HMSA Meeting Tonight

TurboT

She was very impressive as was Eric Hogg. Amusing when she suggested we could easily get more than a pound for the stadium naming rights!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was very impressive as was Eric Hogg. Amusing when she suggested we could easily get more than a pound for the stadium naming rights!

Was that quip in the context of actually selling the stadium naming rights?

The reason she gave for looking forward to her next meeting with Robbie was to ask him to explain "where it had all gone wrong" (tactically) against Hibs. He normally gives her a preview of his tactics for the next game at their Friday meetings in some detail. She was joking but obviously has a devilish streak.

Is that true about giving her a preview of tactics? I doubt she really needs the detail but I suspect it is a good way of knowing how focused Robbie is to each game and to the club in general.

I haven't seen her speaking (yet) but the thing that grabs me is how her comments from last night and in other interviews actually seem to suggest she might be enjoying herself. I remember not being worried as such when she took over, but certainly wondering how a woman from her type of professional background would find the world of football and all the media scrutiny and weirdness that comes with it. I really do hope she is enjoying it, because lord knows the rest of us are enjoying what she's doing.

Plus, she's awfy impressive. :)

The ridiculous thing is that she is not doing anything particularly groundbreaking. She is keeping an eye on costs, releasing money for the upkeep of the stadium and to fund the team, she has picked the right people for the right positions and she is communicating like the professional she is. The best part of her comms is that they are not just cliched guff about "standing strong" "moving together" blah blah...it is practical solutions to the management of the club.

Reminds me a bit of Mercer when he first came in.

It really just shows how inept our previous owners (and most football club owners) really are.

Is that true about giving her a preview of tactics? I doubt she really needs the detail but I suspect it is a good way of knowing how focused Robbie is to each game and to the club in general.

Yep Robbie tells her so and so is slow because he's 34 now so we'll play balls over him and make him turn and chase our speedy wingers etc. ..

Was that quip in the context of actually selling the stadium naming rights?

Someone asked if we were speaking to anyone about stadium naming rights and the answer was no.

Reminds me a bit of Mercer when he first came in.

:spoton:

That's exactly what the new situation reminds me of. Better communication with the fans and treating them with respect rather than contempt.

It's always pleasing to get her communications as it tells us what we want to know and also where we are going as a club. I also like the transparency of these communications also, especially when you compare it to other clubs and what they need to put up with.

Someone asked if we were speaking to anyone about stadium naming rights and the answer was no.

Thanks.

Anyone else get a picture in their minds of Robbie's weekly meeting with Ann being like when the PM goes to see the Queen?

:lol:

Although Robbie has better hair than Dave does, but I can visualise Ann purring at his tactics.

Winston Ingram

The stadium is the key issue here going forward and I'd be disappointed if the club wasn't looking at this already. The main stand in current format cannot continue. Other parts of the ground now need regular patch-up work. It therefore becomes an issue of redeveloping what we have or looking, again, for an alternative local site.

Francis Albert

The shop being run as a franchise for the next two years was an interesting comment when asked about poor stock etc, and her preference for FoH board elections would be someone with marketing skills to bring to the table also interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not an implied criticism of FoH marketing is it? Ann - enemy of FoH! Seriously I think the point about the elected Director complementing the skill set of the existing FoH board is a good one and

should be a factor in our choice.

The stadium is the key issue here going forward and I'd be disappointed if the club wasn't looking at this already. The main stand in current format cannot continue. Other parts of the ground now need regular patch-up work. It therefore becomes an issue of redeveloping what we have or looking, again, for an alternative local site.

If the club are looking at creating a museum within Tynecastle, that suggests to me that's where we intend staying. The Main Stand is a problem that needs a long term solution though.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

If the club are looking at creating a museum within Tynecastle, that suggests to me that's where we intend staying. The Main Stand is a problem that needs a long term solution though.

A museum, tarted up old 'new sands' and a brand new main stand would be outstanding.

