The Match Programme

Francis Albert

Francis Albert

Most club's match programmes are full of pictures with words largely confined to "what's your favourite food" type interviews with players and the like, and worth about ten minutes at HT or on the bus home.

I thought yesterday's was possibly the best read I've had from a programme. Yes, thre were the usual banal, same every week contributions from Robbie and Danny, but also news items on MND and the air craft carrier thing, Kent Jambos visit to Tynie for the Raith game, and a two page spread with good photos of the Haymarket rembrance service, a lengthy interview with Kevin McHattie, a couple of pages on the Big Hearts fundraising event with pictures of legends in attendance (would have liked more captions with names), a good article by Mark Donaldson on his first games at Tynecastle with  nostalgic pictures of players and the old terracing of the 80's and the iconic Julie Ramsay painting of the Gorgie Road entrance with the old wooden sign (should have been attributed to the artist though), a good 5 pages read on previous significant games this century between us and the OF, 4 pages of the latest of Gary Cowen's series of reviews of programmes and matches of our first campaign in the second tier league, 4 pages of David Speed's continuing history of the 1914/18 season, and Mike Smith with three pages on the old pre-internet days of football stickers and cards. Altogether quite a meaty read with good pictures too. A minor criticism would be the "Welcome to Our Visitors" section which unnecessarily emphasised (or if you like lied about)  "Founded in 1872".

Congrats to all involved in producing this and helping to pass my long journey home.

It has been fantastic for a few years now, and deserves the awards it has won. The Remembrance edition, for the Raith game was particularly fantastic, and a steal for ?3.50.

MarkDonaldson

That clash of heads in the Gers cup tie still makes me shudder! Looking forward to coming home for Xmas/New Year and getting my programme bundle from the games so far to read on the trip back to Connecticut.

The Real Maroonblood

That clash of heads in the Gers cup tie still makes me shudder! Looking forward to coming home for Xmas/New Year and getting my programme bundle from the games so far to read on the trip back to Connecticut.

Good to see you posting Mark.

I hope everything is going well in the USA.

2 major objections to yesterday's programme. I buy it every time and I think it's great.

BUT

1 yesterday was the first time we have played The Rangers so while references to games with their predecessors are relevant we should not be intimidated into pretending that this is the   same club. That diminishes our own efforts, and good luck, in keeping HMFC alive.

2 I could not believe I would ever read in OUR programme that we are a provincial club (Laurie Dunsire's otherwise interesting article). Last time I checked we play in Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland.

MacDonald Jardine

2 major objections to yesterday's programme. I buy it every time and I think it's great.

BUT

1 yesterday was the first time we have played The Rangers so while references to games with their predecessors are relevant we should not be intimidated into pretending that this is the same club. That diminishes our own efforts, and good luck, in keeping HMFC alive.

2 I could not believe I would ever read in OUR programme that we are a provincial club (Laurie Dunsire's otherwise interesting article). Last time I checked we play in Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland.

1. FFS. Not this again.

2. Agreed.

Overall the programme has been fantastic for the last few years.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

kingantti1874

BUT

1 yesterday was the first time we have played The Rangers so while references to games with their predecessors are relevant we should not be intimidated into pretending that this is the same club. That diminishes our own efforts, and good luck, in keeping HMFC alive.

On the second point noticed that also.. Was gonna tweet him about it

Francis Albert

The page giving previous results and team line ups is over complicated with all the coloured squares.

That's true. I've never really tried to interpret it ... my eyes must have passed over it assuming it was some piece of abstract art.

It's a very good programme, and the Remembrance game edition is excellent.

In terms of the objections raised above about yesterday's edition, point 2 is entirely valid, but regarding the first point, as a club we should be seen to be above making attempts at petty point scoring, regardless of how we feel about the newco.

That sort of thing should be left to the fans, who rammed those feelings home very vociferously throughout the game.  I can't remember the last time my voice felt so hoarse after a game.  

Particularly enjoyed the feature about all the recent times we've gotten it right up the OF in yesterdays.

Me too.  Just a pity we won't have the opportunity to beat Rangers FC 1873-2012 ever again.  But it is fun to continue our 100% record against The Rangers.

It is certainly one of the best programmes in Scotland right now. I am glad the OP and others are enjoying it.

If anyone has any comments they'd like me to pass on to the editor, I'd be happy to do so 

Thanks

GC

• 3 weeks later...

The comments about my use of the word provincial have been noted. Apologies, was trying to refer to the teams outwith Rangers and Celtic but certainly provincial is not technically accurate for all other clubs, including us.

Hope everyone enjoys the programme though, as mentioned above I've found almost every other programme I pick up around the country is just filled with adverts and page-filling information. There is real wealth of stuff in ours and the production values under 442 are superb. I'll freely admit that I don't always have as much to say before a game as I'd like but between all the contributors there is always plenty of interesting content to get stuck into. 

Archived