Plans for a museum at Tynecastle?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

Mentioned on the thread about the othwr night's meeting that this is being considered, it's an interesting idea. Where would it be? What would we show? How much could we charge?

Sure I remember reading on here our archives were in some state and that items have been lost. Any fans out there got unique items they'd be willing to loan, I wonder?

a few muted the old shop under the gorgie stand, but I think the space isn't big enough, maybe under the wheatfield would be better? as an aside if under the wheatfield was an option and it being a museum would it qualify for a lottery grant?

a few muted the old shop under the gorgie stand, but I think the space isn't big enough, maybe under the wheatfield would be better? as an aside if under the wheatfield was an option and it being a museum would it qualify for a lottery grant?

Imagine us getting a lottery grant, more seething from the hubs.

Mentioned on the thread about the othwr night's meeting that this is being considered, it's an interesting idea. Where would it be? What would we show? How much could we charge?

Sure I remember reading on here our archives were in some state and that items have been lost. Any fans out there got unique items they'd be willing to loan, I wonder?

Not before time really.

Been collecting for a good few years now and have one or two unique items thatid be more than happy to loan out.

Anyone who hasn't been to the museum in Dickens needs to go have a look,it's quite incredible the stuff Calum has managed to put in it.I promise you won't be disappointed.

never thought of that, this must happen now, we should push for a lottery grant, it's fur wur kulcher ye ken :2thumbsup:

Craig Herbertson

Anyone who hasn't been to the museum in Dickens needs to go have a look,it's quite incredible the stuff Calum has managed to put in it.I promise you won't be disappointed.

It is really amazing. The collection itself is stunning and the presentation is as good as any professional museum

William H. Bonney

Just a shame it's in a shithole pub.

Would rather we got a new/refurbished main stand before we think about anything else.

tartofmidlothian

Would rather we got a new/refurbished main stand before we think about anything else.

Putting the cart before the horse a bit there. I'd reckon a museum would be cheap, easy to put together and a source of income from the start. Nowt to do with having a main stand or not, really.

Hearts Heritage

Putting the cart before the horse a bit there. I'd reckon a museum would be cheap, easy to put together and a source of income from the start. Nowt to do with having a main stand or not, really.

Not cheap - Items have to be stored in secure display casings

tartofmidlothian

Cheaper than building a new main stand by some way...

Sub4TiddlerMurray

There's already been a heritage lottery grant for the tour displays

Just a shame it's in a shithole pub.

Nothing wrong with Dickens mate.Cracking wee pub that contributes a lot of money to our club!

Nothing wrong with Dickens mate.Cracking wee pub that contributes a lot of money to our club!

I am not a fan of it personally, but they have helped the club out a lot, so fair play to them.

jamboinglasgow

Yup, plus if you want people to come to provide a regular income for it, then it needs something to stand out, so interactive exhibits (so touch screens for example with programs on it) you need it to be fully decorated and may require hiring a few more staff to run it. I do think that the space under the Wheatfield could provide a great space to do something like this. But that in itself requires extra costs to build.

So if you want to create a source of regular income in a museum, especially if you are aiming for tourists, then it requires a good bit of capital to set it up. I have been to Arsenal's museum and thats well done.

tartofmidlothian

Yup, plus if you want people to come to provide a regular income for it, then it needs something to stand out, so interactive exhibits (so touch screens for example with programs on it) you need it to be fully decorated and may require hiring a few more staff to run it. I do think that the space under the Wheatfield could provide a great space to do something like this. But that in itself requires extra costs to build.

So if you want to create a source of regular income in a museum, especially if you are aiming for tourists, then it requires a good bit of capital to set it up. I have been to Arsenal's museum and thats well done.

I really doubt we would be aiming for tourists, we're not Barca or anything. Something as comprehensive as possible, fiver a pop, aim to get our 15000 regulars through the doors over the first year, there's ?75k. Then repeat and new first-time visits in future years, maybe sell a few bits and pieces at the till, and so on.

Cheaper than building a new main stand by some way...

The Main Stand is a museum exhibit in its own right.

It is being planned and managed by people who have the appropriate experience.

Excellent news...I am sure it will be a real asset for our club going forward, something we can all be proud of.

tartofmidlothian

It is being planned and managed by people who have the appropriate experience.

Great to hear.

Could tie it in with the club shop so u come out there might encourage more folk to shop there especially if they have kids with them

Was at Old Trafford a few years back and done the stadium tour. They started the tour from their museum with life size figure of Peter Smichael, then the tour then finished up in their superstore club shop. It was quite impressive even for a non Man Utd fan! Thought that might help with some ideas to develop the museum. Utd also have their Red Devils club located in the same area, could be that a club and museum could work together.

The shop under the Gorgie isn't really that big. Although it was normally busy and full of stock so maybe it would be a viable place.

chester copperpot

Having been to a fair few larger clubs museums, I find it hard to see how we could fill it up with enough stuff to make it a financial success. I'm not being a dick here but people tend to tour these things to take in the clubs success i.e trophies naw?

No one would come except Hearts fans IMO, and you'd prob only do it the once to say you've been.