If Budge secures our long term Tynecastle future, I want her as First Minster when she leaves us.

it could be in the old club shop on Gorgie Road ... if so its easily shifted

Eric also mentioned the fact that FoH have a "turnover" of around 100 a month and the actual amount of pledgers is near the 10,000 mark, alyhough the average figure is just over 8,000. He cited people losing jobs, moving etc. as reasons for ceasing to pledge. He also stated the board were astonished by our attendances so far this season and if they continue if/when CL approaches him in January for funds it could be "looked at".

Ann mentioned that FoH will be running a "recruitment drive" nearer Christmas and although she didn't want to steal FoH's thunder - that a system of rewards or incentives could soon be introduced..............................get pledging non-pledgers!!!!!

All in all a very positive evening - we are in good hands Hearts fans! (IMO)

Let's just finished getting our house in order before we start moaning about the stadium.

agreed ... three or four years of sell outs and create demand for more capacity

it could be in the old club shop on Gorgie Road ... if so its easily shifted

Eric Hogg suggested a store room office next to the shop would be the museum location if it happens. I think it might be the room used to collect preordered tops in years gone by

The Treasurer

Let's just finished getting our house in order before we start moaning about the stadium.

Agreed it's not an immediate priority, but given the timescales involved in getting major construction projects off the ground (especially in Edinburgh) this is something that should be getting looked at and plans and funding getting put in place, regardless of whether it's updating the current facilities, a new main stand or even a whole new stadium.

Sooner or later the stadium issues will have to be addressed, better to be prepared when it does become a priority

Fxxx the SPFL

Agreed it's not an immediate priority, but given the timescales involved in getting major construction projects off the ground (especially in Edinburgh) this is something that should be getting looked at and plans and funding getting put in place, regardless of whether it's updating the current facilities, a new main stand or even a whole new stadium.

Sooner or later the stadium issues will have to be addressed, better to be prepared when it does become a priority

totally agree the old stand is costing us money year on year and something has to be done in the short and long term but better to plan ahead now.

Francis Albert

totally agree the old stand is costing us money year on year and something has to be done in the short and long term but better to plan ahead now.

I agree that thought should be given to replacing the main stand or moving, but what is the basis for the oft repeated assertion that the main stand is "costing us money year on year". Is it just Hibs.net

wishful thinking? The last accounts showed a few tens of thousands spent on maintenance for the whole of Tynecastle? As a longstanding main stand ST holder I haven't seen much evidence of the millions that have

supposedly been spent on the main stand.

Francis Albert

Eric also mentioned the fact that FoH have a "turnover" of around 100 a month and the actual amount of pledgers is near the 10,000 mark, alyhough the average figure is just over 8,000. He cited people losing jobs, moving etc. as reasons for ceasing to pledge. He also stated the board were astonished by our attendances so far this season and if they continue if/when CL approaches him in January for funds it could be "looked at".

Ann mentioned that FoH will be running a "recruitment drive" nearer Christmas and although she didn't want to steal FoH's thunder - that a system of rewards or incentives could soon be introduced..............................get pledging non-pledgers!!!!!

All in all a very positive evening - we are in good hands Hearts fans! (IMO)

Since there have been only 14 months of DDs so far that suggests 100 are leaving each month and almost entirely being replaced by new members (rather than returning old subscribers). FoH are having to run

quite hard to stand still. Slightly odd that Hearts rather than FoH should be providing this sort of info.

I agree that thought should be given to replacing the main stand or moving, but what is the basis for the oft repeated assertion that the main stand is "costing us money year on year". Is it just Hibs.net

wishful thinking? The last accounts showed a few tens of thousands spent on maintenance for the whole of Tynecastle? As a longstanding main stand ST holder I haven't seen much evidence of the millions that have

You and I both , just how much is it costing ?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Since there have been only 14 months of DDs so far that suggests 100 are leaving each month and almost entirely being replaced by new members (rather than returning old subscribers). FoH are having to run

quite hard to stand still. Slightly odd that Hearts rather than FoH should be providing this sort of info.

What makes you so sure none are people cancelling through necessity, and then returning once things are better again? What have I missed?

Francis Albert

What makes you so sure none are people cancelling through necessity, and then returning once things are better again? What have I missed?

