When I was young, I followed HEARTS !

brownsbazaar

When I was young, I followed HEARTS !

What mental things have you done just to see your beloved team ?

When I was 15 I found myself on a camping / fishing trip to Aberfeldy with three school mates. During our stay the great Heart of Midlothian just happened to be playing a midweek League Cup section tie against St Johnstone at Muirton Park in Perth. I of course suggested that we travel to Perth to see the greatest team in the world. Och, we widnae be able tae get back to the campsite tonite ? no bus to Aberfeldy after the match ! were the dour replies ! Not to be beaten, I decided to go on my own anyway, taking my sleeping bag and large plastic sheet with me. Bus to Perth was easy, found my spot in the Jambo support and I was proud as punch when the boys in Maroon took to the park. Naturally, The Hearts won the game, the great Jim Brown striking a ball from outside the box that struck the bar hitting the diving goalie on the back and ending up in the net ! A great night ! Then reality dawned ? how do I get back to Aberfeldy. All the Jambos headed off to Edinburgh and I started walking in the opposite direction trying to thumb a lift ? no luck. About one in the morning, absolutely knackered, I snuggled into my sleeping bag at side side of some punters garden hut, wrapped like a cocoon in the plastic sheet. Woke up in the morning and finally managed to get a lift for the final miles to the camp site arriving at 7 am. Mates thought I was mental. Parents would have gone mental !, but I had seen my team, the Heart of Midlothian. A great night !

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Slept in my car overnight at Elgin after a moonlight flit from a B & B we hadn't booked into in the first place, somehow got to Montrose the next afternoon, from memory. Derby the following week was a picnic, hurled out the back door of a nightclub to protect us from some mad locals. JJs first game, 3 3 from 3 0 down including an OG from the halfway line.

I took a grand loan from the bank in July in order to buy season tickets. Everyone has slagged me, I'm happy with my decision.

Persuaded my mum to let me stay off school when I stayed in Hawick so I could go to the Hearts - Sparta Prague game. What a shite decision that was.

Not mental but Im sure I really disappointed my parents when I came home a week early from our family holiday on my own to get to Robbos testimonial.

Even more furious was my 18 year old sister who lost a free house for a week.

:pleasing:

Stuart McNeill

brother, 14 at the time. lied to my parents saying his mates dad was taken him to Ross County. in actual fact, he was planning on going on his own. Only got caught when slipped up to me.

Plugged school to travel to Goodison Park to see Hearts V Everton in the old Texaco Cup. Remember being in a pub with plastic tumblers getting bevied. Came out the pub half cut and slapped a police horse on the arse and ended up standing with a handfull of horse-shit in the middle of the road. Busby scored the winner - lost my voice singing -great Hearts support that night.

Maroon Sailor

Coming home on summer leave, driving up from Portsmouth, I had set out to make a league cup tie at Falkirk.

Got stuck in horrendous traffic just about all the way up to Carlisle but I was determined to get to Brockville. Eventually got there with 25 minutes to go, Hearts were 2-1 up, Falkirk down to 9 men - thought I missed all the action but 2 late goals made it worthwhile.

Thankfully those were the days when you could nip in for nowt with 20 or so minutes remaining.

Tayside Jambo

Only one I can think of was getting into Edinburgh at 4am to queue for hearts semi tickets against Hibs. School was closed (janny's on strike) so dad dropped me off then went to work. Got off the platform at Linlithgow and about to walk home nice and smug, when my mates (hibs lads) were getting on the same train headed for Glasgow, with confused looks as to why I was getting off the train so early. Flashed the tickets and was giving them the big ones.

Paris '84. Train from Grimsby to Edinburgh, wallet and coat nicked half way there. Still got on one of the busses from Tynecastle and arrived in Paris with around ?2 in my pocket. Bought a tube of smarties and a beta bar from a kiosk and made it to the match. Fell asleep in a flower bed under the Eiffel Tower and ended up in the luggage hold of one of the busses. Arrived back in Edinburgh on the Thursday and had to call my mum to bail me out and get me back to Grimsby as I was on guard duty on the Friday night. Great few days

Was over in Northern Ireland for my best mate's surprise 30th birthday party. As we were playing Hibs the day after at ER I booked onto the Sunday morning Easyjet flight to Glasgow where I would then drive to ER for the game.

Things started to get a bit strange when I flew out on the Saturday morning. I got stopped at the Police desk after checking in and quizzed about the purpose of my trip. Weird, I'd never even seen these desks manned before! I was then approached by the Police again before boarding the flight and had my hand luggage searched. Really weird!

Arrived in Belfast and yep, got stopped and quizzed by the police as I made my way through the terminal.

Anyway, off I went to the city centre and had a great day and night thinking nothing more about the mornings events.

Turned up at Belfast Airport on the Sunday morning and went to check in for my flight excited about going to the Derby. And then the girl says "sorry sir, you're not booked onto this flight!" Panic then sets in when she points out I was booked on the flight on Saturday and not Sunday.

Well at least that explains why the police were so interested in me. Booked a return flight with a 40min stay in Belfast. :facepalm:

Had to pay double my return fare just for a single to get back in time. Get to the game, and we are honking, absolutely honking. 1-0 down going into stoppage time and I'm cursing the fact that it cost me ?130 to get there, and then that beautiful sub Neil Janczyk changes everything.

Best ?130 I've ever spent in my life.

Falling asleep driving on the M8 on the way back from THAT Ayr game.

Scared the shite out of my pals. Was only for about 3 seconds.

Private Womble

Climbed out my bedroom windows (after being grounded) to get a train to Glasgow for a 1-1 draw at parkhead. Dad spotted me on TV before the game started saying it would be 5-0 to Hearts. Also had a half bottle of Buckfast in my hand :lol: The grounding continued for a bit after that.

Bridge of Djoum

Passed up the opportunity of a shag to watch hearts play.

The bird dodged a bullet there then!

Slept under a car in an Inverness camp site after a tent pitching anomoly at a friendly vs Inv.Caley (pre Caley Thistle days). No sleeping bag anaw. Just me, the grass and the car's rear axle.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Get up at 5am, get home at midnight for the majority of home games..... :brucey:

Forever young !!

i wish jj was my dad

Nothing too exciting for me apart from plugging school on Wednesday afternoons to go to Pittodrie. What sticks in my mind was that it always seemed to end with Roddie Mcdonald getting sent off for banjoing somebody.

Archived