Paul Gascoigne

Marvin

Shame.

I look forward to another thread of people on their high-horse about alcoholism. At least we won't get the Lawson debate where his violent and abusive character doesn't matter because he was a really good player.

Shame.

I look forward to another thread of people on their high-horse about alcoholism. At least we won't get the Lawson debate where his violent and abusive character doesn't matter because he was a really good player.

Alcoholism is an illness and an incurable one at that it can be managed but never cured. It kills and ruined many a life and those around it. We are sometimes flippant with drink and it excess consumption most can handle it (it could end our lives through its excess) for some sadly it devastated their life. Paul is unfortunately another who will succum to it.

Bridge of Djoum

Alcoholism is an illness and an incurable one at that it can be managed but never cured. It kills and ruined many a life and those around it. We are sometimes flippant with drink and it excess consumption most can handle it (it could end our lives through its excess) for some sadly it devastated their life. Paul is unfortunately another who will succum to it.

Is that true, it's incurable?

He's mentally ill and has been for some time. And he's an alcoholic. Its a toxic combination and I hope gets better.

He's been on borrowed time for years and probably shouldn't still be with us. Sad to see.

Is that true, it's incurable?

Yes, you can take drugs to suppress the craving, it's called Antabuse often used but in the end the desire for drink is always there.

Teuchterjambo

Some of the stuff on here is pretty despicable , in all probability the man is close to death and people can't see past being vindictive and disparaging. He has done some pretty awful things in his life and he has also given pleasure to millions, he suffers from mental and alcoholic illness and still people want to berate him.

It says more about these people than it does about Paul Gascoigne that they post their poison on the subject. They must lead such good lives to occupy their high moral ground and pronounce judgments on others.

Wife beating alcoholic ringpiece of a man.

No sympathy here.

Harsh imo

The guy has probably had mental health problems dating back to before he signed for Rangers, but because how mental illness was seen it was never properly dealt with.

Some of the stuff on here is pretty despicable , in all probability the man is close to death and people can't see past being vindictive and disparaging. He has done some pretty awful things in his life and he has also given pleasure to millions, he suffers from mental and alcoholic illness and still people want to berate him.

It says more about these people than it does about Paul Gascoigne that they post their poison on the subject. They must lead such good lives to occupy their high moral ground and pronounce judgments on others.

From my own personal experience TJ, "alcoholism" is still looked down upon by a lot of people.

I will admit that i also used to look down at alcoholics...... but now my brother and best mate has been alcoholic for 3 years.

It is harrowing and brutal stuff.

I would not wish alcoholism on my worst enemy!

But i can still empathize with people who have no experience of alcoholism and think that alcoholics bring it upon themselves.

People will usually never understand the devastating effects of alcoholism until they are directly affected by it.

I sincerely hope Paul gets better, but i honestly feel that his days are now very much numbered.

He's not a lost cause.

Until he dies, there's always a chance.

I would love it if Gazza manages to fight his demons Sifter.

From my own personal experience TJ, "alcoholism" is still looked down upon by a lot of people.

I will admit that i also used to look down at alcoholics...... but now my brother and best mate has been alcoholic for 3 years.

But i can still empathize with people who have no experience of alcoholism and think that alcoholics bring it upon themselves.

People will usually never understand the devastating effects of alcoholism until they are directly affected by it.

I sincerely hope Paul gets better, but i honestly feel that his days are now very much numbered.

Agree with this, 100%.

It's relatively easy to understand in a few bullet points.

Paul Gascoigne was a great player.

It's terrible to see any human being going through this.

Nobody condones spousal abuse.

I hope he pulls through, but I reckon he's too far gone.

Teuchterjambo

I agree with most of what you say and like you I have seen the effect on people close to me and the suffering it causes.

The irony is that alcoholics do bring it on themselves , the issue is once they have done so it becomes a medical issue that they are not in control of. It is no different to someone suffering from lung cancer as a result of smoking but I don't see the same self righteous nonsense spoken about that.

I agree with most of what you say and like you I have seen the effect on people close to me and the suffering it causes.

The irony is that alcoholics do bring it on themselves , the issue is once they have done so it becomes a medical issue that they are not in control of. It is no different to someone suffering from lung cancer as a result of smoking but I don't see the same self righteous nonsense spoken about that.

I would feel quite devastated if i had a family member who had lung cancer, so im not really sure what point you are making here.

Teuchterjambo

I would feel quite devastated if i had a family member who had lung cancer, so im not really sure what point you are making here.

There are people on here who are sitting in judgement saying that Gascoigne brought this on himself and in terms of becoming an alcoholic he has and is now suffering from an illness which is in all likliehood terminal. I see no difference in someone succumbing to the addiction of smoking and tragically ending up with lung cancer as a result. Both are the consequences to an addiction which can have tragic and fatal results.

Nobody sets out to be an addict to whatever the substance and I just think Gascoigne is getting some nasty stick on here that is pretty sour in the circumstances.

Not true at all. People take up smoking knowing it's addictive. Almost everyone has a drink, for some, they will have no idea how gripping it is for them until it's too late.

Not true at all. People take up smoking knowing it's addictive. Almost everyone has a drink, for some, they will have no idea how gripping it is for them until it's too late.

