standing fans based in SF.  The attendances at the new stadium remain full to capacity basically because the waiting list for tickets way exceeds demand.

Refreshing that we now have an owner who talks sense; communicates with fans; and wants whats best for the club.

Than you Ann.

Malinga the Swinga

On Radio Scotland just now. Pretty sensible views, nothing outrageous, just common sense and a strong business outlook.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I was at the 49rs new stadium last year just before completion - fantastic facility.

However the family member we were visiting is a big 49rs fan.  He said that the move out of San Francisco was very controversial and they did lose a lot of long standing fans based in SF.  The attendances at the new stadium remain full to capacity basically because the waiting list for tickets way exceeds demand.

Spoke to a few on the way down on the train. They all agreed, Candlestick was no longer fit for purpose. The main concern the guys had, ordinary man was being priced out and season tickets were not accessible to all.

The 2 aren't comparable, but the attachment to the stadium probably is.

Wanted, older lady friend, note that I am partial to the name Ann. Preferred surname budge or similar. Business acumen a must. Good natured. Talks sense.

What a woman. And there were those who were wandering what we weore going to get. That interview....class

Guest oldcastlerock2012

If we can't fill a 17,000 stadium in a very accessible location more than a couple of times a year then we're nit going to fill a 23,000 out of town stadium.

No idea why anyone would think it would be a good idea to swap the history, location and atmosphere of a full Tynecasstle for a windswept prefab stadium in the middle of a giant carpark, which is the most likely option in our circumstances.

The trend globally in cities is densification and easily accessible facilities and amenities not more sprawl and forcing people into their cars. We have everything we need now - it just needs updating and repairing.

If the OF left Scotland then maybe we'd fill a bigger stadium as we'd be challenging for titles and Europe. Until then we're very lucky to have Tynecastle to watch football in.

If we can't fill a 17,000 stadium in a very accessible location more than a couple of times a year then we're nit going to fill a 23,000 out of town stadium.

No idea why anyone would think it would be a good idea to swap the history, location and atmosphere of a full Tynecasstle for a windswept prefab stadium in the middle of a giant carpark, which is the most likely option in our circumstances.

The trend globally in cities is densification and easily accessible facilities and amenities not more sprawl and forcing people into their cars. We have everything we need now - it just needs updating and repairing.

If the OF left Scotland then maybe we'd fill a bigger stadium as we'd be challenging for titles and Europe. Until then we're very lucky to have Tynecastle to watch football in.

Couldn't agee more with your post.

Son Of Anarchy

Has a replica of Tynie with the corners filled in and a wheatfieldesque stand replacing the main stand? By replica I mean similar in that the stands are real close to the pitch and able to be built on etc. Id say that could add up to the required 25k we would need. I'd rather we stayed put but a similar larger stadium at Sighthill would be preferable to a soulless arena at loan head for example.

Watching Ann stroll down the side of the pitch looking around our fabulous stadium, why do I get a lump in the throat!!

Guess The Crowd

Wanted, older lady friend, note that I am partial to the name Ann. Preferred surname budge or similar. Business acumen a must. Good natured. Talks sense.

What a woman. And there were those who were wandering what we weore going to get. That interview....class

Just listened to it.

She's very softly spoken, but not just smart - dignified and classy with it.

A very sensible summary I would say.

The last thing we need is some soulless place out of town with a capacity that we can hardly ever fill. 

We are a well supported club by Scottish standards but there is a limit. 

It should also be remembered that clubs depend on ST sales to plan their expenditure for the season. If the capacity is to large folk wont bother with STs as they know they can just walk up whenever they like. Then if the weathers c**p and the team are playing poor they might not bother at all.

There is a few things that I do not understand. Such as if its OK to have 17000 fans in Tynecastle as it is why is there a H&S problem about building a new stand on the current site. Either the site is safe or it is not.We are only talking about a larger stand .How is that a problem ?

Watching Ann stroll down the side of the pitch looking around our fabulous stadium, why do I get a lump in the trousers!

Not sure mate.

Last week there were a lot of Hearts fans looking for tickets never mind the thousands of Rangers fans who would have taken tickets had we not cut their allocation. This is all lost income. There will be literally several thousand Hearts fans locked out of the upcoming New Years derby match. Apart from the fact we are losing out on revenue from these matches we should be looking to grow the fan base if we are ever to compete in the way some people hope that we can. We need to show ambition within reason. A new stand at Tynecastle would be the vast majorities preference and if it is possible it will hopefully hold around 10,000 which will see a very suitable capacity of around 22-23k. Not every seat needs to be filled every single week but the opportunity to have up to that number would benefit us greatly. It's also likely that such a new stand would see a greater variety of ticket prices with the older 3 stands considerably cheaper given their relative facilities compared to the new main stand.

What's a rough cost for a decent sized(say 10k) two tier stand?,

Not sure this is correct but from what I remember its ?1000 a seat. So 6,000 stand is ?6M, 10,000 stand is ?10M.

jambos are go!

In my view the stadium redevolpment issue will be decided by the amount of financial support available from assocociated and beneficial property and commercial projects consent at any location. That does not rule out Tynecastle but I worry that its not the Councils preferred option. Most of the available city centre is now developed and the brown field land from Macleod Street to Murrayfield is an obvious attraction on the west side of the City near the Trams IMO.

But it's not all about financial considerations.  We are trying to become a community club again, so moving away from the heart of our community for purely financial reasons would fly in the face of that.

How many locally based fans might we lose if we relocate to the outskirts of the city?  How many local businesses (OK by businesses I mean mainly pubs) would suffer if we relocated away from Gorgie?

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't relocate, but there are a lot more considerations to be taken into account, beyond the purely financial, before making that sort of decision.

Toxteth O'Grady

We need to stay at Tynie IMO. Hearts and Tynie cannot be separated in my mind.

For me supporting Hearts involves going to Gorgie, that's it for me , just replace the old stand it cant be that difficult.

Archived