McCrae's Battalion Centenary, 28 November 2014

Ulysses

McCrae?s Battalion Centenary 1914-2014

One hundred years to the night...

Supporting Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland

Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Friday 28 November 2014

?Somewhere in France ? with love from the trenches?

On Friday 27 November 1914 a grand public meeting was held in the Usher Hall to inaugurate Lieutenant Colonel Sir George McCrae?s new Active Service battalion of the Royal Scots. The evening remains one of the most memorable and emotional moments in Edinburgh?s long history. By midnight three hundred volunteers had stepped forward ? among them thirteen players from Heart of Midlothian Football Club and fellow professionals from Raith Rovers, Falkirk, Hibernian, Dunfermline and East Fife. Sportsmen and supporters from countless other fields joined them and within five days the roll was full. Scotland?s sporting battalion went on to win undying fame on the killing fields of the Western Front, carrying Edinburgh?s name with pride and distinction, but at a terrible cost. More than a thousand officers and other ranks perished in the war. Many of them ? including most of the Hearts players ? have no known grave.

On Friday 28 November 2014 Edinburgh will remember McCrae?s Battalion with an evening of music, drama, song and previously unseen contemporary images from the McCrae's Battalion Collection. The script and songs are written by Jack Alexander and tell the poignant story of local footballer Harry Smith and his young wife Annie. Distinguished actor Ken Stott will act as narrator.

All profits will be divided equally between the military charities, Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland. In effect, the lads of 1914 will be helping their counterparts in today?s armed forces cope with the injuries sustained on active service in Afghanistan and other theatres. The same dreadful injuries as those sustained on the Western Front ? and at the same age. The life of a soldier has not changed much these past hundred years. McCrae?s legacy lies not in the history books, but in a living and breathing form of Remembrance with which everyone can engage.

We hope you?ll come along for a very special evening ... one hundred years to the night.

Doors open 19.00

Audience seated for 19.30

Tickets available online and in person from the Usher Hall

Full price adult ?19.14

Concession ?15.00

Child ?10.00

Adult and Child combination ticket ?25.00

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this has been posted already, but I'm posting it again to bring it BTTT.

Supporting Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland

Usher Hall, Edinburgh

Friday 28 November 2014

Full price adult ?19.14

Concession ?15.00

Child ?10.00

Tickets are available online from the Usher Hall at this link:

http://www.usherhall.co.uk/en-GB/shows/mccrae%27s%20battalion/info

Will be picking up tickets for this.

What I would ask is whether it is being advertised and pushed to the fans of Hibs, Raith and Falkirk? If it is a celebration of McCrae's then it should be.

I wish I could go, alas I will be in Baghdad or Basra. Are there any links to give donations to this event? I regularly give to H4H , indeed I raised 25k plus, a couple of years back beating my erchie up and down the Pyrenees cycling the RAID, but I'd like to donate to this particular evening if possible.

Are there any links to give donations to this event? I regularly give to H4H , indeed I raised 25k plus, a couple of years back beating my erchie up and down the Pyrenees cycling the RAID, but I'd like to donate to this particular evening if possible.

The only thing I can think of for people who want to contribute would be to buy a ticket even though they won't be able to go. Maybe they could donate it to someone else? I'm not sure what else would work, as I don't think there is a donation option.

Hope this helps.

What I would ask is whether it is being advertised and pushed to the fans of Hibs, Raith and Falkirk? If it is a celebration of McCrae's then it should be.

As far as I know it has been - it was actually posted here a while ago as well.

Son Of Anarchy

Taking the whole family along to this. Should be fantastic. Met Jack when he was researching the book as our great grandfather was SGT Andrew Adams of McCraes battalion.

As far as I know it has been - it was actually posted here a while ago as well.

No worries, just curious. I have a few friends from the green side of the city who hadn't heard about it until I mentioned it this morning.

No worries, just curious. I have a few friends from the green side of the city who hadn't heard about it until I mentioned it this morning.

