Footballer as a quarterback

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

If you can find one, this is one of my favourite type of players. Normally characterised by being a bit of a lazy bassa but capable of dictating tempo and the killer pass.

For Hearts Fulton stands out. Other favourites are riquelme and molby. Xavi and Silva probably fit the mould without the lazy bassa but. Any other favourites

Randle P McMurphy

If you can find one, this is one of my favourite type of players. Normally characterised by being a bit of a lazy bassa but capable of dictating tempo and the killer pass.

For Hearts Fulton stands out. Other favourites are riquelme and molby. Xavi and Silva probably fit the mould without the lazy bassa but. Any other favourites

Guest Bilel Mohsni

On a tangent here, but... Did Henry Smith not get a couple of games for The Scottish Claymores? Around bout the same time as Stacy?

Randle P McMurphy

Lord Beni of Gorgie

On the Vincent Guerin thread Jim Bett is mentioned. Great passers are few and far between.

Randle P McMurphy
On the Vincent Guerin thread Jim Bett is mentioned. Great passers are few and far between.

I had him down but changed my mind, I still think of him as primarily a left sided player. Quarterback dominates the middle of the park. In Riquelmes case barely leaving the centre circle

From my limited knowledge of the quarterback position the player who comes closest to fitting the criteria is Yaya Toure.

Randle P McMurphy
From my limited knowledge of the quarterback position the player who comes closest to fitting the criteria is Yaya Toure.

Nah, it's Silva for man city

Randle P McMurphy
Ray Wilkins

Probably, don't remember him being very productive though. Still think of him as master of keeping possession without actually creating much

On a tangent here, but... Did Henry Smith not get a couple of games for The Scottish Claymores? Around bout the same time as Stacy?

You not thinking of Gavin Hastings? Or did Henry, Henry get a run out too?

Maroon Sailor

Probably, don't remember him being very productive though. Still think of him as master of keeping possession without actually creating much

On that basis I'll change my mind to Glenn Hoddle

Nah. Hartley at a push

Would agree with Hartley. Rudi was a bit more advanced than these players mentioned but he was a player who done sod all a lot but had the ability to change a game just like that.

Randle P McMurphy

Would agree with Hartley. Rudi was a bit more advanced than these players mentioned but he was a player who done sod all a lot but had the ability to change a game just like that.

Agree, Rudi mainly created for himself

Randle P McMurphy
Paul Scholes?

I think of scholes as more of an all rounder. Capable of quarterbacking but also running back and tackler

Guest Bilel Mohsni

You not thinking of Gavin Hastings? Or did Henry, Henry get a run out too?

I think Henry got a run out too. Bit hazy though... I found American football utterly mind-numbing and eye-bleeding at the time, and its not got any more exciting for me since. :unsure:

I think Henry got a run out too. Bit hazy though... I found American football utterly mind-numbing and eye-bleeding at the time, and its not got any more exciting for me since. :unsure:

I was 10 and they had dunkin donuts.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I was 10 and they had dunkin donuts.

I was only a year or two older, and my mate had free tickets... Worst four hours of my childhood.

Randle P McMurphy
Neil MacFarlane.

Naturally creepy, no favourite/greatest player thread is complete without your Neil MacFarlane nomination

Nucky Thompson

A QB is a leader of the team that everyone looks up to. Elvis, John Terry and Stevie Gerrard are the obvious ones that come to me

I would think of it as a deep lying midfielder who sprays passes all over. Pirlo is a good shout as is the scottish Pirlo .... Jamie Hamill.....

The best i have seen though was Steffan Effingberg for Bayern Munich. Hamillesque

Riquelme is a good shout. Or a personal favourite of mine, Hagi for Romania.

Definitely Hoddle though, I remember hearing an interview with someone where they said he used to put backspin on the ball so it wouldn't run away from the person receiving the pass.

I would think of it as a deep lying midfielder who sprays passes all over. Pirlo is a good shout as is the scottish Pirlo .... Jamie Hamill.....

The best i have seen though was Steffan Effingberg for Bayern Munich. Hamillesque

The most ridiculous post I've ever read, to suggest Stefan Effinberg came close to Jamie is just delusional!

Samuel Camazzola

Fulton was never 'lazy'!

I think the player you are looking for is Carlos Valderama. Close thread.

Fulton was never 'lazy'!

I think the player you are looking for is Carlos Valderama. Close thread.

Large, and i use the word advisedly, parts of Fulton's career were unutilized because he was lazy. When he was with us he was a top class player and seldom lazy - if he had found this earlier in his career he'd have played at a higher level.

Archived