Ach maybe I'm just being a pessimistic ***** this afternoon!

tartofmidlothian

Having been to a fair few larger clubs museums, I find it hard to see how we could fill it up with enough stuff to make it a financial success. I'm not being a dick here but people tend to tour these things to take in the clubs success i.e trophies naw?

No one would come except Hearts fans IMO, and you'd prob only do it the once to say you've been.

There's one story in our history that (almost) no other club has and a lot of non football fans would be interested in.

Otherwise we've got enough history to make it a good visit for fans of the club.

Hearts Heritage

You clearly don't know what the club has hidden away.

The club has far more than it could possibly display.

The plan would be to keep it regularly 'rotated' with special themes.

"And our next exhibit is Hibs dignity, They have been trying to recover it for over 100 years now but every time they come to take it back they shit their pants and run away crying."

chester copperpot

You clearly don't know what the club has hidden away.

The club has far more than it could possibly display.

The plan would be to keep it regularly 'rotated' with special themes.

I don't take enough interest in the clubs history, to that I will hold my hands up.

Care to enlighten me on some of the rotational stuff that would get people coming back time and time again. I'm not being a smart arse here, I'm genuinely interested to know what would get punters making it a financial success!

Museum is a great idea. Of course there would have to be a tribute to hibs too so that their role in our success isn't forgotten.

I think we should look to naming the museum along the lines of soviet factories. How does "The 19th of May Museum" sound?

Hearts Heritage

I don't take enough interest in the clubs history, to that I will hold my hands up.

Care to enlighten me on some of the rotational stuff that would get people coming back time and time again. I'm not being a smart arse here, I'm genuinely interested to know what would get punters making it a financial success!

If it had been taken place this season

The story of the 1914-15 season

Other things could be

Hearts 100 plus Internationals

Hearts Captains

Hearts overseas tours

Hammers Of The Hibs

Hearts In Europe

The John Robertson (or any another suitable player) Story

Other things could be

Hearts Captains

Hearts overseas tours

Hammers Of The Hibs

Hearts In Europe

Have you never thought of forming a Heart of Midlothian History Society with quarterly newsletter, talks and such like?

tartofmidlothian

Other things could be

Hearts Captains

Hearts overseas tours

Hammers Of The Hibs

Hearts In Europe

All fantastic ideas, it's great that we have the content to do this. Treat it like an art gallery, change up the show every six months, that'll be great for return visits.

Are you involved in this at all? And do you know anything about the loss of items as discussed on here a while back?

As mentioned earlier in this thread, The Dickens Bar & Hearts Museum on Dalry Rd, has a wide array of memoribilia. With Medals from League winning seasons 1896 AND 1958,as well as our 4 league cup wins.Other medals include Victory Cup, EoS Shield,Inter City Cup and Victory Cup. Craig Beatttie,Robbie Neilson,Rudi Skacel and several current first team players have all visited and endorsed this wonderful trip down memory lane,with season tickets as far back as 1906, A Tribute to Mcraes battalion,a Hearts library and lots ,lots more.there is no charge for guided tours and photography is welcomed. Having a pint is optional, and private visits welcomed.

Any fan wishing to visit can simply pop into pub or PM myself to arrange.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, The Dickens Bar & Hearts Museum on Dalry Rd, has a wide array of memoribilia. With Medals from League winning seasons 1896 AND 1958,as well as our 4 league cup wins.Other medals include Victory Cup, EoS Shield,Inter City Cup and Victory Cup. Craig Beatttie,Robbie Neilson,Rudi Skacel and several current first team players have all visited and endorsed this wonderful trip down memory lane,with season tickets as far back as 1906, A Tribute to Mcraes battalion,a Hearts library and lots ,lots more.there is no charge for guided tours and photography is welcomed. Having a pint is optional, and private visits welcomed.

Any fan wishing to visit can simply pop into pub or PM myself to arrange.

It is great Clum, I enjoyed my time up there last season and my nephew had a ball after the Cowden game when you gave him a personnal tour.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

Other things could be

Hearts Captains

Hearts overseas tours

Hammers Of The Hibs

Hearts In Europe

Still think there should be a proper Hall of Fame and a Bobby Walker feature.

Most of all, there should be an immersive trench experience that tells the full story of the McCraes battalion. The letters from the trenches belong at Tynecastle now that we have guys like you to look after them and the facilities to look after them. No excuse now for them to be in a private collection IMO. The full story should be where new generations can learn what it means.

It was in hand, with a location decided but I'm not sure how high a priority it is now, though.

According to Eric hogg at shareholders dinner feasibility study underway and will be discussed at board meeting on November.

A call to fan's to donate things of interest, or loan them to the club. There must be some very interesting stuff out there. Badges, medals, program's, posters, International cap's pennants, scarfs of old and tops, football rattles, rosettes, Just a thought.

tartofmidlothian

A call to fan's to donate things of interest, or loan them to the club. There must be some very interesting stuff out there. Badges, medals, program's, posters, International cap's pennants, scarfs of old and tops, football rattles, rosettes, Just a thought.

It's a good thought, bound to happen.

Fxxx the SPFL

i'm sure i read somewhere that the league title flag 1957/58 dissapeared !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to Eric hogg at shareholders dinner feasibility study underway and will be discussed at board meeting on November.

good news ... we need to take things slowly and not just throw money at it

it will be worth waiting for

Archived