It was posted on .net and elsewhere but was shot down in flames by their overzealous admins and placed in a sub forum somewhere after they had had their usual rant about it being jambos winning the war on their own. I honestly think the admins over there are one of the major causes of the schism that has developed between fans of both clubs

It was posted on .net and elsewhere but was shot down in flames by their overzealous admins and placed in a sub forum somewhere after they had had their usual rant about it being jambos winning the war on their own. I honestly think the admins over there are one of the major causes of the schism that has developed between fans of both clubs

. They really are a bunch of cretins....

Will be picking up tickets for this.

Definitely been pushed to Dunfermline fans. I know somebody who's involved with their equivalent of the Foundation. His party to the event also included Raith fans.

Bringing this BTTT.

On Friday 28 November 2014 Edinburgh will remember McCrae?s Battalion with an evening of music, drama, song and previously unseen contemporary images from the McCrae's Battalion Collection. The script and songs are written by Jack Alexander and tell the poignant story of local footballer Harry Smith and his young wife Annie. Distinguished actor Ken Stott will act as narrator.

All profits will be divided equally between the military charities, Help for Heroes and Poppy Scotland.

Doors open 19.00

Audience seated for 19.30

Tickets available online and in person from the Usher Hall

Full price adult ?19.14

Concession ?15.00

Child ?10.00

Jack Alexander

We have no plans to record the concert for DVD, but anyone who might be able to help make it happen is welcome to get in touch.

The initial announcement about the concert was put on all the fans' message-boards. Unfortunately my occasional appearances on hibs.net are now seen as 'provocative' and the thread deteriorated into a load of poppy bill nonsense. The decent guys who posted in support of the event were lost in the crowd. I'm pleased to say, however, that Hibernian FC will be represented on the night and I'd like to think that a good few of their followers will come along, too. This is a night for the whole battalion and (as ever with McCrae's) everybody's welcome.

I got a ticket for this today.looking forward to it.

I wonder how many people will wear the home top for this or wear maroon clothing for the sake of it.

Son Of Anarchy

I wonder how many people will wear the home top for this or wear maroon clothing for the sake of it.

We certainly are as our tops bare the name of our fallen relative.

Unfortunately, I'll be in England that weekend for a work event. However, will gladly donate the cost of a ticket, as long as it can go for resale, or if someone on here wants it, PM me.

Sorry to hijack a thread, but it is somewhat related.

Does anyone know when the details for the 2015 Contalmaison Pilgrimage will be available? Or even just the approximate cost(looking to send my parents on this as a Christmas gift)

Certainly won't be as it's not a Hearts event.

I am just in from a wee preview of some of the material to be performed on the night and can highly recommend people go along to this event

Sorry to hijack a thread, but it is somewhat related.

Does anyone know when the details for the 2015 Contalmaison Pilgrimage will be available? Or even just the approximate cost(looking to send my parents on this as a Christmas gift)

That's a wonderful gift. Full marks to you.

Keep your eye on this site for the info you need.

http://www.mccraesbattaliontrust.org.uk/

We have no plans to record the concert for DVD, but anyone who might be able to help make it happen is welcome to get in touch.

The initial announcement about the concert was put on all the fans' message-boards. Unfortunately my occasional appearances on hibs.net are now seen as 'provocative' and the thread deteriorated into a load of poppy bill nonsense. The decent guys who posted in support of the event were lost in the crowd. I'm pleased to say, however, that Hibernian FC will be represented on the night and I'd like to think that a good few of their followers will come along, too. This is a night for the whole battalion and (as ever with McCrae's) everybody's welcome.

Has it been posted on the other Hibs forum, Hibees Bounce? The posters on it are generally motivated by their support of Hibs, unlike the ones on Hibs.net, who seem to hate Hearts more than they love Hibs.

Jack Alexander

Thanks, Gibbo. The suggestion about Hibees Bounce was made to me last night, too. I've just emailed the admins asking if they'd be prepared to help.

Anybody able to provide a bit more info on what to expect on the night? The Usher hall site doesn't offer much info.

I'm sure I read from somewhere (Jack's OP on Hibs.net?) that the night show itself will primarily focus on one of the volunteers who played for Hibs.

I hope there is a signifcant attendance, including official attendance from Hibs.

Thanks for bring this production to my attention -

Attending with four of my friends ?