Eric Hoggs statement (if accurately reported)? Just over 8000 members on average but close to 10,000 subscribers in total. I assumed he wasn't double counting by treating returning

subscribers in the total of subscribers.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Eric Hoggs statement? Just over 8000 members at any one time but close to 10,000 subscribers in total.

I'm not sure that suggests the break down of the floating 2k the way you think it must.

Francis Albert

I'm not sure that suggests the break down of the floating 2k the way you think it must.

I am not sure how else to interpret it. If we all drop out for a month and come back will that mean there are 18,000 subscribers?

The Treasurer

Whether subscribers are coming or going is not the main issue here, surely the fact that the 8k average has been maintained should be seen as a positive.

I wasn't at the meeting but it would seem to have been more of a casual remark rather than passing on of "info"

Don't see why it would be "odd" for FoH not to make this minor fact public, it would only be newsworthy if overall numbers rose or fell significantly

Eric Hoggs statement (if accurately reported)? Just over 8000 members on average but close to 10,000 subscribers in total. I assumed he wasn't double counting by treating returning

subscribers in the total of subscribers.

I think the if accurately reported)? bit is quite important

lets just wait until an official comment is made

Francis Albert

Whether subscribers are coming or going is not the main issue here, surely the fact that the 8k average has been maintained should be seen as a positive.

I wasn't at the meeting but it would seem to have been more of a casual remark rather than passing on of "info"

Don't see why it would be "odd" for FoH not to make this minor fact public, it would only be newsworthy if overall numbers rose or fell significantly

Of course that's a positive. But if (I repeat if) FoH is losing well over 1000 subscribers a year (in a period when things could hardly have gone better) then it maybe says something about the long term

viability of the project and/or of the need to do more to retain subscribers. Of course Eric Hogg may have been misquoted or have mis-spoken or have meant to say something else but on the face of it, it seemed a point worthy of noting and thinking about.

Francis Albert

I think the if accurately reported)? bit is quite important

lets just wait until an official comment is made

That's why I said "if accurately reported".

Fxxx the SPFL

is there anywhere in my post that mentions millions spent i only stated that it is costing us money each year and is not exactly in great nick. i have been in this stand for the last fifteen years and at some point in the future it's either going to have to be a major upgrade or a new stand.

jambos are go!

What he meant was that since FOH was launched there have been 10.000 who have subscribed. Natural wastage is around 100 per month that is roughly matched by new recruits of 100 per month. The result is a running average of 8000.He made this point to show that FOH is still recruiting and about to announce some incentives/rewards to recruit and retain subscribers. Subscription are thought to stop when folk run into tough financial times.

A bit bemused that they said there was no interest from any Bookmaker in taking on the betting franchise in the stadium. Thats contrary to what I heard from a Scotbet employee a few weeks ago who said they were in negotiations and hoping to strike a deal imminently. Cant both be right.

In any case why not take it in house for a season as a trial.

. No bookies in the stadium? I never noticed.

Fxxx the SPFL

What he meant was that since FOH was launched there have been 10.000 who have subscribed. Natural wastage is around 100 per month that is roughly matched by new recruits of 100 per month. The result is a running average of 8000.He made this point to show that FOH is still recruiting and about to announce some incentives/rewards to recruit and retain subscribers. Subscription are thought to stop when folk run into tough financial times.

i personally hope they don't go down the route of a reward scheme for current/new subscribers i am just happy as many others have said that we have a club to support and am in a position to contribute for as long as i am on this planet.

jambos are go!

Ann also said that they were looking to buy the Admin block and the old social club which both require expensive maintenance as a matter of urgency. I THINK they meant the Museum would be housed in the old shop under the Gorgie Stand. Favoured remaining at Tynecastle and not selling naming right but would not rule anything out altogether

He also said that people who stop subscribing are contacted to ask them why, so the claim that cancellations result from a worsening of personal finances is based on feedback from cancellers, not just an assumption. I was encouraged that cancellers are being matched by new donators. Without the impetus of needing to save the club, I had feared that people whose circumstances worsen might be quicker to cancel than those whose finances improve are to donate.

One point not yet made is that both Ann and Eric clearly regard themselves being part of both the Foundation and HMFC.