Smoking is not addictive to everyone. Not is drink. But both are for some, as are many other things, and it is an illness

There are people on here who are sitting in judgement saying that Gascoigne brought this on himself and in terms of becoming an alcoholic he has and is now suffering from an illness which is in all likliehood terminal. I see no difference in someone succumbing to the addiction of smoking and tragically ending up with lung cancer as a result. Both are the consequences to an addiction which can have tragic and fatal results.

Nobody sets out to be an addict to whatever the substance and I just think Gascoigne is getting some nasty stick on here that is pretty sour in the circumstances.

Ahaa, i understand and agree with you now.

Carl Fredrickson

One of the greatest players I have seen play in the flesh. Not getting involved with the debate about his alcoholism but the photos in the last few weeks have shown a person in serious decline.

Shame for those who are close to him and love him - it must be worse seeing things played out in the press.

ANDREWKIDD1874

Actually fed up of the Gascogne stuff the guy was magical with ball at his feet and very funny man. I am very annoyed wth him he has had loads of help of the years that some people would really appreciate but he keeps going backwards and it's about time he got a grip of himself or he's going to an early grave

Teuchterjambo

I think the vast majority of people now know that drink can be addictive and that there is a serious danger to health when taken in excess. My point is that drink and tobacco are taken willingly in full knowledge of the potential consequences. The consequences in both cases can be tragic and therefore and should be viewed in a similar way. I'd bet that if Paul Gacoigne was dying from a smoking related disease he would not be getting the stick he is.

Anyway ... I wish him all the best but the outlook is looking a bit bleak.

It's all very sad. Nobody deserves to have their lowest point splashed over that rag of a paper. Hope he comes good but it'll be a long road.

I have four relatives who have dealt or not dealt with alcoholism. Three brothers in law and a cousin. Two were my wifes brothers, they were loggers, went to the camps in the boonies worked hard for a fairly long period, camer out of the woods with a barrowload of money, spent it in the beer parlour iuntil they were broke and returned to the woods. Both ended up that they spent less time in the woods and more time on the beer. One lost his wife and family but kept drinking. He begged to come back a couple of times andwas was accepted and fell back to drinking. He went back one more and his wife wwho had found religion told him if he stopped drinking joined her i9n her beliefs he could come back. He did and never went back to drinking, he became quite high in the Church, and ran a good office cleaning business. A good story, and believe it or not became Jehovahs Witnesses, for him it worked well.

His brother lived all his fairly long life as an alcoholic, every one said he is a nice drunk, he could work but wasn't dependable.

I have four relatives who have dealt or not dealt with alcoholism. Three brothers in law and a cousin. Two were my wifes brothers, they were loggers, went to the camps in the boonies worked hard for a fairly long period, camer out of the woods with a barrowload of money, spent it in the beer parlour iuntil they were broke and returned to the woods. Both ended up that they spent less time in the woods and more time on the beer. One lost his wife and family but kept drinking. He begged to come back a couple of times andwas was accepted and fell back to drinking. He went back one more and his wife wwho had found religion told him if he stopped drinking joined her i9n her beliefs he could come back. He did and never went back to drinking, he became quite high in the Church, and ran a good office cleaning business. A good story, and believe it or not became Jehovahs Witnesses, for him it worked well.

His brother lived all his fairly long life as an alcoholic, every one said he is a nice drunk, he could work but wasn't dependable.

Apologies for the awful typing I tried to edit and add some more but obviously took too long and didn't get it done.

His football career is almost irrelevant now other than the fact it's the reason his steady decline is being documented in the press.

No matter what you think of his behaviour or his background it's horrific to watch someone in terminal decline like this.

It's also kind of amazing that for a country with so many affected by alcoholism that so many are so lacking in empathy of any sort. It's an illness, it's not a voluntary state. An illness. And an awful one at that.

**** him no sympathy either had chance after chance. Its his family and friends my sympathys lie with.

He's ill though eh?

According to some bleeding hearts on here,alcoholism is a condition that excuses all manner of behaviour.like i said before.he was an arsehole without a drink and as for the mental illness!.people with worse have accepted help and also responsibility and became better people for it.i don't take any pleasure in his predicament but for christ's sake!,all the excuses do my head in.

Sorry if already posted, but just came across this story on the former Spurs and England legend. He is in a right mess and has been sectioned. Think Spurs should be commended for supporting him through his troubled times.

http://home.bt.com/n...-11363939344832

All his own fault.

Drunken wife-beating tosser

Guest C00l K1d

His football career is almost irrelevant now other than the fact it's the reason his steady decline is being documented in the press.

No matter what you think of his behaviour or his background it's horrific to watch someone in terminal decline like this.

It's also kind of amazing that for a country with so many affected by alcoholism that so many are so lacking in empathy of any sort. It's an illness, it's not a voluntary state. An illness. And an awful one at that.

My girlfriends sister is suffering from an eating disorder just now and I'd say it's pretty comparable.

You could say she "brought it on herself" and then it spiralled out of control ala Gaza but I don't think the blame lies on her at all.

If you seen her you'd think she doesn't want to get better and it's her choice to be like that but it's a mental illness and so is any form of addiction.

I sympathise with Gazza he didn't know how to handle the fame like he thought it could and it all got on top of him. That said I think he is beyond help. The damage he's done to his mental state has passed the point of "repair" and I think it's only a matter of time before its the death of him.

Not that we should give up trying.

Archived