World War 1 Centenary ? Contains one Hearts image

Jack Alexander

Posted Today, 22:26

Got my ticket today looking forward to it!!

You don't need a ticket. You're playing!

Craig Herbertson

Not too long after all the excitement, tears and worry of signing up, the volunteers from Hearts, Hibs, Raith, Falkirk, Dunfermline, junior and amateur teams, sportsmen and fans across the East Coast left Edinburgh, many for ever, the rest returning to shattered lives. This picture of the resting place of a few of McCraes Battalion sums it up for me; taken by the daughter of the Mayoress of Contalmaison. It shows that even a hundred years on, they still care about the sacrifice of these Scottish soldiers.

Contalmaison Winter

If the snow comes early that'll be the picture in my mind on the 28th November a hundred years to the evening when those lads volunteered - some of them as young as fifteen - which is not much older than my youngest son who is desperate to be a professional footballer.

Nobody on the morning of the The first Battle of the Somme was thinking of football except maybe with regret for the good times gone. Regardless of my feelings about war as a terrible thing or my desire that it ends, one of its consequences is men and women killed or injured physically and mentally. I've met many in France struggling to get their lives back together. There is a lot unspoken but behind the face you see that some of them have been through hell. This will be a unique event. No one living today will be there if the battalion is commemorated again at the Usher Hall in a hundred years.

I'm very proud and privileged to be taking a small part in the Commemoration and hoping it raises a lot of much needed resources for the charities. It will be some night.

Other McCraes events taking place include -

The Scarf - a play inspired by the true story of McCrae's Battalion. It's at Howden Park Centre in Livingston on the 10th & 11th November at 19.30. Tickets are ?6 and box office is 01506 777 666

Not requiring tickets there is a service in commemoration of the centenary of the raising of McCrae's in the Parish of St.Cuthbert taking place in St.Cuthbert's Church on Thursday 27th November at 12.45 (entry from Kings Stables Road or Lothian Road). All are welcome to this community event.

Craig Herbertson

I'm hoping to attend St Cuthbert's and I'll be singing a couple of songs at The Scarf on both nights. It's a very moving play - the laughs make it more poignant and its pretty hard to believe that some of the soldiers in McCrae's were actually younger than the school kids taking part. They do a great job but be warned - it's a tearjerker...

Not too long after all the excitement, tears and worry of signing up, the volunteers from Hearts, Hibs, Raith, Falkirk, Dunfermline, junior and amateur teams, sportsmen and fans across the East Coast left Edinburgh, many for ever, the rest returning to shattered lives. This picture of the resting place of a few of McCraes Battalion sums it up for me; taken by the daughter of the Mayoress of Contalmaison. It shows that even a hundred years on, they still care about the sacrifice of these Scottish soldiers.

If the snow comes early that'll be the picture in my mind on the 28th November a hundred years to the evening when those lads volunteered - some of them as young as fifteen - which is not much older than my youngest son who is desperate to be a professional footballer.

Nobody on the morning of the The first Battle of the Somme was thinking of football except maybe with regret for the good times gone. Regardless of my feelings about war as a terrible thing or my desire that it ends, one of its consequences is men and women killed or injured physically and mentally. I've met many in France struggling to get their lives back together. There is a lot unspoken but behind the face you see that some of them have been through hell. This will be a unique event. No one living today will be there if the battalion is commemorated again at the Usher Hall in a hundred years.

I'm very proud and privileged to be taking a small part in the Commemoration and hoping it raises a lot of much needed resources for the charities. It will be some night.

Well said.

Other McCraes events taking place include -

The Scarf - a play inspired by the true story of McCrae's Battalion. It's at Howden Park Centre in Livingston on the 10th & 11th November at 19.30. Tickets are ?6 and box office is 01506 777 666

Not requiring tickets there is a service in commemoration of the centenary of the raising of McCrae's in the Parish of St.Cuthbert taking place in St.Cuthbert's Church on Thursday 27th November at 12.45 (entry from Kings Stables Road or Lothian Road). All are welcome to this community event.

You can also buy tickets for it online: http://www.howdenparkcentre.co.uk/events/theatre/the_scarf_west_calder_school

I went to see it last year and thought it was really good. Definitely recommend it.

Archived