The Treasurer

Of course that's a positive. But if (I repeat if) FoH is losing well over 1000 subscribers a year (in a period when things could hardly have gone better) then it maybe says something about the long term

viability of the project and/or of the need to do more to retain subscribers. Of course Eric Hogg may have been misquoted or have mis-spoken or have meant to say something else but on the face of it, it seemed a point worthy of noting and thinking about.

But FoH are not losing 1000 subscribers if the numbers are being maintained. Only if numbers were to drop would there be cause for concern.

Many of those who cancel one month probably rejoin a couple of months down the line depending on personal circumstances

Footballfirst

Those numbers sound about right given what FoH has told us previously. 100 out of 8000 represents an attrition rate of 1.25% a month and is in keeping with FoH having achieved a 98%+ success with DD requests in any particular month. However 1.25% a month represents 15% per annum which is not such a good figure.

As FA said above. it is a concern that FoH is having to run so fast to stand still, in what are ideal circumstances in terms of the feel good factor around the club and the results on the park. If that level of attrition is maintained, then there would appear to be a significant risk that subscriptions will not be sufficient over the five year period needed to achieve fan ownership.

It demonstrates the importance to FoH to maintain existing pledges and seek new and increased pledges or other fundraising activities. I think that also reflects Ann's desire to encourage FoH to elect/appoint a director with Marketing experience.

is there anywhere in my post that mentions millions spent i only stated that it is costing us money each year and is not exactly in great nick. i have been in this stand for the last fifteen years and at some point in the future it's either going to have to be a major upgrade or a new stand.

So let's build a brand new stand/stadium at a cost of ?x million? Which will also cost to maintain.

I have faith in Budge to do it the right way.

The Treasurer

i personally hope they don't go down the route of a reward scheme for current/new subscribers i am just happy as many others have said that we have a club to support and am in a position to contribute for as long as i am on this planet.

Exactly the "reward" we are getting is still being able to watch our team

Guest Bilel Mohsni

But FoH are not losing 1000 subscribers if the numbers are being maintained. Only if numbers were to drop would there be cause for concern.

Many of those who cancel one month probably rejoin a couple of months down the line depending on personal circumstances

Absolutely this, imo. My own circumstances may involve me having to do this if I do not move from the end of my current contract straight in to another. I would imagine many of the 2k floaters will be similar.

I think it would be good for the FoH to introduce a payment holiday option.

If a payment has to be stopped for financial reasons, it takes another conversation with the wife, another sign up etc to get it going again.

A three or six month payment holiday option would be enough to keep most spouses happy and keep the commitment going so it doesn't become a guilty secret.

I think it would be a worthwhile compromise that might help keep the attrition rate down, would it be doable?

Guest Bilel Mohsni

I think it would be good for the FoH to introduce a payment holiday option.

If a payment has to be stopped for financial reasons, it takes another conversation with the wife, another sign up etc to get it going again.

A three or six month payment holiday option would be enough to keep most spouses happy and keep the commitment going so it doesn't become a guilty secret.

I think it would be a worthwhile compromise that might help keep the attrition rate down, would it be doable?

I think this is a good idea. If it's not expensive from an admin point of view.

If Craig Levein is going to react like that over a tap-in against Hibs, what's he going to do when The Prince strolls through the middle of the Celtic defence to score the winner in the Cup Final next May?

Does this mean they do rejoin or they don't?

Those numbers sound about right given what FoH has told us previously. 100 out of 8000 represents an attrition rate of 1.25% a month and is in keeping with FoH having achieved a 98%+ success with DD requests in any particular month. However 1.25% a month represents 15% per annum which is not such a good figure.

I would disagree. That is a fantastic figure.

To put it in perspective, an average health club chain loses 5% of it's members every month.

Those members are actually getting a tangible service for what they pay.

Foundation members get nothing other than the fact that their club still exists.

A better comparison would be charity DD's and it's not my field so I don't have the stats, but I'd be willing to bet that the average charity's retention rate is worse than FOH.

To achieve 98.75% retention on a monthly basis is a huge achievement.

No doubt a few will disappear at Christmas, but hopefully the planned benefits scheme will counteract this.